Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League One Tue 14 Jan, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League One Tue 14 Jan, 7.45pm

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:54 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
stefano123 wrote:For those of us on the south coast tonight, what was the reception like for Febian Brandy?

In my post, above:-

" The announcement of his name before the kick-off met with a mixed reception but he got a fully deserved standing round of applause from the Saddlers fans when he was substituted"

Not allPedders. There were some nobends in the upper booing him off.

As soon as he scores his first goal they'll all be cheering him.

rusky
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Like a few have already said we didn't half make hard work of that. We started the game slowly and didn't seem to pick up any urgency/tempo until the last 10 minutes of the half.
I have to give Oldham some credit they were far better than I expected, however some wayward passes from us made their jobs much easier.
Second half we were much the better side for the first 20 minutes. Sawyer delights and frustrates in equal measures, several times the easy ball was on for Lalkovic or Westcarr but he had to try and beat another player and ended up losing it.
The goal was a well worked effort and I was very pleased for Mantom who had to be more defensive than usual.
Oldham then threw everything at us for the last 15 minutes and we seemed to invite that pressure on to us.
I will have to see the penalty again, looked a bit harsh to me.
Some thoughts of mine on some of the players. O'Donnell never shut up telling his defenders where he wanted them, the more I see of him the more I'm liking him. Great penalty save and undoubtedly wins motm. The back four were a little bit sloppy for me.
Mantom and Chambers did ok in the middle, Brandy showed brief glimpses of what he will bring to us when he gets up to speed, as I've already said Sawyers is a class player who needs to know when to make a pass and when to carry the ball. Lakovic made some decent runs but was getting frustrated by not being played in and Westcarr looked tired if anything. ( I did have to explain to the old boy beside me what the lower tier were singing about what part of Westcarr was offside :D ).
Still three points well won and I'd have taken that. Onwards and upwards

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 am

I agree with that synopsis, rusky.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 am

tinned wrote:
tinned wrote:
Louise wrote:3-0 to the Saddlers and hope Brandy does make an appearance.
Gonna be a cold one so I reckon crowd sub 4000.
See you all there :D

None of your normal loud ranting please [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

What can I do to get the normal smileys back? Cor do any of them with this new Tapatalk.

When posting press the three dots button in top right corner for Insert Smile options.

Scrappy 1-0 win, whilst not playing well. It's what promotions are made of.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 am

we will have to improve at the back on saturday as we were carved open on several occasions. goalie made a great save early on as well as the three in the second half. on the telly downing looked to have played the ball not the man for the penalty but he got the wrong side of his man. thought brandy played well and won some important challenges when defending. when he went off we just defended deeper and deeper as westcarrs legs looked to have gone.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 am

Good teams win badly at times and that was one of ours. They missed an open goal and a peno but who cares? Scrappy one nils can be as good for confidence as the silky performances so onwards - we will need to be alot better against Brentford though.

Brandy had a decent game but was never MOTM, none of the attackers were. For me O'Donnell deserved it, even before the peno save, or maybe one of our defensive players. Don't understand the bellends booing Brandy - grow up you morons. Then again, one retard was on Sawyers back all game - regardless of how barclays Lalko or anyone else was being, it was just Sawyers apparently. :roll:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:01 am

BathSaddler wrote:A 1-1 draw in front of 3,515.

Almost!

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 am

saddlernoggin wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Can`t remember a season where we have had so many players fit at a time, testament to their training. Now all we need is training to have more shots on target.

I was only thinking myself how few players we've had out injured this season and I think there's more to it than just luck - fair play to the coaching staff.
I'm going for 70% possession but only a very frustrating 1-0 win, with a few squeaky bums in the last ten minutes.

Even closer :D

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:35 am

nice to see weve done some work on corners on the training ground, caused mayhem in their 18 yard box on a couple of occasions trying something different!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 am

sandysaddler wrote:nice to see weve done some work on corners on the training ground, caused mayhem in their 18 yard box on a couple of occasions trying something different!

Some great routines. Just a pity they were planned for the ball to end up with defenders to shoot!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sandysaddler wrote:nice to see weve done some work on corners on the training ground, caused mayhem in their 18 yard box on a couple of occasions trying something different!

Some great routines. Just a pity they were planned for the ball to end up with defenders to shoot!

We haven't got a Striker to aim for :oops:

Andy Taylor hasn't got a bad shot on him.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 pm

kshammer wrote:Good teams win badly at times and that was one of ours. They missed an open goal and a peno but who cares? Scrappy one nils can be as good for confidence as the silky performances so onwards - we will need to be alot better against Brentford though.

Brandy had a decent game but was never MOTM, none of the attackers were. For me O'Donnell deserved it, even before the peno save, or maybe one of our defensive players. Don't understand the bellends booing Brandy - grow up you morons. Then again, one retard was on Sawyers back all game - regardless of how barclays Lalko or anyone else was being, it was just Sawyers apparently. :roll:

Yeah there was some muppet behind me complaining about Sawyers all game.

Winning a game while only scoring one goal must have really pissed off sillyann, making it all the more pleasant :D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:29 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
stefano123 wrote:For those of us on the south coast tonight, what was the reception like for Febian Brandy?

In my post, above:-

" The announcement of his name before the kick-off met with a mixed reception but he got a fully deserved standing round of applause from the Saddlers fans when he was substituted"

Not allPedders. There were some nobends in the upper booing him off.

and thh lower.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 pm

Pretty even game overall. Oldham game with a game plan to put men behind the ball and to hit us on the counter and on another night they could've pulled it off. When they did get the ball, they passed it round nicely and got forward quickly. A very similar Style of play to ourselves and with a similar problem. Rather toothless upfront.

Thankfully from our point of view, perseverance paid off with Mantom getting the goal to seal three points. It's good to see that we can win ugly as it's one thing we haven't done much this season.

Brandy certainly made an impact. Although he was not outstanding and the fact Oldham put two blokes on him every time he touched the ball, he gave us much more balance to the side and an outlet from the right. This was lost when Hemmings came on for him and kept wandering inside.

O'Donnell was superb. From his handling, to his shot stopping, to his distribution and his communication. He seems to be getting better and better as games go on and long may in continue. Also, once again, another penalty save, superb stuff!

All in all, a frustrating match as our opposition made it difficult for us. However, delighted to get the three points even if a draw would've probably been a fairer result.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Pretty even game overall. Oldham game with a game plan to put men behind the ball and to hit us on the counter and on another night they could've pulled it off. When they did get the ball, they passed it round nicely and got forward quickly. A very similar Style of play to ourselves and with a similar problem. Rather toothless upfront.

Thankfully from our point of view, perseverance paid off with Mantom getting the goal to seal three points. It's good to see that we can win ugly as it's one thing we haven't done much this season.

Brandy certainly made an impact. Although he was not outstanding and the fact Oldham put two blokes on him every time he touched the ball, he gave us much more balance to the side and an outlet from the right. This was lost when Hemmings came on for him and kept wandering inside.

O'Donnell was superb. From his handling, to his shot stopping, to his distribution and his communication. He seems to be getting better and better as games go on and long may in continue. Also, once again, another penalty save, superb stuff!

All in all, a frustrating match as our opposition made it difficult for us. However, delighted to get the three points even if a draw would've probably been a fairer result.

Agree with all of that. I've read that 'Oldham were ****" Far from it, a tidy side, lacking a cutting edge, despite on paper having a couple of decent strikers in MacDonald and Rooney.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 3,522

Magnificent effort by the townsfolk.

Is that a joke i hope so. Pathetic attendance for any league 1 club never mind one thats in the top 6.
Hopefully a few more turn up saturday now though.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm

otiswfc wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 3,522

Magnificent effort by the townsfolk.

Is that a joke i hope so. Pathetic attendance for any league 1 club never mind one thats in the top 6.
Hopefully a few more turn up Saturday now though.

I think it is what is generally known as sarcasm, otis.

In defence of the absentees, it was filthy weather and, with all due respect to the Latics, Oldham are hardly the biggest attraction. Also, where money is tight, some people may have been saving their cash for Saturday's big match. As you say - let's hope so! :D

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Spotted Kenny Jackett and Sean Dyche at the Bescot last night during the second half. Come to see the real Ginger Mourinho?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

TheSwift wrote:Spotted Kenny Jackett and Sean Dyche at the Bescot last night during the second half. Come to see the real Ginger Mourinho?

Did you see uncle Jeeef?

TheSwift
Glitterati

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:49 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Did you see uncle Jeeef?

He was too busy having a money fight with Febs.

Photographic evidence on Walsall Web Fans Twitter page also shows that Brendon Rogers was at the Bescot last night.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:41 pm

TheSwift wrote:
Photographic evidence on Walsall Web Fans Twitter page also shows that Brendon Rogers was at the Bescot last night.

Rodgers was there to watch his son - the late Fresh Fields actor Anton Rodgers.

Nevertheless, one imagines that an audacious transfer window bid from the filthy Koppites for Westcarr is now imminent.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 pm

bangsection wrote:Nevertheless, one imagines that an audacious transfer window bid from the filthy Koppites for Westcarr is now imminent.

He actually went to keep an eye on McQuilkin. Then Rodgers realised that he was training with the England squad so hot-footed it over to St George's Park.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Is this the only match thread without an inane Sallian comment in it so far this season?

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 pm

TheSwift wrote:Spotted Kenny Jackett and Sean Dyche at the Bescot last night during the second half. Come to see the real Ginger Mourinho?

sean dyche has been to watch us a good few times now. he was at our place during last season aswell, he was tracking paterson.
I wonder whos he tracking now???

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 am

TheSwift wrote:Is this the only match thread without an inane Sallian comment in it so far this season?

I guess that means you miss me and feel a little unsure, lost and misguided without my input.

Any win helps.

One goal was enough against Oldham, but one goal is not enough against Oldham (if you are taking as a measure of play-off reaching capability). Walsall were saved by the goalkeeper and defence.

Surprised at Brandy return but I guess it makes sense as seeing as Sheff. Utd are seeing him as a liability and Walsall are badly in need of attacking creativity. Could be vital help for Walsall if he can be mature enough not to fall into any tantrums or attitude issues.

I would rather Grigg had returned than Brandy or any striker, Kevin Philips or whoever.

I still think that Lalkovic should be pushed as the central striker and even Baxendale given a go there, as I think Baxendale would be able to score goals from that position.

OWEN1955

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 am

sallian wrote:
TheSwift wrote:Is this the only match thread without an inane Sallian comment in it so far this season?

I guess that means you miss me and feel a little unsure, lost and misguided without my input.

Any win helps.

One goal was enough against Oldham, but one goal is not enough against Oldham (if you are taking as a measure of play-off reaching capability). Walsall were saved by the goalkeeper and defence.

Surprised at Brandy return but I guess it makes sense as seeing as Sheff. Utd are seeing him as a liability and Walsall are badly in need of attacking creativity. Could be vital help for Walsall if he can be mature enough not to fall into any tantrums or attitude issues.

I would rather Grigg had returned than Brandy or any striker, Kevin Philips or whoever.

I still think that Lalkovic should be pushed as the central striker and even Baxendale given a go there, as I think Baxendale would be able to score goals from that position.

You had to mention his name didn't you LOL

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:26 pm

if butler's on-target 30-yard right-foot effort had gone in, it would be my fave goal ever.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

bangsection wrote:
TheSwift wrote:

Rodgers was there to watch his son - the late Fresh Fields actor Anton Rodgers.

Nevertheless, one imagines that an audacious transfer window bid from the filthy Koppites for Westcarr is now imminent.

"Suarez plus cash" is what I heard.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:45 pm

OWEN1955 wrote:
sallian wrote:

Any win helps.

You had to mention his name didn't you LOL

So according to some posters a draw away to Tranmere wasn't good enough for a top 6 finish and now a home win against Oldham also isn't good enough for a top 6 finish.

When will people realize we needed to win each game 5-0 since the first game of the season to have any hope of finishing sixth!

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 pm

King Crimson wrote:"Suarez plus cash" is what I heard.

Chuck in the Three Graces and you might have a deal. They'd look lovely by the canal baisin.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season