Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) F.A.Cup 2nd round Sat 7th Dec, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Leyton Orient (A) F.A.Cup 2nd round Sat 7th Dec, 3pm

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:47 pm

The list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen:
Charlton Athletic
Stourbridge
Merthyr Tydfil

That is the end of the list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:The list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen:
Charlton Athletic
Stourbridge
Merthyr Tydfil

That is the end of the list of teams we have beaten away from home in the FA Cup since Sorensen.

So who have we lost to in that time(away from home)?

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Extremely disappointed not to make the big hat.when will we ever have a cup run again ?
Unless we act quickly and bring I at least 2 new faces (a winger and a striker) I feR this season will be the total opposite of the last 3.
Looking dead and berried by Christmas we turned it around..this time we have on occasions looked like promotion candidates up until now.
Given our inferior budget though I would still happily take a mid table finish now.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:05 pm

m&m wrote:Looking dead and berried by Christmas.

Doing OK at present though.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 pm

m&m wrote:Given our inferior budget though I would still happily take a mid table finish now.

Inferior to who?

Is there a league table of Division 3 budgets?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:52 pm

MPSADDLER wrote:I would like to see Lalkovic used as an out and out striker in the next game alongside Westcarr. He is quick and is a good finisher. As for Troy Hewitt, we may as well just release him, he is absolutely useless, sunday league at best.

You've lost the plot.

Lalkovic is not an out and out striker for what we try and play, whenever he is up top, we end up just hoofing it up for him to run on to. Troy Hewitt is Sunday league quality? He had maybe 5 touches in the short substitute appearance today, and you think that is sufficient enough evidence to say he is Sunday league quality? How many games do you go to, because I have been to everyone this season and really rate Troy as he works hard with his back to goal and puts a real shift in.

We are now just slating players for the sake of slating them.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:55 pm

If there ever was a performance to sum up this Walsall team so far this season, this would be it. A lot of possession, a lot of effort, doing the hard things - but then falling at the final and easiest hurdle, putting it in the back of the net.

Orient is the worst ever ground to park at by the way.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Their goalkeeper made two or three decent saves, we hit the post as well as missing a couple of very good chances - especially at the death. I don't think O'Donnell had anything to do, other than pick the ball out of the net and some routine stuff. You can, and Dean does, call it unlucky and the Westcarr free-kick was very unlucky indeed. But if something keeps happening it can't be bad luck.

They had one real chance and scored it and scored it emphatically. We don't seem to have that kind of win in us where we play averagely/poorly but still grind one out, but then perhaps we don't play against teams who miss 19 out of 20 chances and then nod off at the back.

That said, there's still loads to be cheery about. We were the better team in every department bar one, we played the better football and created the better chances. There's clues everywhere and I can't believe Dean doesn't see them.

We were behind the goal today which is better than the usual down the side you get there. When you go away you want an "end". Not a bad little following, but the booing of Nelson Mandella/his memory left a sour taste and singing Bubbles every time we go down there is barclays.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:There is no doubt we need a striker - but don't you all think the qualified network of coaches & the Manager know this??

Is the money being made available for a poacher? Are there any options....

Personally, I think we should be looking at someone proven at this level who desperately needs a chance - the like of Ebanks-Blake at Wolves, out of contact and kicking his heals just using the fitness facilities at the Dingles....surely worth a punt for the sake of turning our decent season into possibly amazing one? Question is, is the money there?

Is midtable "decent"?

'Cos thats where we're heading.

Dont let our attractive football distract you from the mediocre results we get.

Mid-table is more than decent in this division for Walsall FC. Yes.

Get real.....

There lies the sad reality. Today won't have gone anywhere to help anybody either.

Sad reality - not really, no. I have never really expected anything more from this Football Club based on size, resource etc. Anything above is merely an unusual achievement, which is why Graydon and Buckley are so celebrated.

Call me rare, but I am a football supporter that prefers to live in the real world.

As for the striker, would really like to see us take a chance on someone like Ebanks-Blake. Agreed the strange affair with Julian Gray needs to put to bed, and quickly!

I think it's interesting that Buckley and Graydon teams both benefited from an old warhorse striker brought in at the tail end of their careers. Smith seems determined not to do the same.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm

PT wrote:Their goalkeeper made two or three decent saves, we hit the post as well as missing a couple of very good chances - especially at the death. I don't think O'Donnell had anything to do, other than pick the ball out of the net and some routine stuff. You can, and Dean does, call it unlucky and the Westcarr free-kick was very unlucky indeed. But if something keeps happening it can't be bad luck.

They had one real chance and scored it and scored it emphatically. We don't seem to have that kind of win in us where we play averagely/poorly but still grind one out, but then perhaps we don't play against teams who miss 19 out of 20 chances and then nod off at the back.

That said, there's still loads to be cheery about. We were the better team in every department bar one, we played the better football and created the better chances. There's clues everywhere and I can't believe Dean doesn't see them.

We were behind the goal today which is better than the usual down the side you get there. When you go away you want an "end". Not a bad little following, but the booing of Nelson Mandella/his memory left a sour taste and singing Bubbles every time we go down there is barclays.

A pretty spot-on overview for me.
Very unlucky.
They are built on a very good keeper and aren't top for no reason despite their illness problems.
We deserved a draw at least.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Depressing and unnecessarily bad performance, same old story that I have already been saying. But it seems to be getting worse.

Dean Smith is getting further entrenched in his denial about the team's attacking inadequacy.

Leyton Orient weren't even that good, and Walsall looked the stronger team in early stages...but the writing was on the wall early on as Walsall kept squandering offensive opportunties. Not just squandering final passes, but moving forward was slow, clumsy and clueless. The usual:-

i) Taking too long to release the ball into space
ii) Taking too long to deliver a cross
iii) Trying to walk the ball in
iv) No diagonal runs
v) Taking too long to take a shot on goal
other continuous attacking errors and weakness too.

NOTE: All of these errors can be removed with more alertness and directness from the players.

But add for today:-

i) Lack of running off the ball
ii) Many stray passes

I also think Lalkovic is maybe the best bet in the current team to score from a centre forward role. However....Walsall NEVER PLAY THE EARLY PASS into space.

They only seem to think 'man' but not 'space'.

If you have a fast player...then you can play it into the space for him to attack...they should do the same with Hemmings.

I didn't want to go this game, as I predicted they would not score....but today was worse as they never really looked like scoring.

They are going to drop into relegation struggle, at the moment I think mid-table positions are looking optimistic.

Disaster, as they could have won many more games if addressed their awful forward play.

It is NOT JUST about having a striker.....they are BAD OFFENSIVELY. And I am also annoyed about all this 'fantastic football' mantra....it is false, the people who keep saying this are delusional...just like Dean Smith is delusional about 'We are unlucky, our forwards are doing fine, the ball just didn't go in today...blah blah blah' No Dean, the ball is very rarely going to end up in the opposition's net the way they are playing (in collusion with the midfielders). All the defending as a team is wasted by the inept approach to forward play.

Smith's philosophy is working....Walsall don't score the first goal...then they lose, as one goal occassionally is all that can be hoped for. Today my only hope was of an own goal or penalty.

Leyton Orient were quite poor....but looked more alert up front.

Walsall players don't need striking practice as it seems they are not even trying to score goals. There was no urgency today.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm getting bored of all this unlucky this and deserved more that. We don't score anywhere near enough goals to win games and until that is sorted you can stick the so called sexy football where the sun don't shine. The kind of football I find sexy is the sort when you put more than one more in the net than the other side.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:19 pm

tinned wrote:I'm getting bored of all this unlucky this and deserved more that. We don't score anywhere near enough goals to win games and until that is sorted you can stick the so called sexy football where the sun don't shine. The kind of football I find sexy is the sort when you put more than one more in the net than the other side.

Quite. The difference between scoring or blasting the ball over the bar has absolutely nothing to do with luck.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 pm

tinned wrote:I'm getting bored of all this unlucky this and deserved more that. We don't score anywhere near enough goals to win games and until that is sorted you can stick the so called sexy football where the sun don't shine. The kind of football I find sexy is the sort when you put more than one more in the net than the other side.

I agree, that's what I'm saying above. If it keeps happening it isn't luck. It is good that we try and play the right way and when it comes off it is joyful. But we play down a lot of cul-de-sacs and we don't convert. We're also prone to nod off at the back. It's good that we're close to being very good but it's also mighty frustrating

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 pm

PT wrote:, but the booing of Nelson Mandella/his memory left a sour taste .

If they are going to evoke the memory of political figures at football matches then they have to accept that not everybody has the same opinion on such figures.

Enforced collective mourning, people being pressurised into standing and applauding for someone they may know little about or may disagree with. In short, it has got nothing to do with football. When people go to watch a game of football, I think they are going for that...not to make a demonstration of our collective feelings that we don't have unless they have been artificially engineered by such events. Just like all these leaders making their hypocritical speeches about it.

How many more public figures who were known for sacrifice and public service died recently, why are they all not commemorated?

What has the death of Nelson Mandela got to do with a football match between Leyton Orient and Walsall? As far as I know he didn't play for Walsall or Leyton Orient and was a son of neither town.

People who have feelings for these things will do something about it anyway or have their own personal feelings about it. But this enforced ritual public conscience, selectively chosen individuals....that the establishment is happy with (currently)...I can't stand it.

MPSADDLER
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:25 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
MPSADDLER wrote:I would like to see Lalkovic used as an out and out striker in the next game alongside Westcarr. He is quick and is a good finisher. As for Troy Hewitt, we may as well just release him, he is absolutely useless, sunday league at best.

You've lost the plot.

Lalkovic is not an out and out striker for what we try and play, whenever he is up top, we end up just hoofing it up for him to run on to. Troy Hewitt is Sunday league quality? He had maybe 5 touches in the short substitute appearance today, and you think that is sufficient enough evidence to say he is Sunday league quality? How many games do you go to, because I have been to everyone this season and really rate Troy as he works hard with his back to goal and puts a real shift in.

We are now just slating players for the sake of slating them.

I have seen every game that Troy Hewitt has played in and have seen enough to suggest he is useless. When i mentioned sunday league...i didn't mean playing...but running the line with a flag and maybe getting on if there was an injury (if the old man watching and his dog couldn't come on)

In fact id say he was one of the worst strikers i have ever seen...not quite Andrew Barrowman bad because that would be inhumanely impossible, but he would make an ideal strike partner for Barrowman.

By saying that you rate him basically certifies you as being insane.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:26 pm

aaaae wrote:

Quite. The difference between scoring or blasting the ball over the bar has absolutely nothing to do with luck.

Yes exactly, poor technique and panic reactions in front of goal, snatching at chances....and one of the main causes is probably Dean Smith not admitting this problem.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Better get Suarez and Aguero in sharpish!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:36 pm

The Red Prince wrote:Better get Suarez and Aguero in sharpish!

Or at least someone who realises, like Aguero & Suarez, that a chance has to be taken quick enough before all the opposition defenders & goalkeeper settle themselves.

The youngster who is now off to a non-league side on loan....why not give him and other youth a chance on the senior pitch? He can't be any worse in taking chances than the current forwards....he also might have more hunger.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm

sallian wrote:
The youngster who is now off to a non-league side on loan....r.

He got sent off.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Hopefully our form will change and then Salian and MP will be on here giving credit like they usually do when we're on a good run. :roll:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:45 pm

kshammer wrote:Hopefully our form will change and then Salian and MP will be on here giving credit like they usually do when we're on a good run. :roll:

I hope it changes too, I would like it for Dean Smith...as he always seems a nice bloke.

However, rather than it just changing...by 'rub of the green' I would rather it changed by Dean Smith making a change in tactics etc...then it would be more fulfilling for him, me and us :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:47 pm

On the plus side, how majestic was Westcarr. All over the pitch today.

He even stuck up for the other 10 men when Mooney got sent off. He was ready to fight.

That guy is superb i tell ya.

I thought he was gonna implode.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:
sallian wrote:

He got sent off.

Seriously? Or this just your wittiness at work?

Either way that is funny...and sums things up.

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:24 am

Tinned - This isn't personal - but you are a symptom of what is wrong with the modern football fan. I've read and posted on here for years. I recall you being one of the first (and only) people on here choosing to slate Dickie Dosh when he was here ? Didn't you
moan about dour football and his dour attitude - even though it was winning football ?

Salian ? Seriously finding so so much wrong ? , but the wins aren't flowing week in week out. The Peterborough performances aren't flowing week in week out. But week in week out we see a commitment to playing good football. We see a commitment to playing football the right way. Think back to the lost days of Hutchings. Think back to the post Christmas days of Colin Lee when the heart wasn't there against Gillingham and Burnley. Cast your mindback to the Jimmy Mullen to side who blew hot and cold. If you want to feel really sad remember floating around Division 4 with Kenny Hibbert or sliding in to Division 4 with Barnwell. From the Bescot years we should be as proud of this team as we were of Nicholls Promotion winning team, Big Fat Jans Cup Run Team, Sir Rays Promotion Sides and Dickie Dosh's side. Yes we need a striker, and in all honesty - that's all we need.

Think the penny has dropped with most of us - that the longer this Walsall FC plan develops - The better it becomes - So why the heck are people flapping. Russell Slade is one of 7 or 8 managers in England whose been in a job longer than Dean Smith. That's paying dividends at Brisbane Road.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:35 am

sallian wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
sallian wrote:

He got sent off.

Seriously? Or this just your wittiness at work?

Either way that is funny...and sums things up.

Keiron Morris was sent off today yes.

He played very well apparently.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:37 am

The ball hit the post, hit the goalie and went out.
It could easily have gone in.
I call that unlucky.
They had one shot and it went in.
They were at home and top of the table.
What do you fudge expect?
Too much if you ask me.
It would have been 1-1 with a replay at our place.
Your other comments are your opinion and I don't agree.
The performance was fine for me and things are in fine shape for me.
Smith and co can't keep producing performances like this and stay at WFC, someone in the Championship will snap them up and you may get your wish with a new bloke playing hoofball to a big lump.
Back to the past if that happens - but you may understand football like that.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:39 am

Whitters wrote:

The ball hit the post, hit the goalie and went out.
It could easily have gone in.
I call that unlucky.
They had one shot and it went in.
They were at home and top of the table.
What do you donald expect?
Too much if you ask me.
It would have been 1-1 with a replay at our place.
Your other comments are your opinion and I don't agree.
The performance was fine for me and things are in fine shape for me.
Smith and co can't keep producing performances like this and stay at WFC, someone in the Championship will snap them up and you may get your wish with a new bloke playing hoofball to a big lump.
Back to the past if that happens - but you may understand football like that.

I didn't expect them to win before the match as I know Orient can score and I know Walsall struggle to score.

But early in the game Walsall has regular opportunities to create things and they didn't...Orient were not that good....With a little alertness up front and creative attacking play Walsall could have won.

They were very poor in the second half and didn't look like scoring.

The problem is the lack of ideas up front is not being addressed...as the same mistakes and obstacles are continuous game after game.

Its no good that they go a goal down and then we accurately predict '...that's it we've lost...'

This is not about luck....an attacking team create continuous good chances...and raid the goal with shots. This is the main aim of football....not passing sideways and backwards forever....passing should only be aimed at creating chances. Dean Smith is too tolerant of low goal output, few goal attempts and squandered possession in the danger areas.

How depressing is it that we travel, spend and suffer watching them....and if they score one goal its like the lottery has been won....YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS WE SCORED A GOAL! WE ACTUALLy SCORED!....It seems to me their expectations and ambition for goal is getting less and less.....Dean Smith's low demands nd standards in this area are becoming entrenched.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 am

mister marmite wrote:

Tinned - This isn't personal - but you are a symptom of what is wrong with the modern football fan. I've read and posted on here for years. I recall you being one of the first (and only) people on here choosing to slate Dickie Dosh when he was here ? Didn't you
moan about dour football and his dour attitude - even though it was winning football ?

Salian ? Seriously finding so so much wrong ? , but the wins aren't flowing week in week out. The Peterborough performances aren't flowing week in week out. But week in week out we see a commitment to playing good football. We see a commitment to playing football the right way. Think back to the lost days of Hutchings. Think back to the post Christmas days of Colin Lee when the heart wasn't there against Gillingham and Burnley. Cast your mindback to the Jimmy Mullen to side who blew hot and cold. If you want to feel really sad remember floating around Division 4 with Kenny Hibbert or sliding in to Division 4 with Barnwell. From the Bescot years we should be as proud of this team as we were of Nicholls Promotion winning team, Big Fat Jans Cup Run Team, Sir Rays Promotion Sides and Dickie Dosh's side. Yes we need a striker, and in all honesty - that's all we need.

Think the penny has dropped with most of us - that the longer this Walsall FC plan develops - The better it becomes - So why the heck are people flapping. Russell Slade is one of 7 or 8 managers in England whose been in a job longer than Dean Smith. That's paying dividends at Brisbane Road.

Its good that you have enthusiam, hope, support and positivity....but I think your view of the current play is a little rose tinted.

Actaually watch what happens on the pitch....They are strong in defending as a team, and SOMETIMES in spreading the play around....but running off the ball to give the ballplayer options? They are often like statues. Quick passing? Too often not in the danger areas. Passing into open space for runners? They don't seem to be aware of this type of passing. Not overdoing the passing? They often over do it. Getting numbers into the box for the winger's cross? They are often lacking. Early shots on goal? Very rare. All of these things are part of 'THE RIGHT TYPE OF FOOTBALL' Good football is not simply making many passes. The aim of the game is not to pass but to score. Walsall's football is not geared enough towards scoring. The games needs to be judged on decent chances created, rather than passes made. Creative passes made....is a much better measure of quality football.

If they made more crosses and took more shots (ESPECIALLY EARLIER)...there would not only be more goals scored directly but also indirectly due to rebounds etc. They are always trying to walk the ball in....waiting forever for perfect pathways without generating them.

We don't just need a striker, we need much more efficient, lively, decisive attacking play.

The Peterboro perforance was good very good in some respects and very bad in others. After that game I thought, Walsaal are definitely not going to make the play offs as they can not score...and they squander so much attacking possession and opportunity.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:56 am

Be careful, you'll upset the Smith jizzerers.

This is a wondrous moment in the history of Walsall Football Club and we all should be in love with the football we play. In fact, I cannot believe my eyes sometimes. Have you seen? We are currently mid table in division 3, out of all cups, as per the last 125 years, with a similar comparative budget to the last 125 years.

'The new Dario Gradi'

'Sexy football'

megalolololololathon

Is there anything sexier than smoshing the ball in the net?

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season