Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (H) League One Sat 18th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Brentford (H) League One Sat 18th Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

kshammer wrote:General points.

* Ref should have cracked down on them early on. Ended up with them hacking us down relentlessly.
* Watching Grigg, I think we got the best of the deal.
* Adam Chambers was immense.
* If we play well, games are about us rather than the opposition, regardless of who we play.
* Think it has been said already but if Brandy/Sawyers/Lalko play well we could be unplayable.
* Downing was great too.
* Brentford fans are terrible. Just plain awful.
* They have a £7m budget and yet were content to foul and waste time. Speaks volumes.

I think the problem with Grigg is he is not playing all the time, I know he was injured for a while....his footballing has been damaged by going to Brentford as players need regular first team football. I thought same was going to happen to Paterson too, but seems he is now getting a crack of the whip.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:Notice how Brentford only had ONE shot on target all game, and still somehow they manage to be top of the league (until this afternoon, anyway).

No doubt sallian will be able to justify it with yet more warped twisted logic. :roll:

The straight logic, that you miss in your blind emotional opposition is that Brentford DID NOT WIN today because they only managed ONE GOAL.

Walsall DID NOT win today because they ONLY managed ONE GOAL.

Brentford DID NOT get to the top of the table by ONLY MANAGING ONE GOAL a game. Their success is due to them scoring MORE GOALS than that.

Walsall are outside of the play offs at the moment because they have not been scoring ENOUGH GOALS.

You can call that twisted logic if you want, and that may be your sincere judgement...it may also be the judgement of the majority of people on this board....

That is precisely why I don't base my views on following the majority.

.......or by first-hand experience either!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Lalkovic is wasted up front Sallian, he is quick and clinical, but against the very physical centre halves of league one his best bet is being out wide as he gets the freedom to move without being clattered and the chance to run at defenders. Like we saw early in the season, when he is playing we also have a horrible tendency to just hoof it into space for him to run on to instead of doing our very good looking and effective passing and build up play.

But the waste maybe because:-

i) He needs more time to get used to that position
ii) He needs better service when he is there, either ball into space he can attack...or timed passes for his runs.
iii) They need a supporting striker....maybe Sawyers or Westcarr

If he is clinical, fast and can take players on..they should make adjustments to serve his abilities in that role. Maybe they even need to try Lalkovic and Hemmings centrally, that would be a very fast pairing and could cause many problems...as long as Hemmings leaves the finishing mainly to Lalkovic!

I have seen Lalkovic play really awful and other times okay, but he is definitely a player who has attributes and abilities that can be used a lot more effectively with the right supporting elements around him. He should be scoring and creating goals all the time. He is the sort of player who can create a lot of chances just for himself (or others) just by his speed and trickery.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:32 pm

An extremely entertaining game between two good sides and overall a fantastic advert for league 1 football. I thought towards the end of the game there was only going to be one team who would go on to win and it wasn't our visitors. Before the game I would have more than happily taken a point - and it's still a very good point against a very decent side at this level but you can't help but think what might have been had Westcarr put his late chance away or the keeper hadn't produced a superb save from Sawyers. Brentford have class in their side from start to finish - was particularly impressed with Trotta and Donaldson - who always seems to score against us, however we coped really well and scored the equaliser at a brilliant time. Second half was a sensational period of play where both teams went at each other, but us probably having the better chances to win the game. Individuals:

O'Donnell: Was a spectator for the majority, didn't have a great deal to do and couldn't do much with their goal as it was a good header.

J Chambers: Solid as usual before he went off.

Butler: His distribution off the floor seems to be getting slightly less accurate and let Donaldson get across him slightly too easily for their goal.

Downing: Class as usual.

Taylor: Same as J Chambers - another 8/10 performance from him which he does so often before going off injured.

Mantom: Thought he had an excellent second half - he is become a much more attacking threat getting in and around the box and not afraid to shoot, his passing was also very good.

A Chambers: Very good battling display yet again, such a vital part to the squad, always gives 110%

Lalkovic: Rightly given MOM - an absolute handful all afternoon, Brentford didn't know how to deal with him and looked dangerous everytime he got on the ball.

Sawyers: Think the kid is class but sometimes he is just far too casual and that sometimes result in the loss of possession or him simply making the wrong decision.

Brandy: Like he has never been away - again a real handful, I don't think many league 1 RB's and LB's will come up against more challenging wingers than Brandy and Lalkovic. From where I was sitting looked a good shout for a penalty but couldn't be 100%

Westcarr - Excellent game from Westy yet again, such an intelligent player. Really good finish with the header as he could have been put off by the presence of Button. Feel he could have done slightly better with his late chance.

Out of the subs thought Mal Benning was outstanding when he came on - defensively he dealt with Donaldson extremely well whereas he provided a real attacking outlet and got forward exceptionally well. The overhead kick attempt was dross though :mrgreen:

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 pm

TheSwift wrote:Flo twisted his knee for Vale today. Was apparently stretchered off and will probably not play for Vale again.

Very sad news - should a talented footballer who's career looks like it will be dominated by injuries and, potentially, early retirement. Hope I'm wrong and wish him a speedy recovery.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:28 pm

sallian wrote:Todays result illustrates Walsall's strengths and weaknesses.

They have prevented the top team from winning and restricted them to one goal on target for the whole match, a good defensive performance on paper. (However they should have been more prepared for their aerial threat after the first game was lost to such a goal).

Yet, only managed one shot on target every 23 minutes, which is nowhere near good enough (although it was 4 times better than Brentford today).

Just a little more attacking creativity and simplicity would have probably won them the game (along with many other games).

I also say that if Lalkovic had been the central striker, Walsall would have had more chance of scoring (I say this based on someone saying he was crossing but no-one to receive, as usual...so I guess he was on the wing).

Lalkovic is Walsall's best chance of putting away chances in my view.

You weren't there then?

Please feel free to comment on what you haven't seen, it cheers me up.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:57 pm

cracking game today, second half was end to end but i thought we edged it. with brandy and milan causing them real problems. westcarrs link play again was excellent( i think grigg was pretty poor last season until westcarr arrived). pleased for benning, he had a torrid time against preston but looked great overlapping down the wing when he came on. andy butler will probably have a sore head tonight after he headed a shot that was really travelling clear.ref was consistant though, he got pretty much everything wrong!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:15 pm

Leatherman wrote:

They have prevented the top team from winning and restricted them to one goal on target for the whole match, a good defensive performance on paper. (However they should have been more prepared for their aerial threat after the first game was lost to such a goal).

Yet, only managed one shot on target every 23 minutes, which is nowhere near good enough (although it was 4 times better than Brentford today).

Just a little more attacking creativity and simplicity would have probably won them the game (along with many other games).

I also say that if Lalkovic had been the central striker, Walsall would have had more chance of scoring (I say this based on someone saying he was crossing but no-one to receive, as usual...so I guess he was on the wing).

You weren't there then?

Read my posts carefully and you will be able to judge them with more precision.

I said "...Todays RESULT illustrates Walsall's strengths and weaknesses..." I didn't say PERFORMANCE.

Results and statistics can tell us something about a game. Also the game is judged ultimately by results and hard statistics...there are no points for performances.

With some common sense, an awareness of football tactics and technique, along with some knowledge of the players through having seen them play a few times, you CAN make some reasonable assessments as long as you stick to what such a knowledge allows.

Many people on here post about games they have not attended. Many of us who are unable to attend are relying on match statistics from BBC or commentary etc from other sources. And for after match, post match reports from spectators etc.

There is nothing unreasonable or unjust about any of that.

I would like to attend but live too far away for most games.

Regardless of all that, please highlight what point I previously made that was irrational, unreasonable, unjust or false.

And if you can't....then you are already wearing your 'Sallian is Right' T-Shirt without realising it.

A person who knows what they are talking about can sometimes give a more valuable analysis than an ignorant person who witnesses an event directly.

A fool sees something but doesn't know what he has seen, while an intelligent person of insight sees something truthfully even before it manifests. Man progresses by his thoughts, so think, think and think again young lad.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:31 pm

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You weren't there then?

I said "...Todays RESULT illustrates Walsall's strengths and weaknesses..." I didn't say PERFORMANCE.

Results and statistics can tell us something about a game. Also the game is judged ultimately by results and hard statistics...there are no points for performances.

With some common sense, an awareness of football tactics and technique, along with some knowledge of the players through having seen them play a few times, you CAN make some reasonable assessments as long as you stick to what such a knowledge allows.

Many people on here post about games they have not attended. Many of us who are unable to attend are relying on match statistics from BBC or commentary etc from other sources. And for after match, post match reports from spectators etc.

Regardless of all that, please highlight what point I previously made that was irrational, unreasonable, unjust or false.

And if you can't....then you are already wearing your 'Sallian is Right' T-Shirt without realising it.

A person who knows what they are talking about can sometimes give a more valuable analysis than an ignorant person who witnesses an event directly.

A fool sees something but doesn't know what he has seen, while an intelligent person of insight sees something truthfully even before it manifests. Man progresses by his thoughts, so think, think and think again young lad.

Another planet presumably?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Great game, lots of fun. Showed our class by reducing Brentford to the role of thuggish cloggers who just hacked down our players whenever they got away from them. Should have been two reds, for Saville and Craig. Lucky that Brandy and Lalkovic weren't injured in those challenges which were only designed to take them out. Ref bottled it. Loved seeing Lalkovic put McCormack in such a spin that he had to be taken out the back four and hidden in midfield. Sick of seeing Donaldson score against us every year! He's such a quality player.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You weren't there then?

Another planet presumably?

That's the kind of wishful thinking shared, I feel sure, by many of us. :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Not by me, Welsh. The more UTS'ers the better :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:18 pm

sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You weren't there then?

Oaf.
If you take the time to look at the stats. on the BBC website for the rest of League 1, you will see that Preston had 19 attempts at goal with 6 on target. Coventry had 6 attempts with 1 on target: the result was 1-1.

It's not about the number of attempts you have, but the quality.

Creativity and simplicity? You weren't there so you're guessing aren't you?

Lalkovich had one of his best games in a Walsall shirt today and was given the Man of The Match award; quite rightly so. You're right in your assumption that he was playing on the wing and he caused merry hell whenever he had the ball - his best position in my humble opinion.

Here's a statistic for you: if you continually do the right things then the Law of Averages say's that sooner or later you will be ahead. The reverse of this (in case you don't get it) is that if you continually do the wrong things, you will eventually suffer, as good luck doesn't last forever.

More prepared for the aerial threat? Donaldson was restricted to one opportunity from which he scored; this is what good strikers do, and he is a good striker (see the stats.).

Only a fool would make judgmental comments on something he hasn't witnessed himself, but based his assumptions on secondary reports from people he doesn't know - you really are quite unbelievable.

Wear the tee-shirt? I suppose you have to wear your own as the ones in the club shop won't go over your head?

I'm not young.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm

A pretty decent afternoon all in all, and although we perhaps shaded it in the second half, a draw was a fair result.

Those saying the game was a good advert for League One football are spot-on. The quality of football was great throughout. Personally, I felt we stood off them and showed them far too much respect until they scored. The turning point for us seemed to be a little scuffle Mantom had with Saville after about 35 minutes. Saville, who'd been influential up to that point, then lost his bottle and went missing for the rest of the half which allowed us to get a foothold on the game.

Lalkovic looked a real threat all afternoon and continues to get better with every game - no doubts over him being man of the match. Brandy looked more threatening than he did on Tuesday and had Sawyers picked one or two better passes in that second half, we might have nicked the win.

Can't have too many complaints for their goal - Donaldson's lethal in the air and Taylor had his work cut out trying to shackle him. That said, we generally kept their front three pretty quiet.

As for Will Grigg, I thought he looked neat and tidy at times, but posed no threat whatsoever as a square peg in a round hole. I also really enjoyed seeing that bloke in the F2G lower give him a piece of his mind when they had a corner in the first half. :lol:

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Great game, you'd be hard pushed to see a more entertaining game, in particular the second half. I thought the first half was pretty even with them looking lively in the first 20. The goal came at just the wrong time for us as we'd got ourselves into the contest. It was a great delivery and Donaldson really dominated Butler. At this level he's a class act. We'd look such a threat with him up front.

Not knocking Westcarr though as he had a great game linking up play, he even tracked back and put his foot in a few times. He's just not a central striker, and that's not his fault. Judging today's game, I'd much rather have him leading our line than Grigg, who was anonymous on the left wing. I was a little disappointed he went off to be honest! The fans even seemed to loose interest in booing him!

The longer the second half went on, the more we looked like scoring. You won't see a better save all season thanButtons fromSawyers. It really was the faintest of touches. Westcarr also missed the golden chance that we'd been waiting for when he blazed over towards the end.

Given that we were pushing Brentford deeper and deeper, they seemed to resort to thuggish tactics with two really bad challenges on Lalkovic and Brandy respectively. On the face of it, they were probably both bookings, but with the ref seemingly reluctant to get his cards out earlier, meant they finished with 11 on the pitch. Number 17, who by all accounts ran the midfield in the first half, twice pulled one if our lads down when looking to break. I thought a shirt pull constitutes as a pro foul, which in my book is a yellow. He was the one who smashed Lalkovic on the touch line with 20 left. Could have been a different game.

Milan was our best forward player, always had the beating of his full back. MOTM was a toss up between AChambers and Mantom though. They both broke up play really well, then made the right pass more often than not. They were the reason we were on top second half.

I think we'd have all taken 4 points from these last two games. Can't help feeling a bit disappointed not to have all 6 though. It's a sign of how far we've come I suppose

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Leatherman wrote:
sallian wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

You weren't there then?

Oaf.
If you take the time to look at the stats. on the BBC website for the rest of League 1, you will see that Preston had 19 attempts at goal with 6 on target. Coventry had 6 attempts with 1 on target: the result was 1-1.

It's not about the number of attempts you have, but the quality.

Creativity and simplicity? You weren't there so you're guessing aren't you?

Lalkovich had one of his best games in a Walsall shirt today and was given the Man of The Match award; quite rightly so. You're right in your assumption that he was playing on the wing and he caused merry hell whenever he had the ball - his best position in my humble opinion.

Here's a statistic for you: if you continually do the right things then the Law of Averages say's that sooner or later you will be ahead. The reverse of this (in case you don't get it) is that if you continually do the wrong things, you will eventually suffer, as good luck doesn't last forever.

More prepared for the aerial threat? Donaldson was restricted to one opportunity from which he scored; this is what good strikers do, and he is a good striker (see the stats.).

Only a fool would make judgmental comments on something he hasn't witnessed himself, but based his assumptions on secondary reports from people he doesn't know - you really are quite unbelievable.

Wear the tee-shirt? I suppose you have to wear your own as the ones in the club shop won't go over your head?

I'm not young.

Some people are still young in mind even if their physical years don't tell the same story!

Creativity - because clearly, this produces chances and goal attempts....you don't need to be a witness to affirm or deduce that (also based on my witnessing of the team this season).

Simplicity - because both from my own observations of matches and from what one or two have said about todays game, they overcomplicated things at times again (too many passes etc at the wrong time and place).

I am not saying Lalkovic is not useful or even better on the wing, but I am saying with Walsall's relative goal drought and impotency...it might be better for them to promote him as the main man in the middle to score the goals, as unlike Westcarr he will have the speed and trickery to get past people more in the most dangerous positions and he probably has better finishing ability, so it makes sense...especially now Brandy is here.

I have already explained the limits of analysis with regards to indirect reports/results/stats etc as opposed to direct observation. Football is full of such indirect knowledge. Why does a manager send out scouts and other people to wacth games? That's right, because useful information can be gained that way.

As for me not knowing people on the board, you can gather varied reports and detect a common strand and mediate them with the results and stats.

You are acting as though I say such and such a player played brilliantly today when I didn't see him!

I already said they must have defended well.

Your point about doing things right and doing things wrong leading to paralleled results in the long term...I agree with and have said the same generally and specifically on here mnay times using different words.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 am

Wouk have been apply with that before the game, seems churlish nt to be now! Well done deano and the lads.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 am

Of the 14 players who appeared for us today, only Lalkovic and O'Donnell didn't play for us last season. It's been a long time since we've had a squad so settled.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:30 am

A truly marvellous league one spectacle. Crisp, sharp passing from both teams, end to end attacks and good forward play. It could have gone either way, so draw a fair result, but disappointed we couldn't get that second goal. This was the one to win, performances like that against the likes of Tranmere would mean we'd be comfortably top 6. It will happen though.

The ref let things go, which added to the pace of the game, but should have clamped down on their number 17, and shirt pulling in the box earlier.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:31 am

longdogs wrote:Of the 14 players who appeared for us today, only Lalkovic and O'Donnell didn't play for us last season. It's been a long time since we've had a squad so settled.

And the settled sides are the ones the fans build a rapport with players, which all equals better support and spirit. Graydon stylee.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:32 am

Enjoyed the game yesterday, played by 2 strong teams. Funny enough, I didn't see Brentford as thuggish or OTT. Other than the tackle on Brandy and the one on Bax at the end I thought they were strong but fair, just like we tried to be. Good to see both managers recognise a point as being a good result.

Looking forward to County next week.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 am

team is well balanced apart from one thing, we have a good keeper, defence is water tight, midfield is the engine and the forwards are skillfull and tricky, only thing missing is a finisher.

:lol:

norbert

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:34 am

Great game i think a point was fair .We should however of gone for it from the off.Also they were without there 3 most influential players so 2 points dropped for me

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Westcarr was also superb yesterday. Player of the season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:A truly marvellous league one spectacle. Crisp, sharp passing from both teams, end to end attacks and good forward play. It could have gone either way, so draw a fair result, but disappointed we couldn't get that second goal. This was the one to win, performances like that against the likes of Tranmere would mean we'd be comfortably top 6. It will happen though.

The ref let things go, which added to the pace of the game, but should have clamped down on their number 17, and shirt pulling in the box earlier.

I agree with all that.

Their 17 should have been off: a yellow in the first half followed by the yellow he rightly received in the second.

Really enjoyable game. People of Walsall - you have a team bearing your name to be proud of. Turn up!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:40 pm

i honestly thought we were going to do an 'oldham' same tactics with no change of tempo despite being frozen out for most of the first half, to me the turning point was lalkovic deciding to be direct, the minute we broke their rigid ways we had them rattled till the end.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 pm

I've seen a couple of people criticising Butler for not winning the header with which Donaldson scored - it wasn't Butler who was challenging, I think Butler and Downing got dragged across to the right following Grigg, meanwhile Donaldson had pulled out wide right (their right, our left) and when he came in to the box to win the header it was Taylor who challenged him - which makes it more understandable that he didn't win it. Taylor hasn't got the height, leap or strength of Buts, so can't complain, just intelligent play by Brentford

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 pm

latviancheese wrote:Westcarr was also superb yesterday. Player of the season.

That's going to be a tough one this year. All of the below can rightfully lay a claim to the player of the season honour, for various reasons:

- Butler, captain, solid barely missed a game
- Downing, see above, minus the captaincy
- Taylor, superb, solid at the back, good going forward
- Chambers, J, see Taylor
- O'Donnell, integral as part of one of the best defences in the league
- Westcarr, leading scorer, talisman
- Chambers, A, mr consistent
- Lalkovic, proving to be a great foil for Westcarr

The only players who aren't performing to their full potential regularly are the likes of Sawyers, Mantom, Baxendale

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:31 pm

I think the only thing Mantom is missing is a couple of goals.

The only flatterer of deceit is Baxendale so far.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:All of the below can rightfully lay a claim to the player of the season honour...
- Lalkovic...
The only players who aren't performing to their full potential regularly are the likes of...Mantom ...

Oh I can't agree with this. Mantom's been outstanding IMO whereas Lalkovic has only started playing (admittedly very well) for the last month or so.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season