Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round Sat 9 Nov 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round Sat 9 Nov 3pm

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:49 pm

With no disrespect intended, the Sloppies are coming to town!! Despite what some of our more grumpy members may feel, the F.A. Cup still has that "magic" of a real Cup competition bound up in history and tradition. Particularly to any Walsall supporter brought up on the deeds and derring-do of Saddlers since the despatch of the mighty Arsenal in 1933, even if recent years haven't quite scaled those heights...

However - the road to Wembley beckons again and in the first round proper we entertain Shrewsbury Town, who kept us company for many years back in the Div.III days. Similar as a club in some ways to ourselves (produced the occasional gem of a player and had to sell him to keep the wolf from their door...moved into a Lego stadium, etc).

As an indicator of form here are their most recent 6 League games, they are currently 6 points (and 6 places) behind us in the League One table.

5 Oct Carlisle United (H) DREW 2-2
12 Oct Gillingham (H) WON 2-0
19 Oct Peterborough United (A) LOST 1-0
22 Oct Colchester United (H) DREW 1-1
26 Oct Brentford (A) LOST 1-0
2 Nov Sheffield United (H) WON 2-0

Manager Graham Turner has been making use of the loan market to boost his strike force (anyone listening?????), with Liam McAlinden arriving from Wolves on a three month deal, joining Spaniard Cristiano Lopez who came from Huddersfield Town on a one month loan. You may remember McAlinden - he scored against us for the Dingles as one of their penalty-takers in the Paint Pot match.

Predictions? It's the F.A.Cup, so it ain't easy...but it is about time we had something of a Cup run, and I'll stick my neck out and say we can get past this hurdle without any faffing about with extra time or replays - say 2-0 with goals from Sawyers and Westcarr.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round Sat 9 Nov 3pm

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:04 pm

1-0 loss if Smith plays Nicky.

2-0 win if Smith plays Sawyers.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:You may remember McAlinden - he scored against us for the Dingles as one of their penalty-takers in the Paint Pot match.

He also scored their first from open play didn't he?

They're pretty ropey away from home and we're not the best on our own patch, so this won't be easy - not least because they still seem to think beating Sheffield Utd is some kind of giant-killing, so will be pretty confident.

I'll go for a 3-2 home win though.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:You may remember McAlinden - he scored against us for the Dingles as one of their penalty-takers in the Paint Pot match.

They're pretty ropey away from home and we're not the best on our own patch, so this won't be easy - not least because they still seem to think beating Sheffield Utd is some kind of giant-killing, so will be pretty confident.

Us score 3 at home, you're having a laugh!
i predict a draw to mess up our date on Sky.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:22 pm

portlandbill wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Us score 3 at home, you're having a laugh!
i predict a draw to mess up our date on Sky.

Or give us back our Saturday afternnon footie, depending on your pov? :)

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Saturday at the live game is great. Sky live on a Monday night is much better if you have a nearly 400 mile round trip

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 pm

portlandbill wrote:Saturday at the live game is great. Sky live on a Monday night is much better if you have a nearly 400 mile round trip

Self, self, self :grin:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Im gonna go for a 3-2 win.

Goals gotta come sometime.

fudge it, go gung ho on the slags. If we play that passing sideways nonsense i wont be happy.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 am

An update on the Shrewsbury Town line-up for Saturday...Wolves have refused permission for Liam McAlinden to play, and Cristiano Lopez has been recalled to parent club Huddersfield Town. Left-back Joe Jacobson (who scored against Sheffield United last week-end) is also out for three weeks with a hamstring problem.

Come on, you Saddlers!!!!! :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:An update on the Shrewsbury Town line-up for Saturday...Wolves have refused permission for Liam McAlinden to play, and Cristiano Lopez has been recalled to parent club Huddersfield Town. Left-back Joe Jacobson (who scored against Sheffield United last week-end) is also out for three weeks with a hamstring problem.

Come on, you Saddlers!!!!! :D

That front two being missing is good news for us, as they've played a big part in Shrewsbury's recent couple of results.

Jacobson injured himself celebrating his 35 yard wonder goal, apparently. :lol:

SWS1

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 pm

For nothing, the celebration that always springs to my mind is Antnee Gerard haring off into the distance (there was plenty of space), flailing his arms when the NINE men of the Saddlers scored at Brighton, oh, 10, 15 or was it 50 years ago? And won, of course, having played with nine men for, well, most of the game. A great day :D even if I'm a bit sketchy with the detail.
On Saturday's game 1. I'm surprised there are so few posts and 2. I anticipate a comfortable win (which doesn't mean we'll get one, of course: I always anticipate a win, so am wrong quite frequently :? ).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

SWS1 wrote:For nothing, the celebration that always springs to my mind is Antnee Gerard haring off into the distance (there was plenty of space), flailing his arms when the NINE men of the Saddlers scored at Brighton, oh, 10, 15 or was it 50 years ago? And won, of course, having played with nine men for, well, most of the game. A great day :D even if I'm a bit sketchy with the detail.

Of course, his body language was terrible, he thought he was better than he was, thought he was his cousin, blah, blah, ****ing blah.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 pm

2-0 to us, with Butler and Sawyers scoring.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 pm

The absence of those two loan players should make this game a lot more comfortable for us, so I'm a lot more confident now of a win rather than a draw/replay. Even so, with our inability to create enough chances from masses of possession, I'll just go for a steady 2-0 win and into the hat for a rare excursion into Round 2.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:19 am

King Crimson wrote:
SWS1 wrote:For nothing, the celebration that always springs to my mind is Antnee Gerard haring off into the distance (there was plenty of space), flailing his arms when the NINE men of the Saddlers scored at Brighton, oh, 10, 15 or was it 50 years ago? And won, of course, having played with nine men for, well, most of the game. A great day :D even if I'm a bit sketchy with the detail.

Of course, his body language was terrible, he thought he was better than he was, thought he was his cousin, blah, blah, ****ing blah.

Correct.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I reckon...

3-1 Matt Carbon, Louie Donowa & Keith Bertschin
Steve Cherry to be given 1st round performance award
Wayne Clarke ( :evil: ) for the Welsh

4217 (674 Slops)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:

He was a Scunthorpe, a decent player, but he was a Scunthorpe.

SWS1

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Correct.

Be that as it may, it was a great celebration making full use of the wide open spaces at the Withdean Ponderosa. It made me laugh, anyway. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 am

Walsall to win. 2-1 I reckon, don't think we should underestimate the Sloppies...

Disappointed there's so much Facebook traffic on this game but so few posts here.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:22 am

A disappointing performance but a 1- 0 win for us. Hemmings to score.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:27 am

Exile wrote:Walsall to win. 2-1 I reckon, don't think we should underestimate the Sloppies...

Disappointed there's so much Facebook traffic on this game but so few posts here.

The times they are a changing. More real people on Facebook.

Anyway, all our shots on target to go in, unlike recent weeks, meaning we win 14-1.

Scorers for us - 5 from Westcarr, 4 from Mantom, 2 from Baxendale, Hemmings and Sawyers, and one from Paterson from one of his huge wayward efforts from wherever Forest are playing, after he's been given a 20 second substitution appearance.

The obligatory gift from O'Donnell for them.

Brandy to get sent off, from the bench.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Exile wrote:Walsall to win. 2-1 I reckon, don't think we should underestimate the Sloppies...

The times they are a changing. More real people on Facebook.

Anyway, all our shots on target to go in, unlike recent weeks, meaning we win 14-1.

Scorers for us - 5 from Westcarr, 4 from Mantom, 2 from Baxendale, Hemmings and Sawyers, and one from Paterson from one of his huge wayward efforts from wherever Forest are playing, after he's been given a 20 second substitution appearance.

The obligatory gift from O'Donnell for them.

Brandy to get sent off, from the bench.

It was worth popping onto UTS just for this post! Not often that can be said about your posts ;-)

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Hemmings and Featherstone out, Sawyers and Lalkovic in.

I would have played Hemmings and dropped Baxendale instead, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the line ups.

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
Butler
Taylor

Mantom
Chambers

Lalkovic
Sawyers
Baxendale

Westcarr

(Unless it's 4-4-2 with Lalkovic playing next to or just behind Westcarr)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:The times they are a changing. More real people on Facebook.

What is this Facebook you speak of? :?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:11 pm

While we're waiting for things to warm up at the Banks's's's', here's a little giggle for you.......

Oldham Athletic 1 Wolves 0 (2 minutes) :D

We've had three corners in the first nine minutes

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:32 pm

WESTCARR!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-0

gray
Glitterati

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Westkaka!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Wehey 1-0 Westcarr

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Shrewsbury striker Wildig booked......we've now had 7 corners, and 3 attempts on goal (all on target)

Elsewhere, Troy Deeney scores to equalise for Watford at Middlesbrough - now 1-1

Dingles now level at the mighty Oldham Athletic, also 1-1

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Elsewhere, Troy Deeney scores to equalise for Watford at Middlesbrough - now 1-1

..and Port Talbot Town goalless at HT :wink:

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season