Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 pm

That was actually rape.

Felt so sorry for O'Donnell, I was fudge cold wearing 3 layers, he was standing about with 1 layer on!

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Played them off the park. Watched alone in the pub. Crawley on Saturday. Should be good

PT
Site Addict

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Couldn't make it tonight so took the armchair option.

Was glad Dean finally went with Sawyers against a top team at home. No problem if Feathers returns at Crawley next week.

We were magic and thoroughly deserved the win. As with last week against Shrewsbury it could and should have been many more. We need to create around six good chances to score one. Loads of finishing practice this week methinks.

I really hope that some people saw that on the box and come and watch us in the flesh. That performance wasn't a one-off, it's the way we roll these days

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Can't really believe it hasn't been noted as much as it should but Lalkovic's goal was an unbelievable team goal that epitomises what Deano is trying to do. Train an entire team to work together and score goals. No out an out striker just an entire team force, we're building something special in the West Midlands here.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Brilliant!

Most of the team were fantastic.

Won £50 on my two bets too... Walsall to win 2-0, and Sawyers to score (special thanks to Ashley Hemmings for the penalty miss) :D

Happy Days.
Last edited by cumbria-saddler on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:10 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Felt so sorry for O'Donnell, I was donald cold wearing 3 layers, he was standing about with 1 layer on!

O'Donnell was useless, can't even grow a decent moustache!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:17 pm

That's probably about as good as it gets in League One. Beating a frankly abysmal Shrewsbury side is one thing, but completely dominating that lot from start to finish takes some doing.

The best thing about the way we're playing at the moment is, we're creating so many chances that the elusive striker we all seem to crave has turned into a luxury rather than a necessity. If we had an Assombalonga in our side, we'd probably have won by five or six, and that's no exaggeration - we missed three chances that were as good as the ones we scored.

Lalkovic and Sawyers were immense, but so was Mantom - and pretty much their other eight team mates to a man.

You get to the point where there's just not a lot else to say really - immense performance, and one that'll be staying on the Sky+ box for a good while yet!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Can confirm that neutrals in pub also believe we play shexy mark 2.1 football. Its spreading

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Very pleased to see Walsall win on TV for a change. Didn't expect them to beat Peterboro although we know they raise the game for the better sides.

This game tells me why Walsall WILL NOT reach the play offs this year. Again excellent defending as a team and some good neat build up play and spreading the ball around well...these are Saddler's strengths.

But how many attacking opportunities were squandered by:-

i) Too many passes
ii) Trying to beat men un-necessarily
iii) Failing to cross the ball quick enough
iv) Lack of forward runs
v) Lack of a striker who can bury it in the net.
vi) Not taking quick shots when opportunities arose.

I think maybe Lalkovic should be played as centre forward....with his pace and trickery in the middle, I think he might be a much more likely goalscorer than anyone else.

Sawyers definitely holds the ball up well and brings others into play.

I found the match very frustrating as Walsall should have won 5 or 6-0. In another game so many squandered opportunities get punished.

There were times when Walsall broke with 4 men in space ad then someone does something stupid, a careless pass, trying to walk through opposition, trying to walk the ball in etc.

Forget the two terrible one on one attempts and the penalty miss...leaving those aside, the amount of attacking opportunties that were messed up was criminal.

I know this sounds very negative, but if Walsall want to finish in the top six....IT HAS TO BE ADDRESSED....Don't be fooled by the win and other good play!

Walsall could be a top three team if these things are RECOGNIZED. If these things are not dealt with then....it will be a wasted season I think.

Its not just about having a competent finisher, its about being a lot more efficient in the final 3rd. PLEASE DEANO....SEE WHAT IS IN FRONT OF YOU, BE STRICT WITH THE LADS ABOUT THIS! MAKE THEM HAVE MORE AMBITION AND KILLER INSTINCT!

I think a Brentford, Leyton Orient attack would have won 8-0 with the domination that Walsall enjoyed in that game. 2-0 was very flattering to Peterboro as Ferguson admitted. Also the goal difference at the end of the season could count for much.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Well that was just wonderful. From the first whistle to the last, we never looked in any danger. Posh's only real noteworthy effort was a long range strike that O'Donnell did well to tip into the bar. We made them look an ordinary League One side, which given their record this season, in particular away from home, they aren't.

We scored two great goals, and like everyone says, it should have been more. However, the calls for a new striker are wide of the mark. Westcarr isn't your twenty goal a season man, but the way he links up with Sawyers causes chaos for the opposition. Neither had their best game of the season, yet could have had a couple each. To break that partnership would be foolish.

Baxendale and Lalkovic both had their best games in a long time. Milan provides that bit of unpredictability, and his turn of pace from a standing start is a great weapon to have. The forward players will get the credit and heaines today, but for me, Mantom was the star of the show. Constantly broke up play and didn't give the ball away either. Many of our attacks started with him. It's a real asset to have him on a long contract.

The defence was as solid as ever, Downings distribution is back to it's best. Hopefully this performance will encourage more people to come and see us on a regular basis. UTS

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:17 am

Here's one Dingle view on tapatalk from his sisters bedroom.

Unread 17-11-2013, 16:20
Has alot to say

Walsall are dire , how on earth they managed to win at our place was nothing short of criminal...Posh will win this by 2 or 3

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 am

and one with a bit more nous.

Old Yesterday, 23:35

Blimey, I'm getting worried that smallsall could become our main rivals!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 am

BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 4,597. I was right after all :lol:

Monday night, seriously poor away following and live on TV....what a good attendance!

Lakovic doesn't come across as a mercenary at all from his interview, a loan player from a big club will usually bang on about how he will play at a higher level etc etc....he has taken a while to settle but fair play to the lad....nothing 'Brandy' about him.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 4,597. I was right after all :lol:

Monday night, seriously poor away following and live on TV....what a good attendance!

Lakovic doesn't come across as a mercenary at all from his interview, a loan player from a big club will usually bang on about how he will play at a higher level etc etc....he has taken a while to settle but fair play to the lad....nothing 'Brandy' about him.

On twitter he's always on about how much he enjoys it here and also when he's on international duty he always takes time out to wish the lads well. Really starting to win me over after a slow start to his Walsall career which btw I can see lasting the whole season.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 am

Sadders wrote:The entire team was 8/9 out of 10 - apart from Westcarr who was useless

Thanks for this.
I'm a busy person so not bothering to read your posts ever again will save me a few minutes each day.

gray
Glitterati

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:58 am

Westcarr wasn't useless.

Also it's good to see an opposition manager giving the credit we deserve:

"It's very rare when you get a game in which every player on the other team are better than yours. But you have to give credit to the opposition. Walsall are a good team.
"Sean Brisley's challenge was silly at that stage of the game when he'd already been booked. That's four red cards we've had now which does not make it any easier.
"But, once we'd gone down to 10 men, we were lucky not to get beat by more."

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:19 am

sallian wrote:Very pleased to see Walsall win on TV for a change. Didn't expect them to beat Peterboro although we know they raise the game for the better sides.

This game tells me why Walsall WILL NOT reach the play offs this year. Again excellent defending as a team and some good neat build up play and spreading the ball around well...these are Saddler's strengths.

i) Too many passes
iv) Lack of forward runs

I think maybe Lalkovic should be played as centre forward....with his pace and trickery in the middle, I think he might be a much more likely goalscorer than anyone else.

I found the match very frustrating as Walsall should have won 5 or 6-0. In another game so many squandered opportunities get punished.

There were times when Walsall broke with 4 men in space ad then someone does something stupid, a careless pass, trying to walk through opposition, trying to walk the ball in etc.

Forget the two terrible one on one attempts and the penalty miss...leaving those aside, the amount of attacking opportunties that were messed up was criminal.

I know this sounds very negative, but if Walsall want to finish in the top six....IT HAS TO BE ADDRESSED....Don't be fooled by the win and other good play!

Walsall could be a top three team if these things are RECOGNIZED. If these things are not dealt with then....it will be a wasted season I think.

Its not just about having a competent finisher, its about being a lot more efficient in the final 3rd. PLEASE DEANO....SEE WHAT IS IN FRONT OF YOU, BE STRICT WITH THE LADS ABOUT THIS! MAKE THEM HAVE MORE AMBITION AND KILLER INSTINCT!

I think a Brentford, Leyton Orient attack would have won 8-0 with the domination that Walsall enjoyed in that game. 2-0 was very flattering to Peterboro as Ferguson admitted. Also the goal difference at the end of the season could count for much.

Sigh.... No pleasing some.

I call nonsense!! Smith is developing a European style football team. One that creates many many chances. As with many teams who implement this style lots of chances are squandid. I'd rather do this than have a strike force esque squad that create few but nick games here and there.

Sit back and enjoy old boy, it won't always be like this.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:31 am

Well worth staying up beyond 4.30am for!

Great to see the team in action and great noise from the support! 8)

Walsall causing quite a stir here - working with Bristol City, Rotherscum, Coventry, Wolves, Bradford, (Bloose), and Crawley fans from our division. The dingle is terrified of a playoff clash. :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:06 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Well worth staying up beyond 4.30am for!

Walsall causing quite a stir here - working with Bristol City, Rotherscum, Coventry, Wolves, Bradford, (Bloose), and Crawley fans from our division. The dingle is terrified of a playoff clash. :D

He'll be ok. As we improve and they choke we'll finish second and they'll avoid us in the playoffs. :mrgreen:

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

Playing "Sexy and I know it" at the end is a masterstroke. :D

Perkwins

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:55 am

sallian wrote:Very pleased to see Walsall win on TV for a change. Didn't expect them to beat Peterboro although we know they raise the game for the better sides.

i) Too many passes
iv) Lack of forward runs

Bet your a right loff.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 am

Stunnin, like a young Burt Reynolds..(with due deference to Max & Paddy!)

With thanks again to Latvian I was able to watch the match in grainy but watchable mode, But what a night, there are not enough words to describe how proud I was to witness the demolition of one of the top teams of our Division, with room to spare, it so could (and should) have been at least 5.

When oh when will we get some shooting and penalty taking practice done at Essington?

Still, apart from that, one of the best performances I have seen from a Walsall side for many many years, and on the telly un'all!

Keep it up me babbies!

UTS

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 am

Coventry_Saddler wrote:We would be 4/5-0 up if we had a decent strike force, Bonser, get your donald cheque book out you cheap son of a bitch and give this team the strikeforce we deserve!

If you went, we'd have more money.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 am

PT wrote:Couldn't make it tonight so took the armchair option.

Was glad Dean finally went with Sawyers against a top team at home. No problem if Feathers returns at Crawley next week.

We were magic and thoroughly deserved the win. As with last week against Shrewsbury it could and should have been many more. We need to create around six good chances to score one. Loads of finishing practice this week methinks.

I really hope that some people saw that on the box and come and watch us in the flesh. That performance wasn't a one-off, it's the way we roll these days

I'll bet they will be mostly scouts (not the Baden-Powell type either).

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 am

Perkwins wrote:

i) Too many passes
iv) Lack of forward runs

Bet your a right loff.

If you can't be positive after that then when will you be? :roll:

How enlightening... apparently we need a striker.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 am

kshammer wrote:Playing "Sexy and I know it" at the end is a masterstroke. :D

Right Said Fred would be better.

He's a Saddler
You know what I mean
And he struts his funky stuff at the Bescot!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 am

Exile wrote:

He'll be ok. As we improve and they choke we'll finish second and they'll avoid us in the playoffs. :mrgreen:

My ideal end at the season would be the Play-Off Final at Wembley against the Dingle Dogs - Deep joy!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:19 am

Leatherman wrote:
Exile wrote:

My ideal end at the season would be the Play-Off Final at Wembley against the Dingle Dogs - Deep joy!

I'll settle for anyone. It won't be our mutant friends though. They'll be up by Easter.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:44 am

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 pm

All round top quality performance, given a little helping hand by a seemingly demoralized Peterborough side.

Do need to work on being more clinical though, that game should have finished 5 or 6-0. 2-0 flattered Peterborough.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season