Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (A) League Cup R1 - Tuesday 06/08/2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Sadders
UTS Legend

Re: Port Vale (A) League Cup R1 - Tuesday 06/08/2013

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Mixed reviews, but quite a lot of good stuff about the way we play.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showt ... elf/page17

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Was a great game, just got back. We really wasn't at our best, but we still dominated them at times, particularity when we brought Sawyers on who I feel didn't but a touch wrong. Everyone was solid, and I was very confident we could see them out. The goal did come from a Adam Chambers shot, with Hemmings tapping it in; if I remember correctly as it was on the other side of the pitch. James Chambers whipped it in, Adam beat his man and headed it against the bar, it fell to Hemmings who scored instead.

Baxendale's goal... my fudge god. I EXPLODED out of my seat when it went in, even my 50 year old dad who moans all day about bone and muscle aches jumped out of his seat. What a fudge goal, and the celebrations and how the entire team came to us was just immense. Can't comment on the Vale peno shout as I didn't see it, and Lee Hughes was his typical self, egging us on and trying to act the big man.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:just got back from the match

wasnt the prettiest of matches and we certainly didnt play to our best but the result is what matters
we started a bit slowly and allowed vale to get on the ball easily.
vale were very good at direct passing but not long ball they had some accuracy with their long passing especially out on the wings
you could see that the threat from vale was going to come from crosses in for them to test our goalie.
we took the lead just before the break against the run of play i couldnt see who it was from our end or how it was scored but still celebrated it like it was a scorcher/!
we came out 2nd half and again let vale play the football
dont get me wrong theyre no real madrid but deserved to equalise and guess what ---- came from a long cross from the wing for some tall bloke to header it in past the helpless keeper.
just as the game was starting to ebb away we bought on sawyers for that chelsea lad whos name i cant spell and he made an immediate impact as everything went through him
the passing got slicker the play was more in their box and we create some good half chances
just as it was looking like another 30 mins bexendale cut into the box and unleashed an unstoppable curler past their goalie
lovely well worked goal and won us a game that we barely deserved to but ill take it
2 wins a cup run and were scoring goals onwards and upwards

Barely deserved to win? Really? You're right we weren't at our best, but I can't agree with that.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Oh and for Port Vale, they are a half decent side who will stay up and be mid table this season. But their support was shocking, and their style of football will have little success against most teams in this division. They were not as long ball happy as Tranmere was, if they were we would of won by a bigger margin. Instead their threat came from crosses, free kicks and corners where the ball is whipped into their two big centre forwards, which again, we have faced their like a lot over the past couple seasons and are pretty experienced with dealing with them. If they get the ball on the ground a little more, they will do much better. The only times I thought they were dangerous was from corners, in open play I was not worried whatsoever as their wingers were not the greatest and their only game plan was the hurl the ball into the six yard box from those poor wingers.

First time to Port Vale away too, and Burslem is a shockingly disgusting place. :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Exile wrote:Happy with that. look forward to reading a report from someone so I can stick it on the front page. :D

I'll do it for you, even after 11 pints of cider and I think some lager sometime today.

We weren't great, but always the better side. No idea who even scored the first cos I was in the bar. Lee Hughes is a waste of space. They scored a ridiculous equaliser, we were poor but still always the better side. Romaine Sawyers came on and played a bit like a young Kanu, excellent. Baxendale scored as good a goal as you are ever likely to see.

I went mad despite chronic heart burn. I've still got the heart burn, and am still very drunk, but my conclusion is we will be a tough side to beat this season.

Had some great news yesterday, and some just as good tonight, life is good, and so are Walsall F.C

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Match report. That goal was better than sex. The end

Locky
Glitterati

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Just loved, loved, loved Baxo's goal. Gave me a real nostalgia trip as it just seemed to be the sort of thing I saw Ned do on many occassions.

Baxo cuts inside, goes past one, skips past another like he's not there and curls it majestically with pace into the far corner.

Totally agree that goal was better than sex.
Last edited by Locky on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Superb result topped by a brilliant goal by Baxendale in a game that we didn't really get going with any great consistency. That said, Port Vale will do well to finish above mid table, usual fourth division promotion mix of a couple of logs up front, two in the middle and three at the back all vying with each other to lump the ball in the box as quickly as possible. A sort of poor man's Ronnie Moore team without the Ronnie and lacking the Moore.

Thought James Chambers played well tonight and Benning was poor, he is obviously very gifted technically but still lacks experience with some basic defending skills, poor at tackling and a bit lax when it comes to closing down his man, their winger had a lot of success particularly in the first half when he beat him with some ease to get some dangerous crosses in.

Great substitute performance by Sawyers, looked a very good player, had time on the ball and most of our play went through him in the last ten minutes. One last thing which is of further encouragement, a great team spirit, which was obvious throughout and at the end of the game.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Another very decent result whilst not playing at our best it has to be said. Definitely Hemmings for the first goal, and no doubt about the 2nd - it was an absolute beauty from Baxendale, super celebrations aswell. Special mention to Romaine Sawyers who had a superb 24 minutes - i'd still keep him as an impact sub though as players wont be able to cope with his pace and movement 60-70 minutes into a match. Great result, great atmosphere - onto Oldham! :D

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Cully wrote:a great team spirit, which was obvious throughout and at the end of the game.

Spot on and that can be worth a few points in itself - they seem a very close group, similar to last season and long may it continue.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Agree Sawyers was fantastic when he came on, looked real class. Hemmings looks like a different player to the one who played last season. And not sure if I mentioned it but THAT goal was better than sex :D BAXENDALE-BAXENDALE

Nice to beat an old foe again. Great night, we won, Baxo scored goal of the season, Dingles lost despite no doubt taking 23,429 to the match but to top the lot I got to almost fist FBIG, next time Gary next time :D

Not sure how many Saddlers went, difficult to judge as we were spread out in that away end but it was a lot more than I expected. Great turn out, loud, boisterous and for the most part drunk. It's the Walsall way :D

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Not sure how many Saddlers went, difficult to judge as we were spread out in that away end but it was a lot more than I expected. Great turn out, loud, boisterous and for the most part drunk. It's the Walsall way :D

546 mate - very decent turnout

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Sadders wrote:Mixed reviews, but quite a lot of good stuff about the way we play.

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showt ... elf/page17

A reasonably intelligent forum, but I had to loff at one comment excusing their loss...."Walsall have had the time and money to build their team" :lol:

Money??? Money????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 am

DYSaddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Not sure how many Saddlers went, difficult to judge as we were spread out in that away end but it was a lot more than I expected. Great turn out, loud, boisterous and for the most part drunk. It's the Walsall way :D

Thought it was more than that but difficult to estimate in that huge end. Like you say a good turn out though. what was the crowd? 4000 odd?

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:37 am

Well done the lads!
Didn't expect to get past Vale to tell the truth.

Shame Wolves are out as it would have been good to get the money from another game with them....

PT
Site Addict

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 am

Always good to win at Vale and it's been a bloody long time since I saw us win there.

Was a good, tight game. Could have gone either way. Just that one bit of class was good enough and deserved to be good enough.

Memories of Gary Childs at home to Shrewsbury.

Here we go, here we go, here we go.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 am

Bostin'.

North-East/Yorkshire away will do me, ta very much.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:26 am

Very satisfying.

Vale look decent enough - strong and lively - so a proper test of the team's resolve, especially as we were under the kosh for periods of the game.

We saw better possession when Westcarr went up front with Sawyers in the hole, and as a tactical switch it was an excellent decision by Smith.

Baxendale's goal was exquisite.

Great noise from the away following, and excellent to see the players so appreciative at the final whistle. There's a feel good running through the club at the moment. Long may it continue.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 am

Lookin at the Vale forum, they aint half moaning about the ref, didn't at one moment think we got away with any decisions!! couldn't see their penalty shout as to far away but other then that was hardly ay decisons to make let alone get wrong

P.S Lee Hughes is knobber

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 am

Im not gay, but i am for Baxendale.

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:36 am

Can't see how there has been doubt over the first goalscorer, Hemmings did a somersault in celebration! :lol:

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

Thought it was more than that but difficult to estimate in that huge end. Like you say a good turn out though. what was the crowd? 4000 odd?

4,013 I think.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:22 am

We didn't play well last night, but as they say, the sign of a good team is when you win playing badly. We didn't play our game until Sawyers came on. He was my MOTM as he was fantastic and turned the game our way. The amount of space he found in the gap between defence and midfield was ridiculous. Everything started to go through him and this was when we started to look more dangerous.

We battled well and came out with a victory in a game that looked destined for a draw so credit to the team. Have to say that the team spirit looks superb and every player came over to applaud the fans at the end which was nice to see.

And yes, that goal from Bax was orgasmic!

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 am

Anybody know where I can see the Baxendale goal?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:51 am

There's a League Cup show at 1135 on BBC1.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:We didn't play well last night, but as they say, the sign of a good team is when you win playing badly. We didn't play our game until Sawyers came on. He was my MOTM as he was fantastic and turned the game our way. The amount of space he found in the gap between defence and midfield was ridiculous. Everything started to go through him and this was when we started to look more dangerous.

We battled well and came out with a victory in a game that looked destined for a draw so credit to the team. Have to say that the team spirit looks superb and every player came over to applaud the fans at the end which was nice to see.

And yes, that goal from Bax was orgasmic!

What is a bad team winning when playing badly a sign of?

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:35 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
What is a bad team winning when playing badly a sign of?

Things to come...............ie a good team playing well , and losing :D .

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:24 pm

First chance I've had to post since last night on what was an excellent cup tie. I'm sure to our players it felt like a home game with the backing they had. First half we didn't really get out of the blocks. Bar the goal and a Westcarr chance, we rarely looked like threatening. Fair play to Vale, they stamped their style of play on the game. Butler and Downing had to deal with a bit of a bombardment but they handled Pope really well.

We started the second half brightly and their goal came as a bit of a sucker punch. It was always going to be a set piece that undone and it proved to be the case. The jury is still out a little bit with regards to O'Donnell. He's a good shot stopper and at times his distribution Premier League class. I just wish he would be a bit more commanding when dealing with corners and crosses.

Once the game opend up, and Sawyers was introduced, it really did become a classic cup tie. We also seemed to get better when Baxendale saw more of the ball. Can't comment on the penalty appeal, but the way we broke and the finish from Baxo was something special. Great to see us hang on at the end too.

Special mention to Butler and Downing for dealing with everything thrown at them. Particularly Downing, who I remember being given a torrid time on his debut by Pope. Hemmings again looked a revelation, Westcarr was excellent in the hole, but we looked more threatening with him as the main man, and Sawyers, who really did change the game.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Excellent summary, saddler_nic.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Unfortunately I didn't go to the game last night but reading the match reports makes me immensely proud!

Delighted to hear so many positives, in particular Sawyers contribution. I said during the summer I felt he'd be an excellent addition. He could prove to be a big player for us this season.

Fair play to those who made the trip, give yourselves a big pat on the back.

The lads deserve our support and knowing fellow Saddlers as I do I'm sure they'll get plenty in return.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season