Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League One Tues 28 Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League One Tues 28 Jan 7.45pm

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Oh well, can't win them all. Still in the play offs as it stands, and unless Posh win tomorrow, we'll be there for the weekend.

3 tough games coming up now though. Would be happy with 5-6 points from them.
Last edited by Jolly Johnny on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 pm

proves my point about it not being the FIRST GOAL but rather MORE GOALS

And Smith & Brandy spoke too soon......goal success can't be based on one isolated game in the season in bad weather conditions.

Walsall needed to win today, consistency is what they need...they never string any wins together.....just win/draw/win/draw....but it may make the play offs close.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 pm

sallian wrote:consistency is what they need...they never string any wins together.....just win/draw/win/draw....but it may make the play offs close.

If you average 2 points a game, over 46 games a season that'd be 92 points and promotion!! :wink:

Granted, we need to put a few wins on the trot together though, to cement the play off place.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 pm

I'd happily take win/draw/win/draw between now and the end of the season. We'd probably get top two with that.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Based on the opposition commentary, it seems that we should have won that one. Swindon will certainly be happier with the point, but in the great scheme of things no real harm done. And its certainly a reminder that we need a striker as soon as possible.

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 pm

kevin wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:Can someone lobotomise this sallian bod?

Posts on this topic by Sallian.........................12.

Posts of any interest by Sallian.......................0.

% posts of any interest by Sallian....................0%

they all went above your head. The validity of my posts are not based upon the opinions of people on this board. Their value and sense stand out by themselves in the eyes of the wise.

Kevin 0 Sallian 3 (after only 5 minutes)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Hemmings shot hits the Swindon bar, 92nd minute, but it finishes 1-1.

Did it hit the bar? On the radio they thought the keeper saved it and a goal kick was wrongly given. Sounded a decent effort from Hemmings regardless.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

sallian wrote:
kevin wrote:

they all went above your head. The validity of my posts are not based upon the opinions of people on this board. Their value and sense stand out by themselves in the eyes of the wise.

Sallian why do you never appear to be actually attending a game involving Walsall FC?

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:
kevin wrote:

Sallian why do you never appear to be actually attending a game involving Walsall FC?

because i live far away. i attended some this season, used to attend many more in the olden days.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm

The main thing tonight was to avoid defeat.
That might sound ridiculous for a home match, but the last thing we needed was to let Swindon back into the mix.
We were unlucky not to win that.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 pm

leics_saddler wrote:The main thing tonight was to avoid defeat.
That might sound ridiculous for a home match, but the last thing we needed was to let Swindon back into the mix.
We were unlucky not to win that.

its better than a loss but its the sort of result that adds up to not making the play offs

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Deserved to win with all those first half chances.

Same problem still prevenant though, we create and create, but can never finish off without it being a 1 on 1 with the goalie. The only one who does shoot when they get into the good positions is Westcarr, and event though he is class at bringing others into play, he is not someone I would call clinical.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 pm

4059 the announced attendance, seemed more though.

Had the possession to win the game, but couldn't quite make it happen.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Chomper wrote:I'd happily take win/draw/win/draw between now and the end of the season. We'd probably get top two with that.

no i don't think so, look at the records of Orient, Brentford .....its one strip of green [wins] with sporadic grey [draws] and even less red [losses]

win draw will make the play offs probably...but thats if they don't mess up like last season at the last hurdle...by losing a whole bunch of games they should win!

A good run of wins gives you a cushion.....also consider that injuries might happen....suspensions etc.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Deserved to win with all those first half chances.

Same problem still prevenant though, we create and create, but can never finish off without it being a 1 on 1 with the goalie. The only one who does shoot when they get into the good positions is Westcarr, and event though he is class at bringing others into play, he is not someone I would call clinical.

This is why I say they should have Lalkovic central and advanced....he is most likely to score and has the tools to create chances himself.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Swindon only wanted a point and were given one. Not a bad result on paper, but Swindon looked there for the taking in the first half and were let off. Infact they were crap. They have some good players though so if you dont score a second you know they can put one good cross in to the bog standard big 9 foot lump of league one and score. That all they had, and its annoying we couldnt beat such a poor looking side. We also played some outstanding stuff in the first half without the finishing touch.

Very same old same old. All pretty stuff infront of the box, fancy flicks and stuff at 1-0 up. Always knew Swindon were gonna score. We seemed content on keeping the ball without trying to score a second. Always gonna bite you on the arse.

Mantom was immense, so was A Chambers. Sawyers should have seen taken off earlier, good finish for the goal though. BRandy looked shagged by the time he was subbed.

cack weather and a boring second half. Froze my bollocks off.

Hemmings was unlucky at the end, what an effort.

Benning continues to impress me, even though he has the odd brainfart. Not sure he has learnt "goalside" yet, but he is great going forward.

Smith still afraid of substitutions before 80minutes.

Our Corners are hilariously cack. Has anyone got a stat of when we last scored from one? :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

That was frustrating.

Played some lovely stuff first half producing plenty of chances and corners. Brandy hit one just wide of the top corner and Westcarr had a couple of half chances, although his best opportunity was lost through a poor first touch. Fabulous move and cool finish for the goal.
Second half, I thought there was a bit of showboating going on - there's a fine line between confidence and over confidence. Lalkovic was quieter, Brandy started trying to run through people and Sawyers seemed to run out if steam before being taken off. You sort of thought they would grab one. Then, frustratingly, we upped the tempo, however, it was not to be.
Overall a good performance, but we needed to go for the jugular when so much on top. Mantom deserved MOM. Brandy and Sawyers were superb first half and the back four and keeper looked comfortable all night.

A special mention for their keeper - barclays.

UTS

As for Latvian's question about corners. Why is there only about three feet between th corner spot and the perimeter boards?
Last edited by chestersaddler on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

sallian wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Deserved to win with all those first half chances.

This is why I say they should have Lalkovic central and advanced....he is most likely to score and has the tools to create chances himself.

Like I have said before, he is a waste centrally, we tried that for the first third of the season and it didn't work. Taking Lalkovic and putting him up front just makes out attack about as lightweight as you can get it, Westcarr is the only one with a bit of muscle up top. Sawyers is talented but for a big lad he is gets brushed aside easily and can't really go toe to toe with the centre halves.

Secondly, coming up against League 1 defences he will get slaughted, we are not the type of team that plays with a quick striker. League 1 defenders a big and strong, and teams only get away with the small quick guy up front if they have someone big to support him, ala' Wells and Hanson at Bradford; on their own they get brushed aside.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Fair result in the end. We shoulda seen them off first half. Sawyers is so frustrating. Bags of skill and vision but can't put his foot in for toffee.

The funniest part of the night was the bloke who phoned Radio Dingle to say we need to increase the size of our pitch. Yeah, let's put 5 yards on the length and 10 on the width :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm

tinned wrote:The funniest part of the night was the bloke who phoned Radio Dingle to say we need to increase the size of our pitch. Yeah, let's put 5 yards on the length and 10 on the width :D

May as well. We don't need the seats :wink: (it wor me btw)

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:09 pm

I cringe everytime that bloke gets on the phone in :roll: frustrating night we really had the chances to finish them off first half . Six goals in two games is great but how many chances missed ? Got to be in double figures. Onwards to Northampton Saturday . Up the Saddlers forever !!

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:09 pm

sallian wrote:
kevin wrote:

they all went above your head.

Sallian .............your posts wouldn't go over the head of Bernie Ecclestone, standing in a very deep hole.
Last edited by kevin on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 pm

That Alan bloke on WM makes the ride home unbearable sometimes, cause it seems like that on the rare occasion a Walsall fan comes on WM they are either a nutter or they haven't been to the game.

Can we get some normal people on WM representing us in the future?

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Don't say this often, but for me smith got it wrong tonight. The game was crying out for a change after 55-60 minutes and he waited too long. Then he took off probably the one player who could of won us that game in Brandy, instead he should of taken off the anonymous Lalkovic. Thought our overall play was disappointing, particularly in the 2nd half.
Also thought Swindon did very well in limiting us to long range shots,
but they had the worst crowd ive seen all season, not a peep.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 pm

decent game both teams tried to play, we were very good first half and again westy split their defence more than once but i thought he was one of several players who faded in the second half after a good start. they doubled up on brandy, but i thought milan was very quiet and thought we should have brought hemmings on much earlier (he looked very lively when he came on and was unlucky when he hit the bar). benning was particularly unlucky with a pile driver too. brandy came close first half and westcarr headed just over. the only chance i remember them creating was the goal which came down our right and we had been trying to get purkiss on for chambers before it happened. i assume he had picked up a nock. still plenty of time left and im sure we can finish in the top six.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:19 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Hemmings shot hits the Swindon bar, 92nd minute, but it finishes 1-1.

Did it hit the bar? On the radio they thought the keeper saved it and a goal kick was wrongly given. Sounded a decent effort from Hemmings regardless.

I thought it hit the bar. Never looked like going in from where I was sitting

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:That Alan bloke on WM makes the ride home unbearable sometimes, cause it seems like that on the rare occasion a Walsall fan comes on WM they are either a nutter or they haven't been to the game.

Can we get some normal people on WM representing us in the future?

Nah give him more air time I say. He's part of the match day experience for me. The way he talks reminds me of Grandad on only Fools and Horses.

I always assumed he phoned in on a mobile, but he had the radio on in the background tonight, so he must live pretty close to the ground.

Reeco

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 pm

My first game for a while. I was really impressed with the football. Brandy looked dangerous, Chambers and Mamton were running midfield and Benning looks a real prospect at left back. We should have had the game won by half time. The most frustrating thing of the night was our set pieces. We had numerous corners and free kicks around the box but the delivery was shocking. I can only remember 1 Swindon corner we didn't clear it properly,it gets played back in for a simple header gutting!
Overall I enjoyed it and think we have a great chance of grabbing a play off spot

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:37 pm

As others have said - a very frustrating evening. Swindon are a decent side but the 3 points were there for the taking. Our weakness in the air was once again apparent. We do not have a single attacking player capable of heading the ball while being challenged. This presumably explains why Westcarr, despite his height, takes the corner-kicks. Sawyers is even taller and even weaker in the air.

Unlike the recent Gillingham game, our possession football did carve out chances but all bar one went begging. The one-man UTS jizz-fest that is Westcarr produced a superb, sublime pass to set up the goal for Sawyers but that was about his only significant contribution. His first touch was often poor and his finishing was dreadful - he should have had a hat-trick easily. Of course, he was not alone in the finishing deficiency - Lalkovic, like Sawyers, continues to frustrate - so much talent and so little end product in terms of goals. I suspect that this is why our away performances are often better than the home ones. When away, the home team usually presses forward more and this gives our attacking players that little bit extra room.

In midfield, Mantom was outstanding - the best player on the pitch by a mile. For once, the sponsors got the MotM award right! :D . I just wish that he would shoot because he has got a cracking shot.

Tonight's substitutions - I agree with Deano_Saddler - DS and ROK got it wrong tonight.It should have been Lalkovic off (earlier) for Hemmings.

I see that Coventry got dicked tonight and they may be selling Clarke to the Dingles before the weekend. Another away win there, I think, but unlikely to be another 5-goal romp, sadly :(

Finally - "Alan" on Radio Dingle. Has he ever recorded his contribution and played it back so that he could realise that he sounds like a complete moron? I'm sure that Radio Dingle always calls him so that all Saddlers fans sound like cretins!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 pm

I think I'd probably still count that as two points dropped, even if Swindon are no mugs. We were our own worst enemies at times in that second half - trying to take the Mickey out of them with one too many fancy flicks or high-risk passes before they grabbed what had become an increasingly likely equaliser.

I don't think Smith necessarily got anything wring tonight, but the last 20 minutes did show how much we're lacking a plan B. All our subs tend to be like for like, which is rarely enough to make our opposition have to think about things. And as much as I love Westcarr, I thought he had a bit of a stinker other than his touch for the goal. That's why he plays for Walsall though - worldy one game, not at the races the next.

On a positive note, our goal was top drawer - slick as it comes around the penalty box. Brandy looked a real livewire again, and Mantom was absolutely everywhere. We also managed to score so soon after their goalie had tried to get Butler booked that we made him look a bit silly.

No real complaints about tonight - just a frustration that without something different up top, we continue to make this playoff push a lot more difficult than it could be otherwise.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season