Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League One - 17 Aug 2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (H) League One - 17 Aug 2013

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:14 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Chambers or Mantom usually come deep to collect, then there are two full backs close by. The manager needs to just have a word.

I'm sure the manager will be having a word after Saturday, when the reality was, Chambers and Mantom didn't come to collect the ball. County pressed us more rigorously than any other side we've played for a while, which stopped us playing it out from the back. In fact, it was Downing rather than Butler, who got caught out badly at least a couple of times, when he tried to pass the ball out and played us into trouble.

I'm usually reluctant to heap praise on an opposition, but I think Kiwomya did his homework on us very well.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:47 pm

As a general rule, I thought county were toss, but their physicality and organisation was spot on, didn't allow us time on the ball and got right in our faces. That said, their full back was a top player, as was the number 8 on loan from Celtic and Cambell Ryce. Think they'll be in and around the play offs come end of season so could be a point gained

SWS1

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

[quote="ToeJoe Jnr"]A winger in my eyes has one function, beat a man get to the bye line and cross it.
(Isn't that two things? :? )
Anyway, tell that to Colin Taylor. :mrgreen:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 am

Just watched the highlights on Sky and they still insist that Westcarr has scored 3 goals this season :roll:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Neuromantic wrote:
Controversial statement : Andy Butler is severely hampering how we play.

Not controversial, if closed down he does.

However he is the only player we have who can head the thing.

your right in what you both say, as Latvian mentions, we do need him in the team for when we need to show some grit, in an ideal world Butler would be ace at passing and moving, but hes not and we do have to be greatful to the beast for putting in them brave spirited performances that have allowed us to stabalise ourselves and implement this new Walsall way of playing.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:23 am

Butler can hamper us a little at times when we have the ball and are trying to build our passing game but when we ay got it he's crucial.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season