Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle Utd (H) League One Sat 21st Dec 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Mr4Stringz

Re: Carlisle Utd (H) League One Sat 21st Dec 3pm

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Another MOTM performance from Chambers today for me. Broke everything down superbly, played it simply and led by example.

Great ball from Downing and another finish from Sawyers that made goal scoring look easy.

Lalkovic's goal was a beauty, but he is a) frustrating as he'll and b) doing a good job these last few weeks of putting himself in the shop window for a loan to a Championship club for the 2nd half of the season. Very much doubt he'll be sticking around these parts anyway.

Always nice to see any team Kavanagh's associated with lose. Keep that finger away from your lips, you prematurely greyed spermburp.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm

[spoiler=][/spoiler]
Mr4Stringz wrote:Lalkovic's is doing a good job these last few weeks of putting himself in the shop window for a loan to a Championship club for the 2nd half of the season. Very much doubt he'll be sticking around these parts anyway.

I disagree. I think he will stay. As his celebration he came over to the part of the main stand I was in and pointed to himself and then the ground about three times before pointing to the badge. A clear sign that it is in his intentions to stay.

Loved the dancing men in the tile choice lower :lol:

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 pm

The thing that interests me is that had Baxendale scored the goal Lalkovic scored would be people be clambering to claim he was MOM? In my opinion that was the only difference between there performances. Both ran up blind alleys, both had very poor end product.

I didn't think Hewitt had a bad game, considering he hasn't had any real game time. He had one good effort and if I was him, I would be well and truly miffed with them down to 10 men and with 10 mins to go we decided to play pass the parcel across the back 4!

Chambers or Mantom for MOM for me, with Chambers just edging it. Welcome home return for Purkiss as well who had a good game and appears to be taking his chance well.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Delighted with today's team display, really set's us up for what will be critical festive period.

I thought Mantom and A. Chambers were outstanding, bossed the centre of the park from start to finish. For me the penalty decision was questionable. Seemed to me the trailing arm was struck by the ball rather than the arm blocking the ball - I may be wrong. Special praise for our Number 1. May I share an internal quote from today. 'Delighted for Richard. He deserved that. Rich works harder on his game than any keeper we've ever had on our books. He has bought into 'the project' from day one'. What 'the project' is I'm not sure.

Finally Milan. Lively performance. I like him. As I've said previously we must bare in mind his age - cut him some slack from him to time, he is our match winner. There is no question in mind that he will continue improving and become a real asset for us.

Those worrying whether he will stay or not, don't.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:The thing that interests me is that had Baxendale scored the goal Lalkovic scored would be people be clambering to claim he was MOM? In my opinion that was the only difference between there performances. Both ran up blind alleys, both had very poor end product.

I didn't think Hewitt had a bad game, considering he hasn't had any real game time. He had one good effort and if I was him, I would be well and truly miffed with them down to 10 men and with 10 mins to go we decided to play pass the parcel across the back 4!

Chambers or Mantom for MOM for me, with Chambers just edging it. Welcome home return for Purkiss as well who had a good game and appears to be taking his chance well.

See your point bus disagree.

Baxendale looks as though he's lost on the pitch at the moment, credit to the lad he works hard but he's making Alex Nicholls look like a confident character at the moment.

Not sure whether it's form, or just a general worry that he's being played out of position but he just seems so nervous, dithery and scared on the ball at the moment. Lalkovic on the other hand was a constant out ball today. He got down the side numerous times and despite giving the ball away frequently in these positions he was the only player to run at the Carlisle defence and create today.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:Delighted with today's team display, really set's us up for what will be critical festive period.

I thought Mantom and A. Chambers were outstanding, bossed the centre of the park from start to finish. For me the penalty decision was questionable. Seemed to me the trailing arm was struck by the ball rather than the arm blocking the ball - I may be wrong. Special praise for our Number 1. May I share an internal quote from today. 'Delighted for Richard. He deserved that. Rich works harder on his game than any keeper we've ever had on our books. He has bought into 'the project' from day one'. What 'the project' is I'm not sure.

Finally Milan. Lively performance. I like him. As I've said previously we must bare in mind his age - cut him some slack from him to time, he is our match winner. There is no question in mind that he will continue improving and become a real asset for us.

You are right and wrong about the penalty.

It was most definitely deliberate, and totally and utterly stupid. Could easily have cost us the game. It was however outside the area.

You are also completely correct about Chambers and Mantom, especially Chambers, total class, and so vital to our team.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Geoff was probably at that game and rang the Brentford chairman as soon as Grigg came on.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:42 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:Delighted with today's team display, really set's us up for what will be critical festive period.

It was most definitely deliberate, and totally and utterly stupid. Could easily have cost us the game. It was however outside the area.

You are also completely correct about Chambers and Mantom, especially Chambers, total class, and so vital to our team.

No it wasn't.

Mr4Stringz

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:03 pm

TheSwift wrote:[spoiler=][/spoiler]
Mr4Stringz wrote:Lalkovic's is doing a good job these last few weeks of putting himself in the shop window for a loan to a Championship club for the 2nd half of the season. Very much doubt he'll be sticking around these parts anyway.

I disagree. I think he will stay. As his celebration he came over to the part of the main stand I was in and pointed to himself and then the ground about three times before pointing to the badge. A clear sign that it is in his intentions to stay.

Yes, and Jesus lives in Walsall. It was a celebration, nothing more, nothing less.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Mr4Stringz wrote:
TheSwift wrote:[spoiler=][/spoiler]

Yes, and Jesus lives in Walsall. It was a celebration, nothing more, nothing less.

Talking of Jesus I am still waiting to see if Junior is going to take up our contract offer.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:44 am

Few points: I don't think O'Donnell has gotten enough credit for his penalty save. If they'd have gotten level I think the game would have been very different. Not only that but have to disagree with those of us claiming our performance was pleasing. We gave the ball away far too easily, particularly in dangerous areas, and we created very little until Milan scored a wonder strike form nowhere. Perhaps winning when playing poorly is the sign of a very good team but I certainly think we have room to improve further.

I'd say both teams were poor today and we just happened to be the less poor of the two. I'd hate for this to be read as a negative post because it's not; critical, yes, but negative, no.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:37 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

For me the penalty decision was questionable. Seemed to me the trailing arm was struck by the ball rather than the arm blocking the ball - I may be wrong.

I disagree here. I think it was an accident but absolutely a penalty, regardless of the fact it wasn't intentional. It was inside the area too.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 am

Decent 7 out of 10 performance against a team that I was expecting to cause us more problems than they did. We showed a different style of winning yesterday, and that has perhaps been lacking the last 18 months.

I fudge love football. That Graham Kavanagh's an utter Scunthorpe too.

Richard O'Donnell's distribution is top notch, myself and FBIG were trying to remember a keeper in our time supporting the club with better distribution than him. Any ideas?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:01 am

saddlersam wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

For me the penalty decision was questionable. Seemed to me the trailing arm was struck by the ball rather than the arm blocking the ball - I may be wrong.

I disagree here. I think it was an accident but absolutely a penalty, regardless of the fact it wasn't intentional. It was inside the area too.

Definitely a penalty. He was sliding virtually horizontally, in the area, with the ball on his chest. It looked like the ball would roll off leaving taylor out of the game with the ball in a nice position for a cross, so he brought his arm up to trap it. The skid marks from his slide were in the box.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 am

WarsawPact wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Definitely a penalty. He was sliding virtually horizontally, in the area, with the ball on his chest. It looked like the ball would roll off leaving taylor out of the game with the ball in a nice position for a cross, so he brought his arm up to trap it. The skid marks from his slide were in the box.

Yep. Deliberate and inside the box and secured the player an advantage.

Nail on pen. I had pretty much the perfect view of it from the front of the middle tier on the left hand line of the penalty area.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 am

Thought we played well, and a little more direct when it was warranted. The ball for Sawyers' goal and Hewitt's pulling down were not aimless long balls, but just good long passes. cack that we've needed.

I think O'Donnell is the best passer of a ball in goal that I've seen play for us (I know, I'm only 30)

Also have to big Purkiss up. Solid player and loves to try and join the attack.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am

King Crimson wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Nail on pen. I had pretty much the perfect view of it from the front of the middle tier on the left hand line of the penalty area.

Absolutely a penalty, just not 100% sure it was deliberate.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:41 am

saddlersam wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:[quote="Walsall_Casual"]Delighted with today's team display, really set's us up for what will be critical festive period.

Absolutely a penalty, just not 100% sure it was deliberate.[/quote]
He moved his arm to "bat" the ball away.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 am

The penalty decision was correct, I was literally a matter of 10 yards away. It wasn't deliberate, he was using his arm to balance as he slid and the ball just hit his arm about 6inches inside the area.

Thought Sawyers and Chambers had terrific games, and we missed Westcarr when he had to go off, I hope it was just precautionary.

Lalkovic's goal was a pearler

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 am

stefano123 wrote:Few points: I don't think O'Donnell has gotten enough credit for his penalty save. If they'd have gotten level I think the game would have been very different. Not only that but have to disagree with those of us claiming our performance was pleasing. We gave the ball away far too easily, particularly in dangerous areas, and we created very little until Milan scored a wonder strike form nowhere. Perhaps winning when playing poorly is the sign of a very good team but I certainly think we have room to improve further.

I'd say both teams were poor today and we just happened to be the less poor of the two. I'd hate for this to be read as a negative post because it's not; critical, yes, but negative, no.

Yep, we were poor after Westcarr went off, but like you say, if you can win while never really getting out of 2nd gear, that is a sign of a good side. Hewitt is just a workmanlike striker, hasn't got much in his locker.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:40 am

Yay! Best team in the world (when Purkiss starts - the start continues).

travelling man
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:52 am

fair play to the youth team boys who got behind the lads with a few songs in the away end

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:28 am

philthesaddler wrote:The penalty decision was correct, I was literally a matter of 10 yards away. It wasn't deliberate, he was using his arm to balance as he slid and the ball just hit his arm about 6inches inside the area.

Thought Sawyers and Chambers had terrific games, and we missed Westcarr when he had to go off, I hope it was just precautionary.

Lalkovic's goal was a pearler

No arguing with that, but I'm a bit worried we'll have to put up with 30 yard shots hitting the corner flag type moments in the next few games as a consequence of this.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:32 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Thought we played well, and a little more direct when it was warranted. The ball for Sawyers' goal and Hewitt's pulling down were not aimless long balls, but just good long passes. eartha that we've needed.

I think O'Donnell is the best passer of a ball in goal that I've seen play for us (I know, I'm only 30)

Also have to big Purkiss up. Solid player and loves to try and join the attack.

Yes. I like O'Donnell too. Hope he's our number 1 for a while.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 am

Atmosphere seemed a lot better yesterday 1st half. You could even hear the Walsall fans singing from by the halfway line, something which I've not heard this season.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:41 pm

a bit of a neither here nor there performance, but 2 great finishes. 1st time in over a month that we've scored more than 1. i like o'donnel, but i'd play 11 outfielders now we have a force field around our goal. just needs a tractor beam up the other end.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 pm

I thought the game was average overall, but really happy for another win, and the next two fixtures I am hoping for 4 points, chambers was my motm broke absolutely everything up never stops running an always keeps good retention of the ball, brilliant goal from Milan, think o'donnell in time will be very good, just worries me a bit still with his handling but shot stopping and distribution excellent, I might be being thick here or a keen gardener might know, why do we water the pitch even whn we have had a fair amount of rain on it during the week? Overall glad to see us churning out results even when we ain't particularly on fire

OWEN1955

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:29 am

[quote="Walsall_Casual"]Delighted with today's team display, really set's us up for what will be critical festive period.

Think the project was we will give you the means to play your football week in and week out, all you have to do is commit yourself to what we are trying to achieve and he is certainly doing that.

iI personally think that he is getting better week by week , still needs a little bit of work on crosses but he will soon be the complete package and still only young at 25 so has a good career in front of him ( hopefully with us).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:05 am

Big Dave wfc wrote:I thought the game was average overall, but really happy for another win, and the next two fixtures I am hoping for 4 points, chambers was my motm broke absolutely everything up never stops running an always keeps good retention of the ball, brilliant goal from Milan, think o'donnell in time will be very good, just worries me a bit still with his handling but shot stopping and distribution excellent, I might be being thick here or a keen gardener might know, why do we water the pitch even whn we have had a fair amount of rain on it during the week?

To create a slick surface for the ball to glide along, to suit our passing game.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Thought we played well, and a little more direct when it was warranted. The ball for Sawyers' goal and Hewitt's pulling down were not aimless long balls, but just good long passes. cack that we've needed. .

We said the same at the game. Was nice seeing the play varied up a bit.

Watched Downing's pass for the goal again afterwards and it was a peach - he's going to be a cracking player as time goes on.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season