Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stoke City (A) League Cup 2nd rd 28th Aug 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Stoke City (A) League Cup 2nd rd 28th Aug 7.45pm

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I still haven't stopped laughing about the smoke bomb, best smoke bomb ever :lol:

Great effort second half, deserved better, we'll come again, hopefully both game v the Wolves.

Thanks to those who left me and Asps in Stoke to find our own way home, much appreciated. x x x

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saw you both fannying around on the Harvester car park lol. It's the Walsall way :mrgreen:

Next time you want a lift from Luton airport phone a donald taxi you northern Scunthorpe :lol:

And you would have wanted a lift to Wigan because??? :D

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Sadders wrote:I thought Featherstone was very frustrating this evening and he was part of the reason it took far too long to get the ball forward for the most part. Everytime he gets the chance to go forward, he checks back or turns away from a player as he's too small, weak and paceless to beat the man and release the ball. He kept the ball okay but is frustratingly slow and lacking confidence when running with the ball that it's a detriment to the team. Chambers to come back in when fit. Thought James Chambers played well tonight and Sawyers simply has too start he's our best attacking threat on the ball. Westcarr is not the answer, he was absolutely awful tonight and his performance against Notts County a fortnight ago was shudder worthy, specifically in the first half and his chance squandering in the second half was dreadful.

A new centre forward, a starting place for Sawyers, Lalkovic wide and we are onto something.

Have to disagree on the Featherstone comments. He had a very good game, him and Sawyers were my stand out performers today. I can understand your point regarding Featherstone checking back a lot, but I feel this was the right decision for him to help keep the ball for as long as possible until support arrived to fully launch an attack.don't Only area which looks weak is u front, don't want to be over critical of Westcarr as I think he's a good player, just don't think he's the guy t get us 15-20 goals this season, we really need an out and out striker and maybe a defender and we could really give league 1 a go this season!

As for the game, very proud saddler, second half performance was fantastic and the away fans were extremely vocal throughout. People moaning about the smoke bomb are being a bit petty in my opinion. It didn't hurt anyone and just added to the atmosphere a little so don't see the problem personally.I'd say around 1800 maybe 2000 saddlers there tonight.

Roll on Preston and Wolves in the JPT!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Last orders, and the Station

stokiejoe

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 pm

IHTC. wrote:From a Sjoke fan who obviously knows alot about football...

'Lets not kid ourselves, one or two promising performances but we were donald eartha. Walsall look a bottom half league one side to me and we weren't much better.'

You lot looked decent to be fair. The fact that we played pretty poorly and still won by a comfortable margin in the end is a big bonus for us. "Good teams win when they play well- great teams win however they play."

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Sadders wrote:I thought Featherstone was very frustrating this evening and he was part of the reason it took far too long to get the ball forward for the most part. Everytime he gets the chance to go forward, he checks back or turns away from a player as he's too small, weak and paceless to beat the man and release the ball. He kept the ball okay but is frustratingly slow and lacking confidence when running with the ball that it's a detriment to the team. Chambers to come back in when fit. Thought James Chambers played well tonight and Sawyers simply has too start he's our best attacking threat on the ball. Westcarr is not the answer, he was absolutely awful tonight and his performance against Notts County a fortnight ago was shudder worthy, specifically in the first half and his chance squandering in the second half was dreadful.

A new centre forward, a starting place for Sawyers, Lalkovic wide and we are onto something.

Sawyers played well against Notts County. Didn't keep his place at Brentford did he. Don't hold your breath him starting Saturday.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 pm

stokiejoe wrote:

'Lets not kid ourselves, one or two promising performances but we were donald shite. Walsall look a bottom half league one side to me and we weren't much better.'

You lot looked decent to be fair. The fact that we played pretty poorly and still won by a comfortable margin in the end is a big bonus for us. "Good teams win when they play well- great teams win however they play."

You were only playing a mid table 3rd division side ffs, play like that against good teams they will spank you. Work your way back down the leagues before long I reckon. Vale were better than you lot.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 am

stokiejoe wrote:

'Lets not kid ourselves, one or two promising performances but we were donald shite. Walsall look a bottom half league one side to me and we weren't much better.'

You didn't look very comfortable for most of the second half. I assume your "great teams" comment was tongue in cheek cos great teams do not get passed off the park by teams 2 divisions and light years in terms of money below them. You were clinical. We weren't. You have been decent enough to come on here and chat and not give it the big one so fair play. For the first time in my life I actually clapped Sjoke fans when plenty stood up to our "stand up if you hate the wolves" songs :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:14 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

You were only playing a mid table 3rd division side ffs, play like that against good teams they will spank you. Work your way back down the leagues before long I reckon. Vale were better than you lot.

No need for that, his posts and points have been perfectly valid. They didn't play well, but beat a team who were well up for it and did so comfortably in the end. They weren't great and only Jones stood out for them, but they are used to playing Premier League sides, our football will probably seem sub-standard just like our support on the face of things to Sjoke's fanbase. Our battle lies to finish in the top half of League One, not the premier league and performances like tonight will see that happen with relative ease, providing with tweak things here and there.

stokiejoe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:17 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

Whooshh. Keep your blouse on dear. Humour bypass or what?
Last edited by stokiejoe on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

stokiejoe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

You didn't look very comfortable for most of the second half. I assume your "great teams" comment was tongue in cheek cos great teams do not get passed off the park by teams 2 divisions and light years in terms of money below them. You were clinical. We weren't. You have been decent enough to come on here and chat and not give it the big one so fair play. For the first time in my life I actually clapped Sjoke fans when plenty stood up to our "stand up if you hate the wolves" songs :D
yeah. I was being sarcastic :D oh and we hate the dingles as much (okay, nearly as much) as you lot! :lol:

stokiejoe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:24 am

Sadders wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

No need for that, his posts and points have been perfectly valid. They didn't play well, but beat a team who were well up for it and did so comfortably in the end. They weren't great and only Jones stood out for them, but they are used to playing Premier League sides, our football will probably seem sub-standard just like our support on the face of things to Sjoke's fanbase. Our battle lies to finish in the top half of League One, not the premier league and performances like tonight will see that happen with relative ease, providing with tweak things here and there.
on tonight you should comfortably finish in the top half. You play some damn good football. Our centre backs havn't quite got the hang of it yet. :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 am

Sadders wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

shut up you tart. Stick up for your own :roll:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 am

stokiejoe wrote:
Sadders wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

on tonight you should comfortably finish in the top half. You play some damn good football. Our centre backs havn't quite got the hang of it yet. :mrgreen:

Nice one Joe. People like you are always welcome on this board cos you seem like a proper football fan, though having said that why you support Sjoke is beyond me :D

I reckon at one point you lot were there for the taking tonight. Can we have Kenwyn Jones on loan? :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 am

No need for what? The truth. I think you need to find a corner, stand in it, and have a word with yourself.

He was claiming they played poorly, but still won by a comfortable margin, and that is the sign of a good team. Sorry to disagree, but they were passed off the park by a team two divisions lower for most of the second half, they finished the game off with a whole 8 minutes to spare.

Not really interested in fan bases either, we showed their support up again, as we did last time we went there in the cup, not bad for a mickey mouse club living in the shadows. My battle isn't with anyone, just an opinion on his post, nothing more.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 am

stokiejoe wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

Had my sense of humour removed at birth (or my first visit to fellows park) you seem a decent bloke for a Stoke fan, so no offence meant to you. More pity that you are from Stoke really :wink:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:39 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I still haven't stopped laughing about the smoke bomb, best smoke bomb ever :lol:

Will you find it equally amusing when our policing costs are higher than the rent?
Dopey Scunthorpe.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:14 am

Great effort second half, deserved better, we'll come again, hopefully both game v the Wolves.

Thanks to those who left me and Asps in Stoke to find our own way home, much appreciated. x x x

The smoke bomb wastn't good for the guy whose back it landed on.The thrower should be banned for life. :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 am

IHTC. wrote:p.s took ages to find out the attendance but apparently it was either 10,000 or 10,001 :D

Not publishing the attendance is a bit tinpot, isn't it :wink: ?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

The smoke bomb wastn't good for the guy whose back it landed on.The thrower should be banned for life. :roll:

There was a lot for the club to proud off last night. A great second half performance and a brilliant Saddler following The night was slightly marred by the prat with smoke bomb and the Scunthorpe's who were arguing with the stewards to be let back in even though the match had ended! There will always be knobheads at football matches but it's made that little bit worse when they are your own knobheads.

stokiejoe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am

stokiejoe wrote:
Sadders wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Nice one Joe. People like you are always welcome on this board cos you seem like a proper football fan, though having said that why you support Sjoke is beyond me :D

I reckon at one point you lot were there for the taking tonight. Can we have Kenwyn Jones on loan? :D[/quote] go for it he's bone idle. :lol:

stokiejoe

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
stokiejoe wrote:

Had my sense of humour removed at birth (or my first visit to fellows park) you seem a decent bloke for a Stoke fan, so no offence meant to you. More pity that you are from Stoke really :wink:
haha. I had all my senses removed by the ten seasons under pulis! No offence taken by the way :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Nice tippy tappy stuff again, and much more direct in the second half made us more effective. When I say direct, I mean getting forward in 5/6 passes instead of fannying around our own box and eventually giving it away.

That's exactly right. Last night's problem was, we played a lot of our football in our own half, which is fundamentally how they grabbed their first goal.

I thought we played really well overall, but the game really was a tale of two strikers. Their £12 million one scored a hat-trick, while our non-existent one meant we let a fighting chance of beating them go to waste.

For me, Mantom had his best game in a Walsall shirt, and ran the game for our best 20 minutes in the second half. His run and pass for the goal was absolutely superb, and he was here, there and everywhere for most of the second half. I think we should take their decision to put N'Zonzi on as a massive complement, because it showed they were worried about Mantom and Featherstone dictating the game.

I thought everyone probably had a 7/10 performance, with the exception of Mantom, who I'd give an 8 to. That's no mean feat given our opposition.

Italiansaddler

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:36 am

I thought we played well can't fault the effort we looked very good once again with the ball
But saying that how many saves did their keeper make and this is our problem we need to shoot more,,
Westcarr is going to get a lot of stick but I really think he's being played in a postion that's isn't his best!! Last season he played behind 3 better players we need a goal scorer badly but they cost money so I don't think we will get one :((

Sawyer is class tho every game I seen this season he is our best player by miles!!!

Enjoyed the game nice to see us play agasint a good solid premier team and play such nice football!!

Ps. I did find it hard to watch the game with a girl near in me with the smallest hot pants I have ever seen :)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

Yeah fair enough, sorry if it caused any offence to anyone. Pretty sure there were some kids sitting down that bit as well. Did they find out who did it ?

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:17 am

Italiansaddler wrote:Ps. I did find it hard to watch the game with a girl near in me with the smallest hot pants I have ever seen :)

You Italians... :lol:

Stoke are obviously bigger, stronger and better but it must gall their fans a little that a league 1 team can knock the ball around better than them. If I were a Stoke fan this morning (shudder) i'd be happy with the win of course but concerned that Mark Hughes is supposedly trying to make them a more footballing side but in an early (and on paper, easy) chance to demonstrate it they couldn't.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 am

Italiansaddler wrote:I thought we played well can't fault the effort we looked very good once again with the ball
But saying that how many saves did their keeper make and this is our problem we need to shoot more,,
Westcarr is going to get a lot of stick but I really think he's being played in a postion that's isn't his best!! Last season he played behind 3 better players we need a goal scorer badly but they cost money so I don't think we will get one :((

Sawyer is class tho every game I seen this season he is our best player by miles!!!

Enjoyed the game nice to see us play agasint a good solid premier team and play such nice football!!

Ps. I did find it hard to watch the game with a girl near in me with the smallest hot pants I have ever seen :)

I would keep that quiet considering whose daughter she is :D :wink:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
Italiansaddler wrote:I thought we played well can't fault the effort we looked very good once again with the ball

I would keep that quiet considering whose daughter she is :D :wink:

I know who that is just from that comment!

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 am

I think we can count ourselves unlucky not to take it to extra time at least. The first half was pretty even, nothing between the two sides really. The first goal was just poor defending, trying to play our way out of our own corner, giving it away inside the box. At times like that you wish we would be a little more Stoke like (as much as it pains me to say) and just get rid. The second was from an inevitable set piece where we were just bullied.

Second half we dominated possession and deserved our goal. After that, we had a spell of 20mins where we were unplayable. Having said that we didn't force Sorensen to make anything resembling a save. The third goal, we again gave the ball away on the half way line and were punished.

Special mention to Featherstone, who was excellent. Rarely misplaced a pass, just wish at times he'd pull the trigger. Sawyers showed his quality again. One ball across their back line to Taylor was sublime. Great to see Taylor back, Bennington has been a decent stand in, but you just feel calmer when Taylor has it.

I thought Mantom was average first half, he was decent braking play up but his passing seemed to be half a yard out. At half time I was considering giving Featherstone a chance against Preston with Chambers. Mantom showed his class second half though and really ran things. Brilliantly unselfish to lay the goal on too.

The problem for me lies with Baxendale. I'm one of his biggest fans, and he's a quality player when deployed in the right way. I just think he's wasted out on the right and we can't get him into the game. He's far better playing off the striker, but I don't think he's as good as Sawyers in that role. He'd even be better on the left cutting in, but Hemmings is in the best form of his Walsall career so it would be a shame to switch them. It's just something to ponder, I just hope we can get the best out of him as he's a top, top player.

Quick mention to a few fair weather fans who must have been to their first game in a while. From three stepper ate people I heard some call Paul Downing "Tom tit", Sawyers apparently gave the ball away every time he had it, and the icing on the cake, 5mins into the second half "Make some changes you See You Next Tuesday"!! Utterly clueless. Hopefully these people will come to more games and actually see what we have here. A good team with some excellent individuals, and a manager who clearly isn't a see you next Tuesday!!

Play like we did, we will beat Preston, UTS

gray
Glitterati

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 am

Think thats pretty spot on Nic.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

A lot of clueless fans coming to their first games in a while and moaning, that's true. People we're criticising Hemmings all around me, think they must of seen his performances last season and kept those judgements! Featherstone played brilliantly and deserves to be considered for Preston, as well as Mantom having a stormer in the second half.

Special mention to Sorenson for clapping us at the end of the game and the Stoke fans for being good sports :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season