Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round Sat 9 Nov 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round Sat 9 Nov 3pm

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:10 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I went to see the Villa today cos I was given a free ticket.

My god, I think Walsall would give them a run for their money in a league game - Villa are woeful. They won the match today on a single moment of quality from Bacuna, and I imagine that is how the crap sides in the prem get by - on brief moments of quality in the midst of overall crap. How horrid it must be to be a Villa fan, it made me really grateful for the quality of the football we get at WFC.

Can't believe you would admit to that :shock:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Villa: The most pointless of clubs. Their charge for 17th is on course.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Might be a bit churlish after a 3-0 win, but it could and should have been double that. Our problem this season is that we 9 or 10 chances/situations to score one goal. Today, Shrewsbury were so bad and the rest of our play was so good that we must have had 25/30 situations that could have been goals. We got three, which was nice and Sawyers goal was ace.

Whilst the quantity of our support was poor, as ever the quality was conversely proportional. The lads downstairs in fine form and us lot upstairs giving it a bit too and well done to the "Dean Smith's Barmy Army 3" at the back left upstairs (as you look from the pitch) who kept it going for what must have been 70 of the 90 minutes.

Love the cup.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Shrewsbury where that poor a first round bye would have been harder.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:Although, i have to reiterate. Shrewsbury look like relegation fodder.

Relegated in November would be more accurate.

Bored in the 1st half, really nice footie in the 2nd. Westcarr was our Anelka today, good as Sawyers was, how tf did he get man of the match over him?

Bored with the dingles, I'd prefer Tamworth myself in the 2nd.

Terradakphil

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:04 pm

I would like a chance for revenge on lincoln in the second round please

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:10 pm

You can only beat what's put in front of you, and Walsall did that.

Job done. Can we have someone that easy in the next round please!

Kneecap
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:33 am

Could not argue with Sawyers as man of the match but there were any number of other contenders. I think Sawyers got it because it was his best ever game for us. His goal was a delight; the build up was as good as the finish.

Could not believe the rent-a-gob behind me who insisted on criticizing everything he did.

Disagree with the comments about the first half. Walsall controlled that game from start to finish.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:48 am

Kneecap wrote:Could not argue with Sawyers as man of the match but there were any number of other contenders. I think Sawyers got it because it was his best ever game for us. His goal was a delight; the build up was as good as the finish.

Could not believe the rent-a-gob behind me who insisted on criticizing everything he did.

Disagree with the comments about the first half. Walsall controlled that game from start to finish.

Thought that myself. We played well all game, albeit the Sloppies being cack.

There was a rent-a-gob behind me who criticised Westcarr for "scoring from 6 yards"

Seriously.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 am

First half we didn't get out of first gear, and quite frankly we didn't need to. Without creating too much, it seemed like we were the only side with something in their locker to win the game. Everyone was having a 6-7/10 performance, bar Lalkovic who was probably on a 4-5.

The second half we really showed our quality. This coincided with Milan having his best spell in a Walsall shirt. Rather than beating his man, and then trying to beat him again, he was far more direct. This, coupled with his interchanging with Westcarr, Sawyers and Baxendale, who had his best game of the season, resulted in the Sloppiest not being able to live with us. It easily could have been six.

Sawyers was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch, again highlighting the need to play him at home. One first time pass to put Baxendale through on goal towards the end was just sublime.

Granted Shrews were poor, but as everyone says, you can only beat what's in front of you. They looked shaker at the back, combative in midfield, without any real quality, and toothless up front. Their keeper comes away with any real credit, and it's a good job really.

Pleased to be in hat, one more win and it's classed as a CUP RUN!!! Nice home draw please UTS

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:15 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shXOifZL6f4[/youtube]

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shXOifZL6f4[/youtube]

Romaine Saunders seems to have scored our third!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Sadders wrote:There's something about me watching us again this year. I couldn't make Swindon a Tuesday and I couldn't make Stevenage or today and we win 3-0. Yet I made Preston, Dons last week etc. Anyway a note for the ginger one.

4-3-3 at home with Featherstone

Preston - lost 3-0
Rotherham - Drew 1-1
Bradford - lost 2-0
Coventry - lost 1-0

4 games, 1 goal, 1 point.

4-4-2 - 4-4-1-1 - 4-2-3-1 (depending on how you see it) with Sawyers

Tranmere - Won 3-1
Notts County - drew 1-1 (Sawyers scored)
Stevenage - Won 2-1 (Sawyers scored)
Shrewsbury - Won 3-0 (Sawyers scored)

4 games, 3 wins, 1 draw, 9 scored including 3 goals in 3 starts for Sawyers.

Whether Featherstone is good or bad, he can't play at home and whether people agree or disagree - the stats are the facts.

I don't want to appear to be disagreeing with you, I think you have a point.

But, you can't deduce anything concrete from those stats. Look at the quality of teams where Featherstone played. All 4 are superior to where Sawyers played.

My point is less directly to do with the players themselves, but more the mindset of the team when Featherstone plays at home. I get the feeling he plays at home against the better teams because Smith set's up (intentionally or un-intentionally) to keep the opposition out more than he does us to score more than 1 goal and play in an attacking manner. The issue with that is, we aren't going to keep a cleansheet every week and when the opposition does score, we look clueless as to break them down.

I'd rather we just setup at home with the intent of scoring a few goals and perhaps conceding a few more. We might not have had extra points with Sawyers playing the home games Featherstone has this season, but I think we'd certainly have AT LEAST created a little more, if not scored more and taken a few more points.

Hopefully Smith sticks with it, though he may be tempted to try and keep Posh quiet next Monday night instead of going for it.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:24 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

That's awful. He's a professional journalist FFS, how hard can it be to get the names correct!?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Whens the 4th round draw?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Also say what you will about his decision making, but O'Donnell's distribution yesterday was first class.

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:34 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Whens the 4th round draw?

Just after 4.00pm, on ITV

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 pm

gray wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

That's awful. He's a professional journalist FFS, how hard can it be to get the names correct!?

Considering he's quite a distinctive looking chap, too.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Pay me to watch football and I guarantee I'll get every player's full name, date of birth and mother's maiden name correct.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Shrewsbury where that poor a first round bye would have been harder.

:lol: :lol:

newjersey exile

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Is that a pink ball?

Deep deep thanks to the guy that posted the Youtube link - I cant get it work here - territorial restrictions and all that.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:49 am

Bosting win and always good to smash the sloppies.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:54 am

My voice was hoarse from the near constant "Dean Smith's barmy army" chanting :grin:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:24 pm

newjersey exile wrote:Is that a pink ball?

Deep deep thanks to the guy that posted the Youtube link - I cant get it work here - territorial restrictions and all that.

Apparently, it's 'mango'.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:33 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Also say what you will about his decision making, but O'Donnell's distribution yesterday was first class.

decision making is a necessity, distribution a nice bonus.

he'll improve, hopefully.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Sublime second half performance, Shrewsbury couldn't live with our football and the way we got forward. If it hadn't of been for Weale it could have been a cricket score. Sawyers was tremendous as was the whole of the team. O'Donnell was a spectator throughout apart from a few defensive errors at the end of the game but nothing major. Despite us putting in a fantastic performance, Shrewsbury were horrendous - they looked like 11 lads who had never played together before. I heard Graham Turner, who I have a lot of respect for, say their target is to achieve a top half finish. Well based on that display I think he is in for a rude awakening and are potential relegation contenders. Special mention to Andy Taylor again who I'd say is in the form of his career and hopefully Deano has a contract on the table waiting for him to sign. All good stuff and positive ahead of the sky game next Monday which should be a cracker. UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 pm

I find it amusing they rate Weale. Two goals he was at fault, he didnt even bother for the third but no one was stopping that.

I wish Sawyers would shoot more, him and Mantom could be real goal threats if they just had a shot instead of that extra pass occasionally.

Sawyers really is a future player, i have to say id probably start him all the time unless we are playing someone really good away. If Westcarr got injured i reckon he could play his role too. Very similar players.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:19 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
Apparently, it's 'mango'.

Of course it is. Oldest cup competition in the world but needs a gimmicky coloured ball from an American plimsol manufacturer to distract everyone from the fact that it is now sponsored by the world's worst American beer. Jesus wept.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:03 am

latviancheese wrote:I find it amusing they rate Weale. Two goals he was at fault, he didnt even bother for the third but no one was stopping that.

To be fair to him he is a good goalie whenever i've seen clips etc. His performance when we lost 1-0 at their place last year was outstanding - we battered em and somehow he kept everything out... the big get him.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:29 am

wfc & chips wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Also say what you will about his decision making, but O'Donnell's distribution yesterday was first class.

decision making is a necessity, distribution a nice bonus.

he'll improve, hopefully.

clean sheet and people still find something to moan about :shock: :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season