Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Shrewsbury Town (A) League One Sat 14th Dec, k/o 1pm

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Whitters wrote:Being as it's close to the end of the year, can I vote for this as the best Comedy Thread of the Year for 2013?
It's an absolute comedy gem with hilarious posts by the bucketload.
Match threads used to be dry old things but now they're as funny as a Karl Pilkington show.
I've had to check the result a couple of times to reassure myself that yes, we did actually win.
I've been wrestling with this and I'm sure the anti-tippy-tappy crew are some form of mutated stayaway.

sallian wrote:This, as seeing as there seems to be no efforts to bring anyone else in.

Do you have access to Smith's phone records?
Maybe you bought up the phone bugging equipment from the News of the World firesale?[/quo

note the word "...seems..." and its meaning.

couple that up with Dean's own statements, plus the existing reality......and you have some sort of justification even if not a decisive proof.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:46 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:I picked you up for your 6th form sarcasm, and you come back with… 6th form sarcasm.
I doff my cap to you sir.

well I thought I'd try post-grad sarcasm but I remembered I didn't graduate, so I reverted to type....and after scoring one goal against you, I thought any increase would in fact be a loss.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Another three points and a clean sheet - 1-0 is always a very satisfying away win.

Indeed, more satisfying than a 5-0 away win, which would be utterly boring in comparison...and despite the common knowledge that a larger score demontrates greater success and footballing dominance over the opposition....it only proves such a highscoring team doesn't understand how real success is measured.

And much for satisfying than 3-1 away 'win' (.... :wink: for insiders who understand football on a deeper level than the commoners) where we go a goal down and hit back with three goals....as having lost the first goal, it would in reality be a loss despite the score alluding to a victory.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:15 pm

Salian - when you can't win 5-0, 1-0 will do :wink: :lol: .

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:19 pm

I absolutely jinxed Tom Eaves by saying we should sign him a few weeks ago, I still feel sorry for him. I hope Graham Turner gave him a cuddle after.

Exactly the kind of win we needed. A hard fought, well earned victory against a Shrewsbury side that reminded me of us 2-3 years ago. Feeding off scraps from the hoof but robust and strong enough to beat enough sides to stay in the division. I'm not sure whether it's the beer but I thought Westcarr was outstanding today, used space well, made the pitch wide and ran the line quite well - it's a shame that he got caught offside 11 times in the game (that rivals Michael Ricketts at Northampton 4-5 years ago) but I thought he was alongside Butler as our best player on the day - if he does that weekly, I'm more than happy to swallow any of the seeming codswallop I spoke about him weeks ago.

We started very slowly and could have been 2-0 down after a few minutes. Thereafter I thought we dominated the 1st half and should have scored 2-3 goals. It seems weird to me that I thought Sawyers was reasonable and Westcarr excellent, yet we seemed to lack a centre forward. I can't remember EVER seeing a Walsall side get to the near byline and square it across the box to absolutely nobody - I thought it wasn't going to be our day at 1 point. The 1-2 between Sawyers and Westcarr for the chance late in the 1st half was excellent - it could have graced any football pitch worldwide.

Nicely taken goal from Lalkovic just after half time, and we played well until roughly 60 minutes when we seemed to change to a mentality of 'can't lose a goal, must defend' which is a robust but occasionally risky strategy - and so it proved. Eaves miss was probably the worst I have ever, ever seen live. I still can't quite understand how he didn't score. 3 yards out, open goal, nobody near him, no pressure and he spoons it over the bar. I thought we struggled after that point and rode our luck playing very deep.

We saw it through and played the last 5-6 minutes out superbly, very professional. I don't want to moan after a victory, but there are still obvious deficiencies in the side. We still NEED stiker, someone to score the tap-ins. I thought both our wingers were very poor again. Lalkovic can't seem to control a football and when he does so, he seems to try and trick an invisible player before laying off a bobbly or over-hit pass. We are carrying Baxendale at the moment and have been for weeks - he is young and obviously not a winger, which is Smith's fault but he is so weak, so lacking in willingness to stick his body on the line that it's frightening at times - his passing was so wasteless, you can tell his confidence is zilch. He did precisely this last season and that issue needs rectifying again. The back heel down the right hand side late in the second half was so frustrating.

Everyone else was solid. Adam Chambers grew in to the game and Mantom did everything with the usual competence. Westcarr has his best game in a Walsall shirt, Downing was very solid and isn't it a great feeling to have a player in Purkiss that is equally solid as James Chambers at right back? Andy Taylor was his usual solid self, though he hasn't quite reached his orgasmic levels of 4-6 weeks ago in recent times. As Smith pointed out on the radio - the ball was literally a magnet to Butler's head in the second half - he is so appreciated and yet his basic defending goes under the radar for the side, he is so vital it's incredible - can't describe how much I love the man.

Overall, a good win. Hard work and a ground out result we vastly needed. Some nice football and some ugly football, another cleansheet and proof that we can dig deep and win ugly when required to do so. A big few weeks coming up. If we take 7 from Carlisle, Bristol City and Gillingham we have a HUGE shout of sneaking 6th place.

Decent atmosphere - did Shrewsbury have any fans in the ground? Silent.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Sadders wrote:
Decent atmosphere - did Shrewsbury have any fans in the ground? Silent.

Their 'support' is a joke!

Went to both games last year, the FA Cup game this year and Gay Meadow loads of times previously. Not sure I have ever witnessed what you could call 'support' from them. They are a pathetic bunch, especially considering the fact that their home gates aren't that bad.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Sadders wrote: Lalkovic can't seem to control a football and when he does so, he seems to try and trick an invisible player before laying off a bobbly or over-hit pass.

that made me laugh :lol:

on that basis maybe he, hemmings and westcarr also think they are scoring when they haven't :D

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Just so people don't get too overly concerned, Eaves' horror miss in the second half was offside anyway.

It was a bad miss. But how was it offside? It was headed back to him from the goal line. Unless Taylor was offside when he headed it back? I'm certainly not saying we should have signed him, but Butler and Downing made him look worse than he actually is by standing up to his physical intimidation. After that, he just lost confidence. I think he might show the value of our centre halves in his next few loan games.

I'm not saying I thought it was offside, the lino had his flag up. :lol:

Touché, Monsieur. Day see that. So it would have been disallowed anyway? From the original break on the right, or later?

had his flag up to indicate a goal kick

SWS1

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:19 pm

windowman wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Just so people don't get too overly concerned, Eaves' horror miss in the second half was offside anyway.

It was a bad miss. But how was it offside? It was headed back to him from the goal line. Unless Taylor was offside when he headed it back? I'm certainly not saying we should have signed him, but Butler and Downing made him look worse than he actually is by standing up to his physical intimidation. After that, he just lost confidence. I think he might show the value of our centre halves in his next few loan games.

Touché, Monsieur. Day see that. So it would have been disallowed anyway? From the original break on the right, or later?

had his flag up to indicate a goal kick

Was that because the ball went out before being headed back or because Eaves 'eaved it over the bar?

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Worst miss I've ever seen.

That ball has just landed in Barmouth.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:48 pm

For me, the best thing about yesterday was the way we ground things out in that second half. Shrewsbury weren't great, but their front two were a handful, and certainly gave our back four more to think about than they had done when we played them in the cup a few weeks ago. Had any neutrals been in attendance, they'd have seen an entertaining battle, ultimately won by the side with the most quality on the ball.

After the first 10 minutes, when we could have been 2-0 down but for a bit of luck and a good save from O'Donnell, we looked solid at the back. Bar the one routine cross O'Donnell briefly fumbled, he looked solid and claimed a few crosses really well. Their biggest threat was from corners, but I thought we did well to keep Butler as the free man heading everything away. Purkiss was excellent again, as was Taylor.

As others have said, Westcarr and Sawyers were both excellent, yet we still looked like we lacked a striker to finish inside the 6 yard box. Why? For me, it's because our wide men never get into the box themselves. Westcarr should be the focal point Baxendale, Sawyers and Lalkovic play off, but the wide men always seem to make their runs inside at the wrong times. Baxendale was disappointing to say the least, but we shouldn't forget the graft he puts in doing toe nitty gritty of tracking back and making sure Purkiss has an easy pass to make down the line. Would Purkiss have looked so comfortable with Hemmings in front of him? Probably not.

I agree with whoever said Shrewsbury are just like we were two years ago. They're a side with no real style of play, and with a number of loanees who come and go week by week. It's seeing the way they go about things that makes me really grateful we've got a side based around continuity, youth, and a style of play every single player is completely comfortable with. We shouldn't take that for granted.

We're in a decent position now, but I think we'll need to notch things up a gear for the second half of the season if we're to make the playoffs. We might be able to squeeze in with the squad we currently have, but a calculated gamble on the right striker could make things that bit more comfortable.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I hate football clubs that have a train line next to them but no train station.

The other clubs that do this that I know of are Coventry and Scunthorpe. I'm glad both of them are struggling

SHREWSBURY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

:twisted:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: As others have said, Westcarr and Sawyers were both excellent, yet we still looked like we lacked a striker to finish inside the 6 yard box. Why? For me, it's because our wide men never get into the box themselves.

Exactly, Lalkovic is usually miles away, the lad hasnt the foggiest when to break into the box.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:57 pm

martkrugeleysaddler wrote:Worst miss I've ever seen.

But surely, Westcarr misses 3 of those every game :?

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:07 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:My prediction is 15 arrests,Walsall 8 Shewsbury 7 infront of 2 magistrates.

No Walsall fans arrested and 3 ejections. I had to read that twice when I saw it, not because a Walsall game at Shrewsbury had ended with none of our lot getting nicked but because I was thinking that the CCTV down there must be good and that they had picked up my excitement following the Sawyers/Westcarr link up in the first half.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:02 pm

PT wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:My prediction is 15 arrests,Walsall 8 Shewsbury 7 infront of 2 magistrates.

No Walsall fans arrested and 3 ejections. I had to read that twice when I saw it, not because a Walsall game at Shrewsbury had ended with none of our lot getting nicked but because I was thinking that the CCTV down there must be good and that they had picked up my excitement following the Sawyers/Westcarr link up in the first half.

Looks like the police have learnt from last season. Last year there was a great number of police outside the ground but none on the main road/bridge back to the carpark. This year they were position all along the road and on the carpark done their homework for a change. Perhaps they can pass on their expertise to Wolverhamptons finest who seemed happy to let us walk straight into the Dingle Braindeads.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Great to come away with three points.

OTOH this is one of the most surreal match topics I've seen in quite some time...

I'm just glad Cully's lucky cap isn't Dutch. Maybe that's Mrs Cully's I'm thinking of?

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:00 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:

are you sure it wasn't to indicate the goal kick ?

I use to say it was offside every week when I was family stand as a junior saddler lol

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
martkrugeleysaddler wrote:Worst miss I've ever seen.

But surely, Westcarr misses 3 of those every game :?

Oh. Crawley. Mind you he's got a place on my Xmas tree though.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Not sure if there is later post on this 'cos I've not read the lot yet, but I'd be interested in how you reckon Eeyore could be offside when the ball was played backwards to him from the goal-line...

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:59 pm

We had the best away attendance in the league yesterday by about 400...

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:19 pm

TheSwift wrote:We had the best away attendance in the league yesterday by about 400...

Very enjoyable it was too in the away end. Its nice when the saddlers turn out in force.

Lets hope we get a similar turn out for notts county away

SWS1

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 pm

We? We? We? Oh, now my pants are damp.
They. They. They.
:roll:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 pm

SWS1 wrote:We? We? We? Oh, now my pants are damp.
They. They. They.

Not sure what your point is?

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
SWS1 wrote:We? We? We? Oh, now my pants are damp.
They. They. They.

Not sure what your point is?

As with Andy.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 pm

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm

PeruSaddler wrote:

Not sure if there is later post on this 'cos I've not read the lot yet, but I'd be interested in how you reckon Eeyore could be offside when the ball was played backwards to him from the goal-line...

Either he had his flag up for the header back, or he was indicating a goal kick. No-one knows other than him.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:49 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:

Either he had his flag up for the header back, or he was indicating a goal kick. No-one knows other than him.

Interesting point - maybe the flag signals need to be changed to differentiate?
Or maybe there's a secret gesture or something that refs recognise - any refs out there can tell us?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 am

Graydonesque.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 am

Supporting on the requirement for a poacher.

The first half Westcarr did an absolute peach of a ball across the 6 yard box and nobody was on the end of it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season