Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stoke City (A) League Cup 2nd rd 28th Aug 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
SWS1

Re: Stoke City (A) League Cup 2nd rd 28th Aug 7.45pm

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
He was claiming they played poorly, but still won by a comfortable margin, and that is the sign of a good team. Sorry to disagree, but they were passed off the park by a team two divisions lower for most of the second half, they finished the game off with a whole 8 minutes to spare.

I do think you should recognise (as someone else has pointed out) when a poster has his tongue firmly in his cheek - and, to boot, has given us full credit for a good performance lacking a cutting edge, which seems to be the consensus amongst those who went. Peace! 8)

SWS1

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I still haven't stopped laughing about the smoke bomb, best smoke bomb ever :lol:

Great effort second half, deserved better, we'll come again, hopefully both game v the Wolves.

Thanks to those who left me and Asps in Stoke to find our own way home, much appreciated. x x x

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saw you both fannying around on the Harvester car park lol. It's the Walsall way :mrgreen:

Next time you want a lift from Luton airport phone a donald taxi you northern Scunthorpe :lol:

I wonder whether this could be more graphic:
Scunthorpe - Shorpe = .... :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 am

SWS1 wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
He was claiming they played poorly, but still won by a comfortable margin, and that is the sign of a good team. Sorry to disagree, but they were passed off the park by a team two divisions lower for most of the second half, they finished the game off with a whole 8 minutes to spare.

I do think you should recognise (as someone else has pointed out) when a poster has his tongue firmly in his cheek - and, to boot, has given us full credit for a good performance lacking a cutting edge, which seems to be the consensus amongst those who went. Peace! 8)

I did after the event, and posted accordingly :wink:

It's harder to work out tones after a skinful of ale.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Whitters wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I still haven't stopped laughing about the smoke bomb, best smoke bomb ever :lol:

Will you find it equally amusing when our policing costs are higher than the rent?
Dopey Scunthorpe.

In retrospect yes it may have been a stupid comment, made after a few beers. I wouldn't recommend taking that tone with me though, just about had enough of people thinking they can talk to me however they like. Jog on sunshine.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:07 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:p.s took ages to find out the attendance but apparently it was either 10,000 or 10,001 :D

Not publishing the attendance is a bit tinpot, isn't it :wink: ?

11,700 has now been mentioned. Find it abit strange that the attendance has not been made public, perhaps Bonser has had a word :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Westcarr was outstanding last season in the "number ten" position. He's mostly played further forward this season and is far from outstanding in that position.

No he wasn't.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:52 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Will you find it equally amusing when our policing costs are higher than the rent?
Dopey Scunthorpe.

In retrospect yes it may have been a stupid comment, made after a few beers. I wouldn't recommend taking that tone with me though, just about had enough of people thinking they can talk to me however they like. Jog on sunshine.

Fight, fight, fight...

gray
Glitterati

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:Westcarr was outstanding last season in the "number ten" position. He's mostly played further forward this season and is far from outstanding in that position.

No he wasn't.

He was pretty good.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Regarding Westcarr and our striking situation... I like Westcarr and believe we are a better team with him in it than not. His ability to drop into pockets and bring others into the final third really is first class, but as a number 10. It is impossible for him to do that without the opposition minimising our threat, as was the case against Notts County.

The Grigg patience situation doesn't wash with me. Grigg was and always will be a forward. There was always a decent forward there. Westcarr isn't an out-an-out forward in my opinion.

Personally I feel we need to bring in an out-an-out forward ASAP.

We must be so easy to watch pre-fixture. That is my biggest fear this season.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm

gray wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

No he wasn't.

He was pretty good.

No he wasn't

PT
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:04 pm

It was good fun.

More cup runs please.

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:19 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Dopey Scunthorpe.

Fight, fight, fight...

I was at a match a while ago with my daughter and a smoke bomb (flare) was thrown and ended up at our feet.
Clothes and shoes were ruined. The stuff just won't wash out.
But it could have been worse.
If the judiciary ever want someone to punish the braindead who do this sort of stuff then I'll gladly volunteer to put a flare up the jacksies of those responsible (lit end in)and laugh hysterically at the result.
As for the ones who think it's funny and who blame alcohol for their laughter don't ask for my sympathy when something bad happens to you or your family as a result of someone else's stupidity.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm

PT wrote:More cup runs please.

Agreed. Does one win count as a cup run though?!

gray
Glitterati

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Leatherman wrote:
gray wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

No he wasn't.

He was pretty good.

No he wasn't

He had a few really good games.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm

PT wrote:It was good fun.

More cup runs please.

It was good fun wasn't it?

Shame about the result though 3-1 certainly flattered Stoke.

I thought the passing was over elaborate at times and needs to be done with an end product in mind; be more positive in moving the ball around. The goal showed the way: excellent build up and execution. They can do it, they know they can do it. So start doing it more often.

General movement off the ball could have been better. A lot of possession was lost because the bloke with the ball didn't have an outlet: too many players watching the game instead of being part of it. (Lalkovic's problem too, that's why he gets caught out offside too many times).

talking to the Stoke lads after the match they were a bit flattering regarding our style of play (I did sense some relief there, and couldn't say they would have been so complimentary had we stuffed them).

Not much else to add really apart from mentioning Baxendales work rate off the ball, which was pretty good but went unrewarded for most part.

Note for D.S.: Introduce Baxendale to J Chambers and remind him he's on the same side so it's ok to pass to him. Just in case, stick photo of Baxendale on J. Chambers' shirt peg so he doesn't forget.

On reflection, I got the impression that they lacked conviction in the way they approached the game last night, and that might be the difference between them having a good season or a really good season. I still think they have the potential to do something remarkable this time around, but whether they believe it or not, I'm not so sure.

Like my Stokie mate said: Whether they think they can or whether they think they can't, ...they'll be right.

P.S. to the bloke who threw the smoke bomb: What the fudge hell were you thinking of?
Last edited by Leatherman on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm

gray wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
gray wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

No he wasn't.

He was pretty good.

No he wasn't

He had a few really good games.

Nope.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Clueless.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Anyone know the official away attendance yet ?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Clueless.

He certainly is.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 pm

Bee_Leevers wrote:Anyone know the official away attendance yet ?

11,600 give or take cannot remember the exact number with 1,500 saddlers

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 am

IHTC. wrote:

There must have been more than that in our end. The away stand holds 4000, and Walsall fans went across about two thirds of the stand. Obviously there were empty seats scattered in between, but it must have been half full at least.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:33 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

There must have been more than that in our end. The away stand holds 4000, and Walsall fans went across about two thirds of the stand. Obviously there were empty seats scattered in between, but it must have been half full at least.

I would have thought so aswel but just repeating what the club told me

PT
Site Addict

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:12 am

1,500 seems about right to me.

I was one of the few people in the lower section behind the goal. We were to the left hand of the post so not even half way across and in the lower bit there were barely 10 people to the right of us (you'll see lots of empty seats there when you see the goals/highlighlights.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:30 am

IHTC. wrote:

I assume they used the same counting method as the one employed by Notts County when we went up?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 pm

1534 Saddlers at Stoke, quality.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

mmmmm...

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season