Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League One Tues 28 Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
PT
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (H) League One Tues 28 Jan 7.45pm

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Very similar to the Tranmere game. Should have been out of sight by half time having played some brilliant stuff that just lacked a finish (how many times have we said that?)

Second half our front four ran out of steam, became very lethargic, sloppy and between them cost us two points. Sawyers and Westcarr became really bad and whilst I understand why people are saying that Dean should have switched it earlier, in reality we don't have a plan B or rather the personnel to execute a Plan B. Which is exactly why we still need a proper striker. Westcarr isn't it. He needs 7 chances to score and tonight only had six so didn't. I like him as a footballer but he isn't a centre-forward.

Our corners are so bad, as Latvian said they are now laughable. The one just before half-time was a complete shambles.

Still, Swindon treat a draw at Bescot like a cup final win and we're all a bit gutted. Says a lot.

Only around 3,700 Walsall fans. Championship? We are indeed having a laugh.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 pm

PT wrote:Our corners are so bad, as Latvian said they are now laughable. The one just before half-time was a complete shambles.

In all fairness, we've quite clearly been working on a couple of routines to try to change that, and two of those came agonisingly close to goals against Brentford. One tonight lead to a blocked shot. I agree that in the main, our corners are woeful, but if you want a side of little'uns playing easy on the eye, one touch football, the downside is next to no threat from crosses and corners. It's Butler or bust.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

great first half except for poor finishing which cost us in the end. as for the 2nd half, well I'm still wondering myself. must go down as 2 points lost but we are still 6th for now at least. still need a striker or we won't be there at the end of the season

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:14 am

Our bad days at the office are now games where we're about 80% of our peak performance and still manage to outplay the side in 8th so feel disappointed with a point. That for me is progress. Didn't quite click for whatever reason, we definitely need another option instead of Sawyers/Westcarr week in week out. But 7 games unbeaten is good and hopefully we can keep the run going on Saturday.

By the way, if anyone's still looking for us to show 'ambition' by splashing the cash, Swindon's goalscorer would have set you back 200k. Worth it?

JAL-WFC

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 am

Performances like that are the reason we wont make the play-offs. How many times this season have we said that? We could and should have been 2-0 by half time, killing the game off since Swindon posed no threat whatsoever. Only way they were going to score was from a set piece or header... Typical Walsall allowing them back into the game and dropping 2 points.

It does show how far we have come though, which is a testament to the squad Smith's put together.

We play such good football and it is a pleasure to watch. It is just so frustrating that we dont have a clinical end product. Hopefully we get a striker in by the weekend, allowing Westcarr to play in his best position. Nothing against Swayers as he has been a revelation this season, but he is the only one in the team that potentially could be dropped without disrupting the way we play. His goal today was beautifully worked and well dispatched; if only we could be so clinical in 50% of the chances we make!!

Nobody played badly today, although Milan was fairly anonymous throughout. The wing play and movement of all 4 attacking players in the first half was encouraging, helped by a very good performance by Benning, who seems to be maturing into a fine fullback. The Mantom/Chambers partnership is perhaps the best midfield partnership I have seen at Walsall, they both work so well together. Back 4 and keeper are as solid as we have had since 2008.

This team could do so well and the top six is well within our reach. It will be a hell of a lot easier if we sign an out and out striker though.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:40 am

JAL-WFC wrote:Performances like that are the reason we wont make the play-offs. How many times this season have we said that? We could and should have been 2-0 by half time, killing the game off since Swindon posed no threat whatsoever. Only way they were going to score was from a set piece or header... Typical Walsall allowing them back into the game and dropping 2 points.

It does show how far we have come though, which is a testament to the squad Smith's put together.

We play such good football and it is a pleasure to watch. It is just so frustrating that we dont have a clinical end product. Hopefully we get a striker in by the weekend, allowing Westcarr to play in his best position. Nothing against Swayers as he has been a revelation this season, but he is the only one in the team that potentially could be dropped without disrupting the way we play. His goal today was beautifully worked and well dispatched; if only we could be so clinical in 50% of the chances we make!!

Nobody played badly today, although Milan was fairly anonymous throughout. The wing play and movement of all 4 attacking players in the first half was encouraging, helped by a very good performance by Benning, who seems to be maturing into a fine fullback. The Mantom/Chambers partnership is perhaps the best midfield partnership I have seen at Walsall, they both work so well together. Back 4 and keeper are as solid as we have had since 2008.

This team could do so well and the top six is well within our reach. It will be a hell of a lot easier if we sign an out and out striker though.

Ditto, top post.

Has the letter from Larnaca arrived now??

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:43 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
sallian wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Deserved to win with all those first half chances.

Same problem still prevenant though, we create and create, but can never finish off without it being a 1 on 1 with the goalie. The only one who does shoot when they get into the good positions is Westcarr, and event though he is class at bringing others into play, he is not someone I would call clinical.

This is why I say they should have Lalkovic central and advanced....he is most likely to score and has the tools to create chances himself.

Like I have said before, he is a waste centrally, we tried that for the first third of the season and it didn't work. Taking Lalkovic and putting him up front just makes out attack about as lightweight as you can get it, Westcarr is the only one with a bit of muscle up top. Sawyers is talented but for a big lad he is gets brushed aside easily and can't really go toe to toe with the centre halves.

Secondly, coming up against League 1 defences he will get slaughted, we are not the type of team that plays with a quick striker. League 1 defenders a big and strong, and teams only get away with the small quick guy up front if they have someone big to support him, ala' Wells and Hanson at Bradford; on their own they get brushed aside.

I don't agree with this though. Even if you don't have a big/strong guy.....skillful forwards and fast forwards can still take strong and spoiling type defences apart. I think it should be given another go now Brandy is here. AT the end of the day speed can split a defence and trickery can....if Lalkovic can do that in the scoring area rather than on the wing...then the next destination is the goal....and he can finish. And aerial and bustling issues can be solved by playing to space and to feet and having back up runners for rebounds.

And getting slaughtered...can mean winning direct free kicks, penalties and sendings off.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:34 am

A propos of nothing, any UTS regular who doesn't wish to see posts from any other user can do so.

Go to your user control panel (top left click button under the index tab)
Go to 'friends & foes' tag (last top bar option)
Click on 'manage foes' (left hand menu bar)
Add the name of the poster you'd rather not see
Hit the 'submit' button

Hey presto! Their posts disappear from view.
:wink:

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 am

Exile wrote:A propos of nothing, any UTS regular who doesn't wish to see posts from any other user can do so.

Hit the 'submit' button

An ostrich does that Exile....but the reality will still be there when you pull your head out of the sand

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:20 am

sallian wrote:

Same problem still prevenant though, we create and create, but can never finish off without it being a 1 on 1 with the goalie. The only one who does shoot when they get into the good positions is Westcarr, and event though he is class at bringing others into play, he is not someone I would call clinical.

This is why I say they should have Lalkovic central and advanced....he is most likely to score and has the tools to create chances himself.

Lalkovic is not a striker, if you attended matches in the flesh you would know that

bilko

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am

i find it laughable you think we treated it like a cup final win - no we have been poor away from home all season and it was good to pick a point up no doubt you lot are sour as you didnt win and reading and hearing some of your comments before the game you were going to stuff us.

We have a very young alot of who are playing their first season in league football and are still learning - to those of you who are sour - take that massive chip off your shoulder and concentrate on the next tough games you have coming up and lets see where you are in a few weeks time.

You blew getting in the play off last season and maybe you will do it again. By the way you need some fans loking at your gates you havent got many - A small club punching above their wieght is how i view Walsall.

:lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:58 am

Gloating over a draw.

How tinpot.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:06 am

bilko wrote:i find it laughable you think we treated it like a cup final win - no we have been poor away from home all season and it was good to pick a point up no doubt you lot are sour as you didnt win and reading and hearing some of your comments before the game you were going to stuff us.

We have a very young alot of who are playing their first season in league football and are still learning - to those of you who are sour - take that massive chip off your shoulder and concentrate on the next tough games you have coming up and lets see where you are in a few weeks time.

You blew getting in the play off last season and maybe you will do it again. By the way you need some fans loking at your gates you havent got many - A small club punching above their wieght is how i view Walsall.

I'll remember all of that the next time you go bust.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:31 am

bilko wrote:i find it laughable you think we treated it like a cup final win - no we have been poor away from home all season and it was good to pick a point up no doubt you lot are sour as you didnt win and reading and hearing some of your comments before the game you were going to stuff us.

Swindle. A slightly larger club (because they are in the middle of nowhere, with no large rivals), punching below their weight, based on a ridiculous budget, and wholly reliant on one friendship with someone at Spurs. Great way to run a club.

We're in the play off picture, yow ain't. Bye.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:46 am

1. Where are all these comments about it being your cup final or that we were going to stuff you? I'm sure your fans
would be predicting a win for Swindon in similar circumstances.
2. Most of the post match comments reflect disappointment / frustration at not capitalising on a tremendous first half performance. Don't Know whether you were there, but if so would welcome your view on the game.
3. We know that our crowds are cack. We cannot control what others do with their leisure time and neither can you. With the football on view currently, it is their loss - fudge 'em.
4. I thought you came "in peace"?
Last edited by chestersaddler on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 am

bilko wrote: A small club punching above their wieght is how i view Walsall.

a cack club with cack fans who do fudge but moan about everything is how I view swindon, one of the poorest sets of fans I've seen for a while at the bescot, so quiet except for the moaning. oh and about the cup final thing, as I walked around the ground last night the majority of swindon fans looked as though you had just beat top of the table 4-0 or something daft, I have honestly never seen such joy after a 1-1 draw considering how pisspoor swindon played, your only saving grace is that we were well off our game 2nd half.
Last edited by tipton saddler on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:50 am

Role it back a year or so and Swindon were going to do this and that, RockinRobin was on here saying how great there were going to be, throwing money they didn't have about and little Walsall couldn't dream of competing.

Fast forward to now and we walk away from a game wondering why we couldn't win, looking at opposition who had maybe one or two players I would like in our squad and seeing only one team being delighted with a point.

As for the game well it was all about tempo for me. First half we were all over them, a second goal would've killed it, but to be fair to Swindon they up their tempo, got stuck in more and we didn't respond well enough. Still deserved to win but you can't win them all I suppose.

Second half was calling out for something different up front as it wasn't quite happening for us. Thought Mantom and Downing were fantastic - Brandy was excellent early on but tired (as would be expected due to him not playing consecutive games for a while).

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:56 am

All I read was jealous butthurt. Cheat club loserfan. Come back with some grace, and read the threads you post in instead of copypasting whatever you did last time. You've been a member here long enough to know the score.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 am

chestersaddler wrote:

1. Where are all these comments about it being your cup final or that we were going to stuff you? I'm sure your fans
would be predicting a win for Swindon in similar circumstances.
2. Most of the post match comments reflect disappointment / frustration at not capitalising on a tremendous first half performance. Don't Know whether you were there, but if so would welcome your view on the game.
3. We know that our crowds are cack. We cannot control what others do with their leisure time and neither can you. With the football on view currently, it is their loss - fudge 'em.
4. I thought you came "in peace"?

In his pyjamas more like.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 am

sallian wrote:are bbc stats not working? everything says zero from my end

You're looking at the "What Sallian knows about football" thread. Try hitting the refresh button.

Still says nothing? Confirms what everyone on here as already guessed then :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 am

Leatherman wrote:

You're looking at the "What Sallian knows about football" thread. Try hitting the refresh button.

Still says nothing? Confirms what everyone on here as already guessed then :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:01 am

No worries, the red machine rumbles on. 3 points on the weekend I reckon.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 am

sallian wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
sallian wrote:

Like I have said before, he is a waste centrally, we tried that for the first third of the season and it didn't work. Taking Lalkovic and putting him up front just makes out attack about as lightweight as you can get it, Westcarr is the only one with a bit of muscle up top. Sawyers is talented but for a big lad he is gets brushed aside easily and can't really go toe to toe with the centre halves.

Secondly, coming up against League 1 defences he will get slaughted, we are not the type of team that plays with a quick striker. League 1 defenders a big and strong, and teams only get away with the small quick guy up front if they have someone big to support him, ala' Wells and Hanson at Bradford; on their own they get brushed aside.

I don't agree with this though. Even if you don't have a big/strong guy.....skillful forwards and fast forwards can still take strong and spoiling type defences apart. I think it should be given another go now Brandy is here. AT the end of the day speed can split a defence and trickery can....if Lalkovic can do that in the scoring area rather than on the wing...then the next destination is the goal....and he can finish. And aerial and bustling issues can be solved by playing to space and to feet and having back up runners for rebounds.

And getting slaughtered...can mean winning direct free kicks, penalties and sendings off.

Our whole game plan is based around ball retention in the final third. You need someone who can
play with their back to goal and bring others in to play. Lalkovic can't do it, it's not his game. No way should we change our whole set up just to accommodate a forward who is "fast and can get shots off quickly" Part of the reason Bowerman wasn't retained was because his game was playing on the shoulder, relying on the ball in behind, much like Milans.

When he plays centrally, his movement naturally takes him
out wide. If you've ever seen him play when he's supposed to be the main striker you'd recognise that it's like playing with three wingers. Take the JPT game against Wolves. We were terrible in the first half, with nothing up front. Milan was replaced by Westcarr and we looked a totally different team, mainly to do with the fact that we had someone occupying the central defenders.

On the point of him getting slaughtered, he's more likely to get himself sent off rather than a member of the other team. He's a player that gets easily frustrated when things aren't going his way. A big centre half boggling away at him all game, clips to the ankles, elbows in the back, things that are part and parcel of every game get to him. He gets wound up and retaliates. It's happend a few times this season. On those occasions Smith has brought him off. He doesn't get it half as much now he's on the wing as he plays facing the goal more often than not.

He should only play up front with 10-15mins left if were hanging on a bit, giving us that extra bit of pace up front

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 pm

sallian wrote:

milan was anonymous today salian, as good as he was saturday he really should have been replaced by hemmings ( who looked really lively and was mom at their place) after an hour. for the first hour we were slick but then for whatever reason passes started going astray and they pulled the goal back. we could still have won it with a couple of great efforts late on though
l just wish we would bring fresh legs on a bit sooner when we look like we are losing our way a bit.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Leatherman wrote:

When I wrote that line I knew it would invite that sort of comment, but I left its wording intact to confirm my predictions about you being predictable :)

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

When I wrote that line I knew it would invite that sort of comment, but I left its wording intact to confirm my predictions about you being predictable :)

Even further proof, if ever it was needed, that "Care in the Community" doesn't work.

I hope the weather in Roswell is better than it is here.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:08 pm

derbysaddler wrote:No worries, the red machine rumbles on. 3 points on the weekend I reckon.

I can't see it being on, which is why I'm so frustrated at not winning a winnable game last night. It would have put a bit of space between us and Peterborough, and also put Swindon well out of the picture. Still think we'll make play offs, but we don't want to get duped into the all is good unbeaten run like last season. Too many draws cost us then, and it will this season if we don't kill teams off. Then Deano will be gone.

We're the best team in this league...but we're not because we don't kill teams off.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Exile wrote:A propos of nothing, any UTS regular who doesn't wish to see posts from any other user can do so.

Hit the 'submit' button

Waaaaaay ahead of you!

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
sallian wrote:

i don't really get all this talk about positions, they only exist nominally given the freedom of movement this squad enjoys. milan ends up through the middle plenty.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
sallian wrote:

i don't really get all this talk about positions, they only exist nominally given the freedom of movement this squad enjoys. milan ends up through the middle plenty.

The positions are pretty prevelant, even if our of the front 4 is pretty free flowing. They are definitely in position for the majority of the game, they need to be in place even if our attacks are free flowing, other wise their is no order to our squad. He is a left winger, when you see him attack, 90% of it is down the left.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season