Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers (A) Tue 17 Sep, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers (A) Tue 17 Sep, 7.45pm

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Still buzzing. Please don't let this feeling ever end :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 pm

I thought we went with a very clear plan and it worked. Be organised with a midfield 3, bring Westcarr and Hemmings back to cover their full backs when they had the ball and then spring on the counter when we broke up possession, which we did about 10 times during the second half. For all the ball and pressure Wolves had from 45-65 they did pretty much precisely nothing with it and if anything we looked more likely to score on the counter, Lalkovic hit the post, Bax had a drilled effort deflected away, Lalkovic should have squared it for Mantom but decided to be greedy and then Ikeme should really have been sent off for a hand ball outside the area.

Both the Andy's and James Chambers were absolutely superb throughout, everyone worked their socks off - even Hemmings and Westcarr, I thought Deano got his subs right as Hemmings looked like he was getting tired and kept losing their left back Golbourne who the entire game seemed to run through during most of the second half. Andy Taylor was my MOTM, just so cool, calm and collected with an added bit of attacking quality going forward. Andy Butler if he wasn't already there but his name into the Saddlers HOF last night, not only for his goal but for his celebration, defensive work and then winding up of the home fans at FT - my favourite player anywhere, ever.

A brillant night, a quality rear-guard performance with a well thought out plan. Thought the midfield trio never stopped running, particularly Mantom who was superb. Mentions to O'Donnell who's save off Doyle at the end of the first half was superb - I thought it was in the second it left his head.

Being serious here, why don't we offer Deano another year extension on his current contract? If it goes wrong, the money we made from Paterson and Co in his time here can pay him off, if we keep him we will keep improving and if we lose him we get compensation. The job he has done is fantastic.

I've seen a lot of 'Walsall win their cup final' stuff around Social Media today. Did we not beat Leeds at Elland Road? Southampton at home? Sheffield United? Preston? All ex Championship, all within 20k + grounds and attendances, with huge budgets? In fairness I did see lots of complements too, some of the home end stayed behind to clap us off and the fans on WM/Wolves Forum/Molinuex Mix were fairly nice overall, even if most focused on their own downfalls. Credit where credit's due.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 pm

I have not stopped smiling since the final whistle. I keep thinking about the many Walsall born family members I have who support Wolves, and have been trying to picture their faces at full time last night. A defeat to us, a small club, will really, really hurt them, because they have had a lifetime's worth of selling their soul for a bit of success and 50's floodlight nostalgia. I really hope it was worth it.

I thought it was an excellent team effort last night, we rode our luck a couple of times, but were worthy winners. Wolves will, despite obvious technical limitations, steamroller some sides with their strength and I expect them to still be top 6. They are not particularly good from a footballing point of view, but then, when have they ever been? That is not the Wolves way.

Highlights

O'Donnell's 2 first half saves
Adam Chambers head bandage - summed up our spirit
Butler's goal and celebration
Our supporters - one of the many things I enjoy about being a Saddler is our sense of irony [in contrast to Wolves 'fans', who don't appear to have any], and this was exemplified by the sarcastic cheer from us when the attendance was announced :lol:
The work ethic of the entire team
The celebration of the entire team - they know how much it meant to us, and I think it meant just as much to them

A wonderful, wonderful night. We have beaten Mordor before at Molineux [in '85 and '99], but this seemed all the sweeter, probably because the disparity in resources is wider than ever. I think we can play better, which is a remarkable thing to say about a side that has just won away to the pre-season favourites for promotion, but I think it is true. Well done to Dean Smith and Richard O'Kelly and the rest of the back room team, You have made us all feel really proud.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Special mention goes to the referee, the blatant hand ball in the box, the flattening of Troy Hewitt in the centre circle and the goalkeeper playing rugby all appeared to be fine by him. I seem to remember Mick McCarthy moaning about Wolves not getting referees decisions when they were in the Premier League, well they certainly made up for lost time last night!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:27 pm

In fairness I didn't think he would give 2 or 3 of the free kicks he did as we attacked in the second half, It looked like a couple of times we fell to the floor - not that I care, but I thought the ref did okay bar the handball. The ref was more of a homer at Crewe on Saturday where literally every 50-50 decision went Crewe's way for most of the game.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:57 pm

First chance I've had to post and I'm still smiling. It's partly due to the miserable faces of Wolves fans at work, partly due to reading comments from fellow fans, ex players, even some dingles. But in the main stay, I'm beaming with pride. This group of players is the reason we sit through those dire days of dog face, Mullen et al. In recent seasons, we've been through some bad patches and had some really dire squads. When it all comes good, it makes the success even sweeter. Last nights performance epitomised Waldall F.C. Grit and determination in abundance, a never say due attitude, no lack of skill, but the overriding factor, togetherness. Not just the eleven on the pitch, those on the bench, the management team and the supporters. You really do get the feeling that we are in this together. It's the way they come over to us fans at the end of the game not just places like Stoke and the Custard Bowl where they'd expect us to be in good voice. It's at places like Vale and Oldham.

On to the game itself. I thought we started really well, kept it tight at the back and kept the ball well. There was no early spell of pressure from Wolves, given the fact they've had a tendency to score early at home. Having seen through the first twenty mins, and looking the better side, we grew in confidence. Our best moment came from a Westcarr free kick, which was adjudged to have clipped the bar, although from where I was, miles away in the block next to the north bank, looked like Ikeme had pulled off a worldie. They only looked threatening from set pieces, which they were getting more regularly as the half wore on. The last ten mins of the half O'Donnel had his busiest spell, tipping a Sako free kick over the bar, and brilliantly saving a free header from six yards out.

During the first half, they seemed to target Andy Taylor as a bit of a weakness, constantly playing a long diagonal ball right on top of him. Every time he got to the ball first and looked to attack.

They seemed to change tactic in the second half and tested us down our opposite flank. As the half wore on, Hemmings was looking more and more tired and James Chambers was getting more and more exposed. Cue Baxendale being introduced. This seemed to swing the game in our favour again.

The goal was a bit of a blur. I think Hewitt won the free kick. We put in our first cross of any quality in, it ended up with Baxo at the far post who put it back across for Butler to head home. It was the least we, and Butler deserved. He was a rock at the back as ever.

Hewitt did really well to win the free kick. He's exactly the type of player we need up top. He works across the line of defence, looks strong and has a decent turn of pace. With more match time he will be a real asset. He didn't really get a chance at goal so it's unfair to judge on his goal threat. But even if he scores, 5-6 goals, it's his hold up play and harrying of the defence that will enable us to bring in our creative players.

Not long after we made two tactical changes, Sawyers for Westcarr, who put a good shift in and should go someway to dispelling the lazy tag, and Milan for Hewitt, who may have picked up a knock.

I fully expected a Wolves bombardment but it never really came. If any team were going to score again, it always looked like being us. Milan being on the pitch allowed us to hit the channels more and be a bit more direct. This resulted in two good moments for us. One which resulted in Baxo having a goal bound effort blocked, and the other where he really should have squared across goal for Mantom to tap in after beating his man, but instead tried to beat him again.

We should really look at the tactic of getting Hewitt to wear down the defence for seventy/seventy five mins and use Milans pace to exploit tired defences, especially those that are chasing the game, leaving space in behind.

Sawyers had a chance when through in goal but the centre half made an excellent last ditch tackle just as the trigger was being pulled. Llalkovic was involved again in a moment of madness when Ikeme looked to throw the ball out, hesitated, dropped it, and with Milan chasing him down, decided to put his hand on the ball outside the box. Now me, and everyone else in ground fully expected a red card, the ref had other ideas and flashed a yellow. The resulting free kick saw Ikeme left standing, but the ball smacking the post.

There was time for one final ba into our box. The cheer that went up when O'Donnell came to the edge of the box to claim it and do the classic stop, drop and roll almost matched that of the goal.

I've yet to mention our midfield trio as I feel they deserve a section to themselves. There's no better player at breaking play up in our division than Chambers. It's not just that. When he gets it, he plays a nice, simple pass just to keep things ticking over. Rarely does he play more than a twenty yard pass,and rarely does he need to.

Featherstone had been a revelation since his recall. He was our best player in the first half of last season and he's beginning to hit that form again. He's just brilliant at getting the ball from the back four and using it cleverly. Most of our attacks start with him. He doesn't need pace if skill to beat a player. It's always a movement half a yard either side, finding a man, and then moving into space to receive it again. He really is top draw.

I like Mantom in thisore advanced role. He's our biggest goal threat from midfield, he can tackle, carry the ball and pick out a forty yard pass. He's another one who's starting to hit the form of last season. The three of them together tick all if the boxes you need for a competitive midfield.

Lots of the plaudits will go to Butler, and rightly so, but it's what we see week in week out. Heart, desire, passion and a will to win. Him and Downing compliment each other so well.

It's taken me more than an hour to write this as things keep creeping back to me. Lets enjoy this moment as we've waited a while for it. Well done everyone, Fans, Players, Staff. We are everything our neighbours aspire to be UTS

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:10 pm

saddler_nic wrote:... Ikeme looked to throw the ball out, hesitated, dropped it, and with Milan chasing him down, decided to put his hand on the ball outside the box. Now me, and everyone else in ground fully expected a red card. The ref had other ideas and flashed a yellow.

The goalkeeper handling the ball outside the penalty area is NOT an automatic sending-off offence (contrary to popular misconception). It only merits a red card if the referee considers that the offence also denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Last night's referee clearly thought that it didn't. It's all down to opinion - one person's opinion.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:... Ikeme looked to throw the ball out, hesitated, dropped it, and with Milan chasing him down, decided to put his hand on the ball outside the box. Now me, and everyone else in ground fully expected a red card. The ref had other ideas and flashed a yellow.

The goalkeeper handling the ball outside the penalty area is NOT an automatic sending-off offence (contrary to popular misconception). It only merits a red card if the referee considers that the offence also denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Last night's referee clearly thought that it didn't. It's all down to opinion - one person's opinion.

Wonders - now why would a goalkeeper chose to deliberately handle the ball outside the area if he didn't consider it to be a goal-scoring opportunity? Hmmmm.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Epic. That's it

Louise
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Have lost my voice, stayed up far too late celebrating and have needed copious amounts of Red Bull to get through the day but I cant stop :D and have given every Dingle I know absolute hell and will contimue to do til March when we play them again.
Proud of the team beyond words - Andy Taylor MOTM .I said after Crewe, Butler was a colossus and last night cemented his position.
I wouldnt swop the feeling I have today for all the bought greed league titles in the world - so proud to be a Saddler and my fellow fans you were magnificent.

mossa

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I think the main worry I had before kick of last night was 1- lets not get dominated and embarrassed 2- I hope the players realise how much the game means to us. I'm delighted to say both these questions were answered emphatically. We seemed to setup to not concede and slowly frustrate the home fans, this tactic worked a treat. Every player had a role to play last night and all played their part.

Credit must go to Smith last night as his tactics and particularly his subs couldn't have been better. Baxendale, Sawyers and Milan all looked lively and dangerous when they came on just as their replacements had started to look jaded. It's fortunate that we have such subs we can bring on, in previous years our bench would not have been this strong. I've been hearing from a lot of Wolves fans how bad they have been playing and how lucky they had been to keep winning, however whether that was true or not we were the only team good enough to beat them. Roll on Rotherham.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 pm

aaaae wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Wonders - now why would a goalkeeper chose to deliberately handle the ball outside the area if he didn't consider it to be a goal-scoring opportunity? Hmmmm.

To quote our friends from down the road, surely, in that situation "E'S GORRA GEW!!"

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Before the game would have been happy with a good performance whatever the result - so this classic away victory - defending as a team, closing them down, denying them space, hitting them on the break - was just fantastic. And the only the post and bar denied us two more late goals. Unfortunately I couldn't dance my usual jig of delight when we scored as I was sitting with friends and family who are Wolves fans in the Billy Wright stand opposite. I was in the Wolves end for both the previous victories in the 80s and 90s so didn't want to jinx things by doing anything different. At the end the people around me seemed shellshocked to have been so comprehensively turned over - and many admitted that we were by far the better side. And you all sounded awesome from across the other side of the pitch completely drowning out the south bank.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm

How did we look when the goal went in? I loved being in there, but I would have loved seeing what we looked like as well!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Sadders wrote:How did we look when the goal went in? I loved being in there, but I would have loved seeing what we looked like as well!

The match highlights (which should show something approaching what you want) aren't available on Sky's website yet....I'm checking back frequently :wink:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 pm

I love beating those 6 fingered bastards!

Last night was simply ideal.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Louise wrote:Have lost my voice, stayed up far too late celebrating and have needed copious amounts of Red Bull to get through the day but I cant stop :D and have given every Dingle I know absolute hell and will contimue to do til March when we play them again.
Proud of the team beyond words - Andy Taylor MOTM .I said after Crewe, Butler was a colossus and last night cemented his position.
I wouldnt swop the feeling I have today for all the bought greed league titles in the world - so proud to be a Saddler and my fellow fans you were magnificent.

I was interviewing all today and had to apologise for sounding like Barry White.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm

What a night! Awesome.

Four generations of Saddlers were made proud last night.

Football without the likes of Walsall FC just isn't football for me!

bushbury red
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Having the misfortune of living in dinglevile but my roots well and truely planted in walsall was even born in saddler road brownhills got say last night was epic my lads first wolves game Not heard a word from the wife's family must all have gone into hiding best place for some of them proud of my son and daughter both red n white

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Time for my two pennies worth. Last night was a fantastic team performance. Deano and co had obviously done their homework on Wolves. We went with a game plan, stuck to it and executed it perfectly. Every player put a shift in and stuck to their jobs. I can't say one player had a bad game. At worst, a couple had an average game but still played their part.

I'm liking this formation with Featherstone, Mantom & Chambers in the middle. It seems to work really well. Speaking to a few Wolves mates a couple of days before the game and they highlighted their midfield as their main concern. They were bang on, we overran them in the middle of the park which meant they created very little of note in the whole game. I think a lot of team will struggle against this trio this season. Featherstone picks the ball up from defence and rarely wastes a pass. Chambers, superb at breaking up the play and Mantom has the energy and drive to be a box to box midfielder.

The defence is rock solid. This is the best defence we've had since the Money era when we had Dann and Fox at the back. O'Donnell seems to be growing in confidence. I had my doubts about him at the start of the season but he's proving me wrong. The way he claimed that ball in the dying minutes is what we've been crying out for him to do all season! Best game i've seen him play. J.Chambers is a solid full back. Downing, superb for a young lad. His partnership with Butler is growing with every game. The skipper himself, leads by example. He's a rock at the back and plays with his heart on his sleeve. He's starting to become my favourite player of all time! Then there's Andy Taylor. Best player on the pitch last night and I think his contribution goes unnoticed a lot of the time. He really is superb, cracking free kick for the goal too.

Up top, Hewitt has improved us ten fold. He's what we were crying out for earlier on in the season. He's the focal point up top. Last night he never gave the Wolves defence a moment on the ball. Constantly harried them and although he never really looked like scoring, his movement and work rate was superb. Westcarr and Hemmings were both quiet last night but neither had a bad game by any means.

Then came the substitutions. Baxendale helped solidify the midfield. And what a touch back for Butler's goal, real class. Lalkovic's pace stretch Wolves. He was unlucky not to score when he hit the post. I think Sawyers made a big difference too. He held the ball up well which prevented Wolves piling on any real pressure.

What a night though, everything went perfectly from start to finish. Big praise to Deano and the lads.
And I have to mention Butler one more time, what a bloke! :mrgreen:

SWS1

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

BUTLER! :D
If he wasn't a legend before last night (he was), he is now (he is now - with knobs on) :D

pp_wfc

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm

The highlights are now on sky sports.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -1-walsall

Sydney Saddler

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 am

saddler_nic wrote:
aaaae wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

To quote our friends from down the road, surely, in that situation "E'S GORRA GEW!!"

I am a qualified referee and assessor who officiates on Premier League games in the Manly Warringah competition, which is the best amateur tournament in New South Wales and, probably, Australia. I have just seen the Wolves goalkeeper's handball on Saddlers Player and, in my opinion, it was a cautionable offence and nothing more. At the point of the offence, the closest Walsall player was facing away from goal and coming under pressure from a rapidly advancing Wolves player. There were three Wolves players, plus the goalkeeper between the nearest Walsall player and the goal. What I found strange was that the referee blew his whistle just as another Walsall player, who had received a hurried pass, was shooting at goal from 40 yards out. In an ideal world, he would have waited until he knew whether or not the shot was bound for goal before blowing his whistle. Had the shot gone into the net, the referee could have played a brilliant advantage. As it was, it went miles over the bar, demonstrating that it was not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:10 am

Sydney Saddler wrote:I am a qualified referee and assessor who officiates on Premier League games in the Manly Warringah competition, which is the best amateur tournament in New South Wales and, probably, Australia. I have just seen the Wolves goalkeeper's handball on Saddlers Player and, in my opinion, it was a cautionable offence and nothing more. At the point of the offence, the closest Walsall player was facing away from goal and coming under pressure from a rapidly advancing Wolves player. There were three Wolves players, plus the goalkeeper between the nearest Walsall player and the goal. What I found strange was that the referee blew his whistle just as another Walsall player, who had received a hurried pass, was shooting at goal from 40 yards out. In an ideal world, he would have waited until he knew whether or not the shot was bound for goal before blowing his whistle. Had the shot gone into the net, the referee could have played a brilliant advantage. As it was, it went miles over the bar, demonstrating that it was not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

It did look worse on the night. We were never going to get anything from that ref anyway. Shame they didn't show the clear hand ball by a Wolves defender in the area in the first half.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am

Love how alot of Wolves fans response to the loss against us - and the poor performances against Crawley and Swindon - is to spend more money. Their squad ay good enough apparently.

Years of repeatedly wasting money, they lose to a team which is built on a footballing philosophy and who are disciplined and work as a collective, and yet they learn nothing. Their squad is good enough to challenge for promotion already but they never think about working on the training ground, improving players and their attitutes. No - just spend some more Jackett... open the wallet Morgan... the young players are cack... sign big names... pay big wages.

They never learn.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 am

Good !! :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I've giffed up the goal for posterity

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Sydney Saddler wrote:I am a qualified referee and assessor who officiates on Premier League games in the Manly Warringah competition, which is the best amateur tournament in New South Wales and, probably, Australia. I have just seen the Wolves goalkeeper's handball on Saddlers Player and, in my opinion, it was a cautionable offence and nothing more. At the point of the offence, the closest Walsall player was facing away from goal and coming under pressure from a rapidly advancing Wolves player. There were three Wolves players, plus the goalkeeper between the nearest Walsall player and the goal. What I found strange was that the referee blew his whistle just as another Walsall player, who had received a hurried pass, was shooting at goal from 40 yards out. In an ideal world, he would have waited until he knew whether or not the shot was bound for goal before blowing his whistle. Had the shot gone into the net, the referee could have played a brilliant advantage. As it was, it went miles over the bar, demonstrating that it was not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

[/quote]

Even Jackett thought he was off. He had McCarey ready to come on.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 pm

We didn't need the sending off anyway, so it doesn't matter, but it's still a good talking point.

Looking at the screen shot, apart from the goal keeper, I think Sawyer is on the ball in plenty enough space to have a shot at an open goal.

Last edited by aaaae on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Louise wrote:Have lost my voice, stayed up far too late celebrating and have needed copious amounts of Red Bull to get through the day but I cant stop :D and have given every Dingle I know absolute hell and will contimue to do til March when we play them again.

Mine too.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season