Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Hereforawhile

Re: Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:
TofDover wrote:Last night watching the football show after showing the city goal the two pundits applauded the city manager on doing so well with the use of so many young academy players :? :? :?

You really need to stop beating yourself up.

Coventry City

• 01 Murphy – ex Scunthorpe
• 18 Phillips – 19 year old ACADEMY player – played 4 league games
• 03 Adams – signed after a loan deal from Sunderland – other loans included Brentford, Charlton, Northampton
• 06 Thomas - came through the ACADEMY
• 04 Webster – 31 year old from Hearts
• 24 Clarke – came through the ACADEMY
• 08 Baker - probably on lower end Championship salary
• 07 Fleck – from Rangers
• 09 Clarke - on lower end Championship salary
• 20 Wilson – through the ACADEMY – 26 games
• 14 Moussa – previously played for those high flying clubs Wycombe, Doncaster and Chesterfield.

Substitutes

• 13 Burge – ACADEMY – 0 league games
• 16 Barton – 30 games – bought from high flying PNE
• 17 Daniels – (used as a sub) - 11 games – ACADEMY player
• 21 Loza – 28 day loan youth deal from Norwich
• 25 Urquhart – 21 year old, just signed from Rangers
• 30 Garner – ACADEMY player – 2 league games
• 31 Haynes – ACADEMY – 0 league games

Injured

- Willis – ACADEMY player - 14 league games
- Christie – came through the ACADEMY

Rest of the Squad

- Haynes – ACADEMY – 1 league game
- Lobjoit – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Maund – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Rankin – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Gott - ACADEMY – 0 league games

Tight game - could have gone either way.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Our squad isn't strong enough to see this through 46 games.

HA HA HA HA HA. Good one. So what you're saying is that you're still paying Championship wages despite having the lowest crowds in the division and next-to-no commercial revenue outside of ticket sales? Whereas teams like Walsall and Shrewsbury - whose turnover is way in excess of Coventry's - have to make do with small squads of former youth team players, loanees and free transfers from the likes of Hereford, Rochdale and Wycombe, because we stick to the wage cap and pay our debts. Keep digging that hole.

What part of the supplied list did you fail understand, or read? Give me strength.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Did you not read what you typed.

You're a club with 2-2.5k crowds with no other income yet are still paying to some players "lower end Championship wages"

You're lucky the FL are weak, they should've wound you up. Their mandate is to keep everything fair, not allow unviable clubs to continue in bastardised guises.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:
TofDover wrote:Last night watching the football show after showing the city goal the two pundits applauded the city manager on doing so well with the use of so many young academy players :? :? :?

Coventry City

• 03 Adams – signed after a loan deal from Sunderland – other loans included Brentford, Charlton, Northampton
• 14 Moussa – previously played for those high flying clubs Wycombe, Doncaster and Chesterfield.

Substitutes

Injured

Rest of the Squad

Good luck for the rest of the season. Our squad isn't strong enough to see this through 46 games.

HA HA HA HA HA. Good one. So what you're saying is that you're still paying Championship wages despite having the lowest crowds in the division and next-to-no commercial revenue outside of ticket sales? Whereas teams like Walsall and Shrewsbury - whose turnover is way in excess of Coventry's - have to make do with small squads of former youth team players, loanees and free transfers from the likes of Hereford, Rochdale and Wycombe, because we stick to the wage cap and pay our debts. Keep digging that hole.

What part of the supplied list did you fail understand, or read? Give me strength.

I don't think it's a case of failing to understand, or read. It's more to do with a question of "principle". Your list of players and their derivation is admirable, but by your own admission you've got a couple of players who will definitely be receiving Championship wages, then there are players signed from Rangers who certainly won't be paid in buttons. The rest of the squad won't be playing for milk tokens, and even the products of your ACADEMY have mouths (and families?) to feed.

The question has to be this - how on earth can your club meet obligations like these while playing in front of an average 2,600 spectators at "home" games? Further to that, you're also supposed to be paying Northampton Town for the use of their facilities - how much would that be?

Silly me though - I forgot, your club doesn't really see any need to meet financial obligations, does it? :wink:

Aside from the sniping I'd love to know how the above sums add up, because it strikes me that you must be able to conjure money out of thin air IF (and it's a big IF) you are meeting all commitments with such a paltry income.

Hereforawhile

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Did you not read what you typed.

You're a club with 2-2.5k crowds with no other income yet are still paying to some players "lower end Championship wages"

You're lucky the FL are weak, they should've wound you up. Their mandate is to keep everything fair, not allow unviable clubs to continue in bastardised guises.

No mate, what I typed was a response to the subject of TFLS mention that we have a team and squad dependent on "former youth players, loanees and free transfers* (as someone here might put it). You decided to bring out the same old tiresome stuff. Oh, btw, ffp is based on the previous season's income.

Until we meet again. Be good.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:

No mate, what I typed was a response to the subject of TFLS mention that we have a team and squad dependent on "former youth players, loanees and free transfers* (as someone here might put it). You decided to bring out the same old tiresome stuff. Oh, btw, ffp is based on the previous season's income.

Until we meet again. Be good.

I'll be enjoying your second year onwards in Sixfields then.

Or will you just avoid doing the books?

Hereforawhile

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

Coventry City

Substitutes

Injured

Rest of the Squad

I don't think it's a case of failing to understand, or read. It's more to do with a question of "principle". Your list of players and their derivation is admirable, but by your own admission you've got a couple of players who will definitely be receiving Championship wages, then there are players signed from Rangers who certainly won't be paid in buttons. The rest of the squad won't be playing for milk tokens, and even the products of your ACADEMY have mouths (and families?) to feed.

The question has to be this - how on earth can your club meet obligations like these while playing in front of an average 2,600 spectators at "home" games? Further to that, you're also supposed to be paying Northampton Town for the use of their facilities - how much would that be?

Silly me though - I forgot, your club doesn't really see any need to meet financial obligations, does it? :wink:

Aside from the sniping I'd love to know how the above sums add up, because it strikes me that you must be able to conjure money out of thin air IF (and it's a big IF) you are meeting all commitments with such a paltry income.

Happy to have a reasonable convo and discussion without the sniping. But ain't easy on this forum - and should that be seen in itself as a snipe, I'll freely admit our forums are even worse for this.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:

No mate, what I typed was a response to the subject of TFLS mention that we have a team and squad dependent on "former youth players, loanees and free transfers*

Yes, and what you typed admitted that you aren't dependent on them. You have a handful in the squad, just like the 23 other clubs in the division (even Wolves and Sheffield United). Big wow. But more to the point you have players on Championship wages and others signed from the likes of Rangers and Hearts. Despite having the lowest crowds in the division. I'm sorry you think it's tiresome to play by the rules but if we could all just choose our own version of the rules to follow then we wouldn't have much of a sport left.
Hereforawhile wrote:btw, ffp is based on the previous season's income.

Ah, this is the crux of the matter. You believe any old nonsense that Tim Fisher spoon feeds you. 'ffp' (which is actually Salary Cost Management Protocol) is based on an estimate of THIS SEASON'S INCOME. It can't be stated any more plainly than that. I'm sure that Coventry have given an estimate which takes into account crowds of 8,000+ but fiddling the books would just be par for the course wouldn't it?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 pm

It's much better going away than watching them at home this year.

It's a shame that only 200 odd saw the display at Swindon.

If only they could sort this but teams are more open at the back when we play away and we can play possession football and exploit the openings when they appear. At home the possession football is not as effective as it is not played in the last third so teams can park the bus in the knowledge we will just play in front them.

We need someone up front to trouble defences and create openings to be exploited and to be able to put the chances away.

I think the keeper is a concern and when we play big teams corners and set pieces make us vulnerable

Ridiculous substitutions yesterday

Baxendale was seeing a lot of the ball and is capable of turning defences and got brought off for Gray a 30odd year old who
looked disinterested at best.

Then Westcarr for Hewitt unless there was an injury why would you bring off your leading scorer when you need a goal? For me Hewitt is a dale Banton never looked like getting a touch let alone scoring

However Hemmings was looking to take it to them so what happens subbed for sawyers did anyone else notice the cov centre backs high five each other - work done.

Need a striker and a keeper

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm

rogerem wrote:Lets blame evo and pad again?

I'm puzzled by this one :?

Strange game yesterday. Never really looked like getting anything out of it.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm

rogerem wrote:I think this site is barclays. My mate reckons apart from match days there's only 3-4 on here. No balanced views, just rip off mans Arsenal lickers. Where do the proper lads go now?

... and two of them are you!

Give Hercules an opple for me.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:
rogerem wrote:Lets blame evo and pad again?

I'm puzzled by this one :?

Strange game yesterday. Never really looked like getting anything out of it.

Cause you never went for a gypsies :)

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Lets see.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 am

Hereforawhile wrote:

No mate, what I typed was a response to the subject of TFLS mention that we have a team and squad dependent on "former youth players, loanees and free transfers*

Yes, and what you typed admitted that you aren't dependent on them. You have a handful in the squad, just like the 23 other clubs in the division (even Wolves and Sheffield United). Big wow. But more to the point you have players on Championship wages and others signed from the likes of Rangers and Hearts. Despite having the lowest crowds in the division. I'm sorry you think it's tiresome to play by the rules but if we could all just choose our own version of the rules to follow then we wouldn't have much of a sport left.
Hereforawhile wrote:btw, ffp is based on the previous season's income.

Ah, this is the crux of the matter. You believe any old nonsense that Tim Fisher spoon feeds you. 'ffp' (which is actually Salary Cost Management Protocol) is based on an estimate of THIS SEASON'S INCOME. It can't be stated any more plainly than that. I'm sure that Coventry have given an estimate which takes into account crowds of 8,000+ but fiddling the books would just be par for the course wouldn't it?

To be fair, they can't be done for breaching a salary cap, just as long as they never file any accounts!

OWEN1955

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Cowshed wrote:It's much better going away than watching them at home this year.

It's a shame that only 200 odd saw the display at Swindon.

If only they could sort this but teams are more open at the back when we play away and we can play possession football and exploit the openings when they appear. At home the possession football is not as effective as it is not played in the last third so teams can park the bus in the knowledge we will just play in front them.

We need someone up front to trouble defences and create openings to be exploited and to be able to put the chances away.

I think the keeper is a concern and when we play big teams corners and set pieces make us vulnerable

Ridiculous substitutions yesterday

Baxendale was seeing a lot of the ball and is capable of turning defences and got brought off for Gray a 30odd year old who
looked disinterested at best.

Then Westcarr for Hewitt unless there was an injury why would you bring off your leading scorer when you need a goal? For me Hewitt is a dale Banton never looked like getting a touch let alone scoring

However Hemmings was looking to take it to them so what happens subbed for sawyers did anyone else notice the cov centre backs high five each other - work done.

Need a striker and a keeper

FFS lets get a grip shall we - Below is the Walsall blog from 12 months ago -

October

No wins in seven games. We were unlucky (Orient), careless (Carlisle), sloppy (Vale), robbed (Shrewsbury) and all of the above (Crewe). But by the end of the month we seemed to be visibly losing confidence and tactically things were starting to go wrong.

Best Bit: The result was awful but our following for the live televised game against Town was superb.

Worst Bit: Hard to call between the final whistle signalling the first defeat in East Wales for about five decades, Crewe’s inevitable but undeserved, gut wrenching late equaliser or seeing Port Vale miss five penalties and still knock us out of the JPT.

Player of the Month: Flo Cuvelier (once more)

November

Meltdown. Total and utter meltdown. And it went deeper than just winless games eight to 14. There were performances that were little more than shambolic and it was increasingly hard to work out what the players were actually supposed to be doing.

Best Bit: In November? Behave.

Worst Bit: The fact that being 4-0 down at home to 10-man, second from bottom, Scunthorpe wasn’t the lowest point tells you everything. The Lincoln FA Cup defeat in front of 1,414 home fans was as bad as anything I’ve experienced in nearly 40 years as a Saddler.

If it doesn’t act as the catalyst for the long-overdue regime change at the club then I genuinely fear there will be many repeats of November.

Player of the Month: Not awarded

Fast forward 12 months and we sit 7th in league 1 - i know which i would prefer.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:53 pm

That's all well and good, but our performances and the management of the club this calendar year have somewhat altered expectations.

I'd like to think I was fairly pragmatic with my assessment of Saturday's game, rather than reacting with a knee-jerk. We're in a great position, but I don't think where we were 12 months ago carries that much relevance any more.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I can see why Deano set out like he did. Coventry seem to start games like a steam roller as of late so we looked to contain them. And, as predicted, they did come out the blocks flying at us. They tired around the half hour mark and that's when we started to come into the game. Half time came at a bad time for us, just as we got going we had to stop. The second half is where it all went wrong. Deano should've brought Sawyers on at half time for Mantom and tried to take the game to City rather than repeat the first half. But he didn't and once again we sat back. Inevitably we went one nil down. For what it's worth, O'Donnell should have come for it in the area in was in. Punch it, catch it, do whatever but stand on your like like a subbuteo keeper! Smith was then too slow to react to going one down. From Coventry's point of view, it was job done. They knew very well that all they had to do was put men behind the ball and they did this. We were too slow in the final third, allowed them time to re-group every time we had an attack. It was constantly get to the 18 yard line and then see how many passes we could string together across it. We brought Gray on and played him out wide on the right, why? He's a left winger and to be quite frank, he looked like a fish out of water on the right. Then on came Hewitt for Westcarr, who was doing rather well feeding off scraps. Hewitt, ineffective again. Then finally, with around 10 minutes to go on came Sawyers for Featherstone. Too little too late. We ended up with Mantom on the left wing, once again, why? I think Deano's decisions cost us dearly. The way we set up, I wasn't happy about but could see the thought behind it. However, he was too slow to react to the game changing in front of us and then when he did react, made completely bizarre decisions which put us out the game completely.

For a few positives, Featherstone was superb. Constantly got stuck in, never wasted a pass and created a fair bit of space in a very compact midfield. Fully deserved MOTM. Also, I thought on the whole, we were defensively solid, Butler, Downing and Taylor all having good games and dealt with Clarke and Wilson rather well.

Finally, my two pennies worth on the Sawyers/Featherstone home/away debate. Personally, Sawyers is a must for me at home. However, I'd have kept Featherstone in as he's been a revelation since returning to the team. Some of the criticism he receives is completely unwarranted. Pretty much all our attack yesterday had him involved in someway or another. He picks the ball up, and then lets others do the attacking work. Nothing wrong with that if you're giving the ball to someone like Sawyers who will make things happen. For me, it'd been Mantom who would have been dropped. That's no reflection on him, although I thought he wasn't at his best on Saturday.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

[quote=

FFS lets get a grip shall we - Below is the Walsall blog from 12 months ago -

October

No wins in seven games. We were unlucky (Orient), careless (Carlisle), sloppy (Vale), robbed (Shrewsbury) and all of the above (Crewe). But by the end of the month we seemed to be visibly losing confidence and tactically things were starting to go wrong.

Best Bit: The result was awful but our following for the live televised game against Town was superb.

Worst Bit: Hard to call between the final whistle signalling the first defeat in East Wales for about five decades, Crewe’s inevitable but undeserved, gut wrenching late equaliser or seeing Port Vale miss five penalties and still knock us out of the JPT.

Player of the Month: Flo Cuvelier (once more)

November

Meltdown. Total and utter meltdown. And it went deeper than just winless games eight to 14. There were performances that were little more than shambolic and it was increasingly hard to work out what the players were actually supposed to be doing.

Best Bit: In November? Behave.

Worst Bit: The fact that being 4-0 down at home to 10-man, second from bottom, Scunthorpe wasn’t the lowest point tells you everything. The Lincoln FA Cup defeat in front of 1,414 home fans was as bad as anything I’ve experienced in nearly 40 years as a Saddler.

If it doesn’t act as the catalyst for the long-overdue regime change at the club then I genuinely fear there will be many repeats of November.

Player of the Month: Not awarded

Fast forward 12 months and we sit 7th in league 1 - i know which i would prefer.[/quote]

Looking at the teams already played and the position we are in there is a genuine chance of getting to wembley this year. However everyone can see where we need to improve especially at home .sitting back and congratulating ourselves for improving upon last year would be no consolidation if we miss out after getting into this position

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Cowshed wrote:Looking at the teams already played and the position we are in there is a genuine chance of getting to wembley this year

Bet you've got the hotel booked already :wink:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Looking at the teams already played and the position we are in there is a genuine chance of getting to wembley this year

Bet you've got the hotel booked already :wink:

FFS don't start that again

I wouldn't curse my beloved team in such a way

I want to see them run out at wembley more than anything :D

rogerem
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Hereforawhile seriously needs to realise our board never ever ever ever has or does nothing wrong. Our chairman is our number one fan. He doesn't even get wages. We also have 1.5million in the bank to spend in January. Pop up the m6 soft lad.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Oh and by the way, the Eton Boat Song???!!!! How fudge gay is that?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

aaaae wrote:Oh and by the way, the Eton Boat Song???!!!! How donald gay is that?

It just depends which set of words you use..... :wink:

OWEN1955

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 am

WFC_Rob wrote:That's all well and good, but our performances and the management of the club this calendar year have somewhat altered expectations.

I'd like to think I was fairly pragmatic with my assessment of Saturday's game, rather than reacting with a knee-jerk. We're in a great position, but I don't think where we were 12 months ago carries that much relevance any more.

I can see where you are coming from with this , i personally think that the home games have been poor and we need to be more consistent in our games. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction more of i am glad we are not having a season like last year. In regards to O'Donnell i personally like him and think he will make a very good keeper for us , however he has to be more consistent as well , it's great that he is a good shot stopper as he has proven in the game against Wolves especially but he needs to be more consistent in the basics and come for crosses more and start to command his area as he did in the game against Oldham. However the team is a work in progress and i can only see it getting better as the season goes on. We have proven that we can match the best in this division when playing away but now need to start picking up the points at home as well.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 pm

OWEN1955 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:That's all well and good, but our performances and the management of the club this calendar year have somewhat altered expectations.

I can see where you are coming from with this , i personally think that the home games have been poor and we need to be more consistent in our games. It wasn't a knee jerk reaction more of i am glad we are not having a season like last year. In regards to O'Donnell i personally like him and think he will make a very good keeper for us , however he has to be more consistent as well , it's great that he is a good shot stopper as he has proven in the game against Wolves especially but he needs to be more consistent in the basics and come for crosses more and start to command his area as he did in the game against Oldham. However the team is a work in progress and i can only see it getting better as the season goes on. We have proven that we can match the best in this division when playing away but now need to start picking up the points at home as well.

You're right - O'Donnell needs to be more consistent, as do Baxendale and Mantom. The thing is though, they only way they're going to become more consistent is if we keep giving them the chance to learn. In the meantime, we'll just have to make do with the mistakes they make.

As long as we're all comfortable with that, there's no problem is there? I don't think there's much doubt that they've all got every chance of being really good players for us.

OWEN1955

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
OWEN1955 wrote:

You're right - O'Donnell needs to be more consistent, as do Baxendale and Mantom. The thing is though, they only way they're going to become more consistent is if we keep giving them the chance to learn. In the meantime, we'll just have to make do with the mistakes they make.

As long as we're all comfortable with that, there's no problem is there? I don't think there's much doubt that they've all got every chance of being really good players for us.

yes agree with your thoughts here, we are a work in progress, we don't have the mioney to buy top players like some in this division so we have rough diamonds that cost nothing but need a bit of shaping up to turn into top players and i think we have the manager and the coaches to do it. I have noticed people on here saying we are punching above our weight in this division and its true we are but the one thing i like about this team is they dont give up they keep playing and dont let their heads go down and this will keep us in good staed to hopefully have a very good season and make the play offs.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 pm

aaaae wrote:Oh and by the way, the Eton Boat Song???!!!! How donald gay is that?

No more so than "Everywhere that we go...we're not from West Brom...etc."

Cringeworthy.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Cringeworthy.

Sorry but I particularly liked "we're not from Coventry - rent dodging bastards..."

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 am

King Crimson wrote:

Cringeworthy.

agreed kc its embarrasing

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season