Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Good 3 points but the usual suspects using it as justification for us not needing a striker, whereas if you were at the game you'd see how obvious it is

Can you point me in the direction of these posts :?

Whingers are completely missing the point as normal. The point being (to spell it out for the hard of thinking) that of course if would be great to have a new striker if they were better than we have already. Shrewsbury - a team with a similar (or slightly bigger) budget than us - have been trying to find a striker all season. They've signed several, none of whom have been better than Westcarr. They had two loanees up front today; one was awful, the other missed a sitter. Give me Westcarr over that any day. If we can get a great new striker, fantastic. If we can't, then we should appreciate that what we've got, on our budget, is already pretty good.

How much money did Shrewsbury receive in transfer income during the summer? As far as I know - £0

How much money did Walsall receive in transfer income during the summer? Between £1m and £1.5m

So it's a fair assumption to make that we have a little more money rolling around to invest in a goalscorer than Shrewsbury do, therefore its a totally unfair and unrealistic assertion to make that WFC would be looking at strikers of a similar ilk to Eaves - who was, as someone else has said, one of the worst strikers I've ever seen. So where's the money gone? Unless WFC have a massive overhead that has hampered the club for 23 years. Oh, wait.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 pm

I think it's fair to say that I enjoyed that :D

I was a bit worried a half-time , as I thought, with the problems the wind could cause, that we could and should have sewn it up by then. there were times in the first half when Sawyers and Westcarr were cutting through them at will. But they got the goal and then looked fairly solid.

I thought nearly everyone had a decent game. I assume Sawyers got MOM-he was also good defensively in the second half. But a special mention to Purkiss. I can't remember him making a mistake, and I don't know how he kept that near own-goal out.

Baxendale was poor. He was largely anonymous and most of his crosses went straight to the keeper. Most worrying, he twice gave the ball away needlessly in the last 10 minutes when all we needed to do was keep possession.

re their number 24 up front. Was listening to the commentary on Shropshire. They had him as their great hope, but even in the first half ,were saying he kept losing interest. I think he might be better than that. His problem was that Butler and Downing marshalled him so well. Downing in particular matched him for physical strength. Fair play to the ref. He realised that holding your ground when an attacker is going straight into you does not constitute a foul.
Last edited by shrewsbury saddler on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Just got back in.

First half was very similar to last season's game at the Very Gay Meadow, with the lack of clinical finishing proving our downfall.

In the second half we stepped it up a gear and got a very well taken goal from Milan. Superb.

Westcarr and Sawyers were caught offside about 30 times between them.

Shrewsbury are woeful and have to be relegated. Tom Eaves (Number 24) is possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.

Their fans are crap.

WE NEED TO SIGN A STRIKER.

Obviously you know nothing at all about football, why do we need a striker for...we won? Don't try and fix what isn't broken....

It doesn't matter about 30 offsides, they are good enough because we won.

So what about missed chances? We got the first goal, and that's the main thing.

Even you calling Milan's goal 'superb' is making me think you really want Walsall to fail....if they get more encouraged to create more chances and shoot more....they might score more goals and ruin the whole style of play. If someone can't see this then I don't know why they watch football.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:56 pm

sallian wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:Just got back in.

First half was very similar to last season's game at the Very Gay Meadow, with the lack of clinical finishing proving our downfall.

In the second half we stepped it up a gear and got a very well taken goal from Milan. Superb.

Westcarr and Sawyers were caught offside about 30 times between them.

Shrewsbury are woeful and have to be relegated. Tom Eaves (Number 24) is possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.

Their fans are crap.

WE NEED TO SIGN A STRIKER.

Obviously you know nothing at all about football, why do we need a striker for...we won? Don't try and fix what isn't broken....

Even you calling Milan's goal 'superb' is making me think you really want Walsall to fail....if they get more encouraged to create more chances and shoot more....they might score more goals and ruin the whole style of play. If someone can't see this then I don't know why they watch football.

How many pints have you had?

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:57 pm

sallian wrote:Obviously you know nothing at all about football, why do we need a striker for...we won? Don't try and fix what isn't broken....

Now you're getting it. :idea:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Thought it was quite a good game to watch to be honest, always one goal wins, vert tight game, had more of a derby feel to it second half. We probably just about deserved the three points.

First half we had lots of the ball but no final ball, or ahem, someone taking a shot...

One bit of a skill by Lalkovic, a goal line header, some top defending and an abysmal Tom Eaves won us the game. EEEEYOREE, haven't heard that chant for years. Loved it.

Westcarr was immense today, what an engine. Lazy? If you think that you need to take up knitting. MOTM by a mile, along with the back four.

Only disappointment today was Baxendale, again. :(

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:So where's the money gone? Unless WFC have a massive overhead that has hampered the club for 23 years. Oh, wait.

Ah, the familiar refrain of the perennially downbeat. We don't know how much we got for Paterson or indeed how much of it was up front. We've received £325,000 for Will Grigg so far. The club has already said that money will be invested in the infrastructure and not just the playing side; this could be paying off some of the £2.7m of debt we still carry from OVERSPENDING on the football budget in the past. The evidence of the investment in the football budget this year is obvious - we are carrying a much bigger professional squad than normal, and we have already allocated some of the transfer fee revenue into future years' budgets by signing the likes of Mantom, Baxendale and Downing on longer contracts. In previous years we have had a very similar wage budget to Shrewsbury; ours may be a little higher this season but that wiggle room will mainly have been used as above. We probably have some remaining to spend in January if the right player becomes available. The right player is not Tom Eaves. Isn't it funny how he is EXACTLY the player that some had cited as being who we should have signed when he went to Shrewsbury :roll:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:Thought it was quite a good game to watch to be honest, always one goal wins, vert tight game, had more of a derby feel to it second half. We probably just about deserved the three points.

First half we had lots of the ball but no final ball, or ahem, someone taking a shot...

One bit of a skill by Lalkovic, a goal line header, some top defending and an abysmal Tom Eaves won us the game. EEEEYOREE, haven't heard that chant for years. Loved it.

Westcarr was immense today, what an engine. Lazy? If you think that you need to take up knitting. MOTM by a mile, along with the back four.

Radio Shropshire's commentators thought we deserved the win. They loved Sawyers. They had him on loan during their promotion season , and thought he'd improved a lot. They thought he was a class above anyone else on the pitch. The simplest answer to our lack of goals/need a striker argument is for him and Westcarr to up their finishing. I think both are capable of doing that. Only a marginal improvement from both would make a massive difference.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Pretty lucky to have won today and I thought both teams had good chances to score, in particular Shrewsbury who had two golden chances in the game, the second one, in the second half was the worst miss I have seen in many years.
We started off very shaky in defence and presented Shrewsbury with 3 opportunities in as many minutes with a rather stationary back four either caught out by the quick speed and passing or outmuscled. O'Donnelll contrived to lose the ball a couple of times in the first 15 minutes, creating panic in our defence, and our tactic for the first half was, a mixture of playing the ball into space just over the heads of their back four for either Westcarr or Sawyers to run on to, but mainly resulting in numerous off sides or the near certainty of one of their defenders outpacing either of them and clearing the ball or just tapping it back to the goalkeeper and good patient build up creating a few chances. Having said that Westcarr was playing well when he got the ball, good control and creative distribution but we desperately need a striker to take advantage of his clever play. Lalkovic meanwhile was playing too deep and wide to be effective and the weak Sawyers constantly got either knocked off the ball or was beaten by their defenders.
We did create a few good openings, a Westcarr shot well saved by their goalkeeper and two excellent crosses into the box, one from Westcarr and the other from Mantom which begged out to be smashed home by our new striker.
Second half started out quite positively, we had a lot of possession and an excellent bit of skill resulted in Lalkovic scoring what was to be our winning goal. There on it could have gone either way as Shrewsbury came more into the game and only a brilliant goal line clearance from Manton and THAT miss from the petulant Eaves saved us from either drawing or losing the game.

My man of the match was Westcarr, always creative, always wanting the ball - I just wish he had a striker to play alongside him.

Not sure why we have to have a flood of tears every time anyone has the temerity to suggest that a] we aren't Barcelona b] Smith is not the 'chosen one' or c] we LACK a striker. There are at least 4 posters already who must have been praying dressed in their lucky brown underpants for................ 1] a Walsall win to PROVE that Smith has everything right, 2] Westcarr to score to PROVE we don't need a striker and 3] Come up with some nonsense that our players are so superior that their skill and passing game cannot be faulted and it is only a matter of time before every other cheating, hoof it or 'just there for the taking' teams lay down in front of us for us to win every game.

Plenty of idiots around me today who thought that we were so superior to Shrewsbury we should have won by a hatful, the linesman and referee were cheats and that all the excellent opportunities that Shrewsbury created or had been presented to them by poor play from us.

Good away win, very pleasing and my new lucky cap appears to have turned the tide. I shall wear it at the Carlisle game to ensure three points.............all hail my lucky cap!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:The simplest answer to our lack of goals/need a striker argument is for him and Westcarr to up their finishing. I think both are capable of doing that. Only a marginal improvement from both would make a massive difference.

That's fine in theory. But even if Westcarr and Sawyers both score a goal that is only two goals. Which means the opposition only have to score three goals to win the game. We only need to look at the first game played in England today to see the problem with this strategy. Arsenal scored three goals but still lost because Manchester City scored six goals.

QED.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Cully wrote:Pretty lucky to have won today and I thought both teams had good chances to score, in particular Shrewsbury who had two golden chances in the game, the second one, in the second half was the worst miss I have seen in many years.
We started off very shaky in defence and presented Shrewsbury with 3 opportunities in as many minutes with a rather stationary back four either caught out by the quick speed and passing or outmuscled. O'Donnelll contrived to lose the ball a couple of times in the first 15 minutes, creating panic in our defence, and our tactic for the first half was, a mixture of playing the ball into space just over the heads of their back four for either Westcarr or Sawyers to run on to, but mainly resulting in numerous off sides or the near certainty of one of their defenders outpacing either of them and clearing the ball or just tapping it back to the goalkeeper and good patient build up creating a few chances. Having said that Westcarr was playing well when he got the ball, good control and creative distribution but we desperately need a striker to take advantage of his clever play. Lalkovic meanwhile was playing too deep and wide to be effective and the weak Sawyers constantly got either knocked off the ball or was beaten by their defenders.
We did create a few good openings, a Westcarr shot well saved by their goalkeeper and two excellent crosses into the box, one from Westcarr and the other from Mantom which begged out to be smashed home by our new striker.
Second half started out quite positively, we had a lot of possession and an excellent bit of skill resulted in Lalkovic scoring what was to be our winning goal. There on it could have gone either way as Shrewsbury came more into the game and only a brilliant goal line clearance from Manton and THAT miss from the petulant Eaves saved us from either drawing or losing the game.

My man of the match was Westcarr, always creative, always wanting the ball - I just wish he had a striker to play alongside him.

Not sure why we have to have a flood of tears every time anyone has the temerity to suggest that a] we aren't Barcelona b] Smith is not the 'chosen one' or c] we LACK a striker. There are at least 4 posters already who must have been praying dressed in their lucky brown underpants for................ 1] a Walsall win to PROVE that Smith has everything right, 2] Westcarr to score to PROVE we don't need a striker and 3] Come up with some nonsense that our players are so superior that their skill and passing game cannot be faulted and it is only a matter of time before every other cheating, hoof it or 'just there for the taking' teams lay down in front of us for us to win every game.

Plenty of idiots around me today who thought that we were so superior to Shrewsbury we should have won by a hatful, the linesman and referee were cheats and that all the excellent opportunities that Shrewsbury created or had been presented to them by poor play from us.

Good away win, very pleasing and my new lucky cap appears to have turned the tide. I shall wear it at the Carlisle game to ensure three points.............all hail my lucky cap!

At the risk of being boring, I'll refer to Radio Shropshire again.For the early chance when O'Donnell came out and saved , they said that Eaves "was at least three or four yards offside." (He was the one who took the original through ball.)

I don't think Shrewsbury were as bad as some are making out. They looked lower mid-table to me-not relegation. I'm not sure I was at the same game as some of the posters on here.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:35 pm

I didn't think there was a great deal between the two sides either. I would have taken a draw on the chin as a fair result, they had a period in the second half where we couldnt pass water and they were throwing it into the box. Thats football, and serves you right when Graham Turner is your manager.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:39 pm

bangsection wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:The simplest answer to our lack of goals/need a striker argument is for him and Westcarr to up their finishing. I think both are capable of doing that. Only a marginal improvement from both would make a massive difference.

That's fine in theory. But even if Westcarr and Sawyers both score a goal that is only two goals. Which means the opposition only have to score three goals to win the game. We only need to look at the first game played in England today to see the problem with this strategy. Arsenal scored three goals but still lost because Manchester City scored six goals.

QED.

An interesting proposition but how many goals do we need to score if we score none and the opposition scores only one? I'm not sure your tactical genius and helpful theory will be enough to ensure a massive three points for the Super Saddlers.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh, and while I'm on, who thought that giving that mini troll - Baxendale, a three year contract was a good idea. It's not, he's too light weight and for all his 'dead ball genius', Westcarr's corner taking was far more accurate and into dangerous positions.

He'd make a good five a side player for my works team :idea:

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Cully wrote:
An interesting proposition but how many goals do we need to score if we score none and the opposition scores only one?

The answer is two. After some thought I have distilled this into a formula:

Where the opposition's total goals = x we need to score x+1 to win the game.

Why Dean Smith (and some of our fans) can't see this is beyond me.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I can see now why all the moaners were saying we should have signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan like Shrewsbury. If Shrewsbury can sign such prolific forwards who take all the gilt-edged chances that come their way, WHY CAN'T WE?? Smith out, Westcarr out, etc.

Who are these moaners that said we should have ' signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan'................. I think you're making it up aren't you? Not sure what's the point of that though :?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Cully wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I can see now why all the moaners were saying we should have signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan like Shrewsbury. If Shrewsbury can sign such prolific forwards who take all the gilt-edged chances that come their way, WHY CAN'T WE?? Smith out, Westcarr out, etc.

Who are these moaners that said we should have ' signed Reach, Ugwu and Eaves on loan'................. I think you're making it up aren't you? Not sure what's the point of that though :?

You make up the whining and wailing from some, so what's good for the goose and all that...

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:Thought it was quite a good game to watch to be honest, always one goal wins, vert tight game, had more of a derby feel to it second half. We probably just about deserved the three points.

Exactly as I saw it. Westcarr was immense first half. People saying he was never in there to get the final ball, I think you should look at our midfield. Three or four times it was Westy who was pulling the ball back into dangerous areas, for no midfield player to get on the end of it.

Calls for Milan to be played up top, purely because he's quick are a joke. Usain Bolt's quick, does that mean he'd be the answer to our prayers? He's an out and out winger. Yes, he's showed signs in front of goal that he's got composure. He took his goal well today, likewise against Peterborough. He's also showed signs of being wild in front of goal too. He thrives on the ball in behind when he plays centrally, which doesn't suit us.

Purkiss was outstanding today, one crucial block in the first half when he was 1v2 was marvellous

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:56 pm

Cully wrote:
bangsection wrote:

QED.

An interesting proposition but how many goals do we need to score if we score none and the opposition scores only one? I'm not sure your tactical genius and helpful theory will be enough to ensure a massive three points for the Super Saddlers.

Don't rule out the influence of the wind on this match. At points in the 2nd half, it was nearly blowing the corner flags at our half horizontal.

Walsall play the sort of football where an early goal is massive. If they can get it, it means that the opposition have to push forward and we can do what we do so well at this level- push the ball around and capitalise on any gaps. That's why I'd be loathe to change the basic formation. If ,as I say, the likes of Sawyers and Westcarr could be just a bit more clinical in the first 30 minutes, the balance of the game would change. We'll see. But if we change the structure to accommodate a new striker, would the chances still come? Sawyers and Westcarr seem to have an almost telepathic understanding at times and my instinct would still be to work on that.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Westcarr was bostin, as was Lalkovic and Mantom. I'd like to see some of our offsides, though, as some were given against players who started behind their markers when the ball was played.

Shrewsbury were better than last time as they seems to have attacking intent. Their strikers were woeful, though. That miss was easily the worst miss I've seen live. If you weren't there or stuck in the pub, watch it.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Good result.

Not in a good mood though, I phoned up our ticket office on Wednesday, they asked if I could pick it up, which I couldn't because I live 145 miles away, so had to get it posted. It still hasn't arrived. :(

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 pm

bangsection wrote:
Cully wrote:
An interesting proposition but how many goals do we need to score if we score none and the opposition scores only one?

The answer is two. After some thought I have distilled this into a formula:

Where the opposition's total goals = x we need to score x+1 to win the game.

Why Dean Smith (and some of our fans) can't see this is beyond me.

Good theory, run that by me again....... but let us for example use say the game against Leyton Orient where we scored nil and they scored one. I applied the formula, does that mean we won 2 -1 ?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Cully wrote:
Good theory, run that by me again....... but let us for example use say the game against Leyton Orient where we scored nil and they scored one.

It still applies. The theory simply shows Smith and the players how many goals they should have scored to win - even when they lose or draw. So if they lose by one that means they should have scored two. Lose by two and they should have scored three and so forth. I have sent a 40-page dossier to Dean Smith explaining this but haven't heard anything back yet. Mind you, following today's result it would appear that he has almost certainly read it. Never mind your lucky cap, I'll stick to APPLIED MATHEMATICS when I want to change my team's fortunes thank you very much.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Cully wrote:

You make up the whining and wailing from some, so what's good for the goose and all that...

:D

You took your time. I expect you were still drying your eyes that Westcarr didn't score at the end of a 34 passing movement but I am still grateful for your earth shattering controversial advice that 'we should only sign players who are better than the ones we have at the moment'. Whilst this may be lost on the rest of the board I will treasure the moment until my new cap runs out of luck.

Here's a PERIOD :arrow: in your honour

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:15 pm

bangsection wrote:
Cully wrote:
Good theory, run that by me again....... but let us for example use say the game against Leyton Orient where we scored nil and they scored one.

It still applies. The theory simply shows Smith and the players how many goals they should have scored to win - even when they lose or draw. So if they lose by one that means they should have scored two. Lose by two and they should have scored three and so forth. I have sent a 40-page dossier to Dean Smith explaining this but haven't heard anything back yet. Mind you, following today's result it would appear that he has almost certainly read it. Never mind your lucky cap, I'll stick to APPLIED MATHEMATICS when I want to change my team's fortunes thank you very much.

This is easy, who have we got in the 3rd round?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Cully, I'm just honoured you said something stupid yourself, rather than send your boy to say something stupid. I've got the attention of the organ grinder.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:23 pm

bangsection wrote:
Cully wrote:

I am fully four square behind you on this Bangy. Last season, I believed in Cully' s lucky jumper, which in the end proved to be nothing but a fraud. Even sj bought into it. Oh how stupid we all looked at the end of the season when we failed to make the play offs.

No such problem this season with your APPLIED MATHEMATICS approach. Automatic promotion beckons.

As for Cully's latest hokum - lucky cap, shmucky pap.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Has APPLIED MATHEMATICS got to be in capitals?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Cully, I'm just honoured you said something stupid yourself, rather than send your boy to say something stupid. I've got the attention of the organ grinder.

Plenty more boys for you to look up to, I've got four you know :D

Consider yourself adopted and that will make five, the more the merrier and you already have a god damned handsome beard.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Has APPLIED MATHEMATICS got to be in capitals?

It is a FACT, I believe, but as yowm the Taycha, feel free to correct the assertion.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season