Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Having been brought down to earth(a) with a solid bump against Preston North End, we now have to travel to the in-form Wolves in the first round of the Football League Trophy. Not much to say about them, but here are their last six competitive games:

Aug 3 League One Preston North End (A) 0-0 draw
Aug 6 League Cup Morecambe (A) 0-1 loss
Aug 10 League One Gillingham (H) 4-0 win
Aug 17 League One Bristol City (A) 2-1 win
Aug 23 League One Crawley Town (H) 2-1 win
Aug 31 League One Port Vale (A) 3-1 win

Manager Kenny Jackett has made three signings since replacing Dean Saunders - Midfielder Kevin McDonald from Sheffield United, and full backs Sam Ricketts (Bolton) and Scott Golbourne (Barnsley). From a slightly dithery start to their competitive games, Wolves seem to have found their feet and are now on a four game winning streak.

If we play the way we reportedly played against Preston North End I can see defeat on the horizon, but perhaps we'll sign a STRIKER between now and then..... :?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers FL Trophy (A) 3 Sep 7.45pm

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:31 pm

Wolves 12-0 Walsall

Westcarr to get sent off and help the teams overall performance in doing so.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:46 pm

A performance like today and it will be a cricket score, but I am hopeful we will have a 'Stoke' performance as the fans are owed it after today

paddy
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:02 pm

We will win on Tuesday

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm going to drink a lot, and hope for the best. Who knows....

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Having been brought down to earth(a) with a solid bump against Preston North End, we now have to travel to the in-form Wolves in the first round of the Football League Trophy. Not much to say about them, but here are their last six competitive games:

Manager Kenny Jackett has made three signings since replacing Dean Saunders - Midfielder Kevin McDonald from Sheffield United, and full backs Sam Ricketts (Bolton) and Scott Golbourne (Barnsley). From a slightly dithery start to their competitive games, Wolves seem to have found their feet and are now on a four game winning streak.

If we play the way we reportedly played against Preston North End I can see defeat on the horizon, but perhaps we'll sign a STRIKER between now and then..... :?

We have concede 6 goals this week. I reckon we might need Messi as the striker in order for us to outscore the opposition.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Will be there sadly sober (schoolnight), reckon we might concede 3-4 goals. Who knows if we will score.

Who cares cause we are Walsall Fc.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 pm

barclays trophy. Could not give a cack.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:53 am

kshammer wrote:barclays trophy. Could not give a eartha.

Maybe, but I don't fancy a tanking of the Wolves.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:00 am

So if we ever get to the final you would stay at home? :roll:

bushbury red
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:32 am

Think i heard you can pay on the day is this true wasnt going to go but might just pop along. !!

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 pm

kshammer wrote:barclays trophy. Could not give a cack.

So you are quite happy to lose to the dog heads ?
Sorry tell me again what kind of Walsall fan you are as i can't really get my head round it. You are not the one of the Walsall fans i know and love.
You must be one of the new breed.
You must be a complete and utter fool.
We dont need you, stay away.
Basically with views like yours you are totally insignificant to me and the people i know who have been watching and supporting us for many a year.
Go away and bore someone who thinks you are clever (cant be that many) or keep shouting your mouth off at the players we have.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:44 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

Sorry tell me again what kind of Walsall fan you are as i can't really get my head round it. You are not the one of the Walsall fans i know and love.
Basically with views like yours you are totally insignificant to me and the people i know who have been watching and supporting us for many a year.
Go away and bore someone who thinks you are clever (cant be that many) or keep shouting your mouth off at the players we have.

He's back :D

I do wonder why so many of our fans have no time for the only cup competition will will ever have a chance of winning, with a day out at Wembley. I reckon we would take more than 5,000 if we got there :lol:

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

I do wonder why so many of our fans have no time for the only cup competition will will ever have a chance of winning, with a day out at Wembley. I reckon we would take more than 5,000 if we got there :lol:

:D The beer is so good in Willenhall.

baker

Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Is anybody else worried we're not going to sell out our allocation on Tuesday? :?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:41 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

:D The beer is so good in Willenhall.

Count me in. Is the Willenhall Radiator Club still going on a Sunday morning?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Exactly. The two other football fans I envy the most over the last decade (for the entertainment the team has given their fans) are Blackpool and Swansea. Both of whom started their exciting periods by winning this trophy. Walsall fans who don't won't Walsall to with this don't deserve to ever see Walsall win anything.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:19 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Having been brought down to earth(a) with a solid bump against Preston North End, we now have to travel to the in-form Wolves in the first round of the Football League Trophy. Not much to say about them, but here are their last six competitive games:

We have concede 6 goals this week. I reckon we might need Messi as the striker in order for us to outscore the opposition.

6 goals is a disgrace. Smith can't afford to get it wrong again. Taylor in at least, but I'd go for Purkiss also, as he's capable of creating more than Chambers.

Preston to turn out to be our Coventry game of last season, and we'll go unbeaten until May. Either that or we'll lose 5 nil.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 am

6 goals probably isn't as bad as it sounds considering one of the games were against Stoke I guess. Also if you think about Stoke's first goal and Preston's 3rd goal, they are just ridiculous goals to concede, you may as well just do a Charlie Ntamark and put the ball in the net for them.

Just need to cut some of the individual errors out. I have a feeling the defence don't have much confidence in the keeper. Don't want to get on his back, but he doesn't fill me with confidence, even though he has made some fantastic saves in some of the games, there are question marks.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:31 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I have a feeling the defence don't have much confidence in the keeper. Don't want to get on his back, but he doesn't fill me with confidence, even though he has made some fantastic saves in some of the games, there are question marks.

There's a niggle over that one in the back of my mind too. I can see why we signed him, because his distribution is exceptional and he's a good shot stopper. Those qualities mean he has the potential to be a really good goalie. The problem is, he goes to pieces when the ball gets whipped in across him, as seen on Saturday. That first goal goes down as an O'Donnell error in my book, just as the third was an individual error from Benning.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:53 am

Of course i'd go to the final. I'm a football fan and allowed to be hugely fickle - i'd have a flag, a scarf and declare my love for the FL Trophy to all who would listen.

I will however be starting a thread called "disgraceful and embarassing" if we lose to the Dingles. That way everyone can know what a proper fan I am.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I have a feeling the defence don't have much confidence in the keeper. Don't want to get on his back, but he doesn't fill me with confidence, even though he has made some fantastic saves in some of the games, there are question marks.

There's a niggle over that one in the back of my mind too. I can see why we signed him, because his distribution is exceptional and he's a good shot stopper. Those qualities mean he has the potential to be a really good goalie. The problem is, he goes to pieces when the ball gets whipped in across him, as seen on Saturday. That first goal goes down as an O'Donnell error in my book, just as the third was an individual error from Benning.

You're right in that he is an excellent shot stopper and his distribution is good but his decision making really worries me. He doesn't seem to read crosses at all or know when to come of his line etc. I remember listening to a coach on telly once who said pretty much every goalie in the FL is an excellent shot stopper nowadays as those natural instincts are largely what makes them become goalies in the first place. He reckoned it is more the decision making, positioning, and I suppose attributes like distribution, side of the game that takes them to that next level of being a solid keeper.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:29 am

kshammer wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

You're right in that he is an excellent shot stopper and his distribution is good but his decision making really worries me. He doesn't seem to read crosses at all or know when to come of his line etc. I remember listening to a coach on telly once who said pretty much every goalie in the FL is an excellent shot stopper nowadays as those natural instincts are largely what makes them become goalies in the first place. He reckoned it is more the decision making, positioning, and I suppose attributes like distribution, side of the game that takes them to that next level of being a solid keeper.

I agree with you - and the point about just about every goalie being a good shot stopper is a good one.

My main worry at the moment is that his flaws are easily identified and tested by opposition teams. Any manager watching how uncomfortable he looked dealing with crosses under pressure against Notts County would definitely try using that to his advantage when facing us. In fact, I'm surprised Preston didn't use Davies' aerial prowess to better effect on Saturday.

The saving grace is that Andy Butler is usually pretty dominant from set pieces, which gives O'Donnell a bit of protection.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:21 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:because his distribution is exceptional and he's a good shot stopper. .

I see your point but the three goals against Preston could easily have been stopped imo.

Butler can protect him yes, but from set pieces there is at least 2 threats. A big achilles heel for us i feel, unless the keeper starts to command.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:05 pm

latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:because his distribution is exceptional and he's a good shot stopper. .

I see your point but the three goals against Preston could easily have been stopped imo.

Butler can protect him yes, but from set pieces there is at least 2 threats. A big achilles heel for us i feel, unless the keeper starts to command.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the goals he's conceded - I'm just saying he does have attributes that make him a promising 'keeper.

I think he's quite similar to John Ruddy, when we had him for that brief loan spell. He barely left his line and we suffered as a result. Difference is, he was a few years younger than O'Donnell, and Norwich have developed him into an England squad regular.

We need Cutler to be earning his crust on the training ground with O'Donnell.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:08 pm

kshammer wrote:Of course i'd go to the final. I'm a football fan and allowed to be hugely fickle - i'd have a flag, a scarf and declare my love for the FL Trophy to all who would listen.

I will however be starting a thread called "disgraceful and embarassing" if we lose to the Dingles. That way everyone can know what a proper fan I am.

And i will be the first to post, Proper fan ? have a word with yourself :shock:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Isn't there supposed to be a prediction or something in this thread?

Anyway Dings W/O-0 Saddlers:

Walsall FC are forced to admit an embarrassing error after they mistakenly go to Gurdwara instead, failing to notice the difference for a full two hours.
In opening minutes, the game is quiet. Contemplation is the order of the evening, as the team find it difficult to get out of their own half.
The assembled crowd engage in some quiet chanting, reminiscent of the days when the John Ireland stand was half a mile from the pitch.
At half time the team are impressed with their hosts, who provide light refreshments enjoyed by all.
Only the absence of penalty shootout alerts Dean Smith to the error late in the evening.

In light of the evening's events, the JPL committee meet and just award the trophy to the Dingles anyway 'for being great' on Franksy's personal recommendation.
Walsall are forced to play off against Sikh Hunters for the right to enter next year's competition, as clemency in lieu of disqualification.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:6 goals probably isn't as bad as it sounds considering one of the games were against Stoke I guess. Also if you think about Stoke's first goal and Preston's 3rd goal, they are just ridiculous goals to concede, you may as well just do a Charlie Ntamark and put the ball in the net for them.

Just need to cut some of the individual errors out. I have a feeling the defence don't have much confidence in the keeper. Don't want to get on his back, but he doesn't fill me with confidence, even though he has made some fantastic saves in some of the games, there are question marks.

Good Call. Did anyone notice Butler shaking his head and looking towards our goal at the halftime whistle? I thought it may have been because he was bemused by our less than luke warm applause. Maybe it was aimed at the keeper?

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:37 pm

On to the vital questions..... how easy/hard is it going to be getting a drink in Wolves tomorrow night?

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:39 pm

I properly hate going to Wolverhampton but go I must . Just to prolong the agony it goes all the way to pens to decide. Christ knows after that as we rarely shoot these days and I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to walk a penalty in !! :D
Up the Saddlers forever

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season