Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Bradford City (H) League One Sat 5th Oct 3pm

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:02 pm

It certainly had the potential to be an enjoyable game, but it wasnt. I was bored stiff. :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Seen the highlights, brillant goal from Reid and a nice finish from Hanson for the second. Not sure what Downing is doing with the second and his miss is very poor in the second half. Thought we actually created some good chances in the second half. Hewitt should have scored from the Westcarr cross.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Sadders wrote:Seen the highlights, brillant goal from Reid and a nice finish from Hanson for the second. Not sure what Downing is doing with the second and his miss is very poor in the second half. Thought we actually created some good chances in the second half. Hewitt should have scored from the Westcarr cross.

That Westcarr creating golden chances. It's just not good enough.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:Seen the highlights, brillant goal from Reid and a nice finish from Hanson for the second. Not sure what Downing is doing with the second and his miss is very poor in the second half. Thought we actually created some good chances in the second half. Hewitt should have scored from the Westcarr cross.

He dow run abaht enough for me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:02 am

3 terrible misses there. They look worse on the telly.

Colinmac

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm not being a doom monger, but the evidence from the stats is bulding up--and things could be changed oh so easily as could be seen from the last half hour on Saturday. The formation and style of play is working away from home( 10 pts)--but it is patently obviously not doing so at home (5 pts). My frustration is that Dean doesn't seem able to see what is so obvious to everyone else. As soon as we had more advanced support for a lone front man, then Bradford were clearly rattled after a game where their back four must have thought all their birthdays had come at once. So for me the formation used at home is critical; after which personnel is almost a second order issue. I think we can perm a few combinations, but Sawyers looks to have a bit of class and the space and time that comes with it, Baxendale provides some urgency, and Lalkovic provides very little of anything from what I have seen. I only hope Dean has not now painted himself into a corner and won't change so as not to admit he got it a bit wrong. He doesn't need to feel vulnerable, he's done a great job.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yeah, his ability to cross a moving ball has never been in question. That and his reading of the game are fine for a league 1 player, the rest is a bit - cack. Alex Nicholls occasionally whipped a good cross in and he scored 9 or 10 goals in 1 season didn't he? What was the overall opinion on him.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Sadders wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Yeah, his ability to cross a moving ball has never been in question. That and his reading of the game are fine for a league 1 player, the rest is a bit - cack. Alex Nicholls occasionally whipped a good cross in and he scored 9 or 10 goals in 1 season didn't he? What was the overall opinion on him.

What season was it again that Alex Nicholls scored 5 goals in the first 10 games of a League 1 season?

Did he actually get 9 or 10 goals in a season anyway?

Wikipedia has his highest scoring Walsall season at 8 goals in 52 games - poor comparison.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am

Poor comparison on statistics perhaps, but they both played wide or upfront and both split opinion - Westcarr probably more so than Nicholls. On one hand Westcarr has developed a better brain for the game, on the other hand Nicholls worked his heart out and had plenty of pace. Who causes more problems for league 1 defenders? Tough one. My point is though, just because Westcarr crosses a peachy ball now and again - doesn't mean we couldn't bring in just an 'average league one striker' that would see him relegated to the bench on the basis that he's mostly a poor player.

If we had Grigg back, where would Westcarr feature? Wide left or right? Hemmings, Baxendale, Lalkovic, Gray would all have something to say. In the hole - over Sawyers? over Bax? I don't think so. He'd be back up to Grigg and potentially Hewitt (had we bothered signing him).

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:51 am

Sadders wrote:If we had Grigg back, where would Westcarr feature? Wide left or right? Hemmings, Baxendale, Lalkovic, Gray would all have something to say. In the hole - over Sawyers? over Bax? I don't think so. He'd be back up to Grigg and potentially Hewitt (had we bothered signing him).

If we still had Grigg, we'd be playing Westcarr in the hole just behind him - just as we did last season when we were the divison's best team post-Christmas.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:If we had Grigg back, where would Westcarr feature? Wide left or right? Hemmings, Baxendale, Lalkovic, Gray would all have something to say. In the hole - over Sawyers? over Bax? I don't think so. He'd be back up to Grigg and potentially Hewitt (had we bothered signing him).

If we still had Grigg, we'd be playing Westcarr in the hole just behind him - just as we did last season when we were the divison's best team post-Christmas.

Amen number ten!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Ahem.... It's not enough :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 pm

I suspect that J Chambers is Deano's mate but I think it's time he gave Purkiss a run out. It'll take him two or three weeks to get up to speed but Chambers ain't doing it for me.

He nearly always looks to hit the ball in to the middle, maybe towards his brother, when he should be looking at getting it down the wing like Andy Taylor (although I thought he wasn't too clever Saturday).

As a Right-back he doesn't cut it for me.

Somewhere on this thread someone compered Lalkavic to Alex Nicolls: I can see why but I always felt that Nicolls, whist he had pace, didn't have much of a footballing mind. I know Lalkovic has had some stick on here, and I still think he spends too much time watching the game instead of concentrating on his part in it, but I thought he got into some good positions Saturday but didn't get the service.

Again, maybe J. Chambers could have helped by looking for him instead of his brother.

Overall, if Deano wants sexy football then his team will have to pass it around with a bit more pace and purpose, if it's to bear fruit.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Yep, as much as I like J Chambers as a right back, I feel that Purkiss adds more both offensively and defensively - just lacks the pace of Chambers.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Our right back is not a problem.

Maybe play Purkiss if we are to dominate a game, but we wont, currently. who exactly is he going to cross too?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:45 pm

latviancheese wrote:Our right back is not a problem.

Maybe play Purkiss if we are to dominate a game, but we wont, currently. who exactly is he going to cross too?

Play him and you will see.

He wouldn't necessarily be providing the cross but delivering the ball to the person who does.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:Our right back is not a problem.

He did fine last season crossing wise and we didn't have anyone tall or imposing just like we don't have now, in fact Hewitt is probably better in the air than Griggy boy anyway.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:10 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Would he? I'd prefer Sawyers there to be honest, I think he's the best number 10 at the club by miles. Unlike Westcarr who's better with the ball infront of him, Sawyers brings the midfield into play a lot more. The 3 he had round him made Westcarr look better in the number 10 role than he did himself last season, that's not to say he performed poorly but I'd have preferred Sawyers in there then and I would now. But hindsight is a great thing!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Sadders wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Would he? I'd prefer Sawyers there to be honest, I think he's the best number 10 at the club by miles. Unlike Westcarr who's better with the ball infront of him, Sawyers brings the midfield into play a lot more. The 3 he had round him made Westcarr look better in the number 10 role than he did himself last season, that's not to say he performed poorly but I'd have preferred Sawyers in there then and I would now. But hindsight is a great thing!

Your preference and what Smith would have actually done are two completely separate things. History tells us the Grigg/Westcarr link-up was more than good enough at this level.

The point you're completely missing here is that we wouldn't have necessarily signed Sawyers had we kept hold of Grigg. With Grigg in the side, we'd have Westcarr and Baxendale competing the position just behind him. Despite the number of options we seem to have accumulated in that position now, two senior players competing for one position is enough for a League One side.

Anyway, we digress. Your Westcarr hate campaign can resume now. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season