Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
rogerem
UTS Legend

Re: Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Cash needed for a striker, simple really. How can we pull a goal back playing beautiful football with no quality to end it. MONEY......Now please.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Baxendale on but why wait until 0-2 down and only 30 mins left?
I hope this wakes them up a little to the massive vacuum in attack.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 pm

rogerem wrote:Cash needed for a striker, simple really. How can we pull a goal back playing beautiful football with no quality to end it. MONEY......Now please.

From what I have seen so far this season with my own eyes, I don't agree with this widspread opinion of beautiful football. Beautiful football is about engineering chances continuously in an efficient manner....i.e. running off of ball, passing options, and passes into space (to be attacked by runners) or to free men in space.

I see this formula lacking in Walsall...I see much pointless passing, and failure to deliver the ball on time, and failure to attack space with men and the ball. Four men trying to deliver the ball to one man or two...after the opposition managed to assemble into defence...is not a winning strategy.

What I do see that Dean Smith has created is some possession keeping ability and good spirit of collective defense as a team. These are the two main attributes. There are some abilities that are not being utilised or directed in terms of strategy, emphasis and ambition.

Its wrong to be fooled by good results on a zero budget etc....it is a good achievement in terms of results, but the reality of what happends during games on the pitch has to be honestly judged. In many games you will ask 'Where is a goal going to come from'

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Attendance 5,364

All of a sudden we seem to be raining shots in on the Bradford goal. It may be a case of "too little, too late" though.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:37 pm

71:32 Attempt missed. Ashley Hemmings (Walsall) left footed shot from outside the box is too high.
68:25 Attempt missed. Ashley Hemmings (Walsall) left footed shot from the centre of the box misses to the right.
66:13 Attempt missed. Paul Downing (Walsall) right footed shot from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the right.
65:31 Attempt blocked. Sam Mantom (Walsall) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

at least they are taking some shots.....more shooting training needed.....five hundred shots at goal everyday.....from different angles, distances, both feet.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 pm

"77:59 Attempt missed. Ashley Hemmings (Walsall) left footed shot from the centre of the box is high and wide to the right."

Ashley Hemmings is good at hitting the ball high and wide of the goal....maybe tell him to aim high and wide of the goal and he might get something on target.

It makes me think that people choose to be strikers just because of the glory and not because they found they are actually good at it.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Attendance 5,364

All of a sudden we seem to be raining shots in on the Bradford goal. It may be a case of "too little, too late" though.

Too little, too late...and too little accuracy

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Far from shutting up shop, Bradford have brought on their newly-signed striker for the last 8 minutes or so. Watch him score....... :(

Edit... Someone's discovered where the goal is - latest Notts County 4 Crewe 0 :shock:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:51 pm

"82:51 Attempt missed. Ashley Hemmings (Walsall) left footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses the top left corner. "

hypnosis CD for Ashley Hemmings "I must shoot between the posts and under the bar, i must shoot between the posts and under the bar, I must get my knee over the ball, I must kick through the ball with toes pointing towards the goal on the follow through, I must connect with the ball in the centre, I must check my football boots actually suit the way I connect with the ball, i must not lean back, i must not connect with the ball too low"

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:00 pm

In tennis, to improve any shot's accuracy...the basic drill is to hit the ball thousands of times day in day out so the mind and limbs naturally fine adjust so that the trajectory and contact angle are correct at different hitting lengths and angles.....the excat same case applies with passing a football or striking for goal....but I have a feeling that most coaches don't get this fact. ANY STRIKER no matter how naturally inept...will improve his accuracy greatly if he does the same thing. Obviously its not only the striking accuracy that is the problem, but its the positional play and chance creating. But please coaches....get 500 footballs and make the midfielders/strikers practice MUCH MORE.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:03 pm

poor result after the previous four, yes Bradford maybe a top team...but I don't see things getting any easier with any teams below...could end up struggling to stay away from the bottom end if the attack does not significantly improve. Sorry for flooding the board...but it is frustrating

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm

As has often been the case in recent years, our home form is letting us down.

I've seen all of our home wins this season and I live in Hong Kong.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Subs the wrong way round. Start with Sawyers and Bax, bring on Hewitt and Lalkovic if we need pace against a tiring defence.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Don't be sorry for flooding the board sallian..... Very impressive to be honest.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Quick review:

Boring, no plan B, no width, Hewitt is crap, Lalkovic is an impact sub, need a striker.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Slow, narrow, pretty crap, very boring.

This "sexy football" moniker is stupid, its not sexy at all, its more like granny pants with the occasional quick fumble.

We played three strikers, clearly was not working Smith didnt change it soon enough.

You wont see a better goal that Kyel Reid's this season, what a bullet. The second goal was abysmal defending, and they couldnt handle Hanson all afternoon even though they doubled up on him. Bradford never broke into a sweat.

Deserved nothing out of that game.

Lalkovic is useless, offers nothing. Cheerio in January. He wont make it as a footballer. Hewitt had a poor game but he had poor service.

We need a striker, and a winger, Hemmings looked quite useful when he came on despite missing two glorious opportunities. God knows where that second shot ended up.

Bradford fans were good, fair play to them, loads of them too.

Crap.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:28 pm

On the positive side...In another world, if the aim of the game was to actually just aim for goal and not score...we thrashed them 15-6 (they only get six as they acually scored two of theirs) :D And in that world, Ashley Hemmings is a deadly prolific marksman :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Quick review:

Boring, no plan B, no width, Hewitt is crap, Lalkovic is an impact sub, need a striker.

Stupid post of the day. I feel sorry for Hewitt as he's always being fed scraps and apart from the wolves game I cannot remember him having a half decent chance on goal and this is not his fault its due to the total lack of service he is being given.

Lalkovic must have a clause in his contract that stipulates that he has to play/start x-amount of games as there can be no other reason why he plays, utter premiershine dross

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Maybe the reason why Dean Smith does not tell the team the aim of the game is to score many goals is all about positive thinking...

i.e. Because if they don't manage to do that, they might get depressed and score even less goals :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:35 pm

sallian wrote:On the positive side...In another world, if the aim of the game was to actually just aim for goal and not score...we thrashed them 15-6 (they only get six as they acually scored two of theirs) :D And in that world, Ashley Hemmings is a deadly prolific marksman :lol:

:lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:39 pm

We did have a plan b.

But it should have been plan a. The game was lost by then.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 pm

We need a fudge goalscorer. End of. I'm pissed and its obvious as fudge.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm

I've only seen two games this season - Preston and Bradford. Anyone want to pay me to stay away?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:00 pm

IHTC. wrote:

Stupid post of the day. I feel sorry for Hewitt as he's always being fed scraps and apart from the wolves game I cannot remember him having a half decent chance on goal and this is not his fault its due to the total lack of service he is being given.

Lalkovic must have a clause in his contract that stipulates that he has to play/start x-amount of games as there can be no other reason why he plays, utter premiershine dross

Yeah there might have been a lack of service, but today Hewitt showed a lack of anticipation, strength and instinct. Today he was crap, he has been good before and deserved a run in the side but it's blindingly obvious that he is not good enough at the moment.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm always gutted when we lose, but just to take some perspective here, we've played five of the top six in our last six games - and still find ourselves in the top ten. Bradford were miles better than us, but they have the finance to build a strong side having a cup run and a playoff trip to Wembley last season. Losing to them is no disgrace.

That said, our system and team selection meant we were always going to be on the back foot. Lalkovic is terrible, and for all his hard work, Hewitt carries the goal threat of a slug. Maybe he'll do a Will Grigg and come good eventually (I really hope so) but until then, Westcarr has to play up front. He's not an out and out striker by any means, but he's the best we've got for that position at the moment.

As far as this afternoon goes, we competed reasonably well in the middle of midfield, but the game was decided at both ends - I.e. Our impotence around their box, versus them having two real handfuls for us to deal with, in Reid and Hanson. Reid's first half performance was as good as I've seen from a winner against us for a few years, and Hanson's just a monster - better defenders than ours have struggled against him.

The marked difference when Smith made three subs was that we actually kept the ball in their half for more than one pass. For me, Sawyers needs to be given a run in the side, playing just behind Westcarr. I can understand why he's not the ideal choice away from home, but he makes more of a positive contribution than Lalkovic and moves defenders around all over the place. If we still want to play three across the middle and have Sawyers playing in more of a wider role in parts, so be it. The same goes for Baxendale - he gets hold of the ball in good positions, and will create chances.

The less said about Smith's post-match comments, the better. Claiming our strikers are doing their job because we're creating chances but not scoring them wasn't one of ginger Mourinho's finest moments.

SWS1

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh dear. Oh dear.
After all the promise, mid-table (at best) beckons with both hands.
Whoever said "S-od the sexy football, stick the ball in the net" might just have a point. Whoever said give 'em shooting practice might just have a point.
Whatever.
Drown sorrows tonight :( (any excuse :mrgreen: )

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 pm

If Smith reckon we create loads if chances we're in deep trouble.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Don't really think the performance was too bad today, just think the game was decided on the timing of the goals - one right on half time and one 2 minutes into the second half. The triple substution enabled us to create more chances but by this stage we were chasing the game. Agree regarding Hewitt - the service he has had has been non-existent recently so can't really blame him. Lalkovic is a waste of time, offers nothing and the sooner he is sent back to Jose the better to be perfectly honest. Surprised to see no Julian Gray in the 18 - at the very least I'd have expected him to be on the bench instead of McQuilkin (who seems to be the most pointless signing in recent history).

Disappointing result without a doubt but Bradford are a strong, physical side who should do well at this level. Their first goal was an absolute screamer and you will struggle to see a better goal this season. The second was poor defensively, but well finished by Hanson who was a handful all afternoon and should cause problems for most teams. The reaction amongst all WFC is very negative but two key things need to be taken into consideration:

1. We have had a very difficult start to the season playing 5 out of the current top 6 already.
2. Maybe some people's expectations are too high after last season - people must remember that we lost 3 very key players in the summer, that coupled with league 1 being a lot stronger than last season.

Still a long way to go, 15 points from the first 10 games isn't a bad return at all considering the run of fixtures which I have mentioned. Fully expect some more favourable results in the upcoming weeks against more 'friendly' opposition.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:39 pm

Agree with the posts about sexy football, I tweeted something similar around 5pm.

We can pass the ball about well, but we've scored 5 goals in 5 games at home this season - sexy football or Dawn French football, that aint good enough.

Our 4-5-1 formation, or 4-3-2-1 whatever you wish to call it works well away from home where possession with little attacking threat will frustrate the opposition, but at home you need to take the game to the opposition.

The timing of the goals didnt help, just before and after half time, but all said and done, they were the better side and deserved to win, we offer very little going forward at home and the stats back that up - we may play "sexy" football, but what's sexy football if you dont score? It's just keep ball with no end product.

Real shame cos as usual I think we're a couple of players short of really being able to push for the top 6 - we have the backbone of a decent side, but we are missing that bit of class upfront. But thats what happens when you sell £1.5m's worth of talent and 40 goals last season and replace them with Troy Hewitt and Milan Llakovic...

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Tippy tappy pissy passy woopsy do 5 a-side fudge about football.

No wingers, no crossing, no strikers, arrogant manager, thinks he's the old Barcelona manager mossive angry bowl head.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season