Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (A) League One, Sat 2 Nov 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
wfc & chips
Glitterati

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (A) League One, Sat 2 Nov 3pm

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Cully wrote:
rogerem wrote:Pushing Butler upfront says it all. Get a donald striker in you tight barsteward. Gutted.

I'm not sure why Smith does this so frequently, I thought Andy butler was a centre half, if fact he always seems to be playing in that position in every game. Completely pointless tactic............he's not a striker Dayneoo.

because it's a worthwhile tactic when chasing a game, and won us a goal today, taken away by an inept ref. who, incidentally, gave 2 non-existent free-kicks against adam, from 1 of which they scored. no excuse for building a wall that doesn't cover your near post, mind.

we weren't as bad as others would have you believe, but never looked like scoring. easily the better side. surprisingly, lalkovitch looked sharp when he came on.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Bitterly disappointed with that today . Too many players below par which is frustrating as mk really are a poor side. It seemed a wide pitch so would have started with Gray and tried to stretch them in wide areas. Love Baxo but the lad is no right winger and I feel for him. We really need a new signing up front it could give us all a lift. Loan market has to be tried before the season drifts away. I've said before its a good league this year and we need to do more to keep up. As for the ref and lino ??? Absolute disgrace !! Skippers sin was to keep going after being tugged back by his shirt. His reward ?? A headed goal ruled out and even worse the foul given the other way . What !!!!!!!! :evil:
Still love this team just think they need a little help. . Over to you WFC board .

Garbinho

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:26 pm

Annoyed we lost that. Both sides equally average first half. Second half it was still even until the ref gave them two free kicks for nothing on the edge of our box. The first was a sighter and I had a feeling the second would go in. After that I thought we were the better team, especially after the subs were made. I think it made the front 4/5 more free flowing and caused them problems. We just needed a better final pass or cross and we would have got the goal we needed. For the last 15 mins we were more dominant than any team was for the first 75.

Onto the ref. The 2nd half from him and his pals was shocking. I thought there was a list of things they missed or got completely wrong namely:
The two tackles for their freekicks where we blatantly won the ball. The one for their goal it's not A. Chambers fault if a player half lets a ball through his legs and then turns and runs into him as he kicks the ball away.
Their player tugging Butler's shirt from the half way line and then giving a free kick to them because their player fell over in doing so! Cost us the disallowed goal.
The blatant elbow from Lewington as Butler watched the ball come out the sky. Charged at him from about 10 yards away.
He also seemed to miss a fantastic one handed save from one of their defenders on the goal line. Don't know if that's just the way I saw it though.

Elsewhere I think as much as I like him Baxo can be too lightweight especially against a lump like Lewington and Westcarr isn't a centre forward. We need someone to move their defenders around by running the channels like grigg did last year. We are too easy to defend against by teams that can keep their shape at the back. Jorge Leitao would be the perfect fit for this team to get on their shoulders, force defenders back and make space for the rest of the front players.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:53 pm

2 defeats on the bounce with no goals scored is a little bit worrying, but when you look at who we've played and where we sit in the table, we're still not doing too badly.

What's become clear over the last couple of weeks is that without some investment in our forward line, there are a few too many teams who will probably finish above us in the table. The next fortnight could see us pocket cash from an FA Cup win and a televised game though, so I'd like to think the coffers will be in a healthier state and a striker might follow as a result. Wishful thinking without question, but we live in hope.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Although at nearly 10pm on the match thread, only 3 pages!!
The general consensus of those and most on here is.... We need a Striker!!
Does Gamble read this board?
Is he bothered?
Does bonser want us to go up?

Edit.....Rob?.... We have money to spend without any cup run.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:11 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
Cully wrote:
rogerem wrote:Pushing Butler upfront says it all. Get a donald striker in you tight barsteward. Gutted.

I'm not sure why Smith does this so frequently, I thought Andy butler was a centre half, if fact he always seems to be playing in that position in every game. Completely pointless tactic............he's not a striker Dayneoo.

because it's a worthwhile tactic when chasing a game, and won us a goal today, taken away by an inept ref. who, incidentally, gave 2 non-existent free-kicks against adam, from 1 of which they scored. no excuse for building a wall that doesn't cover your near post, mind.

we weren't as bad as others would have you believe, but never looked like scoring. easily the better side. surprisingly, lalkovitch looked sharp when he came on.

Whilst I agree it's a tactic I'm not sure that it's the best tactic or even anything approaching a cunning plan. As I stated earlier, it happens far too frequently and the only success I have ever witnessed was the injury time equaliser at Rochdale when he headed in a rather freakish goal from outside the box. By all means send him up when we have a free kick or corner but why place him in the role of a centre forward, he has neither the speed, control or wit to be a threat. His miss-control last week just outside the Coventry penalty area when attempting to receive a pass from Sawyers illustrated how poorly equipped he is as an ad hoc striker. Smith has better options with his existing 'strikers' and if he thinks that none of those are better than Butler then the answer should be obvious.......alas it appears it is not since he has already publicly stated that other league 1 clubs envy our 'strike force options.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:12 pm

rogerem wrote:Edit.....Rob?.... We have money to spend without any cup run.

What makes you think that?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:24 pm

PT wrote:

I don't think it unreasonable to assume that there is a few extra bob to spend this year after unloading Brandy, Grigg and Patterson for a large wedge during the close season unless you have information to the contrary.
We have also had an increase this season from the Football League and I've also agreed to bring my troops for their annual company Christmas bash so the money is just rolling in!!

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Nice one Cully .... A bit of realism. If they do read this, we need money spent please.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Cully wrote:
PT wrote:

I don't think it unreasonable to assume that there is a few extra bob to spend this year after unloading Brandy, Grigg and Patterson for a large wedge during the close season unless you have information to the contrary.
We have also had an increase this season from the Football League and I've also agreed to bring my troops for their annual company Christmas bash so the money is just rolling in!!

Don't believe we received any money for Brandy.

We have signed three players (albeit one on loan) who were part of Premier League squads last year. This will cost us more than the previous summers signings who were mainly found from Hereford and Cypriot settees.

We have extended the contracts of several players and the manager.

We have a hugely increased police bill.

In the last accounts we were still indebted to various board members for a total sum in excess of £2million and there's no reason to believe we may not have used any surplus cash to pay maybe the biggest of those down (and why shouldn't we? :wink: ).

We have made further investment in our youth set-up.

If we received £1.3m in total for Grigg and Paterson, there may not be an awful lot left after the above list. There may well be some left but I doubt it's a fortune. I'd say a cup run will be as useful as ever as I agree with the consensus on us being a decent striker (the most expensive asset in the game) short of being serious play-off contenders rather than mid-table.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:09 pm

PT wrote:
Cully wrote:
PT wrote:

Don't believe we received any money for Brandy.

We have signed three players (albeit one on loan) who were part of Premier League squads last year. This will cost us more than the previous summers signings who were mainly found from Hereford and Cypriot settees.

We have extended the contracts of several players and the manager.

We have a hugely increased police bill.

In the last accounts we were still indebted to various board members for a total sum in excess of £2million and there's no reason to believe we may not have used any surplus cash to pay maybe the biggest of those down (and why shouldn't we? :wink: ).

We have made further investment in our youth set-up.

If we received £1.3m in total for Grigg and Paterson, there may not be an awful lot left after the above list. There may well be some left but I doubt it's a fortune. I'd say a cup run will be as useful as ever as I agree with the consensus on us being a decent striker (the most expensive asset in the game) short of being serious play-off contenders rather than mid-table.

Most of the things you have listed are either in the future or supposition so you don't know any more than the rest of us then unless you're desperate to tow Bonser's party line. Therefore I'll assume that there is some money available and we should spend it on a striker and not a centre half to replace Butler who I believe is being groomed for the role of centre forward.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 am

Seems pretty self-evident to me that we need an out-and-out striker as the common complaint this season seems to be that there is no one around to get on the end of the good football we are playing. Lowest scorers in the top half is disappointing and must surely be the difference between us being genuine play-off contenders and a top-half side who won't quite make it. I have sympathy for Smith's argument that Grigg, Pato and Brandy were garbage until Christmas last year, but we don't have the same options. It looks likely that Lalkovic will go back in the January window, so hopefully we will be forced into brining in a new body up top. A short-term loan until then would look to be something approaching a priority unless Smith is willing to give one of the youngsters a go.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:44 am

cully wrote:Most of the things you have listed are either in the future or supposition so you don't know any more than the rest of us then unless you're desperate to tow Bonser's party line. Therefore I'll assume that there is some money available and we should spend it on a striker and not a centre half to replace Butler who I believe is being groomed for the role of centre forward.

The things I listed are facts rather than supposition. The supposition lies in the exact amounts that some of those things cost. We know the extra police bill, we know the indebtedness to Directors. We don't know the difference between Hewitt, Sawyers and lalkovic's wages versus Grigg, Paterson and Brandy and we don't know what enhanced terms for Smith, Downing and Baxendale look like.

I don't know what Bonser's party line is as he hasn't communicated with us other than the bland stuff in the club accounts for around 3 years. If it is a continuation of us not spending money don't have then that is frustrating but it has been that way forever. I still think that his last decade has seen him do lasting damage to our fan base and would support any viable alternative as his mere presence is divisive . There just aren't too many of those knocking around.

Butler being groomed for centre-forward - at the risk of being whooshed - I'd say that Butler up front is an in match Plan C (after we've done the Featherstone/sawyers and winger(s) for lalkovic/Gray things on the 60 and 70 minute mark respectively - not saying Smith's subs are formulaic but you can set your watch by them!).

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:52 am

leics_saddler wrote:Right, I've just got back.
It's my first sight of them this season and this is what I think.

General
Walsall are a good team, well managed, playing good football.
ALL players have something to offer the squad.

Where it went wrong

MK offered nothing, including their 'fans' so it effectively became a home game and the formation didn't sit right.
They were there for the taking and had we been more assertive tactically, we could and should have won it.

But for two appalling interjections from the referee, that result was never on the cards.
He was a gibbering imbecile - expect to see him in the Premiership shortly.
Butler could twice have had a penalty anyway, but the referee not only disallowed his goal, but gave a free kick against him despite their player grabbing him round the throat.
T

Player by player
Pointless exercise - all 6.5/10.
Too many looked jaded and the middle third of the game was particularly tepid.
The substitutions and the ridiculous goal jollied them up a bit, but it was too little, too late today.
Despite that they looked a far superior team to Corporate Nonsense FC (2003).

MK
Nice ground with nice seats - hilariously underpopulated by corporate patrons.
Will be even nicer when the finish building it and add draught excluders.
Find the cheesiest bell end, square it + ginger mullet = Dean Lewington.
Alan Smith was anonymous, as was Bamford.
Izale McLeod fell over once, offered nothing else.
Karl Robinson is a total twit, who has managed to assemble the biggest collection of insipid charlies outside of Selhurst Park.
Powell looks quite good for them in patches.

Cadets looked relieved to be called from the stands after 35 mins.
Majorettes were very plain.
Programme has hilarious section 'we have some history.'

er,that's it.

Good post. Pretty much sums it up.

It was a strange game. Walsall were clearly the better team, yet there seemed to be an inevitability we would lose.

Still only 1 point outside the play offs though, so season very much still alive.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 am

As much has anyone rates Smith its clear to see that if it really is his opinion that we don't need a striker bringing in then we're harming our season.

4eva in my heart wfc

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 am

it was a poor game with either team very rarely threatening the goal, i thought it had 0-0 written all over it, shame we dropped our standards because we could have beaten this side. i feel sorry for baxendale because he is not in his best position and over the course of the season so far for all his hard work he gets bumped off the ball at every opportunity, hemmings was the only player before lalkovic came on who was willing to take his man on and be direct for his efforts to have nobody to cross too.

i can see why so many people gets annoid with westcarr because his effort was poor yesterday and his body language gave t all away. hewitt was much more mobile bloody give him a run. as for lewington really wish the league would look at how he conducts himself on the pitch elbow galore he must be a thai boxer in his spare time disgustin. and only about as bad as the ref and his assistants, never felt like running on the pitch before.
what the hell was odonell doing again went for a ball he had not right to go for and missed everyhting and everyone and set the wall up rong, he is starting to single handidly risk us points every game.

rubbish game rubbish result and even worse match officials. the board need to give dean some backing and get into the loan window, with a right winger and a decent centre forward we can get the play offs

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:58 am

Cully wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
Cully wrote:

Whilst I agree it's a tactic I'm not sure that it's the best tactic or even anything approaching a cunning plan. As I stated earlier, it happens far too frequently and the only success I have ever witnessed was the injury time equaliser at Rochdale when he headed in a rather freakish goal from outside the box. By all means send him up when we have a free kick or corner but why place him in the role of a centre forward, he has neither the speed, control or wit to be a threat. His miss-control last week just outside the Coventry penalty area when attempting to receive a pass from Sawyers illustrated how poorly equipped he is as an ad hoc striker. Smith has better options with his existing 'strikers' and if he thinks that none of those are better than Butler then the answer should be obvious.......alas it appears it is not since he has already publicly stated that other league 1 clubs envy our 'strike force options.

you state he ain't a threat yet he scored yesterday. besides, he's there more to create problems for the defence with his strength and heading abilities.

you're right that we're seeing it too much, but only because it means we're chasing games in the last few minutes more often than we'd like. it's brave management, and i'm all for it.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:41 pm

What's Troy Hewitt got to do to earn a recall? Start him up front instead of Westcarr for the counter-attacking formation. Start him up front alongside Sawyers or Westcarr for the more offensive formation (generally at home, but also the one we should have started with against MK Dons because they put so many men behind the ball).

Hewitt has started five games - the away ones at Crewe, Wolves and Leyton O were three of our best displays this season. Unfortunately when he's started at home he's been ahead of an unnecessarily negative five-man midfield.

Got to be worth a try at least if there's no one available from the loan market at the moment.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Cully wrote:
PT wrote:

I dow think we got anthing for Brandy; I think he just fudge off.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Cully wrote:
PT wrote:

I dow think we got anthing for Brandy; I think he just fudge off.

Har, he did.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Its fairly obvious to anyone with a brain, the extra income from our extra local derbies will more than cover our police bill. WHERE has the money gone AGAIN?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

rogerem wrote:Its fairly obvious to anyone with a brain, the extra income from our extra local derbies will more than cover our police bill. WHERE has the money gone AGAIN?

Do you think some of it may have gone back to the people who lent it to the club in the first place? :roll:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

http://www.thezonemk.co.uk/phpbb3/viewt ... c60c1d5f75

This made me laugh.

'Silent moaning bitches'

Oh the irony? If I'd closed my eyes for 90 minutes yesterday I honestly wouldn't have realised there was anyone in the stadium. Our support was cack in numbers and noise yesterday but you could have 150, 1,500 or 15,000 and you couldn't make a peep in that stadium. A nice Stadium for concerts, but without a doubt the worst, most souless, atmosphereless hole I can ever remember going to - it's surreal you don't feel like your at a game. The average age of the fanbase in there must be 6, terrible, terrible. Probably the worst away day on the map bar Gillingham.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:07 pm

4eva in my heart wfc wrote: what the hell was odonell doing again went for a ball he had not right to go for and missed everyhting and everyone and set the wall up rong, he is starting to single handidly risk us points every game.

This is getting ridiculous now.

How can you criticize a goalkeeper for a free kick so well placed that it went in off the post, boggles the mind.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Respect going out to Sadders. Informative, interesting, everything every Walsall bloke should wanna see. Keep it up mate. If I knew how to I would of said 'like'....I'm not on those facebooky twittery things though me old Pal. Keep up the good work.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
4eva in my heart wfc wrote: what the hell was odonell doing again went for a ball he had not right to go for and missed everyhting and everyone and set the wall up rong, he is starting to single handidly risk us points every game.

How can you criticize a goalkeeper for a free kick so well placed that it went in off the post, boggles the mind.

I don't blame the goalie, the defence jumped before the player had took the kick, so there where standing by the time the ball came over them.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
rogerem wrote:Its fairly obvious to anyone with a brain, the extra income from our extra local derbies will more than cover our police bill. WHERE has the money gone AGAIN?

Do you think some of it may have gone back to the people who lent it to the club in the first place? :roll:

We ain't got to go through it AGAIN have we Welshy?? ......Geordie .... Geordie.....Anyone seen Geordie?

4eva in my heart wfc

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:

in my opinion he set the wall up wrong, he came for a ball again yesterday and got no were near it, if he would have clattered bamford its a penalty all day, wich his poor decision making and poor communication and command of your area, the free kick was well placed but it was floated hardly had any zip on it.
he gave leyton orient the goal fact, he gave stevenage there goal, he pushed the ball into the strikers path against cov instead of pushing it wide, he never moved off his line for the swindon goal when he should have taken the ball. his decision making is poor!!!!
wich is the point i am trying to make he is going to cost us. that being said i think he has potential to be a good keeper.

mind boggles doesnt it

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

4eva in my heart wfc wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

in my opinion he set the wall up wrong, he came for a ball again yesterday and got no were near it, if he would have clattered bamford its a penalty all day, wich his poor decision making and poor communication and command of your area, the free kick was well placed but it was floated hardly had any zip on it.
he gave leyton orient the goal fact, he gave stevenage there goal, he pushed the ball into the strikers path against cov instead of pushing it wide, he never moved off his line for the swindon goal when he should have taken the ball. his decision making is poor!!!!
wich is the point i am trying to make he is going to cost us. that being said i think he has potential to be a good keeper.

mind boggles doesnt it

:roll:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season