Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (A) League One Saturday 24th Nov 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Crawley Town (A) League One Saturday 24th Nov 3pm

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:10 pm

We won it on points, but couldn't put the ball in the net. Westcarr did have 3 good chances, hit the post, skyed one and keeper saved the other from a couple of yards. Milan also skyed a good chance.

Their numbers 4 & 5 at centre back were lumps, but we kept putting the ball on their heads.Hewitt was the only one to compete with them and he only had 5 minutes.

Oh well it's an away point I suppose, but I think they were there for the taking if we had better finishing.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Last 8 league games:
Us 8 goals, Oppo 7 goals
Us 11pts, Oppo 11pts
Us 121 shots, Oppo 60 shots

I know the BBC/PA shot tally is flawed but I think in this situation it tells a story. If our finishing was as good as the rest of our play, we'd be comfortably in the playoffs. In fact we'd probably be third. It's frustrating and I'm not going to blame Westcarr for it because it's Smith's decision to put it right (just as it was Smith's decision to keep Taundry in the team for so long last year). There aren't loads of strikers out there who we could sign, but we could at least give Troy Hewitt a proper run up front. Oh well, let's see where we are come the middle of January when we host Brentford. Before then we play Sheff U (twice), Vale, Shrewsbury, Carlisle, Bristol City, Gillingham, Oldham and Tranmere. An appealing run of fixtures.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 pm

bangsection wrote:
PT wrote:A bit frustrating but another clean sheet and another point is decent. Let's beat Vale next week and we're well in the hunt.

Can we beat Sheffield United first? :wink:

Will Brandy be back from suspension for the game :?:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:12 pm

bangsection wrote:
PT wrote:A bit frustrating but another clean sheet and another point is decent. Let's beat Vale next week and we're well in the hunt.

Oh ar. :oops:

Yes we can.

Brandy still suspended I think as it was his second red and therefore five games.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Good away point

Why? they are a middle of the table team, they've only scored 1 league goal in over a month, conceded 9 and picked up 1 point from 15. They are obviously rubbish as is our strike force.

Exactly, a good away point.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Last 8 league games:
Us 8 goals, Oppo 7 goals
Us 11pts, Oppo 11pts

I know the BBC/PA shot tally is flawed but I think in this situation it tells a story. If our finishing was as good as the rest of our play, we'd be comfortably in the playoffs. In fact we'd probably be third. It's frustrating and I'm not going to blame Westcarr for it because it's Smith's decision to put it right (just as it was Smith's decision to keep Taundry in the team for so long last year). There aren't loads of strikers out there who we could sign, but we could at least give Troy Hewitt a proper run up front. Oh well, let's see where we are come the middle of January when we host Brentford. Before then we play Sheff U (twice), Vale, Shrewsbury, Carlisle, Bristol City, Gillingham, Oldham and Tranmere. An appealing run of fixtures.

You're right. We need a striker. Westcarr's general game is great but he needs a lot of chances to score which is why he has eight goals - he plays in a team that creates a lot of chances.

Smith knows - it's just that getting a proven goalscorer who can fit into our style and spirit would cost an absolute fortune. We've undoubtedly got some money knocking around but whether it is £50k or £500k it is small change when it comes to the market for footballing, goal scoring centre forwards.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Cully wrote:

Why? they are a middle of the table team, they've only scored 1 league goal in over a month, conceded 9 and picked up 1 point from 15. They are obviously rubbish as is our strike force.

Because we are Walsall and this is exactly the sort of match we always seem to lose.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:19 pm

PT wrote:
bangsection wrote:

Oh ar. :oops:

Yes we can.

Brandy still suspended I think as it was his second red and therefore five games.

He got a 4 match ban and his last match to miss will be against us on Tuesday when we will probably lose unless we sign a striker or they play without a keeper.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Cully wrote:

Because we are Walsall and this is exactly the sort of match we always seem to lose.

I never realised that matches against teams with those impressive statistics and a funny name were so predictable that we can normally expect defeat. Having being empowered with that fact then the point we achieved is perhaps the highlight of our season and I will charge my glass in glorious celebration this evening. I fully expect us to thrash Sheffield United on Tuesday night in the sort of match that we normally win or something like that.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:36 pm

It's great that Deano has raised expectations so much since he got the job but some people need to get a donald grip. If not getting promotion equals a "wasted season" then you've missed the whole point and you'd have a far less frustrating time or dare I say you'd "waste" far less time following Walsall.

Well done to Adam and James. Horrible time for them but sounds like both had their usual reliable games.

It is a wasted season if greater success could easily be achieved by recognizing some obvious things and dealing with them. If you have low expectations then you are part of the problem not the solution. It is the same mentality that allows strikers, midfielders to continuously make the same mistakes with no road to improvement.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Cully wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Cully wrote:

I never realised that matches against teams with those impressive statistics and a funny name were so predictable that we can normally expect defeat. Having being empowered with that fact then the point we achieved is perhaps the highlight of our season and I will charge my glass in glorious celebration this evening.I fully expect us to thrash Sheffield United on Tuesday night in the sort of match that we normally win or something like that.

You're getting the hang of it :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Cully wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Cully wrote:

I never realised that matches against teams with those impressive statistics and a funny name were so predictable that we can normally expect defeat. Having being empowered with that fact then the point we achieved is perhaps the highlight of our season and I will charge my glass in glorious celebration this evening.I fully expect us to thrash Sheffield United on Tuesday night in the sort of match that we normally win or something like that.

You're getting the hang of it :wink:

I'm a slow learner :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:40 pm

A decent point, IMO, as will something similar at Bramall Lane [although I expect us to go for the win, obviously], particularly after their beating of The Wurzels at Ashton Gate today.

A great season so far, playing really excellent football. Goals will come with this team, and if we can find the right striker to fit into our pattern of play I'm sure DS will get one.

Onwards and upwards.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Beating Peterborough on Monday night was Graydon-esque.

Today's game against Crawley was precisely the kind of game a Graydon team would have taken 3 points from.

Consistency in front of goal is still our big problem.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm

PT wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Last 8 league games:
Us 8 goals, Oppo 7 goals
Us 11pts, Oppo 11pts

You're right. We need a striker. Westcarr's general game is great but he needs a lot of chances to score which is why he has eight goals - he plays in a team that creates a lot of chances.

Smith knows - it's just that getting a proven goalscorer who can fit into our style and spirit would cost an absolute fortune. We've undoubtedly got some money knocking around but whether it is £50k or £500k it is small change when it comes to the market for footballing, goal scoring centre forwards.

Yes a proven striker at league level is probably below the means....But there is no-one signable or tryable who is more proficient than the current strike force? No one in the many lower leagues? No youth anywhere in any team and anywhere? There are hundreds of strikers from the age of 17yrs upwards who would do better than the current strikers...and maybe some who are age 35+ who would do better. Don't need someone proven at this level, just need someone who is more capable and put them on the pitch....if they don't manage to score when they should after a few games, give someone else a chance.

There is no way no-one is avaliable....there are MANY available, they just need to be found and invited. But they will not be found and invited if management do not admit that some are not cutting it.

Another way forward...more striking practise for some people and more ambition to score goals.

If the expectations and ambitions are low....for sure the results will be lacking.

I hated this Smith statement of "...Its important to score the first goal..." (Why...shouldn't we still try to win and outscore the opposition even if they scored 2 or 3 goals first?)

For all of his excellent qualities and achievements this is the one thing that is badly wrong about his philosophy and it is preventing him from much greater success.

Richard O Kelly was not a prolific goalscorer himself so maybe he has low expectations of the strikeforce too.

I know they lean towards encouragement, which is right...but they need to add high ambition to that man-management mix.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
sallian wrote:Lalkovic shoots 'too high' this is a common thread in Walsall shooting.

As seeing as there doesn't seem to be much advice rectifying this from the coaches, I will give some:-

1) Get your knee almost over the ball

2) keep your toes pointed down

3) keep your head down

4) don't lean back

5) strike the ball in the centre

6) follow through pointing towards the goal

Towards which goal?

True. If we really want to be cynical then perhaps they need to not aim for the goal and they might be more accurate :)

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:04 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Beating Peterborough on Monday night was Graydon-esque.

Today's game against Crawley was precisely the kind of game a Graydon team would have taken 3 points from.

Consistency in front of goal is still our big problem.

No not consistency. As they are consistently poor in front of goal. Peterboro game proved that, made 24 chances and scored 2.....and that doesn't tell the whole story as they should have made another 10+ good chances if t wasn't for poor passes and walking into players etc.

They need to actually start off a game with the ambition, drive, determination and final third urgency....to score MANY GOALS.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Dean Smith should learn this lesson from today's results.

Crewe Alexandra 1 Port Vale 2

(Crewe scored first, but Port Vale still won because they scored MORE THAN ONE GOAL)

MK Dons 2 Bradford City 3

(Bradford were drawing the game 1-1...but they didn't draw or lose because they scored MORE THAN TWO GOALS)

Swindon Town 1 Leyton Orient 3

(Leyton Orient were losing 0-1, but they didn't lose or draw because they scored MORE THAN ONE GOAL)

So what is the very elusive and intellectually difficult lesson we can derive from this, with much deep thought, decades of experience, pages of statistical analysis and mathematical equations? That's right.......Score as many goals as possible and you have more chance of winning, because the opposition can always score....as we must assume that is what they are trying to do.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Another lesson we learn....If we had won, we would have 28 points and be in the play off positions.

But we are not now in the play off positions, because.....WE DID NOT SCORE.

3 shots on target = 1 shot on target every 30 minutes.

1 shot on target in 30 mins = 1/3 of a shot on target every 10 minutes.

How will we ever score with a third of a shot on target? :)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:25 pm

329 Saddlers in a crowd of 3,296 at Checkatrade.com Stadium.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Out of 17 matches in 6 we have scored ZERO and in 7 we have scored just 1 goal.

In only 4 matches out of 17 have we scored more than on goal.

Only 2 of these 7 'single goal' scoring matches ended in a victory.

These statistics are are shouting something very LOUD.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:329 Saddlers in a crowd of 3,296 at Checkatrade.com Stadium.

That's a good turnout, I was going to go but saw the ground was so small I thought I might not fit inside.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 pm

sallian wrote:

That's a good turnout, I was going to go but saw the ground was so small I thought I might not fit inside.

You would have warmed the crowd up though.
All that hot air....

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

SaddlerCrewe wrote:
sallian wrote:

You would have warmed the crowd up though.
All that hot air....

No I stay more quiet in in the actual games I attend, unless they score...in which case I shout '"YES" very loud and very wildly and prolonged....as it doesn't happen that often so kind of feels like winning a rare prize or the lottery. All the years of suffering 0-0 and 0-1 losses etc and not seeing them score. It causes a volcano of emotion and frustration release. But it damages my throat and vocal cords...so I might change it to the method of the young toff son of Richard Harris in the Wild Geese who says "I am so excited I don't know what to do" and Richard Harris says "Why don't you try screaming?" And the boy says in a posh etonian tone "Yahoooooooooooooooo"

at 3:05mins:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4AQPQWyVrg

Terradakphil

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:02 pm

What's with all the negativity on here today. Remember we are 8th in the league and have just grabbed a decent away point.
Almost exactly one year ago we were on one of our worst runs I can rembember, I was at the ricoh watching us loose 5-1, then going out the cup to a poor conference side
I'm off to sheffield on Tuesday which is very winable let's keep faith, this is one of my favourite seasons as a saddler for a long time and I think under Deano we have come along way.
UTS

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Happy with a point. Bring on Sheffield United on Tuesday.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm

No negativity from me, we are a very good side, but we are a goalscorer short of being a sure bet for the playoffs which is very frustrating. If only we'd have received a hefty transfer fee or 2 in the summer that would enable us to bring in a goalscorer!

It shows how many chances we are creating that Westcarr is on 8 goals, and yet fluffed a really good chance v Pboro, and from the sounds of it, fluffed 2 good chances today.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Terradakphil wrote:What's with all the negativity on here today. Remember we are 8th in the league and have just grabbed a decent away point.
Almost exactly one year ago we were on one of our worst runs I can rembember, I was at the ricoh watching us loose 5-1, then going out the cup to a poor conference side
I'm off to sheffield on Tuesday which is very winable let's keep faith, this is one of my favourite seasons as a saddler for a long time and I think under Deano we have come along way.
UTS

Everything is winnable but only if you score...if you don't score, nothing is winnable.

gray
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Sallian's point: We need to score more.

That will save you time reading his 300 posts today.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Terradakphil wrote:What's with all the negativity on here today. Remember we are 8th in the league and have just grabbed a decent away point.
UTS

There's really only one poster who is being negative.
And his posts seem to have a numerical relationship with the amount of goals we score :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season