Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Don't be deceived by Coventry City's position of 14th in the table - if they hadn't had the 10 point deduction they would be two points ahead of us. As it is they seem to have overcome any teething problems playing their home fixtures at Northampton's ground, and Steven Pressley's got them scoring almost for fun. Their 3 leading scorers (Wilson, Clarke and Moussa) have 10, 9 and 6 goals already, and although they've conceded a few they are still +8 in all League One games.

Coventry's last 6 League One games......

Sep 21 Port Vale (A) LOST 3-2
Sep 29 Brentford (H) LOST 0-2
Oct 5 Stevenage (A) WON 0-1
Oct 13 Sheffield United (H) WON 3-2
Oct 19 Wolverhampton Wanderers (A) DREW 1-1
Oct 22 Leyton Orient (H) WON 3-1

Whatever you may think about the trials and tribulations that Coventry City has been through (or heaped upon itself) it must be dispiriting to play a match at home to the League leaders in front of only 2,386. Yet they managed to win virtually at a canter, Orient's goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute - their unbeaten League record made history, in no uncertain terms. Mind you, Joe Murphy (remember him?) did save the penalty that would have made it 1-1..........

This should be a cracking good game,. and if we can reproduce the form shown in recent matches I think we can squeeze 3 points out of it - say by 2-1.

Whatever happens, it will still leave us very well in touch with the leaders - and if they keep dropping points we will catch them!!!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 pm

They're beatable, but they'll say the same about us. Our defence will have to be on top form, and we won't be able to afford so many missed chances like tonight, and against Stevenage.

However, confidence should be flowing so we'll win 4-3. Hemmings, Westcarr with a brace and Gray from the bench.

The run starts now, until May.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:They're beatable, but they'll say the same about us. Our defence will have to be on top form, and we won't be able to afford so many missed chances like tonight, and against Stevenage.

However, confidence should be flowing so we'll win 4-3. Hemmings, Westcarr with a brace and Gray from the bench.

The run starts now, until May.

The Super Reds V the Dingles in the play off final at Wembley??? Now that would be a party!! :) :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Whatever you may think about the trials and tribulations that Coventry City has been through (or heaped upon itself) it must be dispiriting to play a match at home to the League leaders in front of only 2,386.

I expect we will have 20,000 at home when we play Leyton Orient :D

Welsh_Saddler wrote: Yet they managed to win virtually at a canter, Orient's goal coming as a consolation in the 90th minute

Might have been different had they not missed a second half penalty at 1-0 down though.

1-2 Westcarr 6234 watching. Wish we were playing away.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:The Super Reds V the Dingles in the play off final at Wembley??? Now that would be a party!! :) :)

Super Reds send the Dingles postcards wishing them well at Wembley, having already secured automatic promotion would be even better.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:22 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:The Super Reds V the Dingles in the play off final at Wembley??? Now that would be a party!! :) :)

Super Reds send the Dingles postcards wishing them well at Wembley, having already secured automatic promotion would be even better.

I like your style my friend, but one final humiliation of the Premiership 'wannaby's' would be a really special treat!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Several (most?) of the Coventry squad are on Championship wages yet they are attracting "home" gates of around 2,000. How can they afford the wage bill? Who is bankrolling them? I thought that there was a % wage cap in League One? Who said that cheats never prosper?

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Several (most?) of the Coventry squad are on Championship wages yet they are attracting "home" gates of around 2,000. How can they afford the wage bill? Who is bankrolling them? I thought that there was a % wage cap in League One? Who said that cheats never prosper?

There is no doubt that Coventry can't cover their wage bill on the crowds they're getting. They are also still under a transfer embargo, having failed to file 2011/12 accounts for two of the three SISU-related companies that own/owned them. This is a matter that has now attracted the attention of the authorities who are currently deciding whether to instigate criminal proceedings against various SISU luminaries, including Coventry's Chief Exec Tim Fisher.

As with all clubs, Coventry will have had to give projections to the Football League regarding playing budgets and forecasted income in order to comply with salary cap regulations. As the transfer embargo has not been lifted it is safe to say that Coventry City are still merrily breaking the League One salary cap (ie cheating) this season, just as they did last.

What is equally astonishing is that the Football League are not only allowing them to do this but they have also relaxed the transfer embargo to allow them to sign players as others leave. The fact that one of these players is a current Scotland international and was signed on a two year deal from Hearts tells you everything you need to know about how "fair" this situation is on clubs in League One who try to do things by the book.

Frankly, it stinks.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 am

bangsection wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Several (most?) of the Coventry squad are on Championship wages yet they are attracting "home" gates of around 2,000. How can they afford the wage bill? Who is bankrolling them? I thought that there was a % wage cap in League One? Who said that cheats never prosper?

There is no doubt that Coventry can't cover their wage bill on the crowds they're getting. They are also still under a transfer embargo, having failed to file 2011/12 accounts for two of the three SISU-related companies that own/owned them. This is a matter that has now attracted the attention of the authorities who are currently deciding whether to instigate criminal proceedings against various SISU luminaries, including Coventry's Chief Exec Tim Fisher.

As with all clubs, Coventry will have had to give projections to the Football League regarding playing budgets and forecasted income in order to comply with salary cap regulations. As the transfer embargo has not been lifted it is safe to say that Coventry City are still merrily breaking the League One salary cap (ie cheating) this season, just as they did last.

What is equally astonishing is that the Football League are not only allowing them to do this but they have also relaxed the transfer embargo to allow them to sign players as others leave. The fact that one of these players is a current Scotland international and was signed on a two year deal from Hearts tells you everything you need to know about how "fair" this situation is on clubs in League One who try to do things by the book.

Frankly, it stinks.

Just keep breaking their hearts. Let them get into a play off position, then knock another 20 points off, and keep doing it until they get the message.

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Just keep breaking their hearts. Let them get into a play off position, then knock another 20 points off, and keep doing it until they get the message.

It will be interesting to see whether they do finally file the missing accounts and if this sheds any light on the ownership mystery - several websites have published documents that appear to show that the ownership of the club lay with the arm that went into administration whereas SISU always maintained that players registrations were transferred into a different company years before.

Can't see the League having any appetite for a fight though - the unusually low points deduction and transfer embargo that isn't a transfer embargo prove that. So I think further points deductions are unlikely. SISU will either bully their way to owning the Ricoh on the cheap or will pull the plug and Coventry will go under.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 am

bangsection wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

It will be interesting to see whether they do finally file the missing accounts and if this sheds any light on the ownership mystery - several websites have published documents that appear to show that the ownership of the club lay with the arm that went into administration whereas SISU always maintained that players registrations were transferred into a different company years before.

Can't see the League having any appetite for a fight though - the unusually low points deduction and transfer embargo that isn't a transfer embargo prove that. So I think further points deductions are unlikely. SISU will either bully their way to owning the Ricoh on the cheap or will pull the plug and Coventry will go under.

HMRC may have more of a hand. Aren't accounts so late a 'please explain' is in order. Turnover means they have to disclose more than the bare minimum, so breaking strain may be round the corner.

bangsection
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 am

As mentioned above, Companies House have threatened various SISU/Otium directors with prosecution over accounts that are now 8 months out of date. Would HMRC be involved, given that the Coventry City company that went bump had responsibility for nothing other than the lease of the Ricoh (or so they claimed)? When it comes to tax, I think they've kept their noses pretty clean.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 pm

bangsection wrote:As mentioned above, Companies House have threatened various SISU/Otium directors with prosecution over accounts that are now 8 months out of date. Would HMRC be involved, given that the Coventry City company that went bump had responsibility for nothing other than the lease of the Ricoh (or so they claimed)? When it comes to tax, I think they've kept their noses pretty clean.

Sorry, meant Companies. Was in a rush. They've even made the back pages of Private Eye recently, so it's more than iffy!!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Extremely tough game, potentially one of the toughest so far this season. Wilson and Clarke will be a handful and Butler, Downing et al. will need to be on top form. At the moment I would back us against anyone so I'm going for a thrilling 2-1 victory, Hemmings and Westy scoring infront of 6,621 (2,598 from Northampton :mrgreen: )

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Well what team will Mr GM send out Saturday?
I'm sure they will pass the Blue Sky's off the park but I have a feeling that we will have too much for them (as long as the lads haven't read too much in the media since
Tuesday on how brilliant they are :roll: )
So here goes with my prediction:-

3-1 Buckley, Handysides & Christie & Joachim for them
Turner in goal playing his usual solid game keeping Mr Kearns at the Wolfs.

7235 (2469 Blue Skys)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:42 pm

A 2-2 draw, with Sawyers and Westcarr for us, in front of 6,851, including 2,250 Sky Blues [and a few more unofficially in the other half of The Family Stand].

It would be great to get 7,000 or so, but I think we will be just short.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:30 pm

I think they will be at us from the kick off and we will be two goals down by half time. Smith to make changes early in the second half which will result in goals from Hewitt and Lalkovic as Coventry begin to tire. Added time will see a spectacular long range shot from Super Sammy Mantom. 3-2 to The Saddlers. :D

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 pm

They've signed another young striker on loan from Norwich in time to play against us.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 pm

How they can consistently pay for more and more players in their situation is beyond me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Tough game, we will have to play at our best to get anything out of it. Even with their deduction i think they will be up there at the end.

The only prediction i have for this game is goals.

Hopefully, even with it being at home, they come to attack us because that will play into our hands a bit more.

UTS

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 am

Hopefully, its the team that turned up the other night, rather than the unfathomable one against Preston, and less clinical one against Colchester and Bradford.

The confidence couldn't be higher after Tuesday, and we need to be first out of the traps, like then and get an early lead, then stifle their possession. Most importantly we need to keep set pieces to a minimum as they're strong in the air, and they'll know a certain someone isn't.

We raise our game for the sides on a run, as if to bring them down a peg, and keep proving people wrong, and I expect us to do the same.

A high scoring game which we'll scrape 3-2. Hemmings, Westcarr and Sawyers.

7,198 with over 3,000 from Coventry, but not officially as there's loads coming in our end.

Perkwins

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:40 am

2 - 1 to the mighty saddlers.

Westcarr and Sawyers again.

Attendance of 10,222 with over 4 thousand Coventry fans attending, but not paying the admission price.

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:53 am

WarsawPact wrote:

Super Reds sending them postcards FROM Wembley when they didn't even make the play-offs would be better still :)

As regards today's game, we will struggle to score I think, but I fancy us to nick a cheeky 1-0.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Starting line-up today:

O'Donnell

Chambers
Taylor

Featherstone
Downing
Butler

Mantom
Chambers

Hemmings
Baxendale
Westcarr

Substitutes: Purkiss, Lalkovic, Lewis, Benning, Hewitt, Sawyers, Gray.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Before the real action starts..and talking of substitutes...look who's warming their respective benches today:

Grigg

Westlake

Cuvelier

Paterson

What about Brandy, you may ask? Not even on the bench (possibly injured)

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Very, very nearly took the kids today. Thankfully my good friends reminded me of the information I learnt on here. Where's the devil dog?...Fancy a challenge?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Elsewhere...

Stevenage 1 Crawley 0 (5 min)

James Constable scores his routine goal for Oxford after 5 min

Sjoke leading at Old Trafford after 3 min (Peter Crouch)

(Edit... Tranmere Rovers 1 MK Dons 0, 6 min)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:16 pm

We appear to be somewhat under pressue - 11 minutes gone and Coventry have their third corner...they've already had three shots (1 on target). We aye had any!!

15 minutes.... how about Bradford 1 Dingles 0 :D

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Bradderrs good on....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Elsewhere... Sheffield United 1 Crewe Alexandra 0

Brentford 1 Shrewsbury Town 0 (which puts us out of the top 6 :( )

Coventry have now had 4 corners...

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season