Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) League One Saturday 30th Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Port Vale (H) League One Saturday 30th Nov, 3pm

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Do short capital lettered abbreviations count as candidates?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 pm

sallian wrote:
longdogs wrote:This was the best thing about today's game.

beautiful sunset longdogs, you took a great shot there (which means you are not Hemmings or Westcar).... its great composition, very symbolic I think....scattered pink clouds are like candy floss....a bit like Walsall's play....all pretty and sweet but lots of gaps

That's right Sallian, that's what the Banks Stadium looks like!

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:12 pm

first post this season as football has been excellent, only reason for posting after a third of the season has passed is for all the talk of a striker our weakest link remain in goal

both goals his fault in the build up again, defence looks nervous with him there

my patience worn thin from O'donnels indecision

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Mal wrote:first post this season as football has been excellent, only reason for posting after a third of the season has passed is for all the talk of a striker our weakest link remain in goal

both goals his fault in the build up again, defence looks nervous with him there

Neither in my opinion was his fault. Yes maybe he could of collected the ball just before we conceded the throw for the second, but that does not mean it was his fault for the entire second goal, the entire defence has to deal with the long throw. You can't just live off "what iff's."

OWEN1955

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:32 am

sid swifty wrote:Have patience people,for the first time in many years Walsall have a team with a lot of potential.I'm sure Smith and O'kelly are trying everything they know to get the team scoring but panic buying wont help.Walsall cant afford to get in a 20 goal a season striker so they need to either slightly change what they are doing to get the present strikers to perform or start scoring from all around the team.People have trusted Smith so far,and as i have said Smith and O'kelly will be frantically trying to sort the problem out.so if you have trusted and supported smith so far,keep the faith he knows where he wants to be in 12 months time.

Fully agree with this, all of our players are young players some havent even played league football before , we are bound to have days like Saturday but hopefully we will have more days like Wolves away and keep in touch with the top 10. As said we don't have the budget of the bigger teams but i personally think that Smith is on the right lines in bringing these players in. They will make mistakes they are young but hopefully they will learn from them. As for RO'D most people on here know that i like him however i will agree that he needs to work on his catching. He has worked on his kicking and distribution since he arrived and i am sure that by the end of this season Cutler will have sorted his catching out as well. let's just be patient with them and back them not boo them off the pitch like some morons did with Sawyers last Saturday.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 am

Time for Smith to earn his wage, he has the team set up for away games but not at home if the opposition suss us out, we can't keep dropping this many points at home its undoing all the good work the team delivers on our travels. This week he should spend a lot of team with that team developing a secondary system for home games that the players can adapt to relatively quickly.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 am

JonnyOwen wrote:
Mal wrote:first post this season as football has been excellent, only reason for posting after a third of the season has passed is for all the talk of a striker our weakest link remain in goal

Neither in my opinion was his fault. Yes maybe he could of collected the ball just before we conceded the throw for the second, but that does not mean it was his fault for the entire second goal, the entire defence has to deal with the long throw. You can't just live off "what iff's."

I agree - if our back four really had so little confidence in O'Donnell, how did they manage to concede no goals from open play in over a month?

We lost because not a single one of our attacking players had a good game. Defending from the front has been a strength of ours of late, but it certainly wasn't on Saturday.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 am

WFC_Rob wrote:[
We lost because not a single one of our attacking players had a good game. Defending from the front has been a strength of ours of late, but it certainly wasn't on Saturday.

Spot on.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:34 pm

If you have to pin the blame on anyone for the goals we conceded then Downing & J Chambers for the first and Downing and Butler for the second.

Why would anyone need to wear gloves playing on Saturday afternoon? It was hardly arctic.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't think anybody can expect a back 4 made up of freebies and experienced journeyman to be absolutely spot on for 46 games a season. They are the best defence we've had for a very long time and are owed quite a few 'off' afternoons. It's at the opposite end of the pitch where the problems lie for the side and that includes wingers and central midfielders who don't get forward and create enough.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Gosh , there's a few points to consider here.

Firstly the 1980s - we are very much in our 1982-3 transition season, for all the promise there are games like this where the soft young flesh of our team is torn apart by cloggers. Port Vale are a much bigger and more experienced side than us and probably were in the early 80s as well. Next year, I think the team and Dean Smith, will have learned from this. I noticed the 3-6 and 1-8 results (Sep 1983) were mentioned.

It was interesting that the 1987/8 game was mentioned as well. We were 0-2 down at half time, having been given a mild kicking and some good direct football to be fair to them. In the second half, Plan B came into effect and we won 5-2. We appear to be some way from that at the moment, but the groundwork is being done.

Midfield - I noted that the midfielders seemed tired listening to the WM commentary from Sheff Utd. The Chambers boys obviously have other things on their mind and Baxendale seems in need of a week off. What would have been interesting in this game was if DS had done a Paul Lambert and made a triple substitution with over 30min to go.

Strikers - If we consider the early 80s again, some of the criticism is the same. If only we had a huge forward with top flight experience. Step forward Dave Bamber.

What is required is to freshen up the line up, a bit of squad rotation wouldn't go amiss in the forward and midfield areas.
I also wonder realistically how far away from the first team the likes of McQuilkin, Morris and Bakayoko are.

Still Orient next week and we can revert to 4-6-0!
At least DS seems to have considered a more attack minded formation.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Good post Leic. I think the comparison with the early 80's holds up on all fronts. The handicap that Smith has that Buckley didn't is the modern day rules around player registration and freedom of movement. I think we would have taken the Paterson money in the early 80's as we did with Lee Sinnott. We've never been a club who can refuse the big cash, especially when it represents a step up for the player. Having done that though, we'd have not released Grigg and Brandy unless really silly money came in. If Buckley had lost Preece and Shakespeare as well as Sinnott I doubt very much whether the Milk Cup run would have happened. Of course in the wake of that run we did have some cash and chose a Dave Bamber over a John Aldridge. That would represent the kind of choice Smith might have. Do you go for a centre forward with physical presence or a fox with a brain to compliment the football that goes on around him? Buckley got it wrong, I'd hope Smith doesn't if he gets the opportunity.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:49 pm

leics_saddler wrote:
What is required is to freshen up the line up, a bit of squad rotation wouldn't go amiss in the forward and midfield areas.

I agree.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm

PT wrote:Good post Leic. I think the comparison with the early 80's holds up on all fronts. The handicap that Smith has that Buckley didn't is the modern day rules around player registration and freedom of movement. I think we would have taken the Paterson money in the early 80's as we did with Lee Sinnott. We've never been a club who can refuse the big cash, especially when it represents a step up for the player. Having done that though, we'd have not released Grigg and Brandy unless really silly money came in. If Buckley had lost Preece and Shakespeare as well as Sinnott I doubt very much whether the Milk Cup run would have happened. Of course in the wake of that run we did have some cash and chose a Dave Bamber over a John Aldridge. That would represent the kind of choice Smith might have. Do you go for a centre forward with physical presence or a fox with a brain to compliment the football that goes on around him? Buckley got it wrong, I'd hope Smith doesn't if he gets the opportunity.

Smith signed Jarvis, THE worst player to have ever worn a Walsall shirt, pure and utter cack. A donkey would definitely have been better.

But he's still learning which bodes well for when he signs this Fox you're talking about. He certainly will need a mossive brain to come up with the goals that the incredible football all around him can't produce.

Preece was sold, no?

PT
Site Addict

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm

saddlerken wrote:
PT wrote:Good post Leic. I think the comparison with the early 80's holds up on all fronts. The handicap that Smith has that Buckley didn't is the modern day rules around player registration and freedom of movement. I think we would have taken the Paterson money in the early 80's as we did with Lee Sinnott. We've never been a club who can refuse the big cash, especially when it represents a step up for the player. Having done that though, we'd have not released Grigg and Brandy unless really silly money came in. If Buckley had lost Preece and Shakespeare as well as Sinnott I doubt very much whether the Milk Cup run would have happened. Of course in the wake of that run we did have some cash and chose a Dave Bamber over a John Aldridge. That would represent the kind of choice Smith might have. Do you go for a centre forward with physical presence or a fox with a brain to compliment the football that goes on around him? Buckley got it wrong, I'd hope Smith doesn't if he gets the opportunity.

Smith signed Jarvis, THE worst player to have ever worn a Walsall shirt, pure and utter cack. A donkey would definitely have been better.

But he's still learning which bodes well for when he signs this Fox you're talking about. He certainly will need a mossive brain to come up with the goals that the incredible football all around him can't produce.

Preece was sold, no?

Eventually, to a club two leagues up for decent money - not because his contract expired and he could walk out to a club at the same level.

Every manager we've ever had signed crap players at some point. Buckley signed Ollie Kearns and Julian Marshall.

I hope Smith is still learning, just as we all should keep learning. I'm sure Ferguson would say he never stopped learning. What changes is that tolerance for naivity quite rightly disappears after a bit, so Smith shouldn't be making the same mistakes he was three years ago. Which on the whole he isn't- as evidenced by your point about Jarvis.

m&m
Glitterati

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Totally agree with Mal.
O,donnel is the biggest concern for me.Should have saved the first goal and again refused to come and clear what lead to the second.
Considering vale,s keeper was making his debut he looked far superior.
When the line ups were read out I thought they had signed Sam Johnstone who we had last year.If only we could get him back!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:41 pm

It hit him for the first goal, so he probably should save it. However Butler completley missed the defensive header.

Second goal was just rubbish defending.

Goals http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9 ... -port-vale

I have a new admiration for James Chambers now, he has NEVER scored? Surely cant be true? He is one of us. :lol:

Mal
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Opinions are fine but I still stick by my assertion that O'Donnel is the weak link and he struggles in making decision thus creating indecision in fornt of him

The 2nd goal on Saturday was booted clear by Butler from the six yard box, if the goalie did what I see as his job it would be in his hands thus no second phase and no goal

I juts don't rate him having given him nr 20 games and see th egoals we have conceded are related to his indecision and lack of commanding his box

Good shot stopper and kicking is good but it is when under pressure and decisions needed he is lacking

I hope he improves but jsut my view

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Mal wrote:Good shot stopper and kicking is good but it is when under pressure and decisions needed he is lacking

With respect, how many League One goalies do you know of who don't have at least one of those as a weakness?

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 am

how many of the ODonnell critics are influenced by the fact he was playing for Stockport 12 months ago

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

He's typical of most League One goalies in that he has the odd weakness... that's why he's in League One. He also has lots of strengths and if you were at the Custard Bowl for the league game, you could see the potential in him. Give him time, and if he carries on learning, he'll be fine.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 am

I would like our midfield/attack to set up like this for a game;

......Featherstone...Chambers..............

Westcarr........Sawyers.............Hemmings

....................Hewitt..........................

Westcarr has probably the best delivery in the team going forward, so I would have no problem pushing him out wide.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I would like our midfield/attack to set up like this for a game;

Westcarr has probably the best delivery in the team going forward, so I would have no problem pushing him out wide.

no mantom? brave.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:58 am

I'm sorry for the believers but.......I forewarned you....There will be several of our players who have being given longer contracts in the recent past.......Sold at the first offer.......I and most have seen it happen over the bonser years far too often....UTS.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I would like our midfield/attack to set up like this for a game;

about Row D should be fine...

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 am

wfc & chips wrote:

no mantom? brave.

A couple of average games, think he needs a rest to take stock and comeback firing all cylinders.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 am

Drifting inside to the back post to leap like a salmon and head in a Hemmings cross.

Sexy. The mongs would still hate him

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:

no mantom? brave.

A couple of average games, think he needs a rest to take stock and comeback firing all cylinders.

i thought he didn't start the season in great form, but he kept featherstone out then. i would be interested in seeing your central partnership.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm

latviancheese wrote:

Drifting inside to the back post to leap like a salmon and head in a Hemmings cross.

think about your argument for a second. you're inventing an unlikely scenario to criticize those who don't share your new-found adoration of westcarr. i think.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
latviancheese wrote:

think about your argument for a second. you're inventing an unlikely scenario to criticize those who don't share your new-found adoration of westcarr. i think.

Why is it unlikely? He has 9 goals this season.

Or was it the salmon bit?

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season