Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:31 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Has APPLIED MATHEMATICS got to be in capitals?

It is a FACT, I believe, but as yowm the Taycha, feel free to correct the assertion.

Not my theory, As long as it's not mixed, I'm good.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:
Cully wrote:
Good theory, run that by me again....... but let us for example use say the game against Leyton Orient where we scored nil and they scored one.

It still applies. The theory simply shows Smith and the players how many goals they should have scored to win - even when they lose or draw. So if they lose by one that means they should have scored two. Lose by two and they should have scored three and so forth. I have sent a 40-page dossier to Dean Smith explaining this but haven't heard anything back yet. Mind you, following today's result it would appear that he has almost certainly read it. Never mind your lucky cap, I'll stick to APPLIED MATHEMATICS when I want to change my team's fortunes thank you very much.

I am fully four square behind you on this Bangy. Last season, I believed in Cully' s lucky jumper, which in the end proved to be nothing but a fraud. Even sj bought into it. Oh how stupid we all looked at the end of the season when we failed to make the play offs.

No such problem this season with your APPLIED MATHEMATICS approach. Automatic promotion beckons.

As for Cully's latest hokum - lucky cap, shmucky pap.

Mock ye not, my cap is off and resting with a win, I already have an 'A' levels in both APPLIED and PURE Mathematics and now armed with a seemingly introuvable formula there can only be one result for the rest of the season.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Cully wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I can see now why all the moaners were saying we should have signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan like Shrewsbury. If Shrewsbury can sign such prolific forwards who take all the gilt-edged chances that come their way, WHY CAN'T WE?? Smith out, Westcarr out, etc.

Who are these moaners that said we should have ' signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan'................. I think you're making it up aren't you? Not sure what's the point of that though :?

Do keep up viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43717&p=1053573#p1053573

Not sure why you're going in for all that superstitious lucky cap nonsense. Bangsection has presented you with reason and science as the paths to enlightenment and success and yet you are clinging on to your weird cultish fantasies.
Last edited by Registered Saddler on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Their fans are crap.

Some things never change

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 pm

edit: double post
Last edited by Registered Saddler on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Just so people don't get too overly concerned, Eaves' horror miss in the second half was offside anyway.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:you are clinging on to your weird cultish fantasies.

You need to learn how to spell :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I can see now why all the moaners were saying we should have signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan like Shrewsbury. If Shrewsbury can sign such prolific forwards who take all the gilt-edged chances that come their way, WHY CAN'T WE?? Smith out, Westcarr out, etc.

Who are these moaners that said we should have ' signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan'................. I think you're making it up aren't you? Not sure what's the point of that though :?

Do keep up http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1053573

Not sure why you're going in for all that superstitious lucky cap nonsense. Bangsection has presented you with reason and science as the paths to enlightenment and success and yet you are clinging on to your weird cultish fantasies.

Apologies Reggy, I should take the trouble to read all the threads. :oops:

Cultish fantasies......... at least my cap is real, the evidence is on my head :D

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Ratings:
O'Donnell- 7. Had a generally tidy game. Dropped the ball a couple of times from crosses (again). However, he managed to simply pick the ball out from the Shrewsbury striker's feet in a one on one. Credit where its due.
Purkiss-7. Started off losing the ball too many times but grew into the game as it went on. Solid.
Butler-9. What a rock. He just kept heading and heading it away time after time.
Downing-8. Solid, general game from Paul.
Taylor-7. Played well but made a few mistakes. Knows how to win a foul though!
Chambers-9. Kept sweeping up and made some great tackles and passes. A contender for MOTM.
Mantom-8. Good game from Sam. So glad he is on an extended contract.
Baxendale-4. Sorry to be negative but he only won the ball twice from memory. He is too weak and played quite a few stupid passes. A bit of work in the gym is needed...
Lalkovic-4. I would have given him a 2 had it not been for the goal. Puts no effort in and plays lots of stupid passes. Always takes on too many men and loses the ball. At points in the game, players stopped passing to him as we wanted to keep posession. Replace him with Hemmings Deano!
Sawyers-8. Tidy game from Romaine. Made some nice runs and some great passes.
Westcarr-9. Thought he was cracking today. Put in loads of effort and I really think he is a influential part of the team. Shame the linesman was flag happy. Most of his offsides didn't seem to be right. Haters gonna hate but he was my MOTM.

Subs:
Hemmings-7. Didn't do much but made some decent runs.

First 60 mins we were great. After the sloppies made their subs, we petered out. Some great defending near the end though.

Eeyore :lol:

Onwards and Upwards! Uts!

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Just so people don't get too overly concerned, Eaves' horror miss in the second half was offside anyway.

It was a bad miss. But how was it offside? It was headed back to him from the goal line. Unless Taylor was offside when he headed it back? I'm certainly not saying we should have signed him, but Butler and Downing made him look worse than he actually is by standing up to his physical intimidation. After that, he just lost confidence. I think he might show the value of our centre halves in his next few loan games.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:26 pm

For someone with an A Level in APPLIED MATHEMATICS you seem to be having a hard time understanding a very simple premise, Cully. I am not saying that my formula can CHANGE the results, post facto. That would be silly.

I am simply arguing that, following a defeat, it can offer the management team a framework in which to rectify the situation. Today they followed that plan to the letter and we can all see the results.

Readers of UTS may be interested to know that I am launching an edited version of the extensive dossier that I prepare for Dean Smith and the team, on a subscription basis.

At £6.99 per month it is comparable to Saddlers Player, although it will obviously offer a superior level of insight.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

the real victory is in scoring the first goal

it doesn't matter if we lose concede more goals than the opposition after that...even if we lose 1-7

Football is about scoring the first goal, all the other teams are in delusion concerning their understanding of trying to score more goals.

The Walsall players can walk off the pitch as soon as they have scored that first goal.....they can just shout to the opposition "It doesn't matter how many you score now, you can't score the first one....we did."

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:34 pm

sallian wrote:the real victory is in scoring the first goal

it doesn't matter if we lose concede more goals than the opposition after that...even if we lose 1-7

Football is about scoring the first goal, all the other teams are in delusion concerning their understanding of trying to score more goals.

The Walsall players can walk off the pitch as soon as they have scored that first goal.....they can just shout to the opposition "It doesn't matter how many you score now, you can't score the first one....we did."

If scoring the first goal isn't important in determining the outcome of a football match, feel free to make zillions of pounds on the betting exchanges.

Alternatively stop boring us with your 6th form sarcasm

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Good luck charging £6.99 a month for that!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Agree with the Latviancheese.

Westcarr was bostin, if he had a proper number 9 to play with we'd be top six.

Baxo was bad.

Turner made two subs as soon as we scored and they did enough to nearly save the game for them (Smith please note - you can make two subs before the 80th minute when chasing a game).

But I felt overall we deserved to shade it. If we aren't allowed to agree with Smith that we may have been a tad unlucky in previous weeks then let's not say today was lucky.

Good, noisy following, man to man marked by police. Mine was called John.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:50 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Just so people don't get too overly concerned, Eaves' horror miss in the second half was offside anyway.

It was a bad miss. But how was it offside? It was headed back to him from the goal line. Unless Taylor was offside when he headed it back? I'm certainly not saying we should have signed him, but Butler and Downing made him look worse than he actually is by standing up to his physical intimidation. After that, he just lost confidence. I think he might show the value of our centre halves in his next few loan games.

I'm not saying I thought it was offside, the lino had his flag up. :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Even today after scoring the first goal, why stay on the pitch?

What were they waiting for? Were they waiting for the opposition to score more goals...in order to legitimise this idiocy of scoring more goals than the opponent?

Manchester City are one of the most idiotic teams in the history of football....look how many goals they have scored in the Premier league...47 in 16 games...they are clueless...what a waste of money and effort. But if you want to know where their footballing naivety comes from....look no further than the manager...Man. City manager Pellegrini spoke after his 6 - 3 win after Arsenal, he was asked, "How many goals are enough goals?" He replied "Never enough goals...we always try to score more goals....we are always trying to score goals." What an imbecile, has he never heard of passing the ball around without the need to create chances? I think he might be mentally ill. But then again he probably doesn't have any sophisticated and intelligent supporters or staff around him like some of our supporters and manager who understand these issues.

His philosophy of trying to maximize goalscoring is so despicable and ugly it should be banned from the English game...and even the global game.

What is the point of the rest of the football pitch if the only aim is scoring goals? No wonder the grass in the penalty area gets worn out quickly.

Supporters contribute to this decline in football though...they continue cheering their team when they score a second, third, fourth goal...they encourage the rot....with their ignorant appreciation of goalscoring.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:56 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:

I'm not saying I thought it was offside, the lino had his flag up. :lol:

Touché, Monsieur. Day see that. So it would have been disallowed anyway? From the original break on the right, or later?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:

If scoring the first goal isn't important in determining the outcome of a football match, feel free to make zillions of pounds on the betting exchanges.

You are the only type of supporter who benefits Walsall and football as a whole. You understand about the first goal and are not thrown off track by calls for maximize goalscoring....If there weren't supporters like you who understand this issue....I would not be able to stomach standing in a football stadium.

You are only one cell though, you need to recognize your own worth and spread your knowledge of this issue further until anyone demanding more chance creation, more shooting, more goals...is immediately aware of the eyes of wisdom falling upon him with disgust and disdain. In this way we will get rid of this goalscoring venom for good...its a cancer that can ruin Walsall and football. If people are too ashamed to talk rubbish about goalscoring...they will be relegated to the deviant cults of footballing history.
Last edited by sallian on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:06 pm

sallian wrote:Even today after scoring the first goal, why stay on the pitch?

Even today after winning the game, why be happy about it?
Sometimes, Manchester City don't score the first goal, even though they always try to score lots of goals.
Sometimes, they lose to poorer teams, even though they always try to score lots of goals.
Interesting game this football, ay it?
:wink:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm

The word "troll" , as used on the internet, apparently has nothing to do with nasty little creatures living under bridges- much as that seems right. Apparently. it's an old form of "trawl"-dragging bait behind a ship in the hope that something bites. Can't think why I needed to say this now.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:15 pm

traymondo wrote:
sallian wrote:Even today after scoring the first goal, why stay on the pitch?

Even today after winning the game, why be happy about it?
Sometimes, Manchester City don't score the first goal, even though they always try to score lots of goals.
Sometimes, they lose to poorer teams, even though they always try to score lots of goals.
Interesting game this football, ay it?
:wink:

They are only happy about it due to their ignorance and the misguiding influence of their deluded manager.

If they understood what some of our more intelligent supporters understand...then they would wish they had never even participated in such games and would feel ashamed and humilaited about their past vile joys.

I like it when a non-football man is in a room and he excitedly opens his mouth about goalscoring and two knowledgeable supporters wink at each other and have a wry smile, knowing he is clueless about the first goal...and passing without chance creation. But these are pleasures and nuances of football experience only enjoyed by the elite. But not everyone has the time to read such subtle wisdom on a Walsall supporers forum, many other clubs don't even have one supporter who knows these things. Conversing with those sort of supporters must be like tring to communicate with a deaf, dumb and blind infant.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Being as it's close to the end of the year, can I vote for this as the best Comedy Thread of the Year for 2013?
It's an absolute comedy gem with hilarious posts by the bucketload.
Match threads used to be dry old things but now they're as funny as a Karl Pilkington show.
I've had to check the result a couple of times to reassure myself that yes, we did actually win.
I've been wrestling with this and I'm sure the anti-tippy-tappy crew are some form of mutated stayaway.

sallian wrote:This, as seeing as there seems to be no efforts to bring anyone else in.

Do you have access to Smith's phone records?
Maybe you bought up the phone bugging equipment from the News of the World firesale?
Last edited by Whitters on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:17 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:The word "troll" , as used on the internet, apparently has nothing to do with nasty little creatures living under bridges- much as that seems right. Apparently. it's an old form of "trawl"-dragging bait behind a ship in the hope that something bites. Can't think why I needed to say this now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Highly appropriate.....perhaps it would help if no-one rose to the bait :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:19 pm

bangsection wrote:For someone with an A Level in APPLIED MATHEMATICS you seem to be having a hard time understanding a very simple premise, Cully. I am not saying that my formula can CHANGE the results, post facto. That would be silly.

I am simply arguing that, following a defeat, it can offer the management team a framework in which to rectify the situation. Today they followed that plan to the letter and we can all see the results.

Readers of UTS may be interested to know that I am launching an edited version of the extensive dossier that I prepare for Dean Smith and the team, on a subscription basis.

At £6.99 per month it is comparable to Saddlers Player, although it will obviously offer a superior level of insight.

You've lost me now, is there any chance of perhaps posting an extract from your dossier to go alongside your bonk busting formula?

ps I'm just off to the loft to rip up my certificate and sent it back to the Joint Matriculation Board - bloody teachers, 2 years sixth form wasted and what for? I should have concentrated on Greek Mythology and Metalwork. I could have made a fortune manufacturing bog handles and living on an island in the med :(

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:20 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

You are the only type of supporter who benefits Walsall and football as a whole. You understand about the first goal and are not thrown off track by calls for maximize goalscoring....If there weren't supporters like you who understand this issue....I would not be able to stomach standing in a football stadium.

You are only one cell though, you need to recognize your own worth and spread your knowledge of this issue further until anyone demanding more chance creation, more shooting, more goals...is immediately aware of the eyes of wisdom falling upon him with disgust and disdain. In this way we will get rid of this goalscoring venom for good...its a cancer that can ruin Walsall and football. If people are too ashamed to talk rubbish about goalscoring...they will be relegated to the deviant cults of footballing history.

I picked you up for your 6th form sarcasm, and you come back with… 6th form sarcasm.

I doff my cap to you sir.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Another three points and a clean sheet - 1-0 is always a very satisfying away win.

1,126 Saddlers in a crowd of 6,015.

9th in the league and Carlisle up next.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 pm

fudge Sloppy Welsh bastards... take that. Put in your places.

(Sorry but this thread was far too cerebral for a derby match thread). :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Cully wrote:
Cully wrote:

Do keep up viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43717&p=1053573#p1053573

Cultish fantasies......... at least my cap is real, the evidence is on my head :D

Typical religionismist, cannot argue the point. I didn't doubt the existence of the cap, only the existence of its supposed powers.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Cully wrote:
Cully wrote:

Do keep up http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1053573

Typical religionismist, cannot argue the point. I didn't doubt the existence of the cap, only the existence of its supposed powers.

As Cully obviously has 2 heads, I would say there are 2 caps.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season