Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League One Tue Oct 22nd, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (A) League One Tue Oct 22nd, 7.45pm

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:A good, confident keeper makes it his ball. Clayton would have plucked that out of the air, like picking a coconut from a tree.

Yes, and we all recall how tall Clayton was - O'Donnell is not that sort of man-mountain is he? They're not really comparable if you use your (coco)nut.

According to a quick Google search, they're the same height at 6'2", so I'd say its very comparable. The thing Ince had was more confidence and experience.

Oh, and O'Donnell is about 3 inches taller than Walker, who didn't lack confidence in coming for crosses when he was the same age.

Clayton was a big bloke sideways too though, you wouldnt wanna be in the way of him coming at ya.

Like you say, its confidence, but sometimes young goalies have too much i think. Coming for crosses miles out, its all about learning when to be confident.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 am

As we've said before, every player that Walsall sign has a fault or an imperfection. We can't sign finished articles as they are out of our pay-league. The closest we get is players like Andy Taylor who are really good/developed players but who have/have had injury issues. The goalkeepers we sign are no exceptions - it's just that the position they play means that their imperfections are highlighted. O'Donnell is getting better. It was good to see him coming for the ball against Stevenage - I just hope the fact that he dropped one doesn't stall his growing confidence.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:42 pm

PT wrote:As we've said before, every player that Walsall sign has a fault or an imperfection. We can't sign finished articles as they are out of our pay-league. The closest we get is players like Andy Taylor who are really good/developed players but who have/have had injury issues. The goalkeepers we sign are no exceptions - it's just that the position they play means that their imperfections are highlighted. O'Donnell is getting better. It was good to see him coming for the ball against Stevenage - I just hope the fact that he dropped one doesn't stall his growing confidence.

We were also lucky enough to have one who was in the team for ten years and was Mr Reliable.

Im not really O Donnell's biggest fan at the moment, but at the end of the day, i watched Richard Mckinney and Andy (spit) Petterson in goal. *shudder*

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:04 am

I wish people would read. I've already stated that O'Donnel is a good, young keeper who is learning all the time. I'm always one of the first to defend players, and give them the benefit of doubt, and time to improve. More than most, I'd say.

This applies to O'Donnell too. I just find it a bit wearing that those who slated the likes of McKinney and Brain automatically defend him. Completely different circumstances, manager, defence in from of him etc.

I want Walsall to compete for the play offs this season, which we're capable of doing, but not if we gift goals away, which O'Donnell has done on a number of occasions already, with no one else to blame.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season