Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:There was some actual coaching before the game with the keepers. Ive never seen that :lol:

It's something I've said during pre-season I think the appointment of Cutler is a fantastic one. He works his keepers hard, provides exceptional service and is always talking to O'Donnell (or whoever has been in goal during pre-season) throughout the game. His coaching philosophy and approach compared to Mick Kearns is like comparing Champions league to Conference to be quite frank. Long may it continue and hopefully in seasons to come we may be able to produce our own no 1 keeper.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:38 pm

976 Tranmere fans in a crowd of 4788 making 3,812 saddlers at the game. I think this is a decent figure as it's holiday season and expect to see our home contingent rise above 4,000 especially if we continue to play decent football and put in good performances. That along with strong travelling figures could see us average over 5,000 this season at home.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:42 pm

swiftbob wrote:Hemmings, I hold my hands up he was awesome didn't think he had it in him

He has always had it in him, he showed that at the start of last season but got complaicent and sulked when he was warming the bench every week. The difference is last season he was resting on the fact that he had got another year on his contract, whereas this season he is virtually playing for his career. That coupled with the fact he will have seen what Paterson has achieved for himself should have increased his motivational levels - expect a big season from Hemmings and could see him as a first team regular.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 pm

DYSaddler wrote:976 Tranmere fans in a crowd of 4788 making 3,812 saddlers at the game. I think this is a decent figure as it's holiday season and expect to see our home contingent rise above 4,000 especially if we continue to play decent football and put in good performances. That along with strong travelling figures could see us average over 5,000 this season at home.

I wanted to see if Wolves fans were calling for Jackett's head yet so read their report on the E&S site.
They claim to have taken 5,000 to Preston.
Big clubb ay they?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Hemmings really impressed me today and i'm his biggest critic, long may this form continue

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Whitters wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:976 Tranmere fans in a crowd of 4788 making 3,812 saddlers at the game. I think this is a decent figure as it's holiday season and expect to see our home contingent rise above 4,000 especially if we continue to play decent football and put in good performances. That along with strong travelling figures could see us average over 5,000 this season at home.

I wanted to see if Wolves fans were calling for Jackett's head yet so read their report on the E&S site.
They claim to have taken 5,000 to Preston.
Big clubb ay they?

That's all they have been going on about all week - let's see if there taking that many away when there languishing in mid-table. :mrgreen:

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:55 pm

What I liked about todays performance, in particularly in the first half, was the interchanging between Lalkovic & Westcarr. I think someone else picked up on this earlier on in the thread. The way they kept swapping between main striker and free role certainly caused the defenders to struggle to pick them up.

Also, bit of good tactics from Deano to switch Lalkovic to the wing when their defence was tiring. It kept Tranmere on the back foot and allowed us to see out the game with ease. I think their fullback's head is still spinning! :mrgreen:

As for Hemmings, I was suprised to see him start today but my lord it was a great decision by Deano. He was on fire! Hopefully he can continue this form.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:56 pm

IHTC. wrote:Hemmings really impressed me today and i'm his biggest critic, long may this form continue

Agreed - I felt he let himself down last season to a degree but he has come back a different player and looks to want to prove a point. His performance today has gone someway to achieving that. If he can maintain today's level of performance up until christmas then it will really give Deano food for thought when the time comes to re-new/offer contracts.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 pm

tinned wrote:1 - 1 Lalkovic 4,780 (501 plastic scally's).

only 8 off getting the attendance spot on
Evo to smell samosa's being served in the wedding reception and he scales the wall (Milk Tray man stylee), prises open a window, storms in and liberates said Indian snacks.

Cuzo24
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 pm

personally i dont know where most of the attandance figures come from. may be just me but there seemed more wfc fans there today .this has happened quite a few times :?

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Top stuff today. Keeping things in perspective Tranmere are average at best.

Thought the stewards were a bit harsh, kicking the bloke out sat next to me, for celebrating our third goal. Quality enhancement of the overall paying customer experience.

Tex Ritter

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Hemmings stepped up today. A great performance from him. Mantom a little bit shaky with his distribution at times . Benning made some great touches will certainly improve, one to watch. Westcarr has obviously worked on his fitness and looks like a different player. All the players from last season seem to have moved up a gear. Onwards and upwards !

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:01 am

Cuzo24 wrote:personally i dont know where most of the attandance figures come from. may be just me but there seemed more wfc fans there today .this has happened quite a few times :?

I don't agree. The top tier was empty remember. It was more crowded in the bottom tier, compared to usual, if that's where you usually sit.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:38 am

swiftbob wrote:So good that when we have to knock it long It feels wrong, also 9 of the starting 11 players were here last year just the keeper and Milan new arrivals from last season, impressive considering players we lost, Hemmings, I hold my hands up he was awesome didn't think he had it in him

Apparantly, I'd always told everyone he was Premiership class (copy wright Philthesaddler - even though I didn't!)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:17 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
swiftbob wrote:So good that when we have to knock it long It feels wrong, also 9 of the starting 11 players were here last year just the keeper and Milan new arrivals from last season, impressive considering players we lost, Hemmings, I hold my hands up he was awesome didn't think he had it in him

Apparantly, I'd always told everyone he was Premiership class (copy wright Philthesaddler - even though I didn't!)

Any excuse for him to write something negative. Sort of bloke that tells school kids Santa isn't real.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:13 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
tinned wrote:Firstly, if I had to sit downstairs every game I'd hand my season ticket back. No donald view of the spaces and distances.

Good performance. Their goal was never a free kick.

How could you tell with such a poor view ? :lol:

You can't see from the bar!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 am

Salop Saddler wrote:Top stuff today. Keeping things in perspective Tranmere are average at best.

I'm not sure that's the case - and we won't know for a few months whether they're a good, bad, or bang average league one side.

Let's not forget, 12 months ago, we'd just been well beaten by Doncaster at home. Yet by the end of the season, we were probably the best side in the league, hampered by the 16 match winless run.

With the players and manager they have, I expect Tranmere to be mid-table for most of the season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 am

We beat what was put in front of us. I didn't expect that with my prediction, and I am exceedingly pleased with the reports I read here.

Well done the lads!

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
tinned wrote:Firstly, if I had to sit downstairs every game I'd hand my season ticket back. No donald view of the spaces and distances.

Good performance. Their goal was never a free kick.

How could you tell with such a poor view ? :lol:

I was on the 2nd row, right in that corner.

It was a cack view but I still saw more than that fudge useless ref.

Hairy Saddlebags
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:20 am

Brief clip of the goals

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzRq6hmbjeU[/youtube]

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:29 am

DYSaddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Hemmings really impressed me today and i'm his biggest critic, long may this form continue

Agreed - I felt he let himself down last season to a degree but he has come back a different player and looks to want to prove a point. His performance today has gone someway to achieving that. If he can maintain today's level of performance up until christmas then it will really give Deano food for thought when the time comes to re-new/offer contracts.

Great motivation from Smith towards Hemmings.
In one week he's said “We are looking in wide areas,” for new players, then he gives Baxendale a 3 year contract.
Then Hemmings delivers his best performance for the Saddlers.

Let's hope he can replace Paterson.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Can't be anything but impressed with the lads performance . Went a bit off the boil second half as Ronnie Moore had obviously got stuck into his players at half time but we stuck to the task and regained control which is very pleasing. To then go on to kill them off with a third is a habit we need to maintain. Really good atmosphere too
Onwards and upwards

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Enniskillen wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

In one week he's said “We are looking in wide areas,” for new players, then he gives Baxendale a 3 year contract.

He showed signs towards the end of last season that he could be an asset, it took that long to get over all the abuse he personally took for poor team performances early in the season.

I'm sure Smith will have mentioned that this season is a chance for him to show the dingles what they missed out on when they released him, as they're playing at the same level now.

DawleyDick

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I loved the game today. The weather was great, the crowd was great and the team were great. It may have been mentioned before but why was the upper tier of the Tile Choice stand closed today? Was it because of the wedding or was there some other reason?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Enniskillen wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

He showed signs towards the end of last season that he could be an asset, it took that long to get over all the abuse he personally took for poor team performances early in the season.

I'm sure Smith will have mentioned that this season is a chance for him to show the dingles what they missed out on when they released him, as they're playing at the same level now.

There was never any doubt he had ability, but saying he took abuse for poor team performance isn't right in my opinion. The abuse started at Lincoln, because he literally didn't want to be there, it couldn't have been anymore obvious if he had it announced on the tannoy, and had it printed on the back of his shirt. The rest of the team were gash too, but at least they at least pretended they were bothered. There was a 50/50 ball, and he turned his back on it completely. That is when he got abuse, and rightly so too, even if it was over the top.

He either wants to be a footballer, or he doesn't, maybe seeing what has happened to Bowerman who showed a similar attitude has made him realise, and also seeing someone with as limited skill as Grigg has putting in the effort does reap some rewards may have helped too. No sympathy for him though, he bought it on himself, it's up to him to change it, and he seems to be doing just that.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:43 pm

There is a very distinct atmosphere down the 'Fortress' these days...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

latviancheese wrote:There is a very distinct atmosphere down the 'Fortress' these days...

Especially when Dancing Kev walks past :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Just got back from the big smoke to read some positive reports (phone bost yesterday afternoon so couldn't keep up with things).

Thanks to Hairsaddlebags for the goals clip. Three decent finishes.

My match report as follows. Iron Maiden were fudge incredible last night :D

Bostin weekend overall.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:50 pm

DawleyDick wrote:I loved the game today. The weather was great, the crowd was great and the team were great. It may have been mentioned before but why was the upper tier of the Tile Choice stand closed today? Was it because of the wedding or was there some other reason?

What wedding?

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Immense result... This season has the winning feeling all over it. Perfection next week, we win (again) they lose.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season