Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) Sun Dec 29th League One, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) Sun Dec 29th League One, 3pm

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:if you take the ball ache of a logistical nightmare that is Gillingham out of the equation....
its one of the best away grounds to visit, proper ground (all stands different to each other) close to the pitch.
ground squashed inbetween a housing estate.
the high street with pubs down the road.

if we have these away for a game that could decide something or just a last game of the season gypsy's up I will be very happy if we land Gillingham.

It's poor on most fronts. You need to get to more grounds.

on most fronts? love the facts there, it ay walsall fc i guess so youve gotta run it down.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Have they got the temporary seating there still? Or have they built a proper away end?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 pm

aaaae wrote:Have they got the temporary seating there still? Or have they built a proper away end?

Nope - still the uncovered scaffolding stand.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:45 am

Pedagogue wrote:
aaaae wrote:Have they got the temporary seating there still? Or have they built a proper away end?

Nope - still the uncovered scaffolding stand.

we loosened a few of the bolts ahead of the next away visitors :wink: :twisted:

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:20 am

saddlerken wrote:Whittless in shock Barcelona and Walsall comparison.

donald clueless, mindnumbingly crap comments.

Having trouble getting your medication over the holiday period barclays boy?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:29 am

brummie saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:if you take the ball ache of a logistical nightmare that is Gillingham out of the equation....
its one of the best away grounds to visit, proper ground (all stands different to each other) close to the pitch.

if we have these away for a game that could decide something or just a last game of the season gypsy's up I will be very happy if we land Gillingham.

on most fronts? love the facts there, it ay walsall fc i guess so youve gotta run it down.

Awful for pubs. Only one decent one close to the ground, which is ok as they out food on, but other than that is a dive. Transport is crap, so you can't nip around for a sesh, and the distance means you don't get much pre-match time anyway.

You mention the old fashioned ground, but its not. It's a poorly modernised version of an old style ground, like Bescot. Its hardly an impressive new ground, or an old ground with character. It's nothing. Gillingham is the Walsall/Bescot of pikey/immigration land.

Why do you want houses around the ground? Are you going into someone's lounge for a cup of tea and a slice of cake? If houses around the ground is an important factor to you, I suggest you try Luton.

There's probably only Colchester, Stevenage and Crawley worse for matchday experience in this division.

Now, do you want a decent debate? Or can't you take comments with a pinch of salt?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:17 am

sallian wrote:
Whitters wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:After trying to bore Gillingham to death with possession football for the entire first half, it might have been sensible to use the same tactics for the 3 minutes of injury time after taking the lead in the 90th minute.

I got Sir Alex's autobiography for Christmas and while my first instinct was to bin it, it turns out it's a very interesting read with some very interesting insights.
I recommend it.
In analysing Barca's success he talks of them boring teams to death with possession football until they lose concentration.
So if that's what WFC do, I'm all for it.

The problem is when Walsall do this is that they forget to try and score when the other team gets bored and they also get bored themselves and lose concentration :lol:

I think its a better strategy to try and bore the other team with having to continuously collect the ball out of their own goal.

And we score twice you mean?

ws3
Glitterati

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:31 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Awful for pubs. Only one decent one close to the ground, which is ok as they out food on, but other than that is a dive. Transport is crap, so you can't nip around for a sesh, and the distance means you don't get much pre-match time anyway.

You mention the old fashioned ground, but its not. It's a poorly modernised version of an old style ground, like Bescot. Its hardly an impressive new ground, or an old ground with character. It's nothing. Gillingham is the Walsall/Bescot of pikey/immigration land.

Why do you want houses around the ground? Are you going into someone's lounge for a cup of tea and a slice of cake? If houses around the ground is an important factor to you, I suggest you try Luton.

There's probably only Colchester, Stevenage and Crawley worse for matchday experience in this division.

Now, do you want a decent debate? Or can't you take comments with a pinch of salt?

I quite like Crawley, there are some great pubs in the town which isn't that far from the ground. As for Gillingham we spent a couple of hours in a pub round the corner from the ground with really friendly locals.

Both of them are easy enough to get to traffic wise, the severity of the journey is exaggerated sometimes.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am

My view of away grounds is so coloured by the teams performance that I find it hard to judge objectively. I went to Gillingham for that terrible performance under Colin Lee, so don't have happy feelings about the place.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am

aaaae wrote:My view of away grounds is so coloured by the teams performance that I find it hard to judge objectively. I went to Gillingham for that terrible performance under Colin Lee, so don't have happy feelings about the place.

Har. The place is a dump just for that.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:06 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
aaaae wrote:My view of away grounds is so coloured by the teams performance that I find it hard to judge objectively. I went to Gillingham for that terrible performance under Colin Lee, so don't have happy feelings about the place.

Har. The place is a dump just for that.

On the other hand I've been to the Moulinex 4 times and seen the Dingles lose each and every time!! :lol:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

its nothing like bescot at all, gillingham has 4 stands all completely different to each other the bescot has about half a stand difference.

how can you not like grounds that feel like they have an old natural bulidning place, in a world where grounds like colchester may be seen as the future i think its nice to enjoy such cack tips.

and some may argue who the hell wants a flamin gastro pub, its abit noncey, bristol city brilliant as we found a right proper all alcohol boozer with friendly adult drinkers inside.

you say there is only one decent pub, this suggests there is a few knocking about, i honestly dont think walsall fans are too pickey aslong as somewhere serves them alcohol.

and you also mentioned the distance in your argument, i pointed out straight away that if you took that out the equation it would be a good away day.

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 pm

wfc & chips wrote:on the highlights last night it looked to me a blatant shove on chambers by akinfenwa for their 2nd. only saw it once, mind.

Just watched it and agree, it was a blatant push.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:44 pm

aaaae wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:on the highlights last night it looked to me a blatant shove on chambers by akinfenwa for their 2nd. only saw it once, mind.

Just watched it and agree, it was a blatant push.

Har. Agree.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season