Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 pm

IHTC. wrote:Westcarr hopeless

Who needs the goals from Grigg and Paterson when you've got Westcarr...?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:38 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:
IHTC. wrote:Westcarr hopeless

Who needs the goals from Grigg and Paterson when you've got Westcarr...?

:D

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Chomper wrote:3-1? BBC saying so!

And they're also showing us top of the league!

Flemish

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Top of the League!!!!! :o

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Still half time according to the BBC and Sky but according to Match en direct we are 3-1 up after 70 mins but the scorer is down as Joueur inconnu. Work that one out. They have all the other scores and yellow cards correct.

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Flemish wrote:Top of the League!!!!! :o

Leyton Orient have overtaken us by alphabetical order my Swedish friend.

asimpson
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Hemmings Man of the Match. This could be his season!

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:52 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:

Leyton have scored 4 now.

asimpson
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Full time 3-1

good start

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Full time according to Bescot Banter.

A great start; important that our front men scored early to silence any doubts about replacing the three amigos.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 pm

First Class start to the season 3-1 Well done the lads. :D :D :D

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Above the Wolves in the table :D

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:59 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:
DavidWFC2010 wrote:

Leyton have scored 4 now.

Westcarr is still the league's top scorer :shock:

Flemish

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:01 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:

Swedish???? Great result though, UTS!!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Flemish wrote:
DavidWFC2010 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:26 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
Flemish wrote:
DavidWFC2010 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My blondie haha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Good start, good result, well done the lads, I am delighted, roll on Oldham.....but it would appear they too can score a few!!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:32 pm

A comfortable win in the end. Played some nice stuff, bar a boring 25 minute spell at the start of second half.

We resorted to hoofball at one point, this is when we went a bit cack but Tranmere are a woeful team and never took advantage. The only reason they got back into the game was from very poor goalkeeping. A shot flew past his face, he was caught out by the obvious.

O Donnell : Had one thing to do all game and didnt do it. Jury still out. Also hoofed it countless times needlessly
Chambers : Solid as a rock
Butler : Mopped everything up, really should have scored at least one of his headers.
Downing : Let one bounce over him in first half, but otherwise solid. The only one at one point who tried to get the ball on the deck.
Benning : Few mistakes but had a very good game.

Mantom: All good, except when the midfield was being bypassed. Not his fault
Chambers : Mr Dependable
Baxendale : Quiet game for me, couldnt get into as much on the wing.
Westcarr : Despite scoring had a quiet game, i cannot believe the ref blew for a foul when he was about to put ball in the net.
Lalkovic : Class above. Pace, skill. Big player for us this season.
Hemmings : It was hard to pick a MOTM today but i don't disagree with him getting it.

Sawyers was superb when he came on.

Shocking referee, shocking Tranmere team,we are good when we play on the floor(obviously) and please can we shut upstairs every week?

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:36 pm

latviancheese wrote:A comfortable win in the end. Played some nice stuff, bar a boring 25 minute spell at the start of second half.

We resorted to hoofball at one point, this is when we went a bit cack but Tranmere are a woeful team and never took advantage. The only reason they got back into the game was from very poor goalkeeping. A shot flew past his face, he was caught out by the obvious.

O Donnell : Had one thing to do all game and didnt do it. Jury still out. Also hoofed it countless times needlessly
Chambers : Solid as a rock
Butler : Mopped everything up, really should have scored at least one of his headers.
Downing : Let one bounce over him in first half, but otherwise solid. The only one at one point who tried to get the ball on the deck.
Benning : Few mistakes but had a very good game.

Mantom: All good, except when the midfield was being bypassed. Not his fault
Chambers : Mr Dependable
Baxendale : Quiet game for me, couldnt get into as much on the wing.
Westcarr : Despite scoring had a quiet game, i cannot believe the ref blew for a foul when he was about to put ball in the net.
Lalkovic : Class above. Pace, skill. Big player for us this season.
Hemmings : It was hard to pick a MOTM today but i don't disagree with him getting it.

Sawyers was superb when he came on.

Shocking referee, shocking Tranmere team,we are good when we play on the floor(obviously) and please can we shut upstairs every week?

Was upstairs shut today then?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes. All the better for it.

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Forgive me, I wasn't there today. I'm getting the impression that Tranmere weren't very good. Were they really that bad, or were we really that good, if you know what I mean?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

saddlernoggin wrote:Forgive me, I wasn't there today. I'm getting the impression that Tranmere weren't very good. Were they really that bad, or were we really that good, if you know what I mean?

Both.

We were good, they were utter crap. Bog standard kick and rush rubbish with two massive black geezers up front.

tipton saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Still early days and tranmere were awful but having said that im very happy with that result, would like to echo the thoughs of other people regarding performances and also a word for sawyers who I thought looked sharp when he came on, MOTM was a difficult one but hemmings played as well as anyone else. All said and done great start to the season and nice to be watching some sexy football again :D

UTS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Shocking refereeing decision to deny westcarr a hat-trick

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Great performance, every player on the pitch had a great game, with the only ones looking shaky at times being O'Donnell and J Chambers. O'Donnell I can sympathise with as the free kick was brilliant, and Chambers only had 1 poor 5 minutes in the first half were he kept giving corners and free kicks away (One of which led to a goal) - other than that he was solid.

The referee was absolutely atrocious, and the linesman on the Family stand side was too.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:59 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Great performance, every player on the pitch had a great game, with the only ones looking shaky at times being O'Donnell and J Chambers. O'Donnell I can sympathise with as the free kick was brilliant, and Chambers only had 1 poor 5 minutes in the first half were he kept giving corners and free kicks away (One of which led to a goal) - other than that he was solid.

The referee was absolutely atrocious, and the linesman on the Family stand side was too.

He just made it up as he went along! Dont agree on the freekick, no one should be beaten from there. Oh well.

Hard to complain when you win 3-1 :)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Happiness has been registered in Berlin.

W

Sexual xxx

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Great way to start the season and I have to say I was disappointed that we only score 3! It could've easily been a cricket score by half time. The first half was sensational, I don't think Tranmere had a shot until their goal.

Second half started slowly, I thought we were dragged down to their level at times. As soon as we scored the third we took complete control.

As for individuals:

O'Donnell: didn't have a lot to do in all honesty, so hard to judge.

J.Chambers: solid as always, picked up where he left off last season.
Downing: calm and composed at all times, had a very good game.
Butler: decent enough game, however could've scored a couple of times and tends to hoof more than others.
Benning: had a good game, constantly made himself available on the left as an outlet which allowed to to stretch Tranmere.

A.Chambers: typical Chambers performance
Mantom: energetic and constantly involved, can't say he did much wrong.

Baxendale: poor game by his standards, looked uncomfortable on the wing, again, didn't do much wrong.
Westcarr: Had a very good game, especially first half. Topped it off with two goals, robbed a chance at a hattrick by abysmal officiating
Hemming: Fantastic, fully deserved MOTM.

Lalkovic: Constant thorn in Tranmere's side, they couldn't cope with his pace and trickery. He'll be a real asset this season.

SUBS:
Sawyers: Looked sharp and eager when he came one.
Featherstone: Didn't have much impact, slotted in nicely
Hewitt: no time to do anything.

The officiating was shocking. The referee was abysmal and the linesman on the family stand side really needs to be retaught the offside rule!

Overall, very positive start the season, and I think there's still a lot of room to improve. Onwards and upwards. UTS.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Can't have too many complaints about that performance. We were good, and despite people's opinions of Tranmere, Ronnie Moore's teams are always a decent test - particularly from set pieces.

Or the first half an hour, it was like we just picked up from where we left things last season - albeit with a different front three. The great thing about the Westcarr - Lalkovic partnership is that neither just stands still up front as a target man, and defenders struggle to pick them up as a result. Both goals were really good finishes.

I'll take issue with the way we let the free kick in, because I don't think anyone should be allowed to score a free kick from there - not without some sort of deflection anyway. Whilst O'Donnell didn't do anything else wrong, I hope Cutler runs through that goal with him again as it looked a bit of a shocker from where I was sitting. The goal also came about after a run of Tranmere corners where we seemed happy to let them play it short, and only sent one defender out to close the ball down. We'll get caught out if we keep doing that as it was far too easy fr them to get good crosses into the box.

With Tranmere's tails up, the start of the second half did become a battle of attrition and became a bit scrappy. That said, I always felt we looked the most likely to get the next goal, and I was proved right. The Hemmings, Lalkovic, Westcarr link-up was superb and a perfectly weighted through ball from the little Slovakian was well stuck away.

In terms of an overall assessment, I think we've managed to pick up from where we left off, but if today's anything to go by, we're arguably a little more accomplished all over the pitch, rather than being reliant on three or four players. Hemmings really was superb and fully deserved his man of the match award, but I thought Benning, Mantom, Downing, Lalkovic and Westcarr were all particularly good too.

So yeah, we were good against what I would probably still consider to be an average League One team. Onwards and upwards.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:51 pm

That's the way to start a new campaign! First 3 points of the season and here is to many more. We were superb first 35 minutes of the game, sexy football galore and Tranmere couldn't get near us. Neat build up play for the first goal which Westcarr clinically finished from 6 yards out. 2-0 not long after, a great finish from Lalkovic who looked lively all afternoon and very much deserved his debut goal. I thought we took our foot off the gas for the last 10 minutes of the first half which resulted in a superb free kick from Robinson - potential for O'Donnell to have done better maybe - that might be a tad harsh? The second half started slowly and the next goal was going to be crucial and thankfully Westcarr got it after neat build up play again. After the third goal we were able to see the game out pretty comfortably.

Ratings:

O'Donnell - Had a fairly quiet game and didn't really have a great deal to do. Would like to see him come off his line more to claim crosses like he did with one example in the second half but nothing to worrying at all.

Benning - Solid game and is more than an adequate replacement when Taylor is not out.

Butler - Usual Andy Butler performance with a bit more football added today!

Downing - Usual Paul Downing performance - the kid will be a star (longer contract negotiations please Deano).

J Chambers - I like Chambers for what he brings to the squad - experience, determination and a bit of fire but at times I think he gives silly fouls away such as the one that led to Tranmere's goal (correct me if i'm wrong please) and the one at the end of the game which nearly led to Koumas getting a 2nd goal for them and, as a result, could have led to unneccesary pressure being put on ourselves.

Mantom - Very impressive, he has developed so much since his first spell at the club and bulked up a bit.

A Chambers - Commitment, devoted and works his bloody knackers off - more of the same please AC.

Baxendale - Had one of his quieter games I thought but don't mind because the bloke is class.

Westcarr - Brilliant today - linked up the play well, caused a problem throughout and is such an intelligent player. More than deserved his brace.

Hemmings - MOTM for me. Superb display - he looks like the Ashley Hemmings that started last season but needs to maintain that throughout the whole of the campaign. He looked lively, run at players and caused many problems on both flanks.

Lalkovic - Lively display and could be an absolute gem. Deserved his goal and again, ala Hemmings, caused all sorts of problems, particularly when moving out wide in the second half, Tranmere's LB didn't know what day it was - I still think he will be best utilised out wide with Hewitt up top.

A very satisfying and pleasing start to the season - and that's all it is a start. But you can't help but be impressed with the display and fitness levels of the squad. I think the team, management and club as a whole have quietened the media about coping with the loss of 3 key players and 40 goals to a degree today. Onto Vale and Oldham! UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season