Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (H) League One Sat Oct 19th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Stevenage (H) League One Sat Oct 19th 3pm

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 pm

well nice to get back to winning ways at home but what should have been a very comfy last 30 minutes turned into a needless nailbiter
in the first half they left us great chunks of space to play in and we had time on the ball to pass like we know we can.
was typical stevenage hoofing long balls forward but the centrebacks mopped them up and distributed the ball into midfield with ease.
was nice to see pace from westcarr and sawyers and made their midfield sometimes look statuesque.
great goal from sawyers after a nice flowing move down the left and had a feeling we could rout them.
2nd half started same as 1st finished nice passing abd adam chambers seeming to have ball in every move.
no suprise to see us go 2 up with a lovely 15 yard shot at an angle and slide in maybe just off foot of post.
the only mistake from the improving goalkeeper led to a surprise goal when he came to claim a cross fumbled and was scrambled into an open net.

that led to a slight improvement from the hoofing stevenage but then out the blue they had a player sent off for what ill never know
was a run of strange refereeing decisions that were baffling but maybe he was trying to even match up,

then julian gray broke through late with a chance that looked easier to miss but hed only been on a few minutes so maybe he was rusty.

we held on and looked threatening in injury time and deserved the 3 points but should have been a lot me comfortable than it was.

stevenage wost footballing side ive seen in a while poor hoofing football and dirty tacklers when they havent got posession

if i was a stevenage fan id want manager gone and get someone in who can help them play passing football i hear its the future!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:51 pm

A much needed home win.

Westcarr is now officially a goal machine :) .

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:22 pm

We could do with a striker.

PERIOD

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:21 am

wednesburysaddler wrote:that led to a slight improvement from the hoofing stevenage but then out the blue they had a player sent off for what ill never know

It was for punching Paul Downing.

mossa

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:39 am

A much better and pleasing performance yesterday. Thank goodness Smith decided to go back to the old tactic of 4-2-3-1, at home we look a lot more balanced and attacking with this formation. Was going to do player ratings but would have given everyone a 7 other than O'Donnell and Taylor. O'Donnell was having an excellent game until he gifted them their goal so he would have a 6. Also Andy Taylor would have had a 9, I thought he was incredible yesterday. No wonder he is becoming a fans favourite, he is defending and attacking really well. I was a big fan of Matt Sadler but he has overtaken him for me now.

Pleasing to see a strong subs bench yesterday, we have a lot of options and quality on the bench. The only position we have no real cover is centre defence but I imagine we would sign someone on loan if anything happened to either Butler or Downing. Couple of tricky games coming up, I'd take 3 points from the next 2 games.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 am

Bristol Fan wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:that led to a slight improvement from the hoofing stevenage but then out the blue they had a player sent off for what ill never know

Clearly visible on the Football League Show coverage

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:42 am

Apparently Stevenage lost because they were all ill and only the assistant ref was the only person to see the punch. Apparently the assistant was being petulant because Westley had thrown a ball onto the pitch. Apparently Downing was strangling his player.
Got to love manager's excuses.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:47 am

We have couple of good number 10's for league one but our goal to chance ratio cannot be brilliant . Still need a number 9 to finish the chances created

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 am

Bristol Fan wrote:

These newfangled rules are just ridiculous. Ruining the game with their nit-picking.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:35 am

bangsection wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Westcarr on target for 20 goals this season and that's with him being rubbish and too slow :D

With the form he's in it's odds on someone will be in for him in January. :-(

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:37 am

Cowshed wrote:We have couple of good number 10's for league one but our goal to chance ratio cannot be brilliant . Still need a number 9 to finish the chances created

Why not give one of the number 10's a number 9 shirt - sorted :D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:We have couple of good number 10's for league one but our goal to chance ratio cannot be brilliant . Still need a number 9 to finish the chances created

Why not give one of the number 10's a number 9 shirt - sorted :D

But then they would have a number 10 and a 19 . Still need a number 9 !!!

SWS1

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:01 pm

The man's a moron. After the substitutions "..we took a bit of control..." he says. They were trounced and the only wonder is how we didn't get at least four goals (why do goalies always seem to have a blinder against us?) .
This is the first home game I've seen this season and I was well impressed with the performance and the standard of football (awesome at times) - but we gotta start capitalising on our superiority.
UTS :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:02 pm

What was good about yesterday was the way Smith changed to system to give us more going forward at home, and it worked. We actually played the ball in their half and looked dangerous around the box for a change - with most of that involving Sawyers. He has to play - simple as that.

I thought both Taylor and Hemmings were exceptional down our left hand side. Taylor is becoming a bit of an attacking threat in his own right, and Hemmings seems to have the bit between his teeth after Gray signing, which is a really good to see. Baxendale got better as the game went on, and showed why he needs to be in the side with that pass for Westcarr's goal - it was sublime. As for Westcarr himself, another clinical finish and more intelligent play with his back to goal from our second-rate striker. :roll:

What's frustrating is that we could have been four goals to the good before they pulled one back. That was the most one-sided win by a single goal I've seen for a long time.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:03 pm

The most comfortable 2-1 ever.

They did not have control of any part of the game.

I swear O'Donnell was bored and that made him go for that punch.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:The most comfortable 2-1 ever.

They did not have control of any part of the game.

I swear O'Donnell was bored and that made him go for that punch.

I/we made him do it Sir. Praise.

orkney_saddler

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:11 am

Living nearly 600 miles away from Walsall as I do, this was my first game since October last year. Obviously keep in touch using Saddlers Player and Depress and Star (plus this excellent website!!!), so was aware that good things were happening down at the Banks. Must admit that I was very impressed and can understand now why some of the possession statistics I a have been seeing are so high - we retain and distribute the ball amongst the team so well. Seems like Deano has been watching the Spanish approach like the rest of us. Rock solid defensive line - always knew that Andy Butler was special, good to see that Downing is solid alongside the 2 backs. Also seems to be the start of a good understanding with O Donnell - something that was sometimes absent even in the good old days with Clayton Ince an Anthony Gerrard! Can't say that I blame O Donnell too much for the goal - jumped with Stevenage thugs in front and behind so always a chance that the ball would 'bounce' loose. How many times would a ref not see that as interference these days anyway.

Was most impressed by the quality of our possession around the opponents box - passing back and forth looking for break, a far cry indeed from the Chris Hutchings days. The ability to maintain pressure on teams in this area is critical - and means we can always look to force a goal when needed (Colchester last week as an example). Line up of the forward line was very fluid, and switched between Westcarr, Hemmings, Baxendale or Sawyers as and when they moved about. Star players for me were Hemmings (who close up looks just like Theo Walcott) who was very tricky, and Baxendale, who worked his socks off attacking on both flanks. His pass through to Westcarr for the goal was magnificent - as was Westcarr's run and finish. As for the Westcarr debate, must admit that he appears a little slow at times - but he can't help that. What he does have is a footballing brain, he takes up positions well, supports and links up with those around him well, and as we saw yesterday he can finish (and what a finish it was). If he carried on then that's where 20+ goals are going to come from and you can't ask for more.

Overall I was highly impressed - the makings of a very good squad, and potentially one going places if a little bit of possession can be turned into goals. Thought at first that we missed a big target man up front, but having seen how we play I don't think a big target man fits with our style. What would be useful is a Jon Macken type player who can hold the ball with his back to goal, but we'll see. Someone who can shoot on the move from 20 yards out would have a field day with all the possession we have in that area.

What was evident was the work rate in the team - flat out from everyone, always someone covering or moving into space, with midfield tracking back to help out defence where needed. Dean has certainly drilled in the correct work ethic for the team, and team spirit is evident. This is where a manager earns his money and I must say that Dean appears to be earning his. Let's hope that he gets the support and backing that he needs and that people (employers and fans) stick with him when the going gets tough.

I have 1 more game before returning to the frozen north, and look forward to seeing Coventry next week. As for the Wolves, then I really hope that they remain unbeaten for the rest of the season so that our victory remains as the solitary sharp little thorn that sticks in their sides (and blots the copy book) for the record book.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 am

Excellent post. Welcome and you made the front page!

HaarlemPaul

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am

Fair distance that, 600mijl. Apparently I'm only 758km...
I agree with the posts. I thought we controlled the game really well.
They started brighter at the start of both halves and we stung them with some great fluid attacking.
After the goals they were easily nullified. Their goal was just a mishap on our side.
It was my first game of this season and the first since since witnessing the 4-0 demolition of Cov.
If anything I thought the team looked more balanced than last season. Plenty of options going forward but we do seem to be a bit shot shy. In and around the penalty area there are players queuing up but nobody wants to let fly. Still I thought Westcarr held the line well. He's not the quickest but he does have a presence and links up well. His goal was a true strikers goal. I felt Sawyers overdid things a bit. Was guilty of losing possession a couple of occasions but he is a very willing runner. Baxendale was great as well as Hemmings. Loved the way those 2 switch positions all the time. Almost Dutch 'Total Football'. And Mantom is a steady worker and very solid. Kept things neat and tidy. Overall a very positive performance. Although Stevenage did not offer much. They play horrid long balls from their wing backs looking for the runs of the strikers off the shoulders of defenders. Not very entertaining. Feel a bit sorry for the fans who have to watch that. Our defenders handled them very well. It was always going to be a physical battle and Butler and Downing were absolute rocks. Can't wait for the next time I'm over in the UK. Play-offs are calling I reckon.

Link: <https://maps.google.nl/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Jacobstraat,+Haarlem&daddr=Bescot+Crescent,+Walsall,+West+Midlands,+UK&hl=nl&geocode=FTZIHwMdaKVGACl3lrmQFO_FRzHbYwqy4SomJA%3BFUAoIgMd9Zjh_ylr5uUknZhwSDHQNySCcJqA_Q&aq=0&oq=bescot+Walsall,+West+Midlands,+UK&sll=52.586214,-1.982919&sspn=0.120774,0.22213&vpsrc=6&gl=nl&g=Walsall,+West+Midlands,+UK&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&ll=51.330612,2.351074&spn=7.951497,14.216309&t=m&z=6&dirflg=d>

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:58 pm

I can't stand Westley but fair play to him for coming on at the final whistle to shake hands with several Walsall players.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Super Gabor wrote:I can't stand Westley but fair play to him for coming on at the final whistle to shake hands with several Walsall players.

I hope they washed their hands afterwards.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Super Gabor wrote:I can't stand Westley but fair play to him for coming on at the final whistle to shake hands with several Walsall players.

When I saw him marching out of the dugout and across the pitch, I was expecting a confrontation with the ref. The last thing I expected was a respectable series of handshakes.

I was a little bit disappointed he didn't live up to what we've come to expect from him, if I'm honest. :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

When I saw him marching out of the dugout and across the pitch, I was expecting a confrontation with the ref. The last thing I expected was a respectable series of handshakes.

I was a little bit disappointed he didn't live up to what we've come to expect from him, if I'm honest. :lol:

I thought he was going onto the pitch to have a nice chat with the ref!

He does look a bit like Gordon Brittas and was hoping for a chant of "are you Brittas in disguise?"

SWS1

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

I think he was so relieved they hadn't got tanked by 5 goals, like they deserved, he was in a good mood! Didn't stop him coming out with (ventriloquist's) gollocks after the game, though. :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
He does look a bit like Gordon Brittas and was hoping for a chant of "are you Brittas in disguise?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

newjersey exile

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 pm

I have to agree with Orkney Saddler.

I came a bit further than he did though - 3,370 miles - transatlantic!

And it was worth every bit of the rigmarole and expense. Loved hearing people talking proper for a change!

Love the way we're playing but it would be nice to see them have a go more from range - they were messing about a bit too much on occasion - it was pretty but I'd have liked to have seen a few more shots.

If that's all I have to moan about then I'm a happy girl.

Great result at Swindon too - got off the plane yesterday, drove straight home and got the commentary on!

happy days - happy days - and long may it continue!

Up the saddlers!!!!!!

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season