Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Image

Tactic worked. Same again on Tuesday.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Tactic worked. Same again on Tuesday.

Is there a plan B on the back?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:16 am

It's all been said, but what an attacking performance for the 747 Saddlers present. Okay, County were very poor on the day but that should not take anything away from how we played. At 5-0 early in the second half I really thought there was a possibility of scoring 10, and we should have done so - even Butler could have had three, and how Lalkovic did not score when through on goal from the halfway line, I'll never know - there were Walsall players up either side of him and he hit it into the keeper, a truly terrible effort. Milan was never going to score today :) even though his general play was excellent. Westcarr's pass out to Lalkovic for Walsall's second was sublime - a pity the highlights do not show that properly, but Brandy's finish looked even better than it appeared at the time.

Mantom/A Chambers were excellent defensively and moved the ball quickly when going forward, although I thought Sawyers was slightly off the pace in comparison to the others [despite his undoubted quality on the ball] and should have scored himself in the first half. Benning's performance was encouraging and one surging run in the first half when he went past at least 4 County players would have been a highlight on its own in some matches.

An all round great day even if there was a monsoon just prior to kick off which resulted in not getting in until 3.10. Even a delayed train journey due to signalling problems between Derby and Nottingham did not spoil it. Oh, and a couple of great pub visits to the 'Vat and Fiddle' beforehand and 'The Navigation' afterwards.

That's the first time I've seen us score five away since a Friday night game at Newport County in 1986.

Louise
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 am

I am still buzzing from one of the best away days in years.
A massive well done to the team and I hope it is rewarded with an increased crowd tomorrow night.
Not a lot I can add to the excellent posts except to say I thought Mantom was outstanding.
See you all tomorrow night and at Covhampton.:)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 pm

kshammer wrote:

Yes, a description of our fifth goal:

GOAL KICK -----------> WESTCARR SCORES

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm

kshammer wrote:

Merson is still working on it.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Saturday was a day that should have been one of those happen to a handful of people in life when you see a team score ten goals in a match.

The fact it was Walsall who should have done it, and we will never probably get another chance in my lifetime to do it, did leave me slightly disappointed like some others on the way out of the ground.

But shows how far we have come. Two years ago I think we went 90 minutes against County at home without having a shot (1-0 defeat) and now we are complaining that we didn't get ten!

If we perform anything approaching that in two thirds of remaining matches we would be hard to stop (in play-offs).

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Think I must be the only one who wasn't in a good mood today.

Got a taxi to the station, the driver was slow and took ages to give me my change.. Missed my train by a few minutes.
Got to Crewe earlier than the next connection, then missed that train by a matter of seconds...
Found a train that got to Nottingham at 3.05, so decided it was still worth it to miss the first few minutes..
Managed to get to Derby, and found out all trains to Nottingham were cancelled (I was told this was going on until 2 at the latest, this was at half 2).
Bloke told me to get a public bus to Nottingham rather than the replacement one for the trains, but I wouldn't have got there until at least half time.

And of all the games to miss I missed that! :evil:

Bonser/Smith/Westcarr/Dog Face Out.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't stop you coming to the next away game

Wasn't gonna go to Northampton (mainly for money reasons), but found train from Crewe - Northampton for £3.95 (£11.20 return). Just have to get to Crewe and its sorted.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

just remembered the county fans applauding brandy off. fair play.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:37 pm

wfc & chips wrote:just remembered the county fans applauding brandy off. fair play.

It was only a minority who did this in the main stand, nothing major from what I observed. Still, a mild ripple from a few home fans is better than nothing.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:just remembered the county fans applauding brandy off. fair play.

It was only a minority who did this in the main stand, nothing major from what I observed. Still, a mild ripple from a few home fans is better than nothing.

if you mean the stand opposite us, you shoulda kept looking, as it spread as he got over there.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:57 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Think I must be the only one who wasn't in a good mood today.

Got a taxi to the station, the driver was slow and took ages to give me my change.. Missed my train by a few minutes.
Got to Crewe earlier than the next connection, then missed that train by a matter of seconds...
Found a train that got to Nottingham at 3.05, so decided it was still worth it to miss the first few minutes..
Managed to get to Derby, and found out all trains to Nottingham were cancelled (I was told this was going on until 2 at the latest, this was at half 2).
Bloke told me to get a public bus to Nottingham rather than the replacement one for the trains, but I wouldn't have got there until at least half time.

Wasn't gonna go to Northampton (mainly for money reasons), but found train from Crewe - Northampton for £3.95 (£11.20 return). Just have to get to Crewe and its sorted.

Tempting! Where, East Midland trains?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Sounds like we were lucky to get 1 point, let alone 3!

http://platform-online.net/2014/01/notts-county-man-of-the-match-callum-mcgregor/

I particularly liked this bit:

Through-out the first half McGregor’s movement and touch proved the difference between the sides...

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 am

WarsawPact wrote:Sounds like we were lucky to get 1 point, let alone 3!

http://platform-online.net/2014/01/notts-county-man-of-the-match-callum-mcgregor/

I particularly liked this bit:

Through-out the first half McGregor’s movement and touch proved the difference between the sides...

It is a student's magazine and you know what fun they can be.

bescot42
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 am

From the official site:

Did I black out for part of this game? Or did I simply lose count?!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:47 am

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

Tempting! Where, East Midland trains?

Just found it on the National Rail website. Think it leaves Crewe at 11:19. Should have mentioned that I have a railcard though, I imagine it will be around £6/£7 without one. There was one at 12:02 too, which was £7.25 or something (with railcard) which gets you there before the match too.

SWS1

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Louise wrote:I am still buzzing from one of the best away days in years.
A massive well done to the team and I hope it is rewarded with an increased crowd tomorrow night.
Not a lot I can add to the excellent posts except to say I thought Mantom was outstanding.
See you all tomorrow night and at Covhampton.:)

So, we couldn't repeat the medicine tonight. Disappointing (we're that good! :D )

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season