Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Still only 2 shots on target (and one a penalty) according to Orwellian State Propaganda media stats....this would mean my theory still holds and that this is just a law of averages result against the grain, if they indeed hold on.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Gray on for Hewitt, 76min.

Attendance 5,015 btw.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Attendance 5,015
Last edited by BathSaddler on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm

If we had Ian McParland and Adrian Thorpe on we would be destroying them. But Adrian Thorpe is now a firefighter and McParland a youth coach at Notts Forest.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Latest elsewhere.... Rotherham 1 Coventry 2

Which, as things stand, puts us ONE POINT from the play-offs. However, sallian says we're not going to get to the play-offs. :roll:

Sheffield United substitution, 84min... some diving guy called Brandy comes on.

Edit... Peterborough 1 Brentford 3 now...good news for us in terms of goal difference difference!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Latest elsewhere.... Rotherham 1 Coventry 2

Which, as things stand, puts us ONE POINT from the play-offs. However, sallian says we're not going to get to the play-offs. :roll:

I hope he was given a 'warm' welcome :wink: .

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Full Time 2-1 :D :D :D :D :D :D

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Edit... Peterborough 1 Brentford 3 now...good news for us in terms of goal difference difference!!!

I still don't think they will reach the play offs, only 3 shots on target today including the penalty.....1 shot on target every 30 mins will not put you in the play offs.

However, if they hold on without Brandy winning a cheating penalty...it will still be a good result against a Sheff. Utd. previously unbeaten in last 7.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Full time, and a welcome 3 points. Well done lads!!! :D

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm

A good win especially as 1-0 down. Onwards and upwards. :D :D

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Brandy totally ineffective in his 9 minutes, that's enough time to score a hat-trick, Walsall right to banish him.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:01 pm

If we hadn't conceded that dodgy equalizer on Saturday we'd be in the play off spots. Unbelievable!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Well done boys! Four points from the last two games after being a goal down, big character shown. Seems like Westcarr played a withdrawn or wide role today when he came on - he's better there... I wonder if Smith will stick with Hewitt for the upcoming games to accommodate Westcarr in that role? Be interested to hear from those who braved the elements today

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Three great points and coming from 1-0 down to win! It looked like late pressure from them [according to text commentary] but we managed to hold out one way or another. They probably think they were worth at least a point, but who cares :) ?

I expect bouquets rather than brickbats for Westcarr tonight :wink: .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Two biggest key games of Walsall's season coming up now.....away at Tranmere and home to Oldham...if they can win those two they will be championship contenders but if they lose them they will be locked into a relegation struggle. Every win will either build confidence....or complacency

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:13 pm

sallian wrote:Two biggest key games of Walsall's season coming up now.....away at Tranmere and home to Oldham...if they can win those two they will be championship contenders but if they lose them they will be locked into a relegation struggle.

You don't half talk through your fundamental orifice. :evil:

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:Two biggest key games of Walsall's season coming up now.....away at Tranmere and home to Oldham...if they can win those two they will be championship contenders but if they lose them they will be locked into a relegation struggle.

You don't half talk through your fundamental orifice. :evil:

It was a joke apart from the last sentence, although my jokes about future events tend to come true or worse.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:21 pm

sallian wrote:

I still don't think they will reach the play offs, only 3 shots on target today including the penalty.....1 shot on target every 30 mins will not put you in the play offs.

However, if they hold on without Brandy winning a cheating penalty...it will still be a good result against a Sheff. Utd. previously unbeaten in last 7.

If you'd been at the game you'd know that some of the off target shots were literally inches away.
Totally different performance in the 2nd half.
From shocking to pretty damn good!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Just a name. Craig Westcarr. Changed the game when he came on.

First half was shocking, conditions aside, we were terrible. Everyone had a 2/10 at this point.

Whatever Smith said at half time worked a treat, we closed them down, put the foot in and battled harder than a side thats made of 19 foot lumps. They won the battle in the end, just.

One incisive spell where we put our chances away, one totally correct penalty decision, and a twenty minute period of sexual defending(with a tad luck). We could have, should have scored another on the break. It was a proper game second half.

Febian Brandy confirmed his dickhead status by warming up infront of the lower tier, classy guy. Seeing Taylor put him on the deck made me smile with glee.

James Chambers, MOTM, by a mile.

Pleased to finally see some subs being used to effect, Gray was good when he came on amazed he missed from about 2 yards though :)

O Donnell loved hat win, but he's Wednesday ay he.

Superb time wasting with the substitution against a Clough side that tries to cheat everything. Sweet for us. Karma's a bitch.

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:34 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
sallian wrote:

If you'd been at the game you'd know that some of the off target shots were literally inches away.
Totally different performance in the 2nd half.
From shocking to pretty damn good!

Well that's encouraging then. Let's hope they maintain the drive in the next few games

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:Just a name. Craig Westcarr. Changed the game when he came on.

First half was shocking, conditions aside, we were terrible. Everyone had a 2/10 at this point.

Whatever Smith said at half time worked a treat, we closed them down, put the foot in and battled harder than a side thats made of 19 foot lumps. They won the battle in the end, just.

One incisive spell where we put our chances away, one totally correct penalty decision, and a twenty minute period of sexual defending(with a tad luck). We could have, should have scored another on the break. It was a proper game second half.

Febian Brandy confirmed his vile little man status by warming up infront of the lower tier, classy guy. Seeing Taylor put him on the deck made me smile with glee.

James Chambers, MOTM, by a mile.

Pleased to finally see some subs being used to effect, Gray was good when he came on amazed he missed from about 2 yards though :)

O Donnell loved hat win, but he's Wednesday ay he.

Superb time wasting with the substitution against a Clough side that tries to cheat everything. Sweet for us. Karma's a bitch.

UTS

Westcarr is a must for the team, despite missing many he at least puts them away on some regular basis and gives the effort too. Chambers brothers represent the positive essence of the side for sure.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Proper game of two halves. Terrible first much much better in the second . For some reason we played long ball first half to no effect . Second saw us play our natural pass,and move but with more intent to get in the box . Chambers goal was the result. That must have been a tactical decision as was bringing Westy on so well done to the management team. Felt a defeat today would really dent our play off hopes as I truly believe its only sixth spot that is realistic for us. Well we start 2014 very much in the hunt. Happy Saddler tonight :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:04 pm

First time this season that we've come from behind to win a game, so nice to get that monkey off our back.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm

much better second half, westcarr made a big difference, i do fear for bax though, as much as i like him i think he could well spend the majority of the second half of the season on the bench as he did last season when results improved. chambers and saywers stood out for me, the latters first touch creates him that half a yard of space.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 pm

bangsection wrote:First time this season that we've come from behind to win a game, so nice to get that sallian off our back.

Fixed that for you :wink:

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:20 pm

sandysaddler wrote:much better second half, westcarr made a big difference, i do fear for bax though, as much as i like him i think he could well spend the majority of the second half of the season on the bench as he did last season when results improved. chambers and saywers stood out for me, the latters first touch creates him that half a yard of space.

i wouldnt worry too much about bax mate, hes a young lad who not physically filled out yet i think a spell on the sidelines will do him well he looks a bit jaded at the minute, the lad will come good im sure of it if we stay behind him during tough spells

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm

my rating today

o donnell-8- meant a lot to him that one did everything he had to do very well
chambers- 10- motm defended superbly and got a goal
butler-8-usually captain fantastic and won a pen
downing-7-really solid
andy taylor-7- mr 7/10 never has a bad game
manton-7-decent from sam
chambers-6-thought he struggled a little today
sawyers-7-picked up 2nd half after struggling in the first period
lalkovic-7-nearly scored late on did ok
baxendale-5-struggled looks tired
hewitt-6-worked his socks off with little reward

subs

westcarr-8-helped changed the game and got a goal
hemmings-6-did ok had little time
gray-6-same as above

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Didn't see why penalty was awarded but gather it was for a foul on Butler. Maybe Smith or Butler had a word with the referee at half time because he didn't give the most blatant penalty when their number 5 was all over Butler right in front of him.

mossa

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Major difference today in the second half performance which was inspired by the half time sub of Westcarr. The first twenty minutes we were bullied and outclassed and the goal looked inevitable. When United scored I feared the worst but the goal seemed to do us good. United took their foot of the gas and we finally got into the match although we didn't really look like scoring. I was pleased to see Westcarr replace Baxendale as Baxenadale again was having a poor game. I'm a fan of Baxendale but he is not a winger and he has needed replacing for a few games now. Westcarr straight away added a physical threat we were missing and suddenly we looked the physically stronger team which was hard to believe after the first half.
MOTM for me was Sawyers, I don't think he misplaced a pass all afternoon and he oozes class. He also fought and got stuck in today which he hasn't always done. Just behind Sawyers for MOTM was James Chambers who fought hard and took his goal well. Mentions also for Mantom, Milan and Butler who all had good games. Only Baxendale had a poor game and everbody added something.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Didn't see why penalty was awarded but gather it was for a foul on Butler. Maybe Smith or Butler had a word with the referee at half time because he didn't give the most blatant penalty when their number 5 was all over Butler right in front of him.

Yep, in his post-match interview Clough was moaning that Dean Smith had been talking to the referee as the teams came off at the end of the first half - presumably about exactly that. Smith seems to be getting the hang of this management lark. Clough was apoplectic about the penalty decision, by the way. *Snigger*

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season