Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester Utd (A) League One Sat Oct 12th

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Colchester Utd (A) League One Sat Oct 12th

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:36 am

Picking up on OTIS' thread on AAW, there have been 36 posts since Welsh posted the team news at 2:34 yesterday.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:03 am

chestersaddler wrote:Picking up on OTIS' thread on AAW, there have been 36 posts since Welsh posted the team news at 2:34 yesterday.

36 posts is perhaps less than might have been expected, but it still doesn't justify a thread entitled "Was there a game on today?" :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

Should have won, Gray looked good going forward and Sawyers is a must from now....Surely?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:27 am

Cheesebag wrote:Should have won, Gray looked good going forward and Sawyers is a must from now....Surely?

Listening to Smith yesterday Sawyers is not going to be a regular starter. Doesn't seem to think when we play with 2 wide men the system suits him.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Just got back too, I almost fell asleep during the second half as we had everything in our locker other than the killer pass and finish. We DEFINITELY need to play 4231 no matter what, whether it is away from home or at home - it is far too negative and resorts to us playing in backwards triangles, offensively we need that centre forward in the hole to keep us creating chances.

Also, what a donald free kick from Andy Taylor, top stuff.

Agree with Jonny, was one of the most infuriating games to watch. Not 'cause we played badly, just because of us missing that killer pass in the final third. Thank god for Andy Taylors super strike in near enough the last kick of the game!

We looked more like creating something when Gray and Sawyers came one and I personally feel playing Hewitt up front yesterday may have helped us to get goals yesterday. Just purely through his movement and work rate to help create space and open up chances for others. I like Westcarr and think he should play but behind Hewitt.

Oh and what a terrible place Colchester is, a Jaunt to get to, horrible stewards, nothing around the ground apart from one burger van and not a very nice ground!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:
Oh and what a terrible place Colchester is, a Jaunt to get to, horrible stewards, nothing around the ground apart from one burger van and not a very nice ground!

Looks like Colchester fans agree. Less than 3,000 there yesterday with no West Ham game on? Ouch.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:48 am

chestersaddler wrote:Picking up on OTIS' thread on AAW, there have been 36 posts since Welsh posted the team news at 2:34 yesterday.

And, count how many of those posters hold the same theory that Deano seems so stubbornly oblivious too...................
Pray tell Deano how many 3rd & 4th Division sides play without a recognised striker? (I'm sure MMF will tell us! :) )
I've played footy, I've been a ref, I've watched footy for over 50 years, who, apart from Barcelona (who possess such sickeningly fabulous talent anyway).. and Worsul, play strikerless? How many 'attempts' on goal was it yesterday, 19?
My hearts bleeds that we are coming away from sides like Colchester feeling happy with a 1-1 draw! :(

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:59 pm

If only Deano could see sense and get a striker, surely we'd be top 6 material then!?

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:30 pm

West ham played without any recognised strikers away at spurs and won 0-3 last week but i guarantee when andy carrolls back fit he will be straight back in the side at our level having a big target man is a must its just finding the right one for the right money that's the problem .

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Lowest goalscorers in the top 13, 7th lowest scorers in the league. In desperate need of a striker.

The loss of Brandy, Grigg and Paterson represented 44 goals and countless assists. They were replaced with Hewitt and lalkovic ! It ain't rocket science to see where we've gone wrong!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Lowest goalscorers in the top 13, 7th lowest scorers in the league. In desperate need of a striker.

The loss of Brandy, Grigg and Paterson represented 44 goals and countless assists. They were replaced with Hewitt and lalkovic ! It ain't rocket science to see where we've gone wrong!

None of them were the big striker that some are craving for. Agree though that we need more quality up front, someone with the ability to take more chances than he misses.

Incidentally, none of the three who left are tearing it up at their new clubs.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:24 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Lowest goalscorers in the top 13, 7th lowest scorers in the league. In desperate need of a striker.

None of them were the big striker that some are craving for. Agree though that we need more quality up front, someone with the ability to take more chances than he misses.

Incidentally, none of the three who left are tearing it up at their new clubs.

Or tore it up before last season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

And, count how many of those posters hold the same theory that Deano seems so stubbornly oblivious too...................
Pray tell Deano how many 3rd & 4th Division sides play without a recognised striker? (I'm sure MMF will tell us! :) )
I've played footy, I've been a ref, I've watched footy for over 50 years, who, apart from Barcelona (who possess such sickeningly fabulous talent anyway).. and Worsul, play strikerless? How many 'attempts' on goal was it yesterday, 19?
My hearts bleeds that we are coming away from sides like Colchester feeling happy with a 1-1 draw! :(

I've been saying since the close season we need a striker, particularly a number 9 type who can hold the ball up. It doesn't have to be a donkey, as Grigg played the role well last season.

Every time we play against Jabo, he reminds of what we're missing since he left.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Listened to the game on Radio WolvesMore and I have never heard such a one-sided game - frustrating only coming away with a point but would have taken anything going into injury time. Just saw Taylor's free kick - sublime, also very decent efforts from Mantom and Baxendale which were unlucky not to find the other side of the upright and post. To those who were there, how did Julian Gray play? Sounded like he had an influence when he came on and looked threatening with putting some dangerous balls in the box? Would you start him next game or use as an impact sub again?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Listened to the game on Radio WolvesMore and I have never heard such a one-sided game - frustrating only coming away with a point but would have taken anything going into injury time. Just saw Taylor's free kick - sublime, also very decent efforts from Mantom and Baxendale which were unlucky not to find the other side of the upright and post. To those who were there, how did Julian Gray play? Sounded like he had an influence when he came on and looked threatening with putting some dangerous balls in the box? Would you start him next game or use as an impact sub again?

I felt Gray played really damn well, you could definitely the experience and quality that he has compared to the likes of Hemmings who constantly ran into trouble, even though he did play well yesterday. He put in a ball yesterday that was begging to be put into the net, and was very unlucky that it caught both Hewitt and Westcarr by surprise at the back post. I definitely think he needs to start, he just oozes quality.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Gray was a man on a mission yesterday, baxendale and hemmings had no directness or aggression, soon as gray came on he just managed to make room for himself when he had the ball to enable him to put in good passes and crosses.

he looks in good shapes.

definitely something to look forward too.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 am

I also listened on WM and have to agree with DY regarding how one sided it sounded.

I can only think that Smith believes in backing the attackers he's got in the same way he did with the 3 last year (who took a while to get into their strides and then ripped it up). Personally I think a striker is needed - not a big man either, but someone quick who can unsettle defenders and create space - but it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Every time we play against Jabo, he reminds of what we're missing since he left.

I absolutely loved Jabo when he played for us. You're right - he'd do a great job for us now too. The likes of Sawyers, Gray, Westcarr & Baxendale would have a field day playing behind him, as they'd know he'd be able to hold the ball up every time he got it to his feet.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:45 pm

On radio w m last week smith said that he didn't have a striker problem as he was happy with the number of chances being created. When asked the question again on Saturday after seeing numerous chances going begging he said that finding someone to put the ball in the onion bag was expensive. So it seems at last some admission of a problem. I understand the stance of only bringing in someone who is better than we have got and if we can't afford to then so be it. However if you consider hemmings, Hewitt, west car and lalkovic then I can't image any club above us would take any of these if offered on a free transfer and I think we will struggle in the last third of the pitch unless some ambition is shown. It's been a solid start to the season but everyone can see where improvements can be made

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Every time we play against Jabo, he reminds of what we're missing since he left.

I absolutely loved Jabo when he played for us. You're right - he'd do a great job for us now too. The likes of Sawyers, Gray, Westcarr & Baxendale would have a field day playing behind him, as they'd know he'd be able to hold the ball up every time he got it to his feet.

Sorry - can't agree with that. I think that you are recalling his performances through rose-tinted spectacles. I remember Jabo as being average at best (which wasn't too often) and he only really started to "put in a shift" as his contract drew to a close and he wanted a new one. Of course, this lift in form came to the attention of MK Franchise who offered him the chance to double his wages and double his contract length.

We still do need a centre-forward though. As Deano says, that is likely to be very expensive - unless some kind-hearted Premier League team (is that an oxymoron?) agrees to loan us a promising striker.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 am

Pedagogue wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Sorry - can't agree with that. I think that you are recalling his performances through rose-tinted spectacles. I remember Jabo as being average at best (which wasn't too often) and he only really started to "put in a shift" as his contract drew to a close and he wanted a new one. Of course, this lift in form came to the attention of MK Franchise who offered him the chance to double his wages and double his contract length.

And why would they offer that? :roll:

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:48 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Is it because they wanted to keep the bench warm Tone?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 am

saddla wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Is it because they wanted to keep the bench warm Tone?

Pedagogue's short sighted opinion is on that he (and many) share about Westcarr, despite anyone with a brain clearly seeing what they offered the team.

And Ricketts. And Lightbourne. Racism aye it.

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:30 am

and Grigg,taundry,westlake,the bald messi :oops:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

windowman wrote:and Grigg,taundry,westlake,the bald messi :oops:

Racist!

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
windowman wrote:and Grigg,taundry,westlake,the bald messi :oops:

Racist!
:D