Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League One Sat 28 Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League One Sat 28 Sept, 3pm

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:31 am

Don't know about you guys but i'm loving being a saddler at the moment! Full blooded performances, every player working hard for one another and great skill and ability to maintain possession of the ball.

In fact we had 59% of possession yesterday... Not bad with 10 men to top of the league away from home eh???

As much as I was annoyed with O'Donnell for their goal, I have to say he made u for it with the rest of his performance, so fair play to him for that. Think Mantom and Chambers are getting better and better all the time with their partnership in the heart of our midfield. Hewitt and Westcarr worked tirelessly all afternoon and was a brilliantly worked goal.

Have to say our away support started a bit quiet but certainly picked up and was vocal afterwards. Think I nearly passed out when our equaliser went in!

Oh and for the fans booing and ironically cheering when Lalcovic went off, you're not helping our cause and it just makes us look like dingles. I actually thought Lalcovic was a decent outlet for us yesterday. Yes he tried too much at times but this is a player who needs a bit more time to adapt in my opinion. I strongly believe he will come good in the end, a bit like Zaaboub did for us.

CAN'T EMPHASISE THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT BOO OUR OWN PLAYERS! IT DOES NOT HELP!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:48 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:Don't know about you guys but i'm loving being a saddler at the moment! Full blooded performances, every player working hard for one another and great skill and ability to maintain possession of the ball.

In fact we had 59% of possession yesterday... Not bad with 10 men to top of the league away from home eh???

As much as I was annoyed with O'Donnell for their goal, I have to say he made u for it with the rest of his performance, so fair play to him for that. Think Mantom and Chambers are getting better and better all the time with their partnership in the heart of our midfield. Hewitt and Westcarr worked tirelessly all afternoon and was a brilliantly worked goal.

Have to say our away support started a bit quiet but certainly picked up and was vocal afterwards. Think I nearly passed out when our equaliser went in!

Oh and for the fans booing and ironically cheering when Lalcovic went off, you're not helping our cause and it just makes us look like dingles. I actually thought Lalcovic was a decent outlet for us yesterday. Yes he tried too much at times but this is a player who needs a bit more time to adapt in my opinion. I strongly believe he will come good in the end, a bit like Zaaboub did for us.

Agree about booing our own players, ridiculous. However, the boos were from a very small minority. Nearly all the away fans were clapping, even though there was little to clap.

Contrary to your belief, I don't think he will come good, which is why we've signed Gray. He's ok from the bench, but is nowhere near effective enough to start.

Loses possession too often, and his fancy lollipops are pointless if the defender just stands laughing then comes away with the ball.

His one attribute is crossing, so why he fails to put them over instead of fannying about is baffling.

As soon as he went off, we looked better and scored.

As an aside, if it wasn't for his faffing and conceding possession, O'Donnell wouldn't have flapped at the cross for the goal, as the ball would have been down the other end of the pitch.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:Don't know about you guys but i'm loving being a saddler at the moment! Full blooded performances, every player working hard for one another and great skill and ability to maintain possession of the ball.

Agree about booing our own players, ridiculous. However, the boos were from a very small minority. Nearly all the away fans were clapping, even though there was little to clap.

Contrary to your belief, I don't think he will come good, which is why we've signed Gray. He's ok from the bench, but is nowhere near effective enough to start.

Loses possession too often, and his fancy lollipops are pointless if the defender just stands laughing then comes away with the ball.

His one attribute is crossing, so why he fails to put them over instead of fannying about is baffling.

As soon as he went off, we looked better and scored.

As an aside, if it wasn't for his faffing and conceding possession, O'Donnell wouldn't have flapped at the cross for the goal, as the ball would have been down the other end of the pitch.

Yeah you're right to be honest, just a shame that the minority has to let us down at times. Maybe i'm just in hope that hell come good rather than a strong belief. He has shown the odd signs, Wolves away he looked bright. Maybe he should be used as an impact sub for now until he shows a bit more consistency!

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 am

Really enjoyed my first visit there. Couldn't see us getting anything at half time but that performance in the 2nd half was superb. Glad our equaliser was down at our end... fantastic celebration. I know O'Donnell was at fault for their goal but a couple of saves towards the end were tremendous. Bringing on Baxendale was crucial . Admittedly I haven't seem much of Lalkovic but I thought he did far too many stepovers & over elaborated. Could understand why Orient fans were less than happy with him. A great day out .... apart from the awful wooden seats!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Yesterday's performance and result was the perfect testament to the style of football Smith's developed at the club. We generally look after the ball so well that, dare I say it, we can almost afford to have a player sent off now and again. It was almost like having a man less made us concentrate more, and we were by far the better side in the second half.

Downing and James Chambers were rock solid against the league's best front two, which is encouraging if Butler's suspension is upheld. For what it's worth, I don't think he'll have it rescinded - one of those where he either had to bottle out of the challenge completely, or risk a straight red. As a referee himself, I'm sure part if him knew that at the time too.

If I've got one groan about yesterday (other than paying £25 to sit on a wooden seat, with an obstructed view) it's that I don't think Hewitt's got the quality to play up front on his own. He deserves all the credit he gets for the way he nodded the ball down for the goal, but he kept giving the ball away really cheaply. The frustration for me is, I reckon we could seriously challenge amongst the top six if we could improve in that department. Maybe having Julian Gray providing some extra ammo on the left will be the answer.

A really good time to be a Walsall fan at the moment though. Long may that continue.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm

It all hinges on keeping Smithy in post. Only a matter of time until the Sheffield (No, not him) implosion takes place. Perm any one from two.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:If I've got one groan about yesterday (other than paying £25 to sit on a wooden seat, with an obstructed view) it's that I don't think Hewitt's got the quality to play up front on his own. He deserves all the credit he gets for the way he nodded the ball down for the goal, but he kept giving the ball away really cheaply. The frustration for me is, I reckon we could seriously challenge amongst the top six if we could improve in that department. Maybe having Julian Gray providing some extra ammo on the left will be the answer.

Disagree completely about Hewitt, he is the best centre forward we have at the moment, and what he does seems to be missed by most. He gives defenders a real problem, he can't half leap and has immense strength for someone that size - I honestly think he is the target man we have been looking for, most of what he does is missed by fans. Evidence of this was after the final whistle where all the players were clapping over by us, and Hewitt was trapped by Deano and O'Kelly patting him on the back and hugging him because of his performance.

I agree with you about the whole loosing possession thing, but I feel it is a little harsh considering we had a man sent off, and I haven't seen that too much in his previous games. He also seems to be getting a growing partnership with Westcarr, very much like Westy relationship with Grigg where they both new what they other wanted in terms of movement and when the ball needs to be played.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Yesterday's performance and result was the perfect testament to the style of football Smith's developed at the club. We generally look after the ball so well that, dare I say it, we can almost afford to have a player sent off now and again. It was almost like having a man less made us concentrate more, and we were by far the better side in the second half.

Downing and James Chambers were rock solid against the league's best front two, which is encouraging if Butler's suspension is upheld. For what it's worth, I don't think he'll have it rescinded - one of those where he either had to bottle out of the challenge completely, or risk a straight red. As a referee himself, I'm sure part if him knew that at the time too.

If I've got one groan about yesterday (other than paying £25 to sit on a wooden seat, with an obstructed view) it's that I don't think Hewitt's got the quality to play up front on his own. He deserves all the credit he gets for the way he nodded the ball down for the goal, but he kept giving the ball away really cheaply. The frustration for me is, I reckon we could seriously challenge amongst the top six if we could improve in that department. Maybe having Julian Gray providing some extra ammo on the left will be the answer.

A really good time to be a Walsall fan at the moment though. Long may that continue.

Agree with most of your post, but like Jonny I also disagree about Hewitt. He was tireless at Orient. I know you referred to quality, but he was feeding off scraps, and has been in every game he's started. That's what happens when you have the likes of Lalkovic not creating anything. Gray will make a big difference to him, I'm sure. Cutting inside and putting balls across the 6 yard box.

He's nowhere near as effective as Will Grigg was in the role, but he's by far the best so far, and the results prove it. And lets not forget it took Grigg until November/December to get used to it, so as long as we keep picking up points in the meantime (unlike last season) then its all good.

I'll never say no to getting in another proper number 9, if we're going to challenge seriously, though.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 am

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't dare complain about his work rate, and I can't disagree that he's the best we have in that position, but I think it's the quality in that position which will ultimately determine whether we make it into the top six or not. At least one of the playoff places in this league are definitely up for grabs.

MMF, you make a good point about Grigg taking a while to get going last season. Hopefully Hewitt will prove to be the same.

Terradakphil

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Absolutly loved the performance on Saturday. Chambers was brilliant. After butler was sent off I did think 3-0 all over but what an excellently spritied performance. So impressed ive decided to go to Colchester as well.
By the way is anyone else a little confused with their ticket prices? :?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 am

Terradakphil wrote:By the way is anyone else a little confused with their ticket prices? :?

I was confused about why I had to pay £25 to sit on a splintered wooden seat, with a massive pillar obscuring my view.

I also heard something about concessionary tickets increasing £11 on the day, rather than the £2 we were told beforehand. Pretty poor from Orient really.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season