Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Off to Meadow Lane on Saturday to visit the oldest professional football club in the world (1861?). Good job I delayed starting the thread as they had quite an eventful game against Posh tonight, possibly being unlucky to lose 4-3 after playing for 75 minutes with 10 men. Their resurgence over the past couple of months appears to be down to the newly-appointed rookie manager Shaun Derry. Apparently when Chris Kiwomya was shown the door, Derry (a lifelong County supporter and ex-player with no managerial experience) rang the club up and talked his way into the manager's chair. At that stage Notts were bottom of the League, but their most recent form is something of a contrast:

26 Dec Port Vale (A) Lost 2-1
29 Dec Crawley (A) Lost 1-0
1 Jan Bradford City (H) Won 3-0
11 Jan Sheffield United (H) Won 2-1
18 Jan Stevenage (A) Won 0-1
21 Jan Peterborough (A) Lost 4-3

Currently 16th in the table on 27 points, County are in a pack of 4 clubs only one point above the drop zone. They can therefore be expected to be playing for their lives on Saturday, and having scored 3 at Peterborough it looks as though they're playing with some confidence. Even with 10 men, their 13 shots with 7 on target will have gone down well with sallian even though they LOST.......and it should also be remembered that it was County who ended our 100% start to the season (and their 0%) with a 1-1 draw at the Banks's.

Notts County haven't really had an outstanding goal scorer this season - they have three players each with four goals (Grealish, Haynes and Showunmi) and of those, Haynes has been told he should look elsewhere for a job and Showunmi was substituted after 32 mins at Peterborough.

Manny Smith will no doubt be welcomed by travelling Saddlers, but I think we should overcome the Magpie hurdle, say 0-2 (Lalkovic & Brandy).

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 am

I don't normally do away matches, but I'm tempted by this one - just so that I can vent my despite on John Barnwell.

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:[I will start this thread on Tuesday evening in the interests of being up-to-date, as Notts County are playing Peterborough United (away), k/o 7.45pm]

Whens Duke coming back :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm

windowman wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:[I will start this thread on Tuesday evening in the interests of being up-to-date, as Notts County are playing Peterborough United (away), k/o 7.45pm]

Whens Duke coming back :D

The sooner the better!!! :wink:

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm

If we play anything like we did against Brentford it should be a comfortable victory - but our record at Meadow lane hasn't been great in recent years apart from last season and I fear our inconsistency on the road recently may come back to haunt us again Saturday (sincerely hope i'm wrong). Think it will end in a 1-1 draw in a game we should be most definitely winning, Mantom with our goal infront of 5,069 (inc. 714 saddlers)

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 pm

You lot had best win on Saturday to keep the sadpies in their place.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:You lot had best win on Saturday to keep the sadpies in their place.

If we can't win for ourselves instead, that's second best I suppose!

Trouble is, according to one of our newest followers, it's next to impossible for us to win, because we don't score enough goals, score first, score early enough or even turn up and play the game the right way, let alone train properly. :wink:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 pm

It'll be fine.
Our mystery forward will be revealed as Trevor Benjamin, certain to score there!

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:33 am

Exile wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:You lot had best win on Saturday to keep the sadpies in their place.

If we can't win for ourselves instead, that's second best I suppose!

Trouble is, according to one of our newest followers, it's next to impossible for us to win, because we don't score enough goals, score first, score early enough or even turn up and play the game the right way, let alone train properly. :wink:

"...newest followers..." whose Walsall roots go back over 125 yrs and has been an active supporter since the 80's. I am a new poster to the board yes, but a new supporter no! That is, if it was me you were alluding to.

I expect Notts Co. to win as they will be inspired with old rivalries and they are struggling....and struggling teams traditionally kick-start their revivals against Walsall....and like I said, every game is a struggle when you only score one goal a game.

Notts Co. 2 The 'Sall 1 (but its the sort of game Walsall will have to win or at least draw if the play-offs are to be made, no better time for Walsall to accelerate their attacking prowess and efficiency).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am

leics_saddler wrote:It'll be fine.
Our mystery forward will be revealed as Trevor Benjamin, certain to score there!

Did the job last time.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 pm

DYSaddler wrote:If we play anything like we did against Brentford it should be a comfortable victory - but our record at Meadow lane hasn't been great in recent years apart from last season and I fear our inconsistency on the road recently may come back to haunt us again Saturday (sincerely hope i'm wrong). Think it will end in a 1-1 draw in a game we should be most definitely winning, Mantom with our goal infront of 5,069 (inc. 714 saddlers)

Have you noticed County's recent form, DYS? It's 3 successive wins and they are currently 2-0 up at Peterborough. I don't see why we should be "definitely winning" when you consider that form. It is hard to imagine Bristol City, Gillingham and Tranmere being in much better shape than them and we could win none of those.

By the way, 2-1 to the super Saddlers on Saturday, with Westcarr and Butler to score for us :wink:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Given County's good form, I reckon a draw, thus ending any hope we had of finishing 6th in the process.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:47 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:If we play anything like we did against Brentford it should be a comfortable victory - but our record at Meadow lane hasn't been great in recent years apart from last season and I fear our inconsistency on the road recently may come back to haunt us again Saturday (sincerely hope i'm wrong). Think it will end in a 1-1 draw in a game we should be most definitely winning, Mantom with our goal infront of 5,069 (inc. 714 saddlers)

Have you noticed County's recent form, DYS? It's 3 successive wins and they are currently 2-0 up at Peterborough. I don't see why we should be "definitely winning" when you consider that form. It is hard to imagine Bristol City, Gillingham and Tranmere being in much better shape than them and we could win none of those.

By the way, 2-1 to the super Saddlers on Saturday, with Westcarr and Butler to score for us :wink:

Just as a mini-update, County are 1-2 up at Peterborough at half-time, but have only had 10 men since the 15th minute when Ronan Murray was sent off for fighting. Also Showunmi has been substituted in the 32nd minute, which could rule him out of Saturday's game. Their loan signing from Crystal Palace (Appiah) has started on the bench. More to follow.........

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Manny Smith also starting for them, took him a long while to get playing for them consistently.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Now Peterborough 2 Notts County 2 (54 min) :evil:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Peterbore now winning 4-3

OWEN1955

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:20 am

WarsawPact wrote:I don't normally do away matches, but I'm tempted by this one - just so that I can vent my despite on John Barnwell.

Anyone know if theres parking near the ground ??

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 am

Tough game this, County are in a false position and Derry has them playing some good stuff. They'd have stuffed Posh last night if they didn't go down to 10 (Words of Posh's fans). 17 points from 9 games Is just short of promotion form and given that they have a bog of a pitch we may struggle to get our game going. Hope not though and IF our front 4 click we have enough to threaten absolutely anyone in this division.

Would anyone be tempted to start Featherstone and bring Sawyers on after an hour? We missed him in the second half at Tranmere, but earlier in the season we were too negative away with Featherstone in the team. Tough one.

A solid point, 1-1.
604 Saddlers.
Butler with his annual ML goal.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Sadders wrote:Tough game this, County are in a false position and Derry has them playing some good stuff. They'd have stuffed Posh last night if they didn't go down to 10 (Words of Posh's fans). 17 points from 9 games Is just short of promotion form and given that they have a bog of a pitch we may struggle to get our game going. Hope not though and IF our front 4 click we have enough to threaten absolutely anyone in this division.

Would anyone be tempted to start Featherstone and bring Sawyers on after an hour? We missed him in the second half at Tranmere, but earlier in the season we were too negative away with Featherstone in the team. Tough one.

A solid point, 1-1.
604 Saddlers.
Butler with his annual ML goal.

Too negative? Remember Swindon,good call to bring back Featherstone, he has had a good rest

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Remember, we might have a new striker by this weekend as well who could go straight into the starting XI. Bescot Banter reckons we might get some news tommorow.

SWS1

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Who would we leave out? :?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm

SWS1 wrote:Who would we leave out? :?

Either Westy or Sawyers.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Who would we leave out? :?

Either Westy or Sawyers.

Would surely be Sawyers, Westcarr to drop into the hole and new striker to start up top. Or DS might see it differently and stick with the same front 4 and bring the new guy on after 60 mins or so.

SWS1

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:40 pm

What new guy is this, then? :?: :?

SWS1

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Our big problem is missing half decent or even gilt-edged chances. However, having watched ManUre tonight, our strikers are no worse for missed chances :mrgreen:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:46 am

OWEN1955 wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:I don't normally do away matches, but I'm tempted by this one - just so that I can vent my despite on John Barnwell.

Several cheap car park around the ground plus loads on Victoria a Embankment by the Trent.

Many go to Hooters but alternative is over the bridge where there are numerous pubs and bars. the Haven is a cracking real ale pub, Larwood & Voce by cricket ground, TBI, Forest Sportsmens Club by City Ground plus loads more.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:11 am

SWS1 wrote:Our big problem is missing half decent or even gilt-edged chances. However, having watched ManUre tonight, our strikers are no worse for missed chances :mrgreen:

David Moyes has insisted that Manchester United will be involved in a major European competition next season...

....even if he has to write the song himself.
:)

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
OWEN1955 wrote:

Several cheap car park around the ground plus loads on Victoria a Embankment by the Trent.

Many go to Hooters but alternative is over the bridge where there are numerous pubs and bars. the Haven is a cracking real ale pub, Larwood & Voce by cricket ground, TBI, Forest Sportsmens Club by City Ground plus loads more.

Whatever became of the Casa Bar right by the emabnkment? Fond memories of a sunny April afternoon there when we won promotion. I heard they were turning it into flats?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 pm

Andy Taylor ruled out with that injury he picked up on Saturday, looks like Mal is back in, which I am happy with as he is a class youngster.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 am

tinned wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
OWEN1955 wrote:

Whatever became of the Casa Bar right by the emabnkment? Fond memories of a sunny April afternoon there when we won promotion. I heard they were turning it into flats?

I think it's called the River Bank now. Not been since Casa closed but a cracking location on the Trent. As Bitter Tree Hugger says the Embankment along the Trent from that bar should be a good place to park.

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season