Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) F.A.Cup 2nd round Sat 7th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Re: Leyton Orient (A) F.A.Cup 2nd round Sat 7th Dec, 3pm

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 am

I reckon that we should do a few bits and pieces in January:
1) Send Lalkovic back- I still do not know how he gets into the team. Yes he has scored two great goals and provided a couple of assists but other than that he just does countless stepovers, which only work 1 time out of 20. He also seems to give the ball away all the time and is just a pointless player, one of the weak links in the team.
2) Release Julian Gray- Eh, had we even signed him. Never plays and when he does, he is annonymus.
3) Bring in a striker on loan or, if anyone at the club knows what this is, 'buy' a player.
4) Bring in a winger to replace Gray, one who actually does something.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 am

sallian wrote:
PT wrote:, but the booing of Nelson Mandella/his memory left a sour taste .

If they are going to evoke the memory of political figures at football matches then they have to accept that not everybody has the same opinion on such figures.

Enforced collective mourning, people being pressurised into standing and applauding for someone they may know little about or may disagree with. In short, it has got nothing to do with football. When people go to watch a game of football, I think they are going for that...not to make a demonstration of our collective feelings that we don't have unless they have been artificially engineered by such events. Just like all these leaders making their hypocritical speeches about it.

How many more public figures who were known for sacrifice and public service died recently, why are they all not commemorated?

What has the death of Nelson Mandela got to do with a football match between Leyton Orient and Walsall? As far as I know he didn't play for Walsall or Leyton Orient and was a son of neither town.

People who have feelings for these things will do something about it anyway or have their own personal feelings about it. But this enforced ritual public conscience, selectively chosen individuals....that the establishment is happy with (currently)...I can't stand it.

Outstanding post. I couldn't agree more.

The over sentimentality of this country and the adoption of the way Americans/scousers mourn the death of the odd sparrow or a hedgehog crossing the road is getting on my tits.

What's worse of course is assuming that a football match should be the place to commemorate something so utterly unrelated to football.

Utter rubbish.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 am

sallian wrote:

If they are going to evoke the memory of political figures at football matches then they have to accept that not everybody has the same opinion on such figures.

Enforced collective mourning, people being pressurised into standing and applauding for someone they may know little about or may disagree with. In short, it has got nothing to do with football. When people go to watch a game of football, I think they are going for that...not to make a demonstration of our collective feelings that we don't have unless they have been artificially engineered by such events. Just like all these leaders making their hypocritical speeches about it.

How many more public figures who were known for sacrifice and public service died recently, why are they all not commemorated?

What has the death of Nelson Mandela got to do with a football match between Leyton Orient and Walsall? As far as I know he didn't play for Walsall or Leyton Orient and was a son of neither town.

People who have feelings for these things will do something about it anyway or have their own personal feelings about it. But this enforced ritual public conscience, selectively chosen individuals....that the establishment is happy with (currently)...I can't stand it.

I agree with you, but even so, can't people just show some common decency for a minute. I will be at a dinner in London tomorrow night where no doubt the Queen and her bunch will be toasted. As a republican, I won't join in with the toast, I will just stand there and say nothing. I won't be booing.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:11 am

Whilst I also agree with Chester, for the sake of having a brain, just shut up for a minute. Booing is pointless most of the time even at the fans own football team.

(apart from when we lost 2-0 to Stoke in a midweek away match a few years ago)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 am

Any grown man who boos, while not at a panto with their kid, deserves to be castrated and flogged with the removed bollocks.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:15 am

saddlerken wrote:
tinned wrote:I'm getting bored of all this unlucky this and deserved more that. We don't score anywhere near enough goals to win games and until that is sorted you can stick the so called sexy football where the sun don't shine. The kind of football I find sexy is the sort when you put more than one more in the net than the other side.

Be careful, you'll upset the Smith jizzerers.

This is a wondrous moment in the history of Walsall Football Club and we all should be in love with the football we play. In fact, I cannot believe my eyes sometimes. Have you seen? We are currently mid table in division 3, out of all cups, as per the last 125 years, with a similar comparative budget to the last 125 years.

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

Is there anything sexier than smoshing the ball in the net?

We scored a lot of goals last season with Grigg, Brandy and Paterson making a major contribution to the total. Not just the goals though, we had more attacking pace and moved the ball more quickly.

Given that we are in touching distance of the play offs, and have not replaced those players with similar quality, I am happy to be in mid table at this stage. Without sorting out the lack of goals, it is difficult to see any better than a mid table finish, but as you say that is normal for Walsall.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 am

chestersaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
tinned wrote:I'm getting bored of all this unlucky this and deserved more that. We don't score anywhere near enough goals to win games and until that is sorted you can stick the so called sexy football where the sun don't shine. The kind of football I find sexy is the sort when you put more than one more in the net than the other side.

This is a wondrous moment in the history of Walsall Football Club and we all should be in love with the football we play. In fact, I cannot believe my eyes sometimes. Have you seen? We are currently mid table in division 3, out of all cups, as per the last 125 years, with a similar comparative budget to the last 125 years.

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

We scored a lot of goals last season with Grigg, Brandy and Paterson making a major contribution to the total. Not just the goals though, we had more attacking pace and moved the ball more quickly.

Given that we are in touching distance of the play offs, and have not replaced those players with similar quality, I am happy to be in mid table at this stage. Without sorting out the lack of goals, it is difficult to see any better than a mid table finish, but as you say that is normal for Walsall.

Har. In a better stocked division as well.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am

Whitters wrote:The ball hit the post, hit the goalie and went out.
It could easily have gone in.
I call that unlucky.
They had one shot and it went in.

I call that good technique. The best manager of all time had something to say about luck in football. Maybe you should wear lucky underpants, it will clearly make us win more games.

We are creating enough chances, we are just failing to convert them. I don't really follow your logic that people asking the club to sign a decent finisher want our style of play to change to hoofing the ball forward to lump. Anyway, as it happens we have of late spent a fair amount of time of late hoofing the ball. We spent the whole first half at Crawley doing it and their centre backs lapped it up. We did it numerous times on Saturday as well.

It doesn't matter who or where we play, if we lose a match we are all going to suggest ways that the team could have changed things to avoid defeat. Isn't that the main reason the message board is here? Your "you'll be happy when Dean Smith has gone" response to this seems a bit daft to me.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Any grown man who boos, while not at a panto with their kid, deserves to be castrated and flogged with the removed bollocks.

Come on! What about referees? I bloody love booing referees. :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 am

aaaae wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Any grown man who boos, while not at a panto with their kid, deserves to be castrated and flogged with the removed bollocks.

Come on! What about referees? I bloody love booing referees. :mrgreen:

Call him a barclays then, but never boo. It degrades us all.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Whitters wrote:

The ball hit the post, hit the goalie and went out.
It could easily have gone in.
I call that unlucky.
They had one shot and it went in.
They were at home and top of the table.
What do you fudge expect?
Too much if you ask me.
It would have been 1-1 with a replay at our place.
Your other comments are your opinion and I don't agree.
The performance was fine for me and things are in fine shape for me.
Smith and co can't keep producing performances like this and stay at WFC, someone in the Championship will snap them up and you may get your wish with a new bloke playing hoofball to a big lump.
Back to the past if that happens - but you may understand football like that.

What a load of old tosh. A few comments about needing a minor change of game plan and apparently we are all asking for hoofball. Pathetic.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:07 pm

saddlerken wrote:
sallian wrote:

The over sentimentality of this country and the adoption of the way Americans/scousers mourn the death of the odd sparrow or a hedgehog crossing the road is getting on my tits.

What's worse of course is assuming that a football match should be the place to commemorate something so utterly unrelated to football.

Utter rubbish.

I agree with both posts. If I could boo the over sentimentality I would - despite 20 years of scouse influence. Perhaps yesterday's boo-ers were indeed staging their own "down with sort of thing" protest" or maybe, just maybe they were booing the man in who's name the applause (as mis-guided as such things for such people at football matches may be) was meant.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:10 pm

saddlerken wrote:

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

I am a big Smith fan, he's increased my excitement in watching Walsall to heights not experienced in a few years. That said, I think he is in danger if ruining that due to being pig-headed.

I knew these type of posts would bring out the Whitters type posts. Constructive criticism is not allowed you know :O

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:01 pm

My advice to you all (for what its worth) is enjoy the sexy football while you can and stop dreaming of playing championship football.Smith and co are working hard to sort the problem of goal scoring no matter how blase he seems in his press interviews.Its just like say for instance your washer breaks down at home,if you have no vested interest in the washer you would just say "buy another one" but if its your washer you know there are a lot more steps to be gone through before you buy another washer.Look at Man utd,they are struggling but its not for the lack of any player its to do with confidence or finding the right system that suites the players that Moyes has at his disposal.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:49 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:The list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen:
Charlton Athletic
Stourbridge
Merthyr Tydfil

That is the end of the list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen.

So who have we lost to in that time(away from home)?

We have lost to:
Leyton Orient
Brentford
Millwall (in a replay)
Torquay
Stoke
Slough Town
Millwall
Sheffield United
Gillingham (in a replay)
Preston North End

and drawn with:
Dagenham and Redbridge (lost after replay)
Macclesfield (lost after replay)
Lincoln City (lost after replay)
Exeter City (won after replay)
Northampton (won after replay)
Barnsley (won after replay)

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:54 pm

tinned wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

I am a big Smith fan, he's increased my excitement in watching Walsall to heights not experienced in a few years. That said, I think he is in danger if ruining that due to being pig-headed.

I knew these type of posts would bring out the Whitters type posts. Constructive criticism is not allowed you know :O

Constructive criticism? Wasn't much constructive criticism in the phrase 'Smith jizzerers'. If you're going to take sides, then it cuts both ways...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:17 pm

More often than not, I'll try to give Smith and his team the benefit of the doubt after a poor result, but yesterday's performance was nothing other than lacklustre in every department. To show such a lack of bottle in a cup game was inexcusable.

With Orient having their manager and best player (Lisbie) missing, plus a bit of tinkering with their starting line-up, I wouldn't go as far as saying they were there for the taking, but they'd certainly given us half a chance. Yet we opted to start with Lalkovic up front on his own, with Westcarr wide on the left and Hemmings on the right - as strong an admittance as we're ever likely to see that we were hoping for the best rather than wanting to take the game to them.

The most disappointing thing was the lack of drive we had in the side. No-one looked like they wanted to win the game, as everyone seemed only too happy to play neat 10 yard passes along the halfway line. Our back four looked comfortable, yet so did theirs - which tells those who weren't there all they need to know about the game as a spectacle.

Do we need a striker? Probably, but what we also need is for our manager to show a bit more tactical nouse, rather than merely resorting to Sawyers at home and Featherstone away. It might have worked initially, but those tactics have now become so predictable that teams are sussing us out. On the plus side we didn't lose any league points, but we'll get turned over by a poor Shrewsbury side next week if we play like that again.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm

saddlerken wrote:

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

You've made this point many times before, and it's wrong. The gap between divisions is much wider than it ever used to be. You only need to look at the narrower distribution of trophies between different teams and the number of teams that yo-yo between divisions to appreciate that.

So in summary, Walsall have underperformed for a large part of their 125 years, but they're not underperforming at the moment.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:56 pm

saddlerken wrote:
sallian wrote:

The over sentimentality of this country and the adoption of the way Americans/scousers mourn the death of the odd sparrow or a hedgehog crossing the road is getting on my fools.

Utter rubbish.

Yes, I agree too. It's like being at school and being told what to think

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:07 pm

mister marmite wrote:

Tinned - This isn't personal - but you are a symptom of what is wrong with the modern football fan. I've read and posted on here for years. I recall you being one of the first (and only) people on here choosing to slate Dickie Dosh when he was here ? Didn't you
moan about dour football and his dour attitude - even though it was winning football ?

Salian ? Seriously finding so so much wrong ? , but the wins aren't flowing week in week out. The Peterborough performances aren't flowing week in week out. But week in week out we see a commitment to playing good football. We see a commitment to playing football the right way. Think back to the lost days of Hutchings. Think back to the post Christmas days of Colin Lee when the heart wasn't there against Gillingham and Burnley. Cast your mindback to the Jimmy Mullen to side who blew hot and cold. If you want to feel really sad remember floating around Division 4 with Kenny Hibbert or sliding in to Division 4 with Barnwell. From the Bescot years we should be as proud of this team as we were of Nicholls Promotion winning team, Big Fat Jans Cup Run Team, Sir Rays Promotion Sides and Dickie Dosh's side. Yes we need a striker, and in all honesty - that's all we need.

Think the penny has dropped with most of us - that the longer this Walsall FC plan develops - The better it becomes - So why the heck are people flapping. Russell Slade is one of 7 or 8 managers in England whose been in a job longer than Dean Smith. That's paying dividends at Brisbane Road.

Good post Mr Marmite

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm

sallian wrote:

Why not simply not applaud then?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
sallian wrote:

The over sentimentality of this country and the adoption of the way Americans/scousers mourn the death of the odd sparrow or a hedgehog crossing the road is getting on my fools.

Utter rubbish.

No, it's not.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Have I just read that above?????? There sure is a scummy element on here.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:32 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
saddlerken wrote:
sallian wrote:

Utter rubbish.

No, it's not.

Why?

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for that g....... As this sites admin is also the chair of the trust.....This filth above is your opinion as you haven't modded it? :evil:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm

rogerem wrote:Thanks for that g....... As this sites admin is also the chair of the trust.....This filth above is your opinion as you haven't modded it? :evil:

What on earth are you talking about? Which admin? Which trust? Which filth? Who is "g"?

If you can't express yourself clearly and sensibly, don't be surprised if you lose the ability to post.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Oh for a time machine to return to the days when Walsall teams scored goals, we also lost many games in those days but the effort was always undeniable, and, at least we could score a goal or two whilst losing, so I agree with 'saddlerken' there is surely no better enjoyment than seeing the net ripple. Endless tippy tappy sideways and backwards sheckshy football is totally pointless without end results! Don't we ALL go to footy matches to see goals?
Many above have pointed out that the team is playing great....no they ain't, theym like a chess player that just 'takes' the opposition pieces without actually understanding the point of the game.
Unless we start scoring we can kiss goodbye to even the stability of mid table mediocrity!
Deano sort it! The prospect of the unimaginable embarrassment of losing at home to the likes of Shrewsbury loom large. :?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:You've made this point many times before, and it's wrong. The gap between divisions is much wider than it ever used to be. You only need to look at the narrower distribution of trophies between different teams and the number of teams that yo-yo between divisions to appreciate that.

So in summary, Walsall have underperformed for a large part of their 125 years, but they're not underperforming at the moment.

None of this makes any sense, can you give me some examples?

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
rogerem wrote:Thanks for that g....... As this sites admin is also the chair of the trust.....This filth above is your opinion as you haven't modded it? :evil:

What on earth are you talking about? Which admin? Which trust? Which filth? Who is "g"?

If you can't express yourself clearly and sensibly, don't be surprised if you lose the ability to post.

I think a little respect is due there don't you. Nelson Mandella is a hero.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

saddlerken wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:You've made this point many times before, and it's wrong. The gap between divisions is much wider than it ever used to be. You only need to look at the narrower distribution of trophies between different teams and the number of teams that yo-yo between divisions to appreciate that.

None of this makes any sense, can you give me some examples?

Sure thing Ken

No. of football league champions 1972-1992 = 7 (derby, leeds, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Notts Forest, Aston Villa)
No. of premier league champions 1992 -2013 = 5 (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, Blackburn, Man City)

No of FA Cup winners 1972 - 1992 = 12 (Leeds, Sunderland, Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Man U, Ipswich, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Coventry, Wimbledon)
No of FA cup winners 1992- 2013 = 8 (Manu, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Wigan, Everton,Liverpool, Portsmouth)

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season