Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 pm

First Half: Shexy Football Overload.

Second Half: Donald Eartha Barstewards who couldn't give an arsenal playing misguided passes and aimless corners/crosses towards Tranmere's defenders.

Plus a mega eartha referee!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:17 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
The Walsall lot were embarrassing standing in the middle of the road offering people out, shaven heads and bomber jackets. All looked to be in their very late 40s/50s acting like it was 1984 not 2014

Some trouble outside 'The Clipper', apparantly

Wowzers...didn't know Walsall had a firm....get them on the Danny Dyer real football factories.....if we can't score then at least that can be some sort of fame

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Disappointed with the result after listening to the first half on Sadsworld. Two points from 3 winnable away games may prove to be costly come the end of the season.

UTS

This is why we wont make it. We are still in a very good position, but we need to be far more ruthless, we throw points away on a regular basis. The sexy football is good, the defence is good on the whole, in fact the whole team is pretty damn good, but they just need to start being more ruthless. We will never go anywhere if we don't do this. I didn't go to the game today, but it's all far to predictable, I didn't need to go, I have a good idea how the game went without being there, without reading a single report about it.

It's not so much a case of turning losses in to draws, but a sure fire case we need to turn some of those draws in to wins, and it's all there on a plate for them. Over Christmas we had an off day at Bristol City, I can live with that, but Gillingham we threw away, and again today you have to close these games out if you are going to be serious contenders.

As it is, I'm not that fussed if we make it or not, we are enjoyable to watch on the whole, and if we went up it would be one big struggle for us, be nice to see us give it a good go while we've got the chance though.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 pm

sallian wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
The Walsall lot were embarrassing standing in the middle of the road offering people out, shaven heads and bomber jackets. All looked to be in their very late 40s/50s acting like it was 1984 not 2014

Wowzers...didn't know Walsall had a firm....get them on the Danny Dyer real football factories.....if we can't score then at least that can be some sort of fame

Are you a Walsall fan Sallian?

I only ask because I presume you would know Walsall had one of the top number of arrests in League One last term....

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Not all is lost...would have loved 3 points but tranny are fighting for there lives down the bottom. Seen the goal on Ssn and it was a cracker from Milan. As for there's the ball bounced in front of the keeper he could have done better. It seems that Richard has a problem with dealing with balls which bounce in front of him so more work needs to be done on this during training. Keep the faith

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 pm

sallian wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:I know an attack is not just based on shot statistics but:-

9 attempts for the whole match.....one shot ever 10 mnutes is woeful!

3 shots on target for the whole match....one shot on target every half an hour......its nowhere near good enough even for a team at the bottom of the table.

One of the best defending teams while being one of the worst attacking teams, what a combination!

Didn't one of the previous managers introduce some computerised video analysis software or something? I think Dean Smith badly needs that to wake up to the reality.

Fella, you are losing credibility with some of this nonsense. I agree with some of the stuff you write, but do yourself a favour and try some balance. Smith is doing a great job. I am sure that he knows more than anyone where we need to strengthen.

Apart from the last line about computer analysis, which one of the managers DID INTRODUCE....(but I was being sarcastic about needing that) what part of that post was nonsense?!

Nonsense in other posts.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Nothing wrong with that result. UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:57 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:

I only ask because I presume you would know Walsall had one of the top number of arrests in League One last term....

I had no idea. Been watching Walsall since 80s....but watch a lot less games these days.

I just checked the arrest statistics on a guardian article and saw that Walsall are among the top...especially if you consider it per supporter....No wonder I get so much strop on this board, u lot have no discipline!

What is the Walsall firm called?

Slayers from 'Sall?
Walsall Casuals?
Warriors of Walsall?
Sall Syndicate?
Barr Beacon Barbarians?
Saddler Savages?

gray
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:00 pm

sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:

I had no idea. Been watching Walsall since 80s....but watch a lot less games these days.?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:Nothing wrong with that result. UTS

On the whole, agreed.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Decent opening today - couple of pints and a fairly standard trim and I went into half time feeling confident that a good outcome was on the cards.

Lost the plot after the break - moved on to a 7% porter and ended up with a George Michael goatee and full body wax. Disappointing.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:32 pm

haven't had time to read all reports from todays gem so sorry if im going over old ground.

firstly I went to tranmere thinking a point pre match would be a good result as tranmere over the years have always given us a game at their place.
the first half went along at a lovely tempo for Walsall very nice short passing little flicks that came off and a lovely goal
tranmere weren't at the races and first 45 mins I thought were the worst team id seen so far inclusing the home match.

I think we cam out a big cocky 2nd half and instead of putting a shift in we were always on the back foot
I think if we had even played average 2nd half we would have won but tranmere wanted it more than us.

players today that frustrated me firstly hemmings. very poor today never won the ball never tackled for the ball was anonymous 2nd half
secondly sawyers . how frustrating is he. a fantastic football brain knows exactly what he wants to do but doesn't always have the ability in the body to do it.
gives the ball away far too often and not just today but I suppose that's why hes at Walsall and not in premiership with wba.

thirdly westcarr. I know he gets goals but today was like hemmings anonymous and again we had nothing to bring on to suppprt him or replace him.

I haven't missed many games this season and all I can say is that were definatly a good side with potential but we need strengthening.
im not saying money transfers as that would be ridiculous but need some loanees in soon.
we have a lot of games coming up and with one or two additions we could just sneak in 6th.

very frustrating that it fet we dropped 2 points today for not coming out 2nd half and putting a shift in.

lastly the referee well how he gets any games is unbelievable.
I don't blame him for walsalls play but how one sided he was is unbelievable.
he booked 3 of ours which were very 50/50 1 was for dissent.
they lunged in second half which was a borderline red card and he never even gave a yellow and never gave the free kick. bloody awful refeering from all officals today and don't deserve to work again. we all have an offday but they should have had 3/4 yellows and at least have been under pressure of getting sent off.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

It is to much of a simplistic statement though. We were winning with 12 minutes left and heading in to the top 6.Psychologically we have to do that at some point, every time we get close we let it slip. We threw 2 points away at Gillingham, so the off day at Bristol became even more of a problem. It's not down to a lack of fitness, our team is very fit, it's more a concentration thing, and sometimes attitude also. We should be disappointed not to win the game, if we're not, then it's mid table mediocrity again. Which in itself isn't a bad thing, but we can improve without signing a single player.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

It is to much of a simplistic statement though. We were winning with 12 minutes left and heading in to the top 6.Psychologically we have to do that at some point, every time we get close we let it slip. We threw 2 points away at Gillingham, so the off day at Bristol became even more of a problem. It's not down to a lack of fitness, our team is very fit, it's more a concentration thing, and sometimes attitude also. We should be disappointed not to win the game, if we're not, then it's mid table mediocrity again. Which in itself isn't a bad thing, but we can improve without signing a single player.

Nonsense.

Firstly if we get in the top six it's a bonus this season.

Secondly, it's irrelevant how long we spend in the top 6 this season. It only matters if we are there at 5PM on 3rd May.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

Nonsense.

Secondly, it's irrelevant how long we spend in the top 6 this season. It only matters if we are there at 5PM on 3rd May.

Losers mentality.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

Nonsense.

Losers mentality.

No it's not. It's a realists mentality.

As other better contributors than you have said already on this site, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If we were to get promoted this season, next season will be a very long and hard one.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:30 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:[quote="Andy_Petterson"]Nothing wrong with that result. UTS

On the whole, agreed.

Nonsense.

Losers mentality.

As other better contributors than you have said already on this site, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If we were to get promoted this season, next season will be a very long and hard one.[/quote]

Bloody he'll! Lets start every season hoping we do no better than just lower mid table then. Would be horrible if we're to have ambitions of success [ANGRY FACE]

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 pm

tinned wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

Losers mentality.

As other better contributors than you have said already on this site, we have to be very careful what we wish for. If we were to get promoted this season, next season will be a very long and hard one.

It is hard seeing a team not achieve what it could at the top end of the table too...Missing out on play-offs is one form of minor torment, another form of torment is getting relegated from a higher division.

Getting promoted should always be an aim, the victories in a more difficult division would be in drawing with better and bigger teams, occasional wins and surviving...which would be like going up every season. It would test Dean Smith's abilities in very difficult circumstances, just like he is being tested now and doing quite well. I think he would like the challenge and players often raise their games in more glamorous surroundings. Money would be gained from going up, you would expect gates to be bigger and then, if relegated, a play off challenge may be immediately realistic as a goal after having played against superior opposition the previous season. A higher standard of player would be attracted on frees and loans also.

If Walsall can compete regularly with all the best teams in this division, as they have done, then there is no reason not to believe they couldn't make a good fist of a spell in the division above. Will need to keep Lalkovic ideally though :)

Top six this season should not really be seen as a bonus, it should be a serious and realistic goal...as seeing as they have competed well against the top teams and should have been firmly in the top six with a few more goals. If Walsall don't make the top six they have to see it as a disappointment.

Last season they should have made the top six also. They messed up at the end of last season, having put themselves in a position where they should have made it, they let themselves down....last season they had the strike force to do it.

With half the season gone, Walsall have shown they are capable of being in the top six...as they almost are in the top six anyway and they know very well the games they should have won. So nothing less than the play-offs must be the goal. But they need to be realistic about their shortcomings and deal with the weakness in attack (chance creation and finishing) something that can and should be rectified.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I seem to be being labelled as someone who doesn't want to see Walsall win. This is not the case.

My point is I don't think some posters on here understand just how much the lads and Deano have achieved this season. A point away at Tranmere is nothing to be sniffed at.

Suppose you went to work, slog your guts out and put your heart into it, and do a really good job. Something beyond the call of duty. Something that really adds value, that no-one else would have done or thought of doing or that it had been done really badly for ages. Suppose that despite this you could have done the job a bit better if you'd had a bit more time or slightly better resources or didn't have a cold one particular day and this frustrates you.

Suppose some know it all then comes along and points this out that you could do this, this and this bit of the job slightly better. How happy would you be about that?

Replace 'you' with Dean Smith and Walsall Fc and 'know it all' with Salian/WaW and hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from.

Yes, I want to see Walsall in the play offs and the Championship. I just think some posters are showing a lack of gratitude for what we are already achieving.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:I seem to be being labelled as someone who doesn't want to see Walsall win. This is not the case.

My point is I don't think some posters on here understand just how much the lads and Deano have achieved this season. A point away at Tranmere is nothing to be sniffed at.

Suppose you went to work, slog your guts out and put your heart into it, and do a really good job. Something beyond the call of duty. Something that really adds value, that no-one else would have done or thought of doing or that it had been done really badly for ages. Suppose that despite this you could have done the job a bit better if you'd had a bit more time or slightly better resources or didn't have a cold one particular day and this frustrates you.

Suppose some know it all then comes along and points this out that you could do this, this and this bit of the job slightly better. How happy would you be about that?

Replace 'you' with Dean Smith and Walsall Fc and 'know it all' with Salian/WaW and hopefully you'll see where I'm coming from.

Yes, I want to see Walsall in the play offs and the Championship. I just think some posters are showing a lack of gratitude for what we are already achieving.

He/They have done well in many areas...but there are still many things that can be improved and a few things that they MUST improve to enjoy the fruits they should be enjoying.

A person/manager/player/supporter may well not see what some supporters see here and there. You can't see the whole pitch and all the players at once. He know what he told them to do and he knows how well they are following his tactics...but he may at the same time be missing many things that others do see.

A manager will bring in assistants, coaches with experience to watch the games and see if he is missing something or whether they can offer some revitalising advice so far untried. So there is no reason to believe that some supporters observations on tactics, formation, style etc are not totally accurate. Football is football not algebra.

Any of us in Dean's position may well mess things up and get Walsall relegated, but it doesn't mean we can't make sound observations here and there either generally or on specific issues. I stick to my main criticisms:-

i) Not enough chances created
ii) Not enough ambition to score many goals in a game
iii) Not enough shots on goal, especially quick shots.
iv) Not enough balls into danger areas, early on.
v) Not enough supporting surges into the goal area by players off the ball.

Improve on some of these feasible changes and I think they would be in the play offs for sure, even without adding any players to the squad.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:41 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:I seem to be being labelled as someone who doesn't want to see Walsall win. This is not the case.

I'm not wishing for promotion, quite happy where we are, BUT, the play offs are there on a plate for us if we want them. Forget the money that's been spent, blah, blah, blah, we are a useful side, and with a few adjustments we could make the play offs.

Not sure who allows you to decide who is a better contributor than me, Blazing_Saddler- We-ARE-Walsall has a pretty high rep on UTS I would say. And as as someone who has been following Walsall home and away for 34 years, I am as entitled to my opinion as you are. Whenever we go up (if we do, and it's part of the long term goal right?) the first season is always going to be difficult, and may end up with relegation, does that mean we should just not bother then? Got to take your chances while you can, we had a great chance last season, we've got a good chance this season too. If you aim for mediocrity then that is the best you can achieve, and will probably do worse. Aim for the sky, be the best you can be, and see where it takes you. That's always been my philosophy on football and life. Realistically, we can make the play offs this season, that's a fact.

P.S

I don't owe Walsall Football Club one ounce of gratitude. They owe me, my Dad, his Dad, and his Dad a whole bunch of it though.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:57 am

WarsawPact wrote:

Walsall blokes were not offering out random innocent people.

anyone who was in the clipper will know that a group of 'casuals' was lurking around the pub for a fair while, Walsall fans were aware but didn't let it bother them, until.... the group come in and called it on to the Walsall fans and left the pub, Walsall fans left the pub and seen them off as all but 1 of them where half way up the street.

no one other then the group of lads got any aggro.

I think its the same with Sheffield Wednesday, thinking its little Walsall so they can take liberties.

fair play to the chaps, let them know this wasn't the case and at the same time kept it under wraps, didn't go chasing them or smacking one silly lad who stood on his own.

no doubt some do- gooder will tell me im encouraging violence and im a dreg of society zzz

p.s not one punch was thrown.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:41 am

I think they got a bit peed off when the songs started i was out the other side when it started and walked back in with 5/6 of em who was sayin 'think they efin own the place , lets av it then' but turned round and hung round the bar when they heard a burst of we are walsall outside. Not really violence when there wasnt even a scrap. Just 2 sets of fans not wanting to be outdone really. But back to the game ,we controlled it throughout but so bloody frustrating with no spark up top. We need someone who can make positive runs behind the defence or even just turn and make a run in the area. We have everything apart from a clever , clinical forward. Westcarr gota bit of stick which i think was unfair , he has to feed on a lot of scrap up front. Sawyers had an off day. I'd be tempted to put milan ahead of westcarr. Gray and bax on the wings and sawyers , mantom and either chambers or featherstone in the middle. Hemmings as imapact sub. (Unless we actually use our noggin and get a foorward in) hewitt was very poor when he came on i thought. Although it wasnt for long. But we are still 1 point off top 6 .i would have snapped the hand off anyone offering that at this stage at the start of the season.
It is doable!

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 am

Sounds well exciting Brummie .... not.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:08 am

KoloSaddler wrote:Sounds well exciting Brummie .... not.

I love how he uses the lingo. Pwoper nawty.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 am

well dont read it then

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:04 am

Exciting? Not really but the episode needed telling. The fact that a few Tranmere low life scumbags decided to act tough in a pub full of couples and families with kids enjoying a few pre match beers was one thing. The attitude and actions of the steroid enhanced morons running the door was another. Firstly they allowed these idiots in, then they prevented anyone from getting out by very aggressively pushing them back into the bar. One of them even went to throw a punch at one of the Saddlers fans only to have his arm pulled back by another Saddlers fan. He was lucky that the punch didn't land because if it had there would be a bigger discussion on here about the aftermath. All of this was witnessed by the police. What did they do? The grand total of fudge all apart from advising us to complain about the doormen to the council.

Basically it was a minor incident made worse by the very people paid to prevent these kind of incidents.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 am

ws3 wrote:

Exciting? Not really but the episode needed telling. The fact that a few Tranmere low life scumbags decided to act tough in a pub full of couples and families with kids enjoying a few pre match beers was one thing. The attitude and actions of the steroid enhanced morons running the door was another. Firstly they allowed these idiots in, then they prevented anyone from getting out by very aggressively pushing them back into the bar. One of them even went to throw a punch at one of the Saddlers fans only to have his arm pulled back by another Saddlers fan. He was lucky that the punch didn't land because if it had there would be a bigger discussion on here about the aftermath. All of this was witnessed by the police. What did they do? The grand total of donald all apart from advising us to complain about the doormen to the council.

Basically it was a minor incident made worse by the very people paid to prevent these kind of incidents.

It is so often the case with these kind of incidents.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am

I'm of the opinion that Smith and his staff should be left to get on with the it,from what i read and hear the team are playing some entertaining stuff for the first time in many years.I do wish though that he would stop living in denial and acknowledge that he at least has a problem with the lack of goals scored.Just the fact that they have scored the least goals of any team in the top half of the table should drop a heavy hint.I really cant see the point in ignoring the stats.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 am

your just a barclays lad, obviously have a gripe.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season