Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester Utd (A) League One Sat Oct 12th

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Colchester Utd (A) League One Sat Oct 12th

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:49 pm

so have the strikers been practising their accuracy, midfield been practising their quick support runs, wingers/midfielders learned to play the simple, quick ball into space....or is it being left as it is because it is thought good enough? Without seeing the reality as it is and making the changes...I think the hopes of saddlers for easier games now are a delusion. 1 goal and less a game will make every single opposition team in the division a favourite

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Hit the cross bar, hit the post, had one cleared off the line...............hmmmmn is it going to be one of those days ?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Half-time Colchester 1 Walsall 0 -------- although we're winning on corners, 8-0 !! :shock:

Leyton Orient have equalised against MK Dons to make it 1-1
James Constable (remember him?) has scored for Oxford against Northampton

Is it too early to consider impact substitutions?????

Attendance 2,945 :shock:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:09 pm

I hope that Smith isn't considering substitutes that won't make an impact, Welsh :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Half-time Colchester 1 Walsall 0 -------- although we're winning on corners, 8-0 !! :shock:

Leyton Orient have equalised against MK Dons to make it 1-1
James Constable (remember him?) has scored for Oxford against Northampton

impact substitutions??Is it too early to consider ???

Attendance 2,945 :shock:

What about a striker eh? Oh I forgot, Deano continues to stubbornly insist that we "do not need a hitman up front"
Lets hope for a 'Montenegro' type own goal to salvage a draw eh?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:17 pm

It's bound to be difficult for us to score. Obviously their keeper's playing out of his skin....some chap called Walker - I was wondering when Ji :shock:

Update: Crewe now 0-2 ahead at Preston, and Swindon now 0-3 up at Rotherham !!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:32 pm

71 minutes....Sawyers and Gray on for Featherstone and Baxendale.....

Leyton Orient 2 MK Dons 1 latest

(Edit....Downing booked for handball)

Further edit....Hewitt on for Hemmings, 82 minutes. Too little, too late (again) ?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Please Deano please take on a recognised striker...before our season is over before it started! :(

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Get the fudge in

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Goal! TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYLOOOOOOOOR!!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm

GET THE fudge IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:57 pm

ANDY TAYLOR !!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D 1-1

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:57 pm

:D It seems like we deserved that :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Great, but the left back? how many shots do we have to have to scrape a draw against a mediocre 4th division outfit like the 'u's' , I'm pleased with the point but we need to 'put away' more than we are managing...

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Fantastic...justice done!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:00 pm

sallian wrote:so have the strikers been practising their accuracy, midfield been practising their quick support runs, wingers/midfielders learned to play the simple, quick ball into space....or is it being left as it is because it is thought good enough? Without seeing the reality as it is and making the changes...I think the hopes of saddlers for easier games now are a delusion. 1 goal and less a game will make every single opposition team in the division a favourite

Agreed, there can be no "easy" games. However, look at the bare statistics against Colchester today. We had:

Twice as many on-target attempts
Twice as many off-target attempts
15 corners to Colchester's one.

You can't really ask for much more in terms of trying to score, can you?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Buy or loan don't care but get a fudge proper striker signed. Lovely build up play by all players but no one to finish. Why does Smith persist with saying we we don't need one and then shove Butler up front to play the role of a makeshift hustling, bustling striker? Listening to Dingle FM, Butler had load of chances to score with his head. This means the balls are getting to a 'big' target man but he is a fudge defender for bollocks sake. :evil:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Ideal last minute joy!

Piss off cockneys

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Yes we have forwards the envy of the first division (according to Dean Smith) especially Andy Taylor. :oops: :oops:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:25 pm

244 relieved Saddlers at Colchester today.

SWS1

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Feels like a victory - or, at least, a "got out of jail" in the end. Obviously it's not good enough: all that possession and all those attempts on goal for one measly score in the dying (dead?) minutes. It's not good enough. If we are to get something really good out of this season (we won't on current form) we need to be able to beat teams like this (and avoid losing at home to teams like Bratford). So we won't be "up there with them" but I DON'T envisage a struggle at this stage. I keep thinking about the pundits on TV who picked us ( :shock: ) and the Os ( :roll: ) as "dark horses for promotion". Well, we're very dark and more like ponies at the moment.
Glass half full, but only just.
:)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Listened to the game on Sadsworld. It sounded like we battered them. Another good away point. well done :D

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:so have the strikers been practising their accuracy, midfield been practising their quick support runs, wingers/midfielders learned to play the simple, quick ball into space....or is it being left as it is because it is thought good enough? Without seeing the reality as it is and making the changes...I think the hopes of saddlers for easier games now are a delusion. 1 goal and less a game will make every single opposition team in the division a favourite

Agreed, there can be no "easy" games. However, look at the bare statistics against Colchester today. We had:

Twice as many on-target attempts
Twice as many off-target attempts
15 corners to Colchester's one.

You can't really ask for much more in terms of trying to score, can you?

Yes its good Welsh_Saddler that they didn't concede too many, didn't lose and at least did manage to score and were at least trying to. Without witnessing it, I don't know whether they were quality shots and chances or just efforts below the needed level. But as soon as they went down one nil...sadly I correctly predicted 'Thats it, they wont win now as one goal is the most they can manage at the moment..so its either a loss or a draw" I shouldn't be able to predict that, as 90mins is a long time to score for player who are deciated to playing football and are paid more than enough to do so.

I think one of the main problems is setting low goal scoring and chance creating standards. If they had much higher ambitions on an individual and collective level to score many goals, every game and be dedicated to continuous chance creation...I think they would score more. Individual sportsmen and teams who regularly achieve good results usually have a philosophy of high standards and big ambition, obviously tied with the appropriate efforts. If a man regularly does 25 press ups and thinks he can't do many more instead shakes himself, and declares with conviction "I will do 100 right now" If he doesn't reach 100 or 100+ he will highly likely do much more than 25, maybe 60 or something. Doing the same old things generally gets the same old results, but a radical change in mentality can get outstanding results.
Last edited by sallian on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:29 pm

4143 wrote:
Andy W Taylor wrote:I don't think our overall record against the U's is that bad, especially at home (won our last 2 against them at the Banks's). We have won at the Pain-To-Park Stadium since they moved there, although admittedly that was on our 1st visit in 2008 and we've lost the 4 other games there since (mostly due to dodgy reffing decisions involving unwarranted red cards, penalties, and lack of understanding of the off-side rule), but I wouldn't say they were a bogey side.

I think the 5-0 is still in a lot of people's minds. It certainly is mine. :|

Mine too. Wasn't that the game when it was all over by half-time and our 'keeper chucked Doffer the gloves to go in goal when the players came out for the second-half?

As for today, a point is fine away IF we are winning at home, but we're not doing that. As I've said many times (and I know it's stating the bleedin' obvious), it's better to win at home and lose away than keep on drawing all these games. It was all those drawn games that kept us out of the play-offs last season, and it could well be the same again this season unless Deano recognises the need to get a striker in and get these chances put away.

Statistics suggest we won this game by a mile, sadly we don't get points for any statistics except "goals for" in excess of "goals against".

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Just back had enough chances to win several times over .... Butler was immense again , we over played the passing game at times ... Should have won Gray game on and looked ok played well

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Just got back too, I almost fell asleep during the second half as we had everything in our locker other than the killer pass and finish. We DEFINITELY need to play 4231 no matter what, whether it is away from home or at home - it is far too negative and resorts to us playing in backwards triangles, offensively we need that centre forward in the hole to keep us creating chances.

Also, what a fudge free kick from Andy Taylor, top stuff.

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Its all very well picking up "good away" points - but we aren't clocking up the 3 points at home.

Its pretty simple we will pick up enough points to get a respectable and credible L1 finish ... But with striker capable of winning ugly games ... Like a Rambo, Goodman, Jabo who knows

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 pm

mister marmite wrote:Its all very well picking up "good away" points - but we aren't clocking up the 3 points at home.

Its pretty simple we will pick up enough points to get a respectable and credible L1 finish ... But with striker capable of winning ugly games ... Like a Rambo, Goodman, Jabo who knows

Jabo? His 3 goals a season would make all the difference.

SWS1

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
It would be nice to get the taste of Bradford out of our mouths with a convincing win, but as Colchester have drawn half of their League games I'm going for a 1-1 result, with our goal coming from Andy Taylor.

Got that one spot on, Welshie. :D Did you have a flutter on it? :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:45 pm

SWS1 wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
It would be nice to get the taste of Bradford out of our mouths with a convincing win, but as Colchester have drawn half of their League games I'm going for a 1-1 result, with our goal coming from Andy Taylor.

Got that one spot on, Welshie. :D Did you have a flutter on it? :wink:

:oops: :oops: :oops: Nope....I wonder what odds I could have got? :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season