Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Our Christmas/New Year programme concludes with the visit of the Blades, who are currently unbeaten in their last 8 games. Nigel Clough certainly seems to have had a positive effect there as United are now 3 points above the relegation zone with 25 points, having been deep in the mire when he arrived. Their most recent League One games:

Nov 26 Walsall (H) Drew 1-1
Nov 30 Leyton Orient (A) Drew 1-1
Dec 14 Swindon Town (H) Won 1-0
Dec 21 Stevenage (A) Drew 0-0
Dec 26 Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
Dec 29 Tranmere Rovers (H) Won 3-1

We may be able to renew our acquaintance with two old friends in Florent Cuvelier (who came on in the 83rd minute against Tranmere) and Febian Brandy (who warmed the bench throughout the game). Their other recruit from Walsall (Darryl Westlake) has been loaned out to Mansfield Town.

I think it's fair to say that Sheffield United have under-achieved in a major fashion so far this season - indeed, they were seen by many observers as certain top-six material. Big club, big history, big budget, we all know the story. However, they do seem to be recovering well, and it would be a mistake to under-estimate them. If we can get 3 points I'll be very pleased - 1-0 with a returning Lalkovic to score please.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Yet another team with a relativly new manager. :(

I'd much rather be playing against a team with a manager who's about to get the sack...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:11 am

WarsawPact wrote:Yet another team with a relativly new manager. :(

I'd much rather be playing against a team with a manager who's about to get the sack...

We've got Wolves in March. Hopefully Jackett is building up to that point by then.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:53 am

0-2 6870

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:06 pm

chestersaddler wrote:0-2 6870

Good job that wasn't me making that prediction, there would have been a tirade of abuse from all the usual sources (hence the 'self imposed' departure from the board)

I think they we will win 1-0 in front of 4,400 odd, so there.... all the best to most of the UTS crowd, and all the best to the Saddlers for the rest of the season.

UTS always.......

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Bristol City, ugly and robust. Gillingham ugly and robust. Sheffield United, negative but very tough to play against (or they were at Bramall Lane). Coupled with the fact they scored 3 against Tranmere for the first time in yonks, I'd suggest we are in trouble tommorrow.

0-0 or 0-1.
4,959 with 991 from Sheffield.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 pm

1-1
96% possession

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:07 pm

moaning saddler wrote:96% possession

Some of it even in their half. ;)

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 pm

1-1 i think we will take the lead though standard. there will be 4300 saddlers with about 1150 blades we did our old trick of telling the away club its all ticket for them then changing our minds again like the coventry game so that will effect there following.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 pm

A draw is the best we can hope for, as the Blades are the sort of side - big, tough and rough - we have struggled against, particularly at home, all season. Nigel Clough has got them set up to not lose and it's beginning to pay dividends.

Westcarr to break his recent non-scoring spell in front of 5,834, including 1,542 away.

MAsaddler

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Walsall to win 3-1. Attendance 4867. O'Donnell trialled up front and scores a hatrick.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 pm

SU 2-1 Walsall with us having 104.769% Possesion. Brandy to dive whilst still on the subs bench and win a penalty. He will then come on to convert it. He will then score a worldy from the half way line. Cuvellier to come on and score one for us on purpose. He will then reveal a message on his underlayer reading 'In Ginger Mourinho I trust'. Brandy to get 7 red cards for various incidents, ruling him out through suspension for the remainder of his 2 year contract.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Good job that wasn't me making that prediction, there would have been a tirade of abuse from all the usual sources (hence the 'self imposed' departure from the board)

I think they we will win 1-0 in front of 4,400 odd, so there.... all the best to most of the UTS crowd, and all the best to the Saddlers for the rest of the season.

UTS always.......

Oh come on moaner don't let people get to you I'm sure you've had worse in life you are a good poster on here !

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:31 pm

BathSaddler wrote:A draw is the best we can hope for, as the Blades are the sort of side - big, tough and rough - we have struggled against, particularly at home, all season. Nigel Clough has got them set up to not lose and it's beginning to pay dividends.

Westcarr to break his recent non-scoring spell in front of 5,834, including 1,542 away.

I agree clough will set them up not to lose but I have feeling we will score early and scupper their plans sawyers is on fire and will score in a 2 0 win with lalcovic scoring following a quick break

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm

It has been announced today that Marlon King has parted company with Sheffield United, so that's one less worry for us!! Mind you he had only scored once in nine appearances, but he might have been good on the assists front.

Happy New Year everyone. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:03 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

When did you receive a "tirade of abuse" for predicting a defeat?

Oh, and I'd opt for longer than a couple of days if you intend for folks on here to think an absence isn't due to brass rubbing, shopping for a new three piece suite or something else rather more rudimentary than a dummy-throw.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am

King Crimson wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

When did you receive a "tirade of abuse" for predicting a defeat?

Oh, and I'd opt for longer than a couple of days if you intend for folks on here to think an absence isn't due to brass rubbing, shopping for a new three piece suite or something else rather more rudimentary than a dummy-throw.

Yeah to do it properly you have to stick a letter of resignation on the board. Proper toy throwing that is.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:55 am

Just had a look at their forums,there is an "official brandy is an idiot" thread I was going to do a link but the language is to bad.They all want rid of him.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Just had a look at their forums,there is an "official brandy is an idiot" thread I was going to do a link but the language is to bad.They all want rid of him.

Think he's been suspended for 8 of their games.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:14 pm

I would expect a 0-1, 1-2 or 0-2 loss but its about time Walsall won a game and had a performance, so the law of averages might outweigh my accurate analysis of the reality today. But I will stick with a loss.

From the 'Brandy is an idiot' thread on Sheff. Utd. forum.
"...Unfortunately Fabians ego is far in excess of his level of skill..."

This is what I thought too, and I think Hemmings suffers from attitude issues of delusory grandeur too...but maybe regular missing of chances is lowering his self estimation. Its better to have no players like this, whatever benefits they bring can be overshadowed by regular tantrums, selfish foolish acts and emotional egotistical decisions on and off the pitch, which sets a bad example to younger players and lowers the morale of the team.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Today's starting line-up:

O'Donnell

Chambers
Taylor
Chambers
Downing
Butler

Baxendale
Mantom

Hewitt
Sawyers
Lalkovic

Substitutes: Purkiss, Featherstone, Westcarr, Hemmings, Lewis, Benning, Gray.

Strikers to the fore.......... :D

Brandy and Cuvelier both start on the bench for the Blades.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Hemmings, Westcarr and Purkiss out. Hewitt, James Chambers and Lalkovic in.

Different, at least Smith's trying something to help us produce more goals. I get the feeling he doesn't fancy Purkiss at right back, whether he's directly or indirectly involved in conceding goals, we do concede more when he's on the pitch.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Elsewhere after 10 minutes, no goals anywhere in League One. But we've climbed above Swindon as things stand, their home game being postponed...

Jamie Paterson starts for Nottingham Forest, but George Bowerman doesn't even make Accrington Stanley's bench.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Peterborough 0 Brentford 1 (15 min)

Peterborough have imploded spectacularly, losing 7 out of their last 10 games. Long may it continue.....

Meanwhile, Sheffield United get their 3rd corner of the game, after 15 min. :?, and then score!!! We're 0-1 down.

(Just the chance we need...go one down then score four, to expose sallian's theories for what they are)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Not the best of starts. I'll take that 1-1 draw now...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Elsewhere, the Dingles are reduced to 10 men after Stearman is sent off at Tranmere after 19 minutes.

Oldham Athletic 0 Sloppies 1

We have our first corner, on 21 min.

Notts County 1 Bradford 0 (30 min)

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 pm

30 minutes and still not a shot on target. What do they do all week!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:30 minutes and still not a shot on target. What do they do all week!

They're obviously not reading sallian's training manual....... :roll:

Tranmere Rovers 1 Dingles 0 :lol:
Peterborough 1 Brentford 2 now
Rotherham 1 Coventry 0 ... Rotherham now above Peterborough as things stand. We're 5 points off the play-offs.
Preston 1 Port Vale 0

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:43 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:30 minutes and still not a shot on target. What do they do all week!

They look at themselves in the mirror with added hair gel and no doubt, various tattoos...then they play around on Twitter and Instagram....and txt their girlfriends about how lucky they are to be associated with them. Then when Dean Smith turns his back on them on the training ground....they swap photos on facebook and google for the latest Mercedes and BMWs which they hope for after a transfer. But they didn't have the brain cells to understand they have to gain some proficiency on the pitch first.

If I was a gambling man, I could have been rolling in it. But then again, if I started gambling...they would probably start scoring.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:44 pm

\at least the other teams are keeping us within sight of the playoffs!

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season