Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League One Tuesday 26th Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield United (A) League One Tuesday 26th Nov 7.45pm

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 pm

As Dean Smith said after the Peterboro game "The first goal is important..." BECAUSE If Walsall don't score the first goal then they are unlikely to win, as Walsall struggle to score more than one goal.... 0-1 down the most can be hoped for is the draw.

But a team who understands that the aim of football is to score as many goals as possible to deny the chance of winning to the opposition who can easily score more than one goal....then that sort of team will still have ambitions of winning a game.

A draw at Sheff. Utd. being a big team is perhaps a good result, normally would be...but Sheff. Utd are doing badly this season and it is one of those games that needs to be won if Play offs are hoped for but without the ambition to score more than one goal, without the recognition of attacking weakness then play offs will not be coming.

Good to have come back, good to have only conceded from a penalty...but frustrating that goalscoring inability results in a non-win if falling a goal behind.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Sheff UTD seem to be a real bogey team for us at their place seem to be quite a few draws or just scraped losses on a tuesday night in recent memory,
I think a pt from Bramail Lane is not to be taken lightly they do still have lot of quality in their team and a strong manager in Clough who was paying us respect in his pre match interviews.

I think I was probably more dissapointed with the crawley result then this result but still picking up points all helps and besides the league is still so open at this point on the season We could end up anywhere I think we just need that little bit of consistency as we seem to be varying in performance from game to game but I have really good feeling about this team this season it just seems to work so well and there is a good spirit to the team, you don't see heads drop and confidence go very often and really that's a credit to Deano he is getting a lot out of these players when lets be honest some of them looked pretty average when they first came, but the coaching seems to of brought a lot out of them.

Question is who do you play Saturday now we are back at home does Sawyers take Featherstones place again or does he keep an unchanged side?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm

We did OK tonight. It's a good feeling to watch Walsall playing away and expecting us to win. Most of the football was played by us but we rarely troubled their keeper. They huffed and puffed but rarely threatened us.

How the ref didnt award them a penalty was baffling, however, the one he did award was harsh. Handball yes but no way deliberate.

Bostin goal from Westy, but apart from that we hardly created anything. I would have liked to see Saywers on a bit earlier as they were there for the taking.

Overall, neither team did enough to win.

UTS

rogerem
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Craig makes a few good points, Chester's revelations confirm we need a Striker.
Absolutely no doubt, why wait?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Walsall's striker scores... We need a striker.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 pm

rogerem wrote:Craig makes a few good points, Chester's revelations confirm we need a Striker.
Absolutely no doubt, why wait?

Westcarr had one chance tonight and scored from it. See it on the video and you will agree it was a good goal. We hardly created a goalscoring opportunity - we didn't squander chances.
Last edited by chestersaddler on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Lessons from tonights results apart from again not being in the play off positions due to inability to score more than one goal:-

Shrewsbury Town 1 Oldham Athletic 2

LESSON: Oldham were losing 0-1 but came back and won because they scored more than one goal. Lesson...you need to score more than one goal in some games to win.

Carlisle Utd 2 Crewe ALexandra 1
LESSON: Carlisle went up 2-0 and Crewe scored 1 late goal. Carlisle Won because they scored more than one goal. Crewe lost because they were only able to score one goal. Lesson....you need to score more than one goal in some games to win.

Lesson we get from both the above games. It is NOT ABOUT scoring "...The first goal..." as we have a team who won while leading and a team who won while trailing. i.e. the key issue is SCORING MORE GOALS THAN THE OPPOSITION. Not the FIRST GOAL but MORE GOALS.

Colchester Utd 3 MK Dons 1. Lesson Colchester were leading and remained the winners because.....? THAT'S RIGHT...you got it....because they scored....? MORE THAN ONE GOAL.....are we learning now? Or do we still think the main thing is to score the first goal or just pass the ball about without the immediate intention of creation many goalscoring chances?

Brentford 3 Peterboro Utd 2 Brentford were winning 2 - 1 (because they scored more than one goal) but Brentford won....why? Because they scored MORE THAN TWO GOALS...and MORE THAN THE OPPOSITION. Note the there was an own goal in the game.....another reason to score many, as accidental and 'unlucky' goals can be scored against you. Note, Brentford did not win because they scored the first goal...they won because they scored MORE GOALS.

This enough for today's lesson on the logic of scoring goals to win football matches.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:03 pm

What a prize condescending twonk you're proving yourself to be. I think you're a reincarnation of Dumb Tempus Halitosis..... :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm

"You have to score more goals than the opposition"......well, who'd have thought it?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm

ANOTHER STATS LESSON from tonight's results in League One (League One....that doesn't mean you are only allowed to score one goal in this division) :-
7 teams scored 1 goal...none of them won.

12 teams scored 2 or more goals...only 2 of those teams lost.

4 teams scored 3 goals.....they all won.

LESSON....the more goals you score, the more likely you are to win. I know that is a very difficult concept to grasp for some managers, players and supporters. But keep checking the stats and questioning the logic, you will find it to be quite reliable.

But for a correct and undeniable football maxim.......score more goals than the opposition then you will win.

Let us remind ourselves of the aim of the game.....THAT'S RIGHT.....SCORE MORE GOALS THAN THE OPPOSITION

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Never going to complain about a point at Brammall Lane, but can't help but think the last 4 days has been a bit if a wasted opportunity. The frustrating thing is, we'd have been better off winning one and losing the other.

No offence, but that's one of the phrases that really sets my teeth on edge. It just doesn't make any sense. Of course it would be better to win one and lose one, but who goes out to play like that? So - you win the first game and then you think 'OK, might as well chuck this next game now because we'll still have done better than drawing both games' ? We try to win every game we play, just because doesn't pan out like that doesn't mean we'd have more success playing a different style. The phrase seems to suggest we can turn up and win games at will, and that in an ideal world we'd choose to win only 50% of our games. For some reason.

Blimey, tetchy or what?! It's a hypothetical point - nothing more, and nothing less. And it doesn't suggest we can turn up and win games at will at all.

We're consistent - which is a good thing. We're hard to beat - which is also a good thing. But if there's one thing we're not, it's clinical - and that might be what ends up meaning we can't quite break into the top six. Consequently, you could argue that if we went for the jugular a bit more often, we might end up losing a few, but we might also end up turning a few draws into wins.

For the record, I've never sung the praises of a Walsall side as much as I have this one. But, as I've already said, I can't help but feel we've missed an opportunity this week.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:"You have to score more goals than the opposition"......well, who'd have thought it?

Some people don't think it enough. People need to put it at the forefront of their mind, at the center of their focus...so they can chase it like a donkey following a carrot on a grindmill.

You would be surprised how easily the aim of the game is lost while putting the main emphasis on other things.

Bruce Forsyth is also needed at the club to teach some other things to chairman, management, players and supporters....and specifically we need him to ask:-

"What do points make?"

and you all collectively say "PRIZES!"

SWS1

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm

To be fair, Sallian, in a very roundabout way, is making the point that we need to score more goals and, although it doesn't seem to be true of tonight's match, increase our ratio of goals-to-chances. Apparently, we had 24 attempts against Peterborough - and scored TWO; that's a rubbish ratio. A bit more clinical in front of goal and we'd be pushing for the top three. It's great that we're playing such attractive football but we do need to be a bit more ruthless.
Of course, I know little enough about football and I have no idea how to engender such attitudes and develop such skills - but I've an idea Deano and his team do have some idea and they've done a terrific job so far. Give 'em time. :D
UTS!

SWS1

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:"You have to score more goals than the opposition"......well, who'd have thought it?

Some people don't think it enough. People need to put it at the forefront of their mind, at the center of their focus...so they can chase it like a donkey following a carrot on a grindmill.

You would be surprised how easily the aim of the game is lost while putting the main emphasis on other things.

Bruce Forsyth is also needed at the club to teach some other things to chairman, management, players and supporters....and specifically we need him to ask:-

"What do points make?"

and you all collectively say "PRIZES!"

Bruce Forsyth? It weren't him, were it? :?

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

sallian wrote:Lessons from tonights results apart from again not being in the play off positions due to inability to score more than one goal:-

Shrewsbury Town 1 Oldham Athletic 2

LESSON: Oldham were losing 0-1 but came back and won because they scored more than one goal. Lesson...you need to score more than one goal in some games to win.

Carlisle Utd 2 Crewe ALexandra 1
LESSON: Carlisle went up 2-0 and Crewe scored 1 late goal. Carlisle Won because they scored more than one goal. Crewe lost because they were only able to score one goal. Lesson....you need to score more than one goal in some games to win.

Lesson we get from both the above games. It is NOT ABOUT scoring "...The first goal..." as we have a team who won while leading and a team who won while trailing. i.e. the key issue is SCORING MORE GOALS THAN THE OPPOSITION. Not the FIRST GOAL but MORE GOALS.

Colchester Utd 3 MK Dons 1. Lesson Colchester were leading and remained the winners because.....? THAT'S RIGHT...you got it....because they scored....? MORE THAN ONE GOAL.....are we learning now? Or do we still think the main thing is to score the first goal or just pass the ball about without the immediate intention of creation many goalscoring chances?

Brentford 3 Peterboro Utd 2 Brentford were winning 2 - 1 (because they scored more than one goal) but Brentford won....why? Because they scored MORE THAN TWO GOALS...and MORE THAN THE OPPOSITION. Note the there was an own goal in the game.....another reason to score many, as accidental and 'unlucky' goals can be scored against you. Note, Brentford did not win because they scored the first goal...they won because they scored MORE GOALS.

This enough for today's lesson on the logic of scoring goals to win football matches.

You massively get on my tits, but I'm going to bite anyway.

Our record this season when scoring the first goal (all competitions):
W 9, D 1, L 0

Our record this season when not scoring the first goal (all competitions):
W 0, D 6, L 6

Seems pretty conclusive evidence that the first goal is quite important in our games :roll: When we do, teams are unable to SCORE MORE THAN ONE GOAL, or sometimes NO GOAL AT ALL in order to be able to take points off us. Notts County are the only team to have conceded first against us and not come out of the game with sweet FA. In contrast, Rotherham, Leyton Orient, Colchester and Sheffield United (and Wolves in the JPT if you discount the shootout as I've done in the stats above) all scored first against us and failed to win, because they COULDN'T STOP US FROM SCORING.

Breaking those games up by a different criteria

Our record this season when scoring a goal at any time during the game:
W 9, D 6, L 1 (the loss was against Stoke in the Cup)

Our record this season when not conceding a goal:
W 5, D 1, L 0

Considering this mythical problem we have with scoring goals, tonight is the first match where we've kept a clean sheet and failed to win, and we haven't yet lost a league game we've scored in. Would suggest to me that keeping them out at the other end is equally important, as if you're not conceding then you're not going to lose and SOMETIMES YOU DO ONLY NEED ONE GOAL TO WIN.

It also suggests that when Deano points out the first goal is important it's actually him who knows what he's talking about, and not you.
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Go back a year and remember the dismal run we were on....and contrast that with the latest odds from the people who generally know the realities of the situation ---------

As things stand right now, BetVictor are offering 2/5 (Yes, that's five to two ON) that Walsall will finish in the top half of the table. If odds like that had been published last November there would have been howls of disbelief, and I think certain posters should "man up" and see the huge improvements that have been made by the combined efforts of management and players.

It's also worth bearing in mind that most of the improvements seen have occurred THIS SEASON - the fact that I got 11/4 on us back in July finishing in the top half by next May is very revealing. Incidentally our odds of making the top six are also shortening.

Oh, and scoring more goals than Tom, Dick or Harry doesn't automatically bring manna from heaven - Peterborough have scored seven more League goals than we have, and they've just lost their fifth game on the trot - now which would you rather have?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Thought we were very average in the first half, passed it around a lot in our own half but nothing creative in theirs. (Thought our 2nd half on Saturday was much better even though we didnt score) Superb clearance off the goal-line by Andy Butler & then I have rarely seen a more definite penalty than the one they weren't given. Think the ref gave the handball one because of his earlier decision.
Then a superb classy cross with pace & accuracy by Baxendale for Westcarr to power in an unstoppable header. I thought we would go on from there to win it but we rather fizzled out after that. At least we didn't play for a draw towards the end but were let down by giving their goalie a bit too much catching practice.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm

SWS1 wrote:To be fair, Sallian, in a very roundabout way, is making the point that we need to score more goals and, although it doesn't seem to be true of tonight's match, increase our ratio of goals-to-chances. Apparently, we had 24 attempts against Peterborough - and scored TWO; that's a rubbish ratio. A bit more clinical in front of goal and we'd be pushing for the top three. It's great that we're playing such attractive football but we do need to be a bit more ruthless.
Of course, I know little enough about football and I have no idea how to engender such attitudes and develop such skills - but I've an idea Deano and his team do have some idea and they've done a terrific job so far. Give 'em time. :D
UTS!

yes they are not clinical enough in finishing but the problem is deeper than that, if you analyze the strategy and philosophy coming out of their statements...

They are actually not dedicated enough to maximize goalscoring chances. They are too content with a low yield of goals scored and low amount of chances created. A change in their mentality, ambition and focus would make a big difference.

Yes 24 chances in Peterboro game.....and some bad sloppy misses, but i was not annoyed by the misses so much. It was more annoying that they were happy to score so few goals and that they could have made another bunch of chances if more dedicated to scoring many goals. They squandered so many good chances to attack. It was that game which gave me confidence the play offs will not be made. Annoying why? Because the play offs could have been made with all the other good attributes that Dean Smith has brought about. He has lessened his managerial talent impact by his lack of attacking ambition and focus. He has been very strong in other areas and has many natural attributes of character (I think based on what I have seen of him and I saw his first few games for Walsall as a player), if he made these adjustments...he would be one of best managers in history of Walsall maybe.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:...Considering this mythical problem we have with scoring goals...

There is no myth...it is factual. Walsall are not in the play off positions because they do not score enough goals. They don't win games they should. Walsall's attack is quite weak. Not enough chances are created or converted.

This is why I included supporters as a target of my sarcasm. Because from reading the board I see that Dean Smith is not only one who doesn't understand.

You can't win a game 0-0 (nil - nil).

You can't base a game on NOT CONCEEDING GOALS....yes you try to have the best defence possible and Walsall have a good defence and defend well as a team, thanks to Dean Smith.

But no matter how good the defence is, you are likely to let goals in in games...OFTEN MORE THAN ONE.

Because goals can be scored in many ways (speed, skill, bullet unstoppable shots, unlucky slips and mistakes, unfair penalties and free kicks etc) So you can't base your strategy on 'one goal is enough' as you will often fail in that even if you play and defend well! And 90mins is a long time for a good team to score one or two goals.

YOU ALSO should not put into your team....that 'ITS IMPORTANT To SCORE THE FIRST GOAL!' This will then create a mentality that they will struggle to win if they go a goal down!

Rather the mentality should be, let us try and score many goals and defend well....and if we even go 3 goals down WE MUST STILL TRY AND WIN

Think about this....If the strikers were offered a bonus of £10,000 per goal do you think their mentality, drive and effort would be the same?

If the team were told that they will get doubled salaries if they start scoring double the amount of goals...do you think their goalscoring ambition would remain the same?

Now guess what Mr Low Goal Ambition and Mr Agree with Dean Smith's erroneous first goal mentality....

The team WILL get more financial reward if they score more goals as too will the strikers....as all of their success and value will increase.

Low ambition and drive = LOW YIELD, LOW RESULTS

Create more chances = More goals

Intend and focus on creating more chances = more chances created

How many ways are there to create chances? MANY, MANY WAYS

How many ways are their to improve a strikers goalscoring ability? MANY WAYS...both mental and technique-wise.

sallian
Glitterati

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Another thing about Barcelona/Spain that some people want Walsall imitating...

Spain were quite fortunate a couple of times....The attacking, dynamic Germany were and are a better team than them. Germany should have won two of the tournaments that Spain won.

Germany made the mistake of changing their strategy and style for some of the games they failed in, such as against Spain and Italy.

And Germany even too had the wrong mentality on the occasion of beating England 4-1.... Germany could have won that game something like 7 or 8-1. But they decided to take their foot off the gas for the last 20 minutes of the game.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:06 am

Bringing in a more clinical and goal driven striker could also benefit all the strikers...as :-

i) they might learn from him and..

ii) his goalscoring might motivate them all to score more goals and be more tenacious and focused in front of goal

Just as Dean Smith makes other players compete to raise their levels.....at the moment someone scores one in three games and it makes him seem prolific as few goals are being scored altogether

HaarlemPaul

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:07 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:354 travelling Saddlers.

353... + 1 dutchie ;-)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:11 am

Were you on the left-hand side?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 am

Not long back.

Highlight of the night for me was the goal, the only thing Baxendale and Westcarr did and it was the thing that earned us a point.

Shows how far we've come under Smith that I'm slightly underwhelmed at our performance, certainly attacking anyway. The defence were all outstanding partcularly Downing and Butler who headed away every hoof that came there way (trust me, there were plenty). We were poor in the first half, Lalkovic and Baxendale poor out wide and Westcarr not retaining the ball meant we struggled to create or keep the ball high up the pitch. We owe Butler and the ref to not have been 1 or 2 more goals down at half time, Buter's goal line clearance was exceptional.

Second half we started well but fizzled. Beautiful goal and some proper wing play from Bax. Lovely cushioned headed finish from Westcarr.

Thereafter, we created precisely and totally nothing. We never looked like losing which makes the fact we never looked like winning all the more frustrating.

Hemmings has to start, Lalkovic was poo and gave the ball away more than he kept it. Baxendale poor and mostly weak - lovely bit of skill for the goal. Westcarr, isolated in the most part but again not strong enough to play as the lone striker. Chambers and Mantom did okay but Featherstone got caught a couple of times and struggled passing it forwards. O'Donnell okay, all the 4 back impressive.

A decent point, but they were there for the taking. The blades fans -have you ever known a bunch whine so much in a game? Jeering and booing after 15 minutes.

I'm moving away from the 'We need a striker' to a 'we need better wingers or methods of creating chances'. We had 2 chances tonight and created precisely zilch. It's okayt to say 'we scored our chance' but will that happen every week? No.

Solid point, content.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:28 am

SaddlerCrewe wrote:Westcarr is certainly taking their defence on according to Matt Maher on the E&S live updates

"Great ball from Westcarr almost finds Westcarr but Collins strong to see the ball behind for a goal kick."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This just proves how quick he is.

HaarlemPaul

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 am

WarsawPact wrote:Were you on the left-hand side?

Nah mate, was passed over.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 am

sallian wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:...Considering this mythical problem we have with scoring goals...

There is no myth...it is factual. Walsall are not in the play off positions because they do not score enough goals. They don't win games they should. Walsall's attack is quite weak. Not enough chances are created or converted.

This is why I included supporters as a target of my sarcasm. Because from reading the board I see that Dean Smith is not only one who doesn't understand.

You can't base a game on NOT CONCEEDING GOALS....yes you try to have the best defence possible and Walsall have a good defence and defend well as a team, thanks to Dean Smith.

But no matter how good the defence is, you are likely to let goals in in games...OFTEN MORE THAN ONE.

Because goals can be scored in many ways (speed, skill, bullet unstoppable shots, unlucky slips and mistakes, unfair penalties and free kicks etc) So you can't base your strategy on 'one goal is enough' as you will often fail in that even if you play and defend well! And 90mins is a long time for a good team to score one or two goals.

YOU ALSO should not put into your team....that 'ITS IMPORTANT To SCORE THE FIRST GOAL!' This will then create a mentality that they will struggle to win if they go a goal down!

Rather the mentality should be, let us try and score many goals and defend well....and if we even go 3 goals down WE MUST STILL TRY AND WIN

Think about this....If the strikers were offered a bonus of £10,000 per goal do you think their mentality, drive and effort would be the same?

If the team were told that they will get doubled salaries if they start scoring double the amount of goals...do you think their goalscoring ambition would remain the same?

Now guess what Mr Low Goal Ambition and Mr Agree with Dean Smith's erroneous first goal mentality....

The team WILL get more financial reward if they score more goals as too will the strikers....as all of their success and value will increase.

How many ways are their to improve a strikers goalscoring ability? MANY WAYS...both mental and technique-wise.

Thank you for the earth shattering observation that throwing money at things yields better results. If I ever have an exam on stating the bleedin' obvious I'll gladly take tuition from you.

P.S. If you want to stump up the cash for this experiment don't let me stop you.

In the meantime I'm more than happy with Dean Smith and Walsall's overall performance so far this season.

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:10 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:

Thank you for the earth shattering observation that throwing money at things yields better results. If I ever have an exam on stating the bleedin' obvious I'll gladly take tuition from you.

P.S. If you want to stump up the cash for this experiment don't let me stop you.

In the meantime I'm more than happy with Dean Smith and Walsall's overall performance so far this season.

UTS

Mr Sarcasm but Missed the Point....you missed the point or points.

I was not saying we need to throw money at anything. The money point was actually about.....that changes in mentality can be made and that the mentality is wrong at the moment.

If a money motive could change the player's drive, performance, results etc...then it means it is possible for them to improve.

The manager is happy with one goal, the first goal especially...so they don't have the pressure to score more.

And the team is generally happy with a low goal tally, as long as they get close or get something out of games or win narrowly. It is the wrong attitude.

And it is the difference between being a very successful team and a mediocre team.

Successful treams, managers and players don't have superhuman abilities.....they have different levels of ambition, dedication and a mentality of maximization.

Maybe the people on this board need to read some 'positive thinking' books or something...

You may have heard of something called 'Sports Psychology'....its not a load of nonsense, some of it might be.

If you want to do better 'RAISE YOUR STANDARDS'

If any of you really wanted Walsall to succeed, you would print out all of my posts and send them to Dean Smith and the team. And if after a couple of weeks they transformed their performances to 5-0 victories.... You can all give me £50 each and call me sir...and then come and ask me for advice for other problems you are having...which may also need the application of rare intelligence and powers of analysis to remedy them.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 am

Sadders wrote:I'm moving away from the 'We need a striker' to a 'we need better wingers or methods of creating chances'. We had 2 chances tonight and created precisely zilch. It's okayt to say 'we scored our chance' but will that happen every week? No.

Yes exactly, it is not just about the absence of a more prolific finisher...but it is about chance creation.

Often not enough people charge into the box when the opportunity arises

passes are often delayed too much

Tryng to beat men or one too many men when the ball can simply be delivered without that

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:22 am

Can it just be said that

Defence wins Championships - offense wins games

therefore given we currently have the joint second best defensive record in league give lets all give credit where credit is due , once again we have a team to be proud of.

And remember you only have to score one goal to win a game - so if we only score 50 or so in a season that will be fine by me. Were a club playing by the rules, living within our means , producing some good players, that in itself is something to be proud of nowadays.

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season