Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One Tue Oct 22nd, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
OWEN1955

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One Tue Oct 22nd, 7.45pm

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:17 pm

paddy wrote:saw the Swindon goal this morning and it's very harsh to be blaming O'Donnell for it. I'd have been pointing the fingers at the defenders more so. i'm a gk myself though so i'll always back a keeper when ever possible

if people are to blame him for the goal, then at least mention the good save he made later in the game from ranger. heard it was point blank. give him credit rather than knocking him all the time

Thoroughly agree with this comment, people always jump on the GK when they let one in. For me he's improved 10 times over than the beginning of the season. People commented that he didn't come off his line enough now they comment when he does he can't win although i admit the error on saturday could have been avoided, however he is coming for more crosses and catching the majority of them. and as above no one mentions the great save he did from Nile Ranger in the 90th minute. By the end of this season and under the tutorship of Mr Cutler he will become a very good keeperr thats cost us nothing so lets give him a chance shall we.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Don't think anyone is jumping on the goalie - he gets praise for alot of what he's done - just looks like he needs work on crosses.

Some comments from the Swindon goalie...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24635868#asset

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Just watched the highlights on the Sad player. I don't think O'Donnell will be happy with the way he dealt with it, but I would put the bulk of the blame on the centre backs who should deal with those kind of balls into the box.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:50 pm

aaaae wrote:Just watched the highlights on the Sad player. I don't think O'Donnell will be happy with the way he dealt with it, but I would put the bulk of the blame on the centre backs who should deal with those kind of balls into the box.

I've not seen it again yet, but I'd have thought Swindon fans will be praising their player for putting a ball into the box that was nigh on impossible to defend. Two sides to every story and all that.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

aaaae wrote:Just watched the highlights on the Sad player. I don't think O'Donnell will be happy with the way he dealt with it, but I would put the bulk of the blame on the centre backs who should deal with those kind of balls into the box.

This is the problem though. Defenders and a manager want the keeper to either come for it, or not. With O'Donnell noone, including himself knows what he's going to do, which causes indecision for everyone.

He's a good keeper, improving all the time, but ne needs to be more confident in his own ability. He can come out and claim crosses, he just needs to do it every time.

We can't keep affording needless goals, as we'll drop too many points.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Some comments from Swindon fans forum.

"The best away performance I have seen here in years"

"Walsall fantastic, barely a misplaced pass all match."

"We don't have to play Walsall every week." - :lol:

"Walsall outclassed us,"

"Walsall were fantastic and everything we were not.

Committed, pacy and skilful."

Ahh ay it great we even have admirer's these days :mrgreen:

SWS1

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Reading all that praise from the Swindon fans really gives me a warm glow. It's not easy to draw almost universal approbation from the opposition. If we can turn that form on week in and week out (including at home), well, anything is possible - even likely!
I wasn't there but I got the impression that we really should have beaten Colchester on the balance of play and chances and that we were a bit unlucky not to get something out of Bradford, too (hitting the woodwork instead of the back of the net). Anyway, let's hope expectations are not overheated for the weekend but that we can continue this fantastic form. :D
UTS! :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

highlights

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sMmwIGMJUE[/youtube]

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

This is the problem though. Defenders and a manager want the keeper to either come for it, or not. With O'Donnell noone, including himself knows what he's going to do, which causes indecision for everyone.

He's a good keeper, improving all the time, but ne needs to be more confident in his own ability. He can come out and claim crosses, he just needs to do it every time.

this.

the other aspect of this is, when a keeper makes the wrong decision, he has to see it through. in a home game towards the end of last season, johnstone came for a ball he couldn't win. instead of dithering in no man's land, he kept coming and cleared after the opposing striker's heavy 1st touch.

as you say, though, improving.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:31 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

this.

the other aspect of this is, when a keeper makes the wrong decision, he has to see it through. in a home game towards the end of last season, johnstone came for a ball he couldn't win. instead of dithering in no man's land, he kept coming and cleared after the opposing striker's heavy 1st touch.

Doesn't matter what the keeper normally does, if he doesn't call for it, and I assume O'Donnell didn't, the centre backs have to deal with it.

And who was marking the goal scorer?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:38 pm

aaaae wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

this.

Doesn't matter what the keeper normally does, if he doesn't call for it, and I assume O'Donnell didn't, the centre backs have to deal with it.

You miss the point. The defenders were drawn away from Ranger, because O'Donnell hadn't dealt with it, leaving him free. If they know he's coming and will claim the ball, they can concentrate on marking their man.

O'Donnell knows he cocked up, by the way he kicked the post afterwards. He's done it too often, and making superb saves at other times won't always make up for it, because the likes of Orient, last night and against Stevenage could have cost us more points in different circumstances. If they'd grabbed that second last night we'd have been clinging on to a game that was won, all down to an individual needless error.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 pm

The lad needs praise not having his mistakes analysed over and over. That's what would destroy a players confidence. His errors get highlighted more because he's a keeper, I forget no outfield player ever makes a mistake :roll:

Remember he's only 25 & for a keeper that's young & still learning. Judge him at the end of the season when he's had a full season

Be grateful we don't have a Richard McKinney, Jon brain or other drivel we've had over the years

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:08 pm

paddy wrote:The lad needs praise not having his mistakes analysed over and over. That's what would destroy a players confidence. His errors get highlighted more because he's a keeper, I forget no outfield player ever makes a mistake :roll:

Remember he's only 25 & for a keeper that's young & still learning. Judge him at the end of the season when he's had a full season

Be grateful we don't have a Richard McKinney, Jon brain or other drivel we've had over the years

Balls. Everyone criticise the likes of Westcarr, Hemmings etc, so O'Donnell shouldn't be excused.

As for the rest of your post. Try reading mine first.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
aaaae wrote:Doesn't matter what the keeper normally does, if he doesn't call for it, and I assume O'Donnell didn't, the centre backs have to deal with it.

You miss the point. The defenders were drawn away from Ranger, because O'Donnell hadn't dealt with it, leaving him free. If they know he's coming and will claim the ball, they can concentrate on marking their man.

O'Donnell knows he cocked up, by the way he kicked the post afterwards. He's done it too often, and making superb saves at other times won't always make up for it, because the likes of Orient, last night and against Stevenage could have cost us more points in different circumstances. If they'd grabbed that second last night we'd have been clinging on to a game that was won, all down to an individual needless error.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because my view is that until the keeper calls, the defender marks his man. If you don't get a call, you stick goal side of your man and defend the cross.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Having seen it again, you can't blame O'Donnell. It was a text very awkward ball into the box where neither defender or goalkeeper can deal with it allowing the striker to nod in. Yes O'Donnell look annoyed at conceding, but what keeper is happy about conceding any sort of goal!? I'd definitely attribute the mistake more to the defence than the keeper.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Yep, it was a case of it being too much for either defence or goalie - maybe fingers could be pointed at us allowing a free cross to be whipped into the box in the first place?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 pm

A good, confident keeper makes it his ball. Clayton would have plucked that out of the air, like picking a coconut from a tree.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:24 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Yep, it was a case of it being too much for either defence or goalie - maybe fingers could be pointed at us allowing a free cross to be whipped into the box in the first place?

You're right - as far as I'm concerned, whenever a goal is scored following a cross, there's always someone else to blame aside from the goalie.

As for last night's, I think O'Donnell should have come out to claim it. Everything happened in front of him and there were no defenders to worry about clashing with. With a bit more anticipation, he would, as MMF says! have claimed it with Ince-esque ease.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:A good, confident keeper makes it his ball. Clayton would have plucked that out of the air, like picking a coconut from a tree.

Yes, and we all recall how tall Clayton was - O'Donnell is not that sort of man-mountain is he? They're not really comparable if you use your (coco)nut.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:A good, confident keeper makes it his ball. Clayton would have plucked that out of the air, like picking a coconut from a tree.

Racist. :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 am

Enjoy

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/8987901/swindon-1-3-walsall

(Sorry, latvian. Just noticed that you have already posted the highlights. My excuse is that I was browsing on my phone.)

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Yep, it was a case of it being too much for either defence or goalie - maybe fingers could be pointed at us allowing a free cross to be whipped into the box in the first place?

Have a close look at the replay and watch Butler being pulled back by his player as the cross came in. There's a good argument we should have had a free kick anyway.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 am

Just watched the highlights for the first time and firstly the thing that struck me was the tenacity in closing down. Absolutely brilliant from us.

As for their goal well, maybe the defending wasn't great, and it was an awkward ball, but O'Donnell definately made a mistake. He will not be happy with that.

Not having a go at him - as has noone so far in my opinion, I think he is a promising goalie and like him, but any pro goalie would expect himself to deal with that. He aint an amateur - that ball should have been dealt with and i'm sure he's working hard to improve that area of his game. As a shot stopper, he really excites me - his refexes are amazing.

I think it could be a concentration thing with him. Against Wolves away for example, he was obviously well up for it, and looked solid on everything. That is the goalie he will be, week in week out for us, a bit further down the line. Maybe in games were we're on top more, his concentration goes a little, like it does sometimes for young goalies.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am

kshammer wrote:Not having a go at him - as has noone so far in my opinion, I think he is a promising goalie and like him, but any pro goalie would expect himself to deal with that. He aint an amateur - that ball should have been dealt with and i'm sure he's working hard to improve that area of his game. As a shot stopper, he really excites me - his refexes are amazing.

In fairness, there's a lot about O'Donnell that excites me too - like his shot-stopping, his distribution is exceptional most of the time, which is probably one of the main reasons Smith was so keen to sign him.

We need to realise goalkeepers under the age of 30 who don't mistakes are playing in the Premier League. O'Donnell's made a few mistakes for us since the start of the season, but the reassuring thing for me is that his weaknesses are probably the easiest things for a coach to improve.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
kshammer wrote:Not having a go at him - as has noone so far in my opinion, I think he is a promising goalie and like him, but any pro goalie would expect himself to deal with that. He aint an amateur - that ball should have been dealt with and i'm sure he's working hard to improve that area of his game. As a shot stopper, he really excites me - his refexes are amazing.

In fairness, there's a lot about O'Donnell that excites me too - like his shot-stopping, his distribution is exceptional most of the time, which is probably one of the main reasons Smith was so keen to sign him.

We need to realise goalkeepers under the age of 30 who don't mistakes are playing in the Premier League. O'Donnell's made a few mistakes for us since the start of the season, but the reassuring thing for me is that his weaknesses are probably the easiest things for a coach to improve.

I'd agree with that. Some goalies make loads of mistakes and play in the Prem and are number 1 for England. :lol:

Some of the saves O'Donnell has made this season have been astounding (Wolves away for example - i'd turned away as I was sure it was in) and have helped earn points more than once.

stourportsaddler

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:58 am

The one thing that has impressed me is his distribution, when was the last time we had a keeper who could kick with both feet?
He has a great goalkick out of his hands which doesnt disappear in the clouds he keeps it low and acurate which gives us a good chance of retaining possession.
I know he needs to work on his handling but after some of the keepers we have had over the years I'm more than happy and we have a great GK coach to help him along the way.
I'm not sure what some people expect at our level but I think this Guy will turn out to be one of our better choices.............
:)

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 am

Don't think this has been posted on here before, but they make interesting viewing for sad obsessives (like me)

There are 4 vids, here's the link to first one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgm7HvH1sho[/youtube]

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:58 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Yes, and we all recall how tall Clayton was - O'Donnell is not that sort of man-mountain is he? They're not really comparable if you use your (coco)nut.

According to a quick Google search, they're the same height at 6'2", so I'd say its very comparable. The thing Ince had was more confidence and experience.

Oh, and O'Donnell is about 3 inches taller than Walker, who didn't lack confidence in coming for crosses when he was the same age.

paddy
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:52 pm

just watched the Swindon goal again and the blame should be at the 2 defenders on the near post, for allowing the ball to clear them & then bounce around 8 yards out. there were enough defenders to clear the ball even before it got near the goal.

O'Donnell was annoyed cause the defenders cost him his clean sheet & probably a bonus

paddy
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

According to a quick Google search, they're the same height at 6'2", so I'd say its very comparable. The thing Ince had was more confidence and experience.

Oh, and O'Donnell is about 3 inches taller than Walker, who didn't lack confidence in coming for crosses when he was the same age.

This comes from playing regular, which he wasn't doing much of up until this season. Give him time and he'll be a quality keeper for us

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season