Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (A) Thurs Dec 26th League One 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
OWEN1955

Re: Bristol City (A) Thurs Dec 26th League One 3pm

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Bristol City have a penalty, 15 min, conceded by O'Donnell :( :(

He didn't save this one ---- we're 1-0 down........

(Edit...don't like this other scoreline.... Bradford 0 Rotherham 1 (which puts us 5 or 6 points away from the play-offs)

(re-edit... Leyton Orient have won at Gillingham after a 90th minute goal, score 1-2)

Was it O'Donnell or featherstone - conflicting reports from sky and Matt Maher

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:29 pm

BBC state O`Donnell. Now looks like getting on top, need to convert pressure into goals.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:29 pm

An attacking option.... Hemmings on for Baxendale, 63 min. Good move!!!

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:0-1....THE FIRST GOAL which means Walsall can't win now as can hardly ever score two goals and are psychologically defeated after conceding the FIRST GOAL due to their own wrong philosophy backed up by some supporters who encourage that philosophy.

This is why the play offs are NOT going to be reached....0-1 to the bottom club and very doubtful they will score two....even though there is a WHOLE HALF left.

Go away, in short jerking movements. :roll:

Your hostility is valid if I am wrong. But if I am not wrong, then you can't blame anyone if you are held to account by the Department of Trade and Industry & the Minister for Women

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:0-1....THE FIRST GOAL which means Walsall can't win now as can hardly ever score two goals and are psychologically defeated after conceding the FIRST GOAL due to their own wrong philosophy backed up by some supporters who encourage that philosophy.

This is why the play offs are NOT going to be reached....0-1 to the bottom club and very doubtful they will score two....even though there is a WHOLE HALF left.

Astonishing. The only rational thing is the suggestion that we won't quite make the play-offs - we lost the best part of £2mills (if we had have got market values) of attacking talent in the summer, have a wage bill that I've seen suggested is less than half of Port Fail, and must be in the bottom 6 in terms of attendance for the division, so any team relying on frees is going to struggle to push on.

We need a striker, but that aside we are generally a joy to watch. Maybe he longs for the days of total football under the canine one?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Hewitt on for Lalkovic, 72min.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:40 pm

where were you when we were winning?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:42 pm

You can tell Steve went again...

bescot42
UTS Regular

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Anyone else having issues with Saddlers Player 2nd half?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:44 pm

bescot42 wrote:Anyone else having issues with Saddlers Player 2nd half?

Listening to Bristol commentary.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Julian Gray on for Craig Westcarr, 83min.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:49 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Astonishing. The only rational thing is the suggestion that we won't quite make the play-offs - we lost the best part of £2mills (if we had have got market values) of attacking talent in the summer, have a wage bill that I've seen suggested is less than half of Port Fail, and must be in the bottom 6 in terms of attendance for the division, so any team relying on frees is going to struggle to push on.

We need a striker, but that aside we are generally a joy to watch. Maybe he longs for the days of total football under the canine one?

Yes paying for a striker would help...but also better attacking strategy, diversity and ambition would help, along with making the strikers improve their accuracy by a range of prolonged shooting drills....which I am quite sure they are not doing.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:An attacking option.... Hemmings on for Baxendale, 63 min. Good move!!!

No idea why Baxendale has been playing for the last two months.............ineffective and weak player.......probably only made the team because of Smith's stubbornness to drop a player who he gave a three year contract to. He has been the worst player for the last four games I have watched.

Not surprised we're losing since Smith has obviously not understood Bangsections onerous but cunning team tactic that we should score one more than the opposition score. I have to say that perhaps he may have an excuse insofar as he hasn't the necessary qualifications in Applied Maths.............I am therefore willing to offer my valuable time and arrange private tuition to enable him to grasp the basic fundamentals, failing that he can borrow my lucky cap and jumper.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:52 pm

wfc & chips wrote:

At Fellows Park getting an autograph off of David Kelly....David Kelly even now would do better than Walsall 'strikers' I am beginning to think that they mean 'striking' as in not going to work, not doing the job they were paid for...rather than its traditional football meaning.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm

5 shots on target in 87mins, they have increased their accurate attempt ratio from one accurate shot every 20 minutes.....progress

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 pm

were we not supposed to WIN this one according to all the happy clappers on here?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Andy Butler booked, 90min. :(

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Another match down the drain. Do you think they have the idea of this game yet.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:08 pm

sallian wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:

At Fellows Park getting an autograph off of David Kelly....David Kelly even now would do better than Walsall 'strikers' I am beginning to think that they mean 'striking' as in not going to work, not doing the job they were paid for...rather than its traditional football meaning.

there's been zip on here from you the last fortnight, i repeat my question.

sallian
Glitterati

So I was right...Walsall go a goal down and at half time I can accurately predict their defeat to the bottom club....because WALSALL CAN'T SCORE...and DON'T SEEM TO WANT WANT TO SCORE GOALS EITHER.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Ancient Moaner wrote:were we not supposed to WIN this one according to all the happy clappers on here?

Is it happy clappy to predict a win against a team who'd won twice in twenty-odd?

Not condoning the result, it's cack, but what you've just said is massively thick. I expect no less.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:09 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
sallian wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:

there's been zip on here from you the last fortnight, i repeat my question.

The cat got my tongue

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 pm

wfc & chips wrote:there's been zip on here from you the last fortnight, i repeat my question.

I only sing when its raining

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Lost to the bottom side who have only won 2 all season - good job I backed Bristol for a win and locked away my lucky cap in the ottoman thus proving beyond doubt that it's magical powers are beyond dispute.

L :arrow: PERIOD

ps I predict Mystic Meg to post 'Worst team in the world' instead of a more factual and realistic 'average league 1 team we ay as good as we think'

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 pm

The trolling of match threads during and after a defeat is monotonous. Not really worth picking through the hysterical over reaction, unfunny sarcasm and banal pseudo intellectualism to find the occasional comment of worth

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I'd take 6 points prior to the last three games so content with that. Just a penalty between the teams and surely in a better position than this time last year. A year on year progression. Here's to a fine end of the year come Sunday and a cracking 2014.

Unbelievably our last ten games probably suggests we're in bad form by our standards. Who would've thought that 2years ago, top ten and slightly aggrieved!! I'll happily clap on if it is all the same to y'all lot.

UTS!

SWS1

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm

bolloc-ks. We really should NOT lose games like this if we really do have any ambitions beyond survival.
Last edited by SWS1 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:The trolling of match threads during and after a defeat is monotonous. Not really worth picking through the hysterical over reaction, unfunny sarcasm and banal pseudo intellectualism to find the occasional comment of worth

I agree, your one dimensional post was not worth reading since it contained no comment or opinion on the match, football or even Walsall.

Delves Saddler

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi again all, its been a long time since I've posted but I keep up to date regularly but I've been immediately reminded as to why I generally don't post anymore as the negative trolls seem to crawl out of the woodwork to berate those who dare enjoy whats going on at the club at the moment regardless of when we lose.

Granted it was a bad result for us today but the opposition have just appointed a fairly steady manager and I'm sure their squad are out to impress him at the moment. One thing I will say about the bloke harping on about the lack of goals, guess what pal, we all see it! However because the rest of us aren't freaking out and saying we play the wrong kind of football and making snide remarks about what the team are and aren't doing on the training ground because the reality is none of us have access to the training ground to see and the ludicrous comment that forwards at any club of any level don't practice shooting drills as well as artfully dodging a comment asking where you are on here when we win just proves that you're a troll because you never give any balance in your opinions. Do yourself a favour and find something more productive to do with your time than purposely trying to wind people up who support the same football club as you because they dare to enjoy following them.

I'm very glad that after all the years of misery following our first campaign back in league 1 that the overall negativity around the club seems to be evaporating and we finally have a manager who has built up a proper coaching staff and the club is employing the same footballing philosophies at first team level through to the youth teams and we are rewarding quality youth players with contracts as they have every chance to break into the first team and that we're looking to keep quality first team players longer term. I personally think its fantastic we have a sense of direction and purpose now regardless of the shortcomings on the pitch. I hope you all had an excellent Christmas and I'm now off to enjoy the rest of Boxing day in the pub. UTS!

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Cully wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:An attacking option.... Hemmings on for Baxendale, 63 min. Good move!!!

No idea why Baxendale has been playing for the last two months.............ineffective and weak player.......probably only made the team because of Smith's stubbornness to drop a player who he gave a three year contract to. He has been the worst player for the last four games I have watched.

Not surprised we're losing since Smith has obviously not understood Bangsections onerous but cunning team tactic that we should score one more than the opposition score. I have to say that perhaps he may have an excuse insofar as he hasn't the necessary qualifications in Applied Maths.............I am therefore willing to offer my valuable time and arrange private tuition to enable him to grasp the basic fundamentals, failing that he can borrow my lucky cap and jumper.

Baxendale often looks like one of the few players who can make something happen...he has a bit of trickery, neatness and animation, but the team is so wasteful as a whole going forward that they don't benefit enough from his input which gets stunted prematurely.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season