Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League One - 17 Aug 2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Notts County (H) League One - 17 Aug 2013

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:11 pm

The oldest professional football club in the world are our visitors on Saturday having been founded in 1862. Winners of the F.A. Cup in 1894, finalists 1891. Manager is Chris Kiwomya, who has been in charge since February this year.

They haven't had the best start to the season, losing their first two League games - 2-1 at Bramhall Lane, and then 2-4 at home to Peterborough. They've had better fortune in the League Cup though getting the better of Fleetwood 3-2, which has earned them a money-making 2nd round tie at Anfield. Leading goalscorer is Enoch Showunmi, with two goals so far.

Last season we drew with County 1-1 at home (Grigg) and won away 1-0 (Butler).

Their fans are largely pessimistic having lost three midfielders in the close season, judging by one of the forum websites.

Prediction? I have to be guardedly optimistic - County have had stiff tests in their League fixtures so far, but I think we can manage a 2-1 win (Lalkovic, Westcarr).

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Re: Notts County (H) League One - 17 Aug 2013

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm

One nil to County. Tony Hateley to score

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm going for an entertaining 3-1 victory.

Goals:

Westcarr (2)
Butler

Attendance:

5,012 (478 from Nottingham)

Get yourselves and anyone you can drag along down to Bescot Nou boys!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:17 pm

I must go on holiday for the first week of the season more often, because it has been a long, long time since we won our first three league and cup matches.

Although the Magpies have lost the first couple of matches I see an entertaining 2-2 draw [Lalkovic, Mantom] in front of 4,556, including 723 away fans.

UTS.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm

We rarely win away at Port Vale - We rarely win away at Oldham - We rarely beat Notts County at home.

A close fought 1-0 home win I think.

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:31 am

4-1 Walsall 2 from westcarr 1 from sawyers and 1 from Milan

5045 there including 563 from Nottingham

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:12 pm

It'll be a tough game yet again like I said it would be against Oldham, so i'll go for a 1-1 draw

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:21 pm

County had some injuries/suspensions in defence, this weekend.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 pm

One look at our home record and they might not turn up,if they do another clean sheet required 2-0.Give Sawyers the first 70 minutes,bring Milan on when they are tiring.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:42 pm

WarsawPact wrote:County had some injuries/suspensions in defence, this weekend.

Is Manny Smith still injured?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:10 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:County had some injuries/suspensions in defence, this weekend.

Is Manny Smith still injured?

Got sent off in the cup, so presumably was suspended yesterday.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:It'll be a tough game yet again like I said it would be against Oldham, so i'll go for a 1-1 draw

so what games do you expect not to be tough ?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 pm

We will win 19-4.

fudge the police.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We will win 19-4.

donald the police.

Can't see 'em scoring more than 3 myself!! :lol: :lol:

Though it may spoil our 100% record I think it may end 1-1, though they did look a thoroughly demoralised lot from the bit we saw of 'em on the telly this weekend, if we were to get an early goal we may get a hatful, lets hope so!

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote: if we were to get an early goal we may get a hatful, lets hope so!

I agree. I see Notts County as an average mid table team, and we are so much better than that these days - I think it's just taking a while to sink in. They are one of those teams which we could easily put to the sword and I fancy us for a 4-1 win. Westcarr brace, Bax and Butler.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:01 am

windowman wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:It'll be a tough game yet again like I said it would be against Oldham, so i'll go for a 1-1 draw

Lincoln City in the cup..... Oh yeah :lol:

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
windowman wrote:

Lincoln City in the cup..... Oh yeah :lol:

:D 8)

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:54 am

Come on you lot, don't let me down.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 am

2-0 to us. Lalkoseltzer and Baxiesta.

Hopefully i'll get chance to thank Manny Smith for moving clubs and allowing us to sign a good centre half.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Come on you lot, don't let me down.

You didn't read to the end of the front page Oldham match report then :mrgreen:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am

Exile wrote:
Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Come on you lot, don't let me down.

You didn't read to the end of the front page Oldham match report then :mrgreen:

Have looked but cannot see what you mean :|

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:17 am

kshammer wrote:2-0 to us. Lalkoseltzer and Baxiesta.

Hopefully i'll get chance to thank Manny Smith for moving clubs and allowing us to sign a good centre half.

He was a good center half. Probably not good enough to get in to our first team now, but when he left he was replaced with Holden, he is clearly better than him. Sure Butler would vouch for that if he was being honest, Manny Covered his arse enough times. Dean Smith didn't want him to leave, so I guess he rated him too.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

He was a good center half. Probably not good enough to get in to our first team now, but when he left he was replaced with Holden, he is clearly better than him. Sure Butler would vouch for that if he was being honest, Manny Covered his arse enough times. Dean Smith didn't want him to leave, so I guess he rated him too.

I know he was ok really... but only ok. :wink:

In all seriousness though, and in hindsight (which is a wonderful thing), I am glad he left. It opened a slot in the team for a far superior player - I can't speak highly enough of Downing and think he is potentially the best of the lot out of our youngsters in the last season or two.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:02 am

kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

He was a good center half. Probably not good enough to get in to our first team now, but when he left he was replaced with Holden, he is clearly better than him. Sure Butler would vouch for that if he was being honest, Manny Covered his Arsenal enough times. Dean Smith didn't want him to leave, so I guess he rated him too.

In all seriousness though, and in hindsight (which is a wonderful thing), I am glad he left. It opened a slot in the team for a far superior player - I can't speak highly enough of Downing and think he is potentially the best of the lot out of our youngsters in the last season or two.

I completely agree. As good a defender as Smith was, in the purest sense of the word, would he fit into our style of play now, where he'd be required to pass the ball to feet, rather than lumping it into Jon Macken's head?
I'd suggest probably not.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:12 am

kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

He was a good center half. Probably not good enough to get in to our first team now, but when he left he was replaced with Holden, he is clearly better than him. Sure Butler would vouch for that if he was being honest, Manny Covered his Arsenal enough times. Dean Smith didn't want him to leave, so I guess he rated him too.

Agree, he's not quite Scott Dann with the ball at his feet, but he's a bloody good defender, I'd be much happier if we had him tied down for a couple of years. Downing has grabbed his chance with both hands, I can see him playing higher up the leagues at some point.

As for the point about Smith not fitting in to our style of play, possibly, but then again Butler is hardly Beckenbauer, he has been taught (in the last year) not to lump so many aimless balls, and I am sure they could have done something similar with Smith. Anyway doesn't really matter now, Smith wasn't worth crying any tears over when he left, but all the same he was a decent servant for us in my opinion.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:19 am

Manny Smith still loves Gays

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Agree, he's not quite Scott Dann with the ball at his feet, but he's a bloody good defender, I'd be much happier if we had him tied down for a couple of years. Downing has grabbed his chance with both hands, I can see him playing higher up the leagues at some point.

As for the point about Smith not fitting in to our style of play, possibly, but then again Butler is hardly Beckenbauer, he has been taught (in the last year) not to lump so many aimless balls, and I am sure they could have done something similar with Smith. Anyway doesn't really matter now, Smith wasn't worth crying any tears over when he left, but all the same he was a decent servant for us in my opinion.

Downing's main strength is his reading of the game. Defenders often get praise because they're flinging themselves into tackles and headers but when you read the game well (and have Butler to do that role to be fair), you don't need to do it. For a young defender to have that understanding of the game is really promising and bodes well for his future.

I have to agree with you on Butler too as his game has improved alot with the ball at his feet. Like you say, he'll never be Beckenbaur, but he has definately improved that side of his game. There doesn't seem to be a man in the squad who isn't improving at the moment. Things is good.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

I completely agree. As good a defender as Smith was, in the purest sense of the word, would he fit into our style of play now, where he'd be required to pass the ball to feet, rather than lumping it into Jon Macken's head?

Better get rid of Butler then.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
kshammer wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Better get rid of Butler then.

I take your point, but having both of your centre halves doing that starts to affect the way the team plays as a whole. As has already been said anyway, Butler has improved massively in the distribution department over the last 9 months or so.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:25 pm

The contrast of Butler and Downing is what makes them work. Smith and Butler was too limited football-wise but then I suppose two Downing-like players would probably miss the Butler-like qualities. Put them together, they both prosper and Walsall FC rule. 8)

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season