Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Whitters wrote:
Sadders wrote:The entire team was 8/9 out of 10 - apart from Westcarr who was useless

Thanks for this.
I'm a busy person so not bothering to read your posts ever again will save me a few minutes each day.

Touche, shame this place don't offer an 'ignore poster' perk isn't it?

Useless was a tad excessive, but out of the 11 he stood out as the worst player.

Frequently live at games you see he could press higher on to loose balls and that his first touch/strength are pathetic - and they were last night.

He worked quite hard but otherwise, most things broke up through him. Even my 12 year old brother said 'your very good but that Westcarr is slow and can't control it'.

I had 3 people text me throughout the game 2, saying impressed with Sawyers but you need someone next to him and 1 live at the game saying 'Westcarr is beyond gash'.

Clearly my views aren't as deluded as you think.

Not taking anything away from the team though, superb performance.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Whitters wrote:
Sadders wrote:The entire team was 8/9 out of 10 - apart from Westcarr who was useless

Thanks for this.
I'm a busy person so not bothering to read your posts ever again will save me a few minutes each day.

I agree.

Yay! Best team in the world!

Oxsall

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:44 pm

I love Andy Butler's comment in the post match Sky interview, while saying how it's such a pleasure to be playing in a team playing such great football, that 'even I'm playing football which is a new thing'!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Thanks for this.

I agree.

Yay! Best team in the world!

That's three of us then.

Ironically, the commentary team on Sky last night made a point of saying how good a job Westcarr had done at occupying three centre halves on his own. Make of that what you will, Sadders.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Over five minutes of sexyness!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 409/report

That clip can be compared to the five minute previews I hear they have on some channels on Sky. I believe they are around the 900 mark on the Sky Index :)

Great performance - every player put in a shift and thoroughly deserved win.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:01 am

Sadders wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Thanks for this.

Touche, shame this place don't offer an 'ignore poster' perk isn't it?

It does but, as at Walsall, if you only view it on a superficial level you'll not see it. :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Really pleased to see that they are giving value for money,hopefully they will at least get into the play-offs, but its nice to see that they are entertaining most people i have spoken to and virtually everyone on UPS while waiting for a reward for their efforts. :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 pm

sid swifty wrote:Really pleased to see that they are giving value for money,hopefully they will at least get into the play-offs, but its nice to see that they are entertaining most people i have spoken to and virtually everyone on UPS while waiting for a reward for their efforts. :D

Well they are certainly delivering the goods.

SWS1

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Exile wrote:Had to go out for a meeting. Came back in thoroughly expecting a 1-1 or 1-2 scoreline, and very happy to see a 2-0 win instead. Well done the lads! On telly too. Looks like that curse has been lifted!

We beat Preston on the telly not long ago. No telly curse on us (despite the totally Barclays result against Shroos last season).

SWS1

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm

gray wrote:Well that was good. Should have been 4 or 5 at least. Missed penalty and Sawyers and Westcarr missing one on ones with the keeper. Still think we need to finish teams off a bit more but they don't come much better than Peterborough in this league so got to be happy. Onwards and upwards Saddlers!

Also I'm the first to criticise a ref so it's only fair to say that I don't think the guy put a foot wrong tonight.

Agree entirely with your remarks, Gray, particularly about the ref. It's refreshing to have a competent official at this level. More of 'em, please. :D

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:49 pm

On the subject of the referee, I too thought he had a very good game. I counted two mistakes all game, both happened within a few seconds of each other when the Peterborough players turned to trying to rugby tackle two of our players in the first half and he somehow gave 'boro the free kick. Other than that I don't think he put a foot wrong and let the game flow superbly. Make a nice change to the abysmal officials we usually get

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:31 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:On the subject of the referee, I too thought he had a very good game. I counted two mistakes all game, both happened within a few seconds of each other when the Peterborough players turned to trying to rugby tackle two of our players in the first half and he somehow gave 'boro the free kick. Other than that I don't think he put a foot wrong and let the game flow superbly. Make a nice change to the abysmal officials we usually get

Get the impression we got a better ref because it was on the telly. We'll be back to one of the regular no-hopers on Saturday.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:On the subject of the referee, I too thought he had a very good game. I counted two mistakes all game, both happened within a few seconds of each other when the Peterborough players turned to trying to rugby tackle two of our players in the first half and he somehow gave 'boro the free kick. Other than that I don't think he put a foot wrong and let the game flow superbly. Make a nice change to the abysmal officials we usually get

He also missed an absolutely blatant obstruction on Bax in the middle of the park and just waved play on. But generally he was good.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:24 pm

That performance was vintage. People have understandably focused on the passing going forward. I thought defensively , it was no less impressive. Boro had no time on the ball and no one in space to pass to. That's normally done by teams looking for a draw-not ones carving the opposition apart when they get the ball. Andy Hinchcliff acknowledged just how Walsall gave Boro practically nothing.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I thought we played very well the other night! My opinion was that it was a bad game for Westcarr as I could see he was putting in the effort. To be honest, at the moment I still don't like Lalkovic. Granted he does do some nice tricks but too many wayward passes and always seems to do a stepover to many, thus losing the ball.
Onwards and upwards! :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:41 pm

People who dislike Westcarr, will continue to dislike him. There is little or no point in trying to change their minds. Their opinion I guess. Presumably they would prefer another Jarvis, or Parkin which is what you would likely be looking at for the kind of money we are paying him. He has is flaws, all lower league players do, he offers a lot to our team though (presumably why he is almost an instant choice by Deano)

How anyone can pick fault with any player Monday night is beyond me, was an outstanding performance by the whole team.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:People who dislike Westcarr, will continue to dislike him. There is little or no point in trying to change their minds. Their opinion I guess. Presumably they would prefer another Jarvis, or Parkin which is what you would likely be looking at for the kind of money we are paying him. He has is flaws, all lower league players do, he offers a lot to our team though (presumably why he is almost an instant choice by Deano)

How anyone can pick fault with any player Monday night is beyond me, was an outstanding performance by the whole team.

You should not be on this site, you talk to much sense, if you know what i mean :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:People who dislike Westcarr, will continue to dislike him. There is little or no point in trying to change their minds. Their opinion I guess. Presumably they would prefer another Jarvis, or Parkin which is what you would likely be looking at for the kind of money we are paying him. He has is flaws, all lower league players do, he offers a lot to our team though (presumably why he is almost an instant choice by Deano)

You should not be on this site, you talk to much sense, if you know what i mean :wink:

I don't think that's ever been said before, I talk enough bollocks to be accepted to be fair.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:49 pm

clawtheolder wrote:

Ar

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Personally I think Westcarr started badly but got better in the second half. He has had better days but then that goes for every player in the league so any criticism he has got is not really fair.

Westcarr represents what WFC is about as much as the sexy football etc... getting the most our of players who work hard for the team. 8 goals is not to be sniffed at and on the night didn't look any worse than Assombalonga who cost a load.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:45 pm

kshammer wrote:Personally I think Westcarr started badly but got better in the second half. He has had better days but then that goes for every player in the league so any criticism he has got is not really fair.

Westcarr represents what WFC is about as much as the sexy football etc... getting the most our of players who work hard for the team. 8 goals is not to be sniffed at and on the night didn't look any worse than Assombalonga who cost a load.

Exactly. People who moan at Westcarr are morons who know nothing about league one football and moan at him just because who won't chase a lost cause
, which by definition are causes not worth chasing (note he will he cause causes that are worth chasing. See penalty at Crewe for evidence). They also ignore the fact that he gets on and does a job where Dean Smith asks him to play, even if that's not his strongest position.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:06 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
kshammer wrote:Personally I think Westcarr started badly but got better in the second half. He has had better days but then that goes for every player in the league so any criticism he has got is not really fair.

Exactly. People who moan at Westcarr are morons who know nothing about league one football and moan at him just because who won't chase a lost cause
, which by definition are causes not worth chasing (note he will he cause causes that are worth chasing. See penalty at Crewe for evidence). They also ignore the fact that he gets on and does a job where Dean Smith asks him to play, even if that's not his strongest position.

Agree with you both. Monday was one of his quieter games for us (especially the first half), but he was still linking the play, and got more involved in the second half, joining the dots together between Lalkovic and Sawyers.

The people that don't get it, don't understand that football is a team game, and Smith has his team drilled perfectly. They all know what they have to do, and Westcarr does his bit.

Yes, it would be nice if he sprinted into every corner chasing lost balls, but the best strikers don't waste their energy doing that, so they're knackered when it comes to getting into a goalscoring opportunity. It would also be magnificent if he scored in every game, and every chance he got, but 60 goals a season forwards are rare, especially in a Walsall shirt. So, we'll have to make do with 20 goals and some clever link play until Messi is fit, and we bid for him in January.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season