Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

HEWITT!!!!!!!! We DO have a striker.... :D

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 pm

oooh, goal.

like it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

bescot42 wrote:When do you reckon Mick applied for the Walsall job?

in his dreams??

On Championship manager?? :D

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Penalties

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

can we bring Craig Shakespeare on for penalties???

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

oh shut up, Mick, for FFS. this is serious now.,

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:42 pm

We never win pelanty shoot outs so that's the end of that but sounds like we came out and gave it everything second half. Good dress rehearsal for a fortnight's time.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Everyone has been saying that O'Donnell's strength is as a shot stopper........... :?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 pm

bangsection wrote:We never win pelanty shoot outs so that's the end of that but sounds like we came out and gave it everything second half. Good dress rehearsal for a fortnight's time.

Remember the one V Bristol City in '87 to decide where the replay should be held? That was a good one to win :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Well, that's a good start.....NOT :(

Compounded :roll:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 pm

fudge me, a bit of excitement and the board goes to bollocks again. Sort it out mods :mrgreen:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 pm

WHY can't we take penalties?????????? :x

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Attendance 13,481 btw

bescot42
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Some woman has rung in to Radio Dingle complaining that they are too pro-Wolves! Haha!

PT
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Really frustrated at not being there, even more frustrated by having to listen to Mick and friend. But not at all frustrated by the lads.

Chuffed Hewitt scored and chuffed that we seemed to stumble upon a formation that seemed to give us more of a cutting edge. 433. Sawyers and Westcarr playing behind Hewitt. Playing to all three's strengths and then a three in midfield who between them have everything you need.

Makes us narrower and would put pressure onto our full-backs over ninety minutes but I think we may have a plan B there which is so much better than lobbing Butler up front for five minutes.

Pens - meh.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm

rogerem wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
carolineb wrote:What number for mick kearns then????

Hopefully not 1, although last season with Fat Jimmy and Grof, I thought it might be worth a punt :D

They gave it out once at the start of the commentary. I know it started 07 but that's all I can remember :wink:

07517 717417

Mmmmm ....Like giving out numbers do ya?

Shame we dont have yours. Could think of plenty of sites to put that on.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 pm

They must be so proud of themselves, thrashing us 2-2.
They won't have a harder game all the way to UEFA Johnstones League Final.

Well done to the team, the Dings really won't fancy it in a fortnight - for real - after that showing.
It was vitally important that we put up a good showing tonight with a Saturday of rest to come.
Very pleased despite the exit.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm heartened by the second half fightback, and we at least avoided 4 successive defeats in 'open play'. I just knew we would lose on penalties anyway.

A bit of a rest now before Crewe and the return to Mordor. I'm pleased for Hewitt and may be we have stumbled upon a Plan B as PT seems to suggest. Another striker still required please DS.

UTS.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:32 pm

They didn't beat us, impossible. Great warm up for the real thing in two weeks time. Beautiful.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:43 pm

A 2-2 home draw in a pointless trophy under the custard bowl floodlights... this must make Wolves the champions of Europe, right?

Nice to get Saturday out of the system ahead of the international break, let's hope we can get back on track at Crewe <-- that's the E&S headline right there.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, well ive just got back, from what was great second half. Superb.

If Dean Smith didnt know what his team should be, he learned it tonight.

Hewitt and Westcarr. fudge Lalkovic off, hes a big time knobhead, he should have been sent off. Ive never seen a striker clean through and turn backwards....incredible.

We were absolute garbage in the first half, we were lucky Wolves didnt turn the screw, we couldnt pass water. The goalie was glued to his line, and Sawyers and Featherstone were awful with the ball.

Second half, a bit better, we got a goal from a great cross and header. Wolves got the lead back with a very suspicious penalty but they had us on the cosh at that point anyway. Then we sprung into life again, best we have played this season, and if it was extra time, we would have had them. Should have got a winner but wasnt to be.

Hewitt looks decent, what a finish. Cracking end to end to second half. I knew we would lose on pens.

It was a bit fudge dicey the way we walked out, cops on top of the mongs from both sides though. twerp.

Some slag behind me was still calling Westcarr a "cack Scunthorpe" during the penalty shootout. Clueless bint. She belongs in a cupboard.

SADDLERS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Sawyers M.O.M, hemmings and Taylor destroyed there RB in the second half, Westcarr did well. LALKOVIC DO ONE, YOU HOLD US BACK, never seen a player stop running when put thro on goal, premiershite prima dona. Hewitts movement was a plus and should start the next game.

However, if we play like we did in the 1st half fir the league game they will destroy us with the return of their internationals.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:16 pm

I thought a few players backed out of challenges in the first half too. Second half we fought. Some great challenges.

Also, as much as i love the lad, Baxendale was atrocious.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

latviancheese wrote:I thought a few players backed out of challenges in the first half too. Second half we fought. Some great challenges.

Agree about baxo , people were woundering who was going to be subbed and it had to be him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm

IHTC. wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I thought a few players backed out of challenges in the first half too. Second half we fought. Some great challenges.

Agree about baxo , people were woundering who was going to be subbed and it had to be him.

Hemmings scored (i think) but he too was pretty poor. all game. Two up front changed it all

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Tonight was a big lesson for the ginger Mourinho. Play with a striker on the pitch and you stand half a chance of getting a result. Whatever your opinion of Westcarr, he changed the game when he came on, purely because he gave us a focal point up front. At long last, we were able to play the ball in their half.

For the first half, it was just like Saturday - men against boys. Thankfully though, they looked nearly as impotent in the final third as we did, which kept us in the game.

All that happened in the second half was, we had someone to aim for up front, and the bit between our teeth. Westcarr's cross for Hemmings was superb, and in the end we had two players just waiting to nod the ball home. It was written in the script for Hemmings to score because he'd been woeful up to then. And Baxendale was no better.

Course, Deadman did his best to send them through by giving them a really dubios penalty. I know it was dubious because penalties given from corners always are - especially in front of the League One equivalent of the Stretford End.

From that point on, we played like we had nothing to lose and were a joy to watch. Featherstone was the lynchpin in midfield and finally had reason to pass the ball forwards, and we suddenly had an abundance of bodies in and around the box. Hewitt took his goal like a true poacher, Mantom really should have scored when he blazed a loose ball over the bar, and had it been at the other end, I think we'd have had a penalty for handball. We certainly had them on the ropes and probably would have nicked it if we'd played for another 10 minutes.

On the balance of play a draw was fair, but we hampered ourselves by playing without a striker for 45 minutes. Idiots who simply don't get it will continue to slate Westcarr, but we need to face up to the fact that we're better with him in the side than without. As PT said earlier in this thread, Smith might have also stumbled across a plan B tonight, as we looked strong with Chambers, Featherstone and Mantom across the middle, with Sawyers and Westcarr just behind Hewitt. No width whatsoever, but our wide players aren't our strength anyway.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Good post Rob. Hemmings and Baxendale (on the wing) aint good enough im afraid.

Id rather use our full backs for a bit of width.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 pm

I aslo put it out there, the chambers bro's in the second half. They knew what it meant.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:Good post Rob. Hemmings and Baxendale (on the wing) aint good enough im afraid.

Id rather use our full backs for a bit of width.

If we can keep the ball in the opposition's half like we did in that second half, there's no reason why the fullbacks can't give us width. It was no coincidence Chambers and Taylor improved as the game went on.

Agree with you about the Chambers brothers too - and Mantom to be fair to him. They played like they wanted it.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Pathetic first half, bullied by a bigger, stronger and more expensive side. Lalkovic very poo, he just doesn't seem to spend time doing anything but falling over step overs - strange considering I expected him to be our signing light this season. Second half much better. There was only 1 team going to win at 2-2 and the FT whistle was a joy for them not us. Knew we'd lose on penalties. Beautiful finish by Hewitt who needs a start, purely because he's actually physically mobile and able to run.

Butler was absolutely an utterly fantastic tonight, won everything in the air and started the move for the Hemmings goal, before making a mad 70 yard dash to be on the end of it, captain fantastic and my MOTM. I do continue to wonder why we don't seem to 'go at' teams when we have possession, we'd sooner pass it 5 yards right than run 10 yards forward into free space, Featherstone is the guilty one for this.

A striker to play or give back up to Hewitt and Sawyers in the hole with a new right winger and we are on to something.

PS - Downing was poo tonight and looked very nervous.

Our support in numbers was decent, in noise - absolutely embarassing. Out sung all night.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season