Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Oldham Athletic 2/10/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Oldham Athletic 2/10/13

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Walsall 3-1 Oldham Athletic

Saddlers

Richard Jones

Ben George (Captain)
Dean Holden
Matt Preston
Malvinder Benning (Rico Henry, 71st min.)

Carlton McKenzie
Reece Flanagan
James McQuilkin (Liam Kinsella, 80th min.)
Julian Gray (Wes Rush, 71st min.)

Amadou Bakayoko
Kieron Morris

Unused Substitutes
Alex Dallison
Rhys Lovett (gk)

Manager:- Richard O'Kelly

Goal Log
1st min. - 1-0 - Bakayoko marks his Reserve Team début by scoring after 11 seconds!
43rd min. - 2-0 - Bakayoko races through to coolly finish off a slick move.
65th min. - 3-0 - Preston heads in Gray's cross at the far post.
90th min. - 3-1 - Jones makes his only mistake of the match by allowing Jordache Walters to sneak in front of him to back-head the ball into the net.

Walsall cruised to a comfortable victory which should have been by a much bigger margin. It is amusing to read the Oldham report (below) stressing how young their team was. Well, apart from Holden and Gray, I would hardly describe our lot as veterans! We had four youth team players in our starting line-up and five more on the bench. Still, I suppose they've got to try to put a positive spin on it. "How did Julian Gray play?" I hear you ask. He wasn't particularly impressive, without actually playing badly. He was guilty of the miss-of-the-match, in the first half, when a superb run and cross from Benning left him with an open goal. He sliced his shot wide - and that with his favoured left foot! Is he ready for a first team recall? On this display alone - no. However, he may well have been impressing up at Essington.

The player who will really be attracting attention is Bakayoko who has been in a rich vein of scoring form for the Youth Team. He has continued in the Reserves. I can see him knocking on the First Team door, sooner rather than later. Not ready yet - but he soon will be!

WFC version:- http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ ... 86698.aspx

The opposition's point of view:- http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/ar ... 91126.aspx

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Reserves v. Oldham Athletic 2/10/13

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 am

Send Lalkovich back at the end of his loan spell - push Bakayoko up to the front line! #homegrown

Return to 2013-14 Season