Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (H) League One Sat 31st Aug 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Preston North End (H) League One Sat 31st Aug 3pm

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:50 pm

Deeply humiliating....I thought we had the makings of a decent squad......obviously not, back to normal?

That nauseous git PNender or whatever the carers allow him to call himself, will be having an enormous 'stage fright' in his pants on our site at our expense!

Good job I 'covered' my wasted bet on a top six finish, with a heavily loaded relegation punt........

a really sad day for us all I think.

gray
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Deeply humiliating....I thought we had the makings of a decent squad......obviously not, back to normal?

That nauseous git PNender or whatever the carers allow him to call himself, will be having an enormous 'stage fright' in his pants on our site at our expense!

Good job I 'covered' my wasted bet on a top six finish, with a heavily loaded relegation punt........

I can't tell if you are serious or this is just a character you are playing. It's one game.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Deeply humiliating....I thought we had the makings of a decent squad......obviously not, back to normal?

Any excessive crowing will get my banning finger twitching......... :evil:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:59 pm

First defeat at home in sixteen according to Skysports. Bad day at the office to what sounded like a very good Preston side (although that third goal sounded abysmal!)

Still think we need an out and out striker - Not BRANDY though because he just got sent off, who needs a suspended player!

Well done for the sixteen unbeaten lads but let's learn from this and hopefully figure out 1. A plan B when a team has done its research and 2. A way to come back from this.

UP THE SADDLERS

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:00 pm

TWO attempts on goal in the whole match - both from Andy Taylor........says it all, really.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Absolutely disgusted in them today. Bennings performance was on a par with Taundrys at Cov, Westcarr hopeless, McDougal gives me no confidence, have no idea what lalkovic offers. We looked a lot better when the 3 subs came on but thats easy when your 3-0 down and after what had occurred in the previous 55 minutes.

Proud last Wednesday, disgusted today.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:05 pm

gray wrote:

I can't tell if you are serious or this is just a character you are playing. It's one game.

So. I presume you are reasonably confident that we can go to Orient on 28th Sept and wipe the floor with the talentless upstarts then?

Yes it is a character, those who know me will attest, but I 'm not afraid to state the bloomin obvious!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Deano out.

:mrgreen: But seriously, if he doesn't get someone in and start Sawyers...

gray
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
gray wrote:

So. I presume you are reasonably confident that we can go to Orient on 28th Sept and wipe the floor with the talentless upstarts then?

Yes it is a character, those who know me will attest, but I 'm not afraid to state the bloomin obvious!

I don't think you can say that we don't have a decent squad based on one game. Also I wouldn't call your top 6 bet "wasted" just yet.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Why did Smith start with Benning ? Why didn't Smith take Benning off at half time. Why wait till his contribution to us being 3 down and humiliate him hauling him off ? Why didn't Sawyers start ?. How bad is Hewitt when 3 goals down he remains on the bench ?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

:lol:

Talk about sensationalist rubbish

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

just got back from match

utter tripe at best

as soon as i heard the 3 changes on way to ground i knew it would be hard work and i was proved correct

from the start no pattern to our game aimless long hoofing mixed with the worst passing game ever and easily beat off the ball second to every ball

for as every bit as good we were at stoke we were as poor today
hope its a one off but hope smith has learnt his starting 11 from todays match.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:23 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:First defeat at home in sixteen according to Skysports. Bad day at the office to what sounded like a very good Preston side (although that third goal sounded abysmal!)

Still think we need an out and out striker - Not BRANDY though because he just got sent off, who needs a suspended player!

Well done for the sixteen unbeaten lads but let's learn from this and hopefully figure out 1. A plan B when a team has done its research and 2. A way to come back from this.

UP THE SADDLERS

Preston were the dictionary definition of ordinary . We were just very bad

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Why did Smith start with Benning ? Why didn't Smith take Benning off at half time. Why wait till his contribution to us being 3 down and humiliate him hauling him off ? Why didn't Sawyers start ?. How bad is Hewitt when 3 goals down he remains on the bench ?

It's unfair to criticise Smith for starting Benning. Andy Taylor was knackered after Wednesday.

chesterperry

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 pm

Simple facts lose 30 goals replace by 0, as well as any lower league side would play against a premier league side we are struggling and will struggle until until we spend a small proportion of transfer fees received, something which I think we all should be asking questions about

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:41 pm

benning was fudge awful today soet it out deano, the lads way out of his depth and he is never going to be good enough at this level. westcarr and baxendale looked poor today aswell. it is only 1 game but alarm bells are ringing because we don't have a plan b and we don't seem to be able to find a decent finisher, westcarr proved again today that he is not the answer.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Well you there go - let's not over-react.
But I said today's result would sent an important message to the rest of the division.

Our important message is this:
'Big time charlies are our lords and masters. We buy into the myth that the dings will walk the division. We are subservient.' :roll:

Doesn't it make the next two results vital now?
Thank god for Leyton Orient.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:51 pm

I wish people would stop banging on about losing Paterson, Grigg and Brandy.

The simple facts are this, if we keep conceding goals in the manner we are then we will keep making it difficult! Would any of the mentioned 3 have helped us defensively today?

I have said this before but we seem content allowing crosses to come into the box and giving silly free kicks away. I haven't seen us concede a goal yet this season where I thought the opposition have done well. They have all been sloppy and poor defending by us. This game highlighted a number of things for me:

O'Donnell looks very shaky when the ball comes in to our box in the air or at pace. He can shout as much as wants after the event but he is failing to deal with situations were you want your keeper to command.
Mantom seems to be going backwards at present, not carrying out a Chambers type role or being creative so effectively weakening us in the middle.
Baxendale was woeful today, and like Mantom seems to be going backwards at present.
I'm not sure what Lalkovic offers as our striker? He is more a wide player in my opinion.
Smith's substitutions basically admitted he got it wrong with his initial selection.
We have no Plan B, as the formation after the subs appeared to consist of Adam Chambers playing right midfield?
Hewitt must be gash as we have hardly seen him even with our striking situation.
Smith needs to sort some transfer activity out by 11pm Monday and I would suggest Julian Gray alone isn't the answer to our current problems.

Very frustrating today, and the Wolves won't be any easier when we visit them next.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 pm

That was utter cack. Left with ten to go which I never do . How the hell can Smith put featherstone and Sawyers on the bench after their performance at Stoke ??? Big lessons need to be learnt

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:03 pm

A very average Preston should have been out of sight at half time. We were awful from the first minute and couldn't put 2 passes together.
Just when it looked like we may somehow survive until the break our new dodgy keeper let,s in a soft goal --again.Another Grof I fear. Why we didn't try for Johnstone again I don,t know as he,s warming the bench at Yeovil? Why the need to have our own keeper? The loan system worked fine last year.
Yes Benning was poor but not any worse than most of the others today.Awful performances from Westcarr and Baxendale who when he plays poorly he really goes for it.How was he allowed to complete 90 mins?
We are disparate for a striker and from what I,ve seen of Hewitt it,s not him. We really are kidding ourselves if we think you can,t replace 40 goals with a decent striker.
Pretty depressed today after the worst performance in around 9 months.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

This will sound so over-reactionary but Smith needs to take a long look at himself after today. Not only was he tactically out-thought he didn't react to the way the game was going and his substitutions were once again an absolute farce, let alone his original starting XI. That was one of the top 10 worst home performances since I've been a Walsall fan, which is around a decade or so. There was no effort, no quality, no pace to the game, no plan B, no aerial threat, no compromise just a pile of utter fudge turd. We won no 50-50 balls, PNE were first to absolutely everything and his decision to not start with Romaine Sawyers was an utter joke. Offer Craig Westcarr out on loan or pay him up using Grigg's tribunal money, he's absolute scrapheap garbage and Paterson/Grigg/Brandy made him look half competent last season purely because they were so good.

Preston were really organised and together as a side but didn't really threaten or create much aside from 3 awfully scrappy goals from our point of view, they will finish around mid table unless things come together and they go on a big momentum hike. I was massively impressed with Grayson who must have sat and watched all our games this season and built his match plan around it. In attack PNE were 4-3-3 with Holmes playing next to Davies and Beavon but as soon as we got into the PNE half every single man was behind the ball apart from Davies who stood around the halfway line, fantastic tactics.

As for us and Smith, I'm really baffled by his game plan. It was clear after less than 15 minutes that Preston had come to take their chances and then sit with everyone behind the ball and despite our central midfield not having a sniff we didn't resort to a 4-5-1 or show an initiative to change the way we were playing. He could have brought Featherstone on and matched them man for man, but instead he fiddled and fannied around doing nothing and by the time he decided to change things it was 3-0 and all too late. Sawyers, Featherstone and Taylor (though I don't think he was fit) should have been on the pitch at kick off especially Sawyers who is our best creative midfielder by a long shot and could end up being as valuable to the side as a Brandy, Paterson or Grigg. His persistence in playing Craig Westcarr is really starting to grind on me already and other than 30 minutes against Tranmere Milan Lalkovic has really struggled to find his feet at this level, we NEED a new CF or else this season will wind down to a nothing effort, when it could have been much more.

The only players to take any sort of credit from todays performance were Butler and possibly James Chambers, Sawyers looked okay when he came on. Malvin Benning needs a long time out on loan in league two or something to try and bring his performance on, he looks ok going forward but is utter, utter dog cack at the back. Craig Westcarr, loan list the man or pay him up with Grigg's tribunal, he is utter and total non league tripe, seriously close to Ryan Jarvis levels of total and massive barclays.

Such an out of the blue performance, credit again goes to PNE for their superb tactical display and clinicalness vs our bad defending but that was one of the top 10 worst performances I've seen watching Walsall, worse than a lot of the Hutchings era and close to being as bad as our 5-1 defeat at Coventry last December when I honestly never wanted to see a live football kicked in my life again. Proud as punch the other night, embarassed, disgusted and aggravated 4 days later -

Note to Smith

- Centre forward with a remote sniff of goals, NOW.
- Romaine Sawyers MUST* under all circumstances start
- Be tactically aware when teams do home work and execute game plans against us.
- Sign a right winger and let Baxendale/Sawyers play in the hole, release or pay Craig Westcarr up, sign a proper winger

What an utter bullshit of a performance.

Ratings

Richard O'Donnell 2 - Pathetic for all 3 goals.

Mal Benning 1 - A Taundry at Coventry performance, pathetic. Loan him out to get some league game experience.
Andy Butler 7 - My Grandad came for the first time in 7-8 years today and he said our only player with a remote clue was Butler. Won a lot vs a strong forward in Davies.
Paul Downing 5 - Poor, his distribution was woeful. Communication between J.Chambers and Downing was poor when Holmes went through 1 on 1 early on.
James Chambers 6 - One of the best on the day.

Sam Mantom 3 - Barely a touch in the first half, a bit better second but that wasn't exactly a rigorous effort.
Adam Chambers 2 - Not fit, clearly. Shouldn't have played and it was noticeable how he barely did a recognised thing in 95 minutes.

Ashley Hemmings 4 - Back to the old Hemmings, over played, jogged around and couldn't be arsed.
James Baxendale 2 - One of his worst performances in a Walsall shirt, couldn't control the ball, impact the game or string anything together.
Milan Lalkovic 3 - MOTM? Clueless, nothing worked. Tried to overplay, was weak and dived on 3-4 occasions. Very poor start to his loan spell so far.

Craig Westcarr (-10)? 0 - Diabolical performance, to go along with 4 others this season. He is literally 1 microbe above a Jarvis/Parkin. Pathetic, slow, cack, uninterested, carthorse. Sell him, release him or spend £50k of the Grigg money paying him up. The worst striker in League One, along side Troy Hewitt in Deano's mind. So, so, so bad. I never ever want to see him where a Walsall shirt, again, ever.

Featherstone 5 - Did ok when he came on.
Taylor 8 - Only played 23 minutes but was our best player on the pitch
Sawyers 7 - Should be wondering what he has to do to get a start, poor lad's confidence must be down. Some nice touches and link up play.

Going to back Wolves - 10 goals for Tuesday, unless we get that out our system, it won't be worth entering the ground.

Utter and total bollocks. Disgraceful.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Not going to over react, it is one game after all. Some of the comments about certain players above are way over the top. The cracks have been appearing for a while, things aren't quite right, and it needs sorting out. There are various problems that need addressing, and it is up to Dean Smith to work it out. He got a lot very wrong today.

Key points.

* Baxendale is wasted on the wing, and we are in danger of ruining a good player keep playing him there.

* Lalkovic under no circumstances can play up front on his own, if at all. In fact I'd consider leaving him out all together, otherwise he needs to get him to work out wide.

* Hemmings needs to learn to play his role. He starts to central and drifts wide, his role should be the exact opposite.

* Sawyers needs to play, he could play upfront, he is pretty good with his back to goal, and at least we would hold the ball long enough to build an attack.

* Question marks about the keeper, decent enough at somethings, but to many goals conceded where it is hard to see how it was possible the ball went in. He isn't great at all when ball is put in the 6 yard box, which should be bread and butter.

Westcarr was poor today, but some of the comments you can tell people are itching to say bad stuff about him. He was no where near as bad as Lalkovic, who looks like someone they found on a park, being picked last by the captains. There is some promise with this team, but Smith has a lot of work, working out how to get it to work, cos right now it clearly isn't.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Wasnt there today, not all suprised Bennings cack has finally hit the fan, he just cant defend.

Deano as good as admitted he foooked up the selection though today.

Move on, a performance on tuesday all will be forgotten.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Not quite as upset as you Saddlers but agree with most of your content.
The alarm bells should be ringing loudly after today.
Some on here will quote the bad day at the office line but it was much much worse than that.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:04 pm

what fudge planet are you on pal.westcarr better than lalkovic :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:08 pm

I agree that some of my comments are probably an over-reaction, but today wasn't just a bad performance it was one of the very worst in recent times, certainly close not far behind Coventry away last year. Most of your points are correct. Baxendale isn't a winger, he and Sawyers should rotate the number 10 role and Smith should go ahead and sign someone like OSJ and use a proper winger. Westcarr shouldn't be in our team, he isn't a league one player and he wouldn't be on ANY teams radar in this division if we let him go, he wouldn't be on many in the league below either. It'l be a huge mistake to lose out on Baxendale's ability by keeping him wide as will it Sawyers ability when Smith spends half the season wasting and dropping him, reducing his confidence and then wondering why he doesn't want to sign our shite contract at the end of the season.

I think Lalkovic get's an easier time of things, but that's purely because he looks like if he wanted to he could create something, he does have a few skills and a bit of pace. I just fail to see what Westcarr offers, specifically now that we have a MUCH better pair of number 10's in Baxo/Sawyers. Westcarr is lazy, he can't hold it up, he doesn't look like scoring, he doesn't create, he doesn't retain the ball, he has no agility or pace - he's just a lower half league two centre forward IMO. He wouldn't get in more than 10 of the FL72 IMO.

For me;

- A new striker and a proper right winger NOW.
- Get rid of either Hewitt/Westcarr - we don't have the room for both if we are to use our budget properly.
- A bit out of the box, but I'd be tempted to give Kieron Morris a run out on the wing as he is more natural there.
- Use Baxendale and Sawyers as the number 10, Lalkovic and a new CF as the proper strikers.
- Keep Benning out of the limelight for a while, he will need time away after today.
- Consider playing Featherstone instead of Chambers or Mantom as neither have started the season anything like well enough.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:09 pm

tipton saddler wrote:what donald planet are you on pal.westcarr better than lalkovic :lol:

Apart from 20 mins against Tranmire they have both been rubbish, as stated above rip westcarrs contract up give him 50p to p1ss off and send Lalkovic back to Chelsea, we are a better team without him, offers nothing to the team. Sawyers is 3x a better player.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:16 pm

We were second best all over the pitch from the first whistle to the last. Preston didn't even need to play well to brush us aside with ease.

Hopefully this performance and result gives Smith and the players a reality check. We need a striker badly, and signing one could solve a whole load of problems.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 pm

The disappointing thing today was that the warning signs were there from the start, Chambers chasing back for a last minute tackle, Benning heading it out for a corner with no-one within a 100 yards. It's very easy with hindsight, but changes should have been made at this point when it was clear too many players weren't at the races. Sawyers and Featherstone should have been on much sooner.

The other thing today was that we looked lethargic, similar to when we went on the bad run last year.Maybe too much effort was expended on Wednesday night. Hopefully it's just a one off.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:51 pm

It's pretty easy to pick out individual bad performances, and it was easy today because there was many of them.

However, the manager caused most of these problems with very poor team selection and tactics. Having Lalkovic as the focal point upfront is never ever going to work, and it affects the whole team when the ball can't stick.

Lots of individual errors and so on also. Put it behind us and hope we are better against the Wolves Tuesday.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season