Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One - 10 Aug 2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One - 10 Aug 2013

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:

Featherstone did some very important work winning tackles and keeping possession when we needed it most, and Hewitt, relieved the pressure by winning a couple of corners. It all counts.

Hate to admit it but I agree with MMF. :shock: :D

Also agree about Milan. He has yet to convince me. Lots of running but what chances or danger did he actually create? Flattering to deceive at the moment. just cos he is from Chelsea does not mean he is God

Although I am clueless most of the time I believe Sawyers should start and Milan come on as the impact sub.

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:35 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Walsall Loyal wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:377 Saddlers at Boundary Park today.

Bit disappointed with that hopefully take a few more to brentford

Looked more than that there to me.

And me I'd have said 500+

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:49 am

WarsawPact wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:That's what I always do, but didn't advise it because I thought there was probably going to be a cleverer way. :) So to summarise, it's (a) hit the quote button then (b) click on the quote wherever you want to start editing, and delete what you don't want, and (c) type in your own post - (b) and (c) can be done in either order.

Isn't a summary supposed to be shorter than the original?

;)

Hm-m-m, you have a point. :)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:57 am

Not going to go mention every player but thought J. Chambers was our M.O.M he was immense, which is alittle harsh on all the defence especially Benning who just keeps getting better and better.

Daniel O'Donnell - best game for us regarding commanding the area with catch's or punch's

Mantom need to buck up his ideas or Featherstone (who did great when he came on) will be taking his place soon.

Milan, a frustrating game but I believe he will get better and better for us the more games he plays.

Sawyers, would love to see this kid start a game. Doubted his attitude last season (with his hands on hips etc) but looks a real quality player.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:00 am

Sawyers is quality with the ball at his feet. I can tell he's the kind of player that a lot of fans are going to get on the back of unfortunately if he doesn't score every game as his style seems like he's playing in slow motion, he's a bit of a League 1 Kanu.

It was O'Donnel's best game for us but his kicking was crap.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am

I thought 377 looked about right to be honest, we took 550 there for a 1-1 draw towards the end of the season a couple of years back and it looked much fuller that afternoon. Towards the front and left there were plenty of empty seats and our allocation was only 600 odd. On the topic of Featherstone and co, they did come on and do okay but I just feel it's wrong to give a player a rating on a 10 minute performance. Milan's pace offers us something over the top which was a good 'out' ball under Oldham pressure yesterday, he forced a few dodgy passes and won us throw in's high up the pitch, he does however seem a bit of a one trick pony - in that he gets the ball, gets to the edge of the area, tries a step over and then cuts inside, against some teams he will score goals that way and his goal vs Tranmere was a peach, I reckon he will come good eventually but he's in the Ledesma/Byfield/Gray mould of incredibly frustrating.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 pm

I thought it was heartening to see Anton Rodgers come off the bench for Oldham yesterday.

I was a big fan of Fresh Fields and I thought he looked in excellent shape, despite his death in 2007.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:17 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:

Featherstone did some very important work winning tackles and keeping possession when we needed it most, and Hewitt, relieved the pressure by winning a couple of corners. It all counts.

Hate to admit it but I agree with MMF. :shock: :D

Also agree about Milan. He has yet to convince me. Lots of running but what chances or danger did he actually create? Flattering to deceive at the moment. just cos he is from Chelsea does not mean he is God

Although I am clueless most of the time I believe Sawyers should start and Milan come on as the impact sub.

CLUELESS status temporarily removed.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:41 pm

bangsection wrote:I thought it was heartening to see Anton Rodgers come off the bench for Oldham yesterday.

I was a big fan of Fresh Fields and I thought he looked in excellent shape, despite his death in 2007.

:lol: :lol:

Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Oldham 2 - 3 Walsall

Butler, Westcarr, Sawyers

4119 (377 Saddlers)

UTS C'mon.

377 you say... Do I get a prize for getting that aspect of my prediction spot on?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I think people are underestimating Oldham. They are not the team of last season. It was an impressive, ground out result. What all successful campaigns are made up of.

Have to agree entirely! I'm sure the 'new' Oldham will give any number of teams a good 'whopin' so it was a well ground out three points.
I love the new optimism around, both the team AND the fans, everybody seems sooo happy with the 'sexy footy' that we appear to 'want' to play. Good to see the team come to the fans...so often that was missing last season.
Great to see Belgian again, though I think he may have had a pint (or two) :lol: :lol: . Great noise from all the fans, who drowned out that thoroughly annoying drummer....who really does need it 'shoving'!! :lol:
One happy Saddler indeed...can it last?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:40 pm

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:26 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:I think people are underestimating Oldham. They are not the team of last season. It was an impressive, ground out result. What all successful campaigns are made up of.

Have to agree entirely! I'm sure the 'new' Oldham will give any number of teams a good 'whopin' so it was a well ground out three points.
I love the new optimism around, both the team AND the fans, everybody seems sooo happy with the 'sexy footy' that we appear to 'want' to play. Good to see the team come to the fans...so often that was missing last season.
Great to see Belgian again, though I think he may have had a pint (or two) :lol: :lol: . Great noise from all the fans, who drowned out that thoroughly annoying drummer....who really does need it 'shoving'!! :lol:
One happy Saddler indeed...can it last?

That's about all he would have had, he was driving. Trust me when Belge has had a "few" you will be left in no doubt about it :lol:

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season