Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One - 10 Aug 2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One - 10 Aug 2013

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Well, if you can't shex teams to death every week you'd better be able to know how to defend a one goal lead and that's exactly what we did today. We were the better team in the first half and Baxo's goal was the move of the match. Adam Chambers played in his brother overlapping on the right and for the second league game in a row he claimed an assist with a cracking low ball in to the box that Baxendale smashed past the keeper with his right foot. Great finish.

In the second half Oldham had a really good go - they're transformed under Johnson and will do alright this season on this evidence. A few good saves from O'Donnell and some brilliant last ditch defending kept the Latics out and we seemed content to hit on the break. However, Lalkovic and Westcarr became increasingly isolated and unable to link the play and it was only with the introduction of Sawyers that we threatened - the big lad shooting straight at the keeper with our best (and only) chance of the second half.

So, a Smith-esque first half and a Graydon-esque second. Slightly fortunate to take all three points (lot of penalty box pinball after the break) but we displayed a real resilience today that has to be a positive sign in a division with a lot of good sides.

MOTM: James Chambers

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:32 pm

For me Downing was MOTM looked composed at the back , couldn't have been two nil when Sawyers was clean through but he shot tame straight at the keeper , Oldham didn't really look like scoring for me . That bloody drummer was annoying !!!!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Great game defensively for us, a much needed clean sheet and overall defensive performance. Wasn't as the races today offensively, but still got the job done, great win. Personally I would give MOTM to Benning, looked silky and composed on the left. James Chambers, Downing and Butler were the other contenders.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:35 pm

The Gradyon-esque second half comment is bang on, in fact we defended far to deep in the end, very similar to what Graydon's teams used to do, but.. it was fantastic. Players throwing themselves in front of the ball for the love of the team. We'll take some beating this season I think. Another peach of a goal too !

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm

We tend to focus on our attacking flair but I do believe we (myself included) often underestimate the value and ability of our back four. J. Chambers, Butler, Downing and Taylor, closely followed by Benning, are as good a back four as you'll get at this standard - first class!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Love this team. Really do.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Bax to the max...Get in lad.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Well for all the attacking threat talked up by both sides that was a fairly drab, even football match.

A very good 3 points for us, but what pleased me most about today was that we displayed fight and organisation when it was required and used our footballing ability to win the match. Under Smith we've developed this pleasing ability to either be able to pass and attack teams enough to win a game or score a goal and then dig in, be organised and work really hard for the win - today we really showed both elements of our game to win the match. The only and deciding goal was the best bit of football in the 90 minutes with Adam Chambers moving the ball out wide to his over-lapping brother James, who squared the ball to Baxendale and he arrowed a nice half volley in the corner of the goal from the edge of the area. Thereafter we really dug in during the second half as Oldham upped their game after a pretty poor first half.

Oldham huffed and puffed a lot in possession in the second half but ultimately couldn't really force any kind of goalscoring opportunity. O'Donnell punched and caught well, whilst Butler and Downing literally headed everything that came there way. Home side may feel like they deserved something from the game, but we dug deep and looked just slightly more dangerous with the possession we did have.

Any of the back 5 could have won MOTM, but James Chambers stood out slightly more than the rest, a very good performance from him.

Good atmosphere in the away end again, felt around 400 of us which isn't great but we are normally quite loud when the regulars sit in a group together.

3 wins in the opening week of the season, 3 very different performances and goals from Lalkovic, Westcarr and Baxendale. Whilst Tranmere, Port Vale and Oldham aren't exactly expected to pull up trees this season if we continue to beat the teams around us that aren't tipped to do well we should at least be sat nice and safe in mid table. There will be tougher tests to come but this represents a very solid opening week indeed.

Onwards and Upwards - UTS.

O'Donnell 7 - Solid today, a few wayward kicks and one moment that cost us a corner in the first half. Came off his line and collected very well and made 1 nice save.

James Chambers 9 - Just about my MOTM. Dealt with a tricky rapid winger in the second half well and overlapped at times, another assist too.
Andy Butler 9 - Man mountain, didn't miss a header all afternoon. Already a legend in my mind.
Paul Downing 9 - See above, a fantastic display - next cab off the rank.
Mal Benning 8 - A very good performance, again he occasionally gets caught the wrong side of a winger though and he did again today. Better opposition will punish.

Sam Mantom 7 - Worked very hard but I wasn't impressed with him on the ball. Both he and Chambers had the ball caught under their feet a few times during the game.
Adam Chambers 7 - Not as his best in all honesty. Worked very hard and got a foot in but did nothing on the ball and nearly cost us 2-3 times getting caught with it under his feet. Not quite fully fit after a half and half pre-season perhaps?

James Baxendale 8 - Lovely finish for the goal and even though I don't see him as a winger his classy link up play is brillant.
Craig Westcarr 6 - Isolated on the day and looked in a hissy fit when he came off. Chucked his water bottle down as he sat with the subs and had words with Smith.
Ashley Hemmings 7 - Played very well in the first half but faded in the second and over elaborated at times which cost us possession. Looks a different player though and the fans have reacted to him like he has to us. Second chances can happen in football it seems!

Milan Lalkovic 6 - A frustrating afternoon for him. Whilst his pace was effective in helping us get up the pitch and win throw in's from the long ball over the top, nothing stuck, he didn't create anything or look like scoring. He's going to be one of them I think.

SUBS

Nicky Featherstone - N/A didn't really have time to do anything.

Romaine Sawyers 7 - Some lovely link up play again, I can't see I've seen a player like him before. He's pretty slow and almost lumbering for a young lad BUT his link up play and touch skill is fantastic, seems to be physically stronger than he looks. I like him.

Troy Hewitt - N/A see Featherstone.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 pm

So I get onto the BBC site.
I want to sit and stare at the League 1 table for a quarter of an hour or so while I drink my hot chocolate and luxuriate in the position my home town beloved club is in.
And what happens?
The donalding site brings up every division except ours!
Donalding Barclays bankers!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Whitters wrote:So I get onto the BBC site.
I want to sit and stare at the League 1 table for a quarter of an hour or so while I drink my hot chocolate and luxuriate in the position my home town beloved club is in.
And what happens?

There you go... half way down the page.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/competitions/leagueone

Luxuriate... breath it in.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:37 pm

I thought Dean Smith's comments were quite encouraging...not at our best but there's better to come. He sounded measured and believable.

And what happens?

I wrote to the BBC about their footy website last year. It's awful but the BBC are clearly not interested in making it more user friendly. Arrogant people. It seems to have been built by techies rather than anyone that would use it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Sadders wrote:Well for all the attacking threat talked up by both sides that was a fairly drab, even football match.

A very good 3 points for us, but what pleased me most about today was that we displayed fight and organisation when it was required and used our footballing ability to win the match. Under Smith we've developed this pleasing ability to either be able to pass and attack teams enough to win a game or score a goal and then dig in, be organised and work really hard for the win - today we really showed both elements of our game to win the match. The only and deciding goal was the best bit of football in the 90 minutes with Adam Chambers moving the ball out wide to his over-lapping brother James, who squared the ball to Baxendale and he arrowed a nice half volley in the corner of the goal from the edge of the area. Thereafter we really dug in during the second half as Oldham upped their game after a pretty poor first half.

Oldham huffed and puffed a lot in possession in the second half but ultimately couldn't really force any kind of goalscoring opportunity. O'Donnell punched and caught well, whilst Butler and Downing literally headed everything that came there way. Home side may feel like they deserved something from the game, but we dug deep and looked just slightly more dangerous with the possession we did have.

Any of the back 5 could have won MOTM, but James Chambers stood out slightly more than the rest, a very good performance from him.

Good atmosphere in the away end again, felt around 400 of us which isn't great but we are normally quite loud when the regulars sit in a group together.

3 wins in the opening week of the season, 3 very different performances and goals from Lalkovic, Westcarr and Baxendale. Whilst Tranmere, Port Vale and Oldham aren't exactly expected to pull up trees this season if we continue to beat the teams around us that aren't tipped to do well we should at least be sat nice and safe in mid table. There will be tougher tests to come but this represents a very solid opening week indeed.

Onwards and Upwards - UTS.

O'Donnell 7 - Solid today, a few wayward kicks and one moment that cost us a corner in the first half. Came off his line and collected very well and made 1 nice save.

James Chambers 9 - Just about my MOTM. Dealt with a tricky rapid winger in the second half well and overlapped at times, another assist too.
Andy Butler 9 - Man mountain, didn't miss a header all afternoon. Already a legend in my mind.
Paul Downing 9 - See above, a fantastic display - next cab off the rank.
Mal Benning 8 - A very good performance, again he occasionally gets caught the wrong side of a winger though and he did again today. Better opposition will punish.

Sam Mantom 7 - Worked very hard but I wasn't impressed with him on the ball. Both he and Chambers had the ball caught under their feet a few times during the game.
Adam Chambers 7 - Not as his best in all honesty. Worked very hard and got a foot in but did nothing on the ball and nearly cost us 2-3 times getting caught with it under his feet. Not quite fully fit after a half and half pre-season perhaps?

James Baxendale 8 - Lovely finish for the goal and even though I don't see him as a winger his classy link up play is brillant.
Craig Westcarr 6 - Isolated on the day and looked in a hissy fit when he came off. Chucked his water bottle down as he sat with the subs and had words with Smith.
Ashley Hemmings 7 - Played very well in the first half but faded in the second and over elaborated at times which cost us possession. Looks a different player though and the fans have reacted to him like he has to us. Second chances can happen in football it seems!

Milan Lalkovic 6 - A frustrating afternoon for him. Whilst his pace was effective in helping us get up the pitch and win throw in's from the long ball over the top, nothing stuck, he didn't create anything or look like scoring. He's going to be one of them I think.

SUBS

Nicky Featherstone - N/A didn't really have time to do anything.

Romaine Sawyers 7 - Some lovely link up play again, I can't see I've seen a player like him before. He's pretty slow and almost lumbering for a young lad BUT his link up play and touch skill is fantastic, seems to be physically stronger than he looks. I like him.

Troy Hewitt - N/A see Featherstone.

Featherstone did some very important work winning tackles and keeping possession when we needed it most, and Hewitt, relieved the pressure by winning a couple of corners. It all counts.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 pm

And what happens?

Worked for me! No problems

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Not that your nit picking there MMF...but it's not a huge sample size in relation to the other players on the pitch. If I give Westcarr a 6 and then Featherstone an 8 because he made 2 tackles in his 5 minutes on the pitch then It would look entirely foolish.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Sadders wrote:Not that your nit picking there MMF...but it's not a huge sample size in relation to the other players on the pitch. If I give Westcarr a 6 and then Featherstone an 8 because he made 2 tackles in his 5 minutes on the pitch then It would look entirely foolish.

Just pointing out that people miss a lot of what goes on.

Like people raving about Lalkovic who constantly loses possession or is offside. Sawyers should have started today after his performance at Vale.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:01 pm

It was far from pretty and it was one of our weaker performances of the past season but I feel that shows more of how we have played these past few months rather then us being bad really.
They pressed us without causing too many problems other then quite routine saves and crosses that were managed and Defence looked generally solid and O'Donnel mostly had pretty routine saves nothing I can remember that seemed to have him majorly struggling though I still feel he could be stronger on set pieces personally.

I think today showed our potential as we took our moment and really showed how to grind out a result and at this level sometimes that's all you can ask for as quite frankly we can't expect to smash every team.

My only major concern was the lack of shots it seemed more like we were happy to pass around the box over and over think we need a player to take the intiative sometimes else it just falls apart, Milan getting in on goal and deciding to do fancy stepovers pulling himself wide looking for a pass was a perfect example and Sawyers did similiar on the edge of the box, however I like the confidence we have in the team as all the players trust that the next player will of moved into the space as a lot of our players did some nice little flick ons today.

O'Donnell 8 - kept clean sheet didn't seem to struggle much though think he does still look a bit nervy on set pieces think that is what we should work on.

James Chambers 9 - Got the assist and he handled the speedy winger on his side expertley and seemed keen to get the ball short and play our way.
Andy Butler 9 - Got every ball in the air and did well on a few attacking corners he kept the bigger players quiet which we needed.
Paul Downing 8 - Did well only reason he got less then butler was he got caught out a bit more in the air but he made up for it using his body to muscle off attackers..
Mal Benning 8 - good performance

Sam Mantom 6.5- Quieter game seemed to fall over the ball a few times and played a few sloppy passes but think this is because for periods late in the 1st half our CM partnership seemed to dissapear.
Adam Chambers 7 - Not his best game but not his worst got stuck in but put a few sloppy passes around like mantom but seemed to sort his head and improved for 2nd half.

James Baxendale 8 - Beautiful goal and he ran his socks off did well beating the defenders putting pressure on them with some classy touches... still not sure on wether his a winger he looks better when he cuts in. (nice to see him come see a kid in the stand at the end and the team bowing down to him)
Craig Westcarr 6.5 - He played a few decent balls but was far from his best looked slower today and seemed intent to get himself booked for standing over free kicks, sulking at the ref over fouls and walking off slow, noticed him having some words with smith after dunno what about though.
Ashley Hemmings 7.5 - He had an ok game over complicated some things but he like paterson is learning and knows a trick or two which the league 1 levek if defenders dont seme to like which can draw fouls for free kicks.

Milan Lalkovic 6.5 - Didn't do much he squandered his one good chance opting when through on goal to go wide and do step overs hoping someone else would come for him to pass to. He got us some throw ins closing down with his pace but had a quiet afternoon.

SUBS

Nicky Featherstone - no chance to judge

Romaine Sawyers 7 - He has a fantastic touch and strength my only concern with him is he doesn't have much pace and so doesn't often run with it and will pick an easy pass which doesn't always progress the move.

Troy Hewitt - Not given long enough to judge.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I think people are underestimating Oldham. They are not the team of last season. It was an impressive, ground out result. What all successful campaigns are made up of.

SWS1

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm

"My only major concern was the lack of shots it seemed more like we were happy to pass around the box over and over think we need a player to take the intiative sometimes else it just falls apart" Quote SaddlerCraig

I'm sure this was the case (our reporters don't lie :mrgreen: ) BUT I remember, especially during our winless run, that we often outshot teams on shot count but then drew or lost. This year we seem that bit more clinical (so far) and, if that's the case, I'll take deadly finishing over peppering the goal any day. I love what people (not just UTSers!!) say about our football, but I really get a buzz from us WINNING (strange and unreasonable, I know, but it's true). And, of course, all the pundits say if you're gonna succeed over the season, sometimes you gotta win ugly. As long as it is sometimes :mrgreen: Rest of the time, let's win pretty! :D

Oh, and keep behind the lads (and management) when we, inevitably, hit a sticky patch :mrgreen:
UTS! :D

SWS1

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:28 pm

PS Can someone tell me how to "quote" just part of a poster's post???
Ta. :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Great win, happy with that result!

SWS1 wrote:PS Can someone tell me how to "quote" just part of a poster's post???

Quote the lot and delete what you don't need. :wink:

If on proper computer copy what you want and add your own quote marks.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Exile wrote:Great win, happy with that result!

SWS1 wrote:PS Can someone tell me how to "quote" just part of a poster's post???

Hey, it works!!!!!!! Thanks, I've often pondered how that could be done. Too easy when you stop to think...... :oops:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:37 pm

377 Saddlers at Boundary Park today.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 am

Great win today. We played some excellent football at times. We failed to kill the game off so Oldham applied the pressure in the 2nd half but our defending was really solid. I was really impressed by James Chambers, Baxendale and Benning today. In fact I think its the best I've seen Benning pay for us.

Overall I'm really positive, I don't think we played anywhere near our best but were easily better than Oldham. UTS!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:00 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Great win, happy with that result!

Hey, it works!!!!!!! Thanks, I've often pondered how that could be done. Too easy when you stop to think...... :oops:

That's what I always do, but didn't advise it because I thought there was probably going to be a cleverer way. :) So to summarise, it's (a) hit the quote button then (b) click on the quote wherever you want to start editing, and delete what you don't want, and (c) type in your own post - (b) and (c) can be done in either order.

Great win yesterday, I expected a point at best after Oldham's good start over Stevenage the previous week. Much to be happy with at this stage, long may it continue.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:05 am

Would has been more than happy with a draw today as expected Oldham to create a lot but we dealt with everything well. Love a solid 1-0 away from home it's these results that give you that chance of the "p" word !! :wink:
Up the Saddlers forever

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 am

Oh and can't stop singing baaaxendale baaaxendale all around the house it's driving the wife mad :lol:

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:29 am

BathSaddler wrote:377 Saddlers at Boundary Park today.

Bit disappointed with that hopefully take a few more to brentford

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:30 am

geoffwhiting wrote:That's what I always do, but didn't advise it because I thought there was probably going to be a cleverer way. :) So to summarise, it's (a) hit the quote button then (b) click on the quote wherever you want to start editing, and delete what you don't want, and (c) type in your own post - (b) and (c) can be done in either order.

Isn't a summary supposed to be shorter than the original?

;)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:31 am

Walsall Loyal wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:377 Saddlers at Boundary Park today.

Bit disappointed with that hopefully take a few more to brentford

Looked more than that there to me.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Sadders wrote:

Featherstone did some very important work winning tackles and keeping possession when we needed it most, and Hewitt, relieved the pressure by winning a couple of corners. It all counts.

Hate to admit it but I agree with MMF. :shock: :D

Also agree about Milan. He has yet to convince me. Lots of running but what chances or danger did he actually create? Flattering to deceive at the moment. just cos he is from Chelsea does not mean he is God

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season