Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Sadsfan
Glitterati

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:10 pm

I thought Mantom was poor today, gave the ball away a few times and invited pressure onto us. Too many times he lacked composure and hoofed the ball either up in the air or to no one. He's great at the 5 yard pass but lacks vision. I think he looks good because of Chambers, he is no midfield general and he's not a playmaker so I'm struggling to see what exactly he brings to the team. From the moment that tranmere equalised he went missing and did nothing in the first half hour of the second half. On the plus side though he looks fit and runs about a lot so he looks busy doing the best part of Donald all.

I thought hemming's was immense and Baxo very disappointing but Romaine Sawyers is looking like a superstar and Mal Benning was also very solid and got forward well.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Sadsfan wrote:I thought Mantom was poor today, gave the ball away a few times and invited pressure onto us. Too many times he lacked composure and hoofed the ball either up in the air or to no one. He's great at the 5 yard pass but lacks vision. I think he looks good because of Chambers, he is no midfield general and he's not a playmaker so I'm struggling to see what exactly he brings to the team. From the moment that tranmere equalised he went missing and did nothing in the first half hour of the second half. On the plus side though he looks fit and runs about a lot so he looks busy doing the best part of Donald all.

There was far too much positivity on this thread before. Thanks for bringing us back down to earth.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Sadsfan wrote:I thought Mantom was poor today, gave the ball away a few times and invited pressure onto us. Too many times he lacked composure and hoofed the ball either up in the air or to no one. He's great at the 5 yard pass but lacks vision. I think he looks good because of Chambers, he is no midfield general and he's not a playmaker so I'm struggling to see what exactly he brings to the team. From the moment that tranmere equalised he went missing and did nothing in the first half hour of the second half. On the plus side though he looks fit and runs about a lot so he looks busy doing the best part of Donald all.

I thought hemming's was immense and Baxo very disappointing but Romaine Sawyers is looking like a superstar and Mal Benning was also very solid and got forward well.

Unbelievable! :roll:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23 pm

:D only Mantom and Baxo were disappointing for me, the rest were fabulous. I criticised Westcarr a lot last season, but he seems to have lost a bit of weight and looks all the better for it. Lalkovic was also excellent and how fast is he!? Hemming's was motm by a mile; he looked a real handful with the ball at his feet. Andy Taylor will struggle to get his place back as well.

Better? :wink:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:24 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Unbelievable why?

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Unbelievable why?

Mantom does exactly what Chambers does, closes down and breaks up play. He did make a number of cross field passes during the game, but passing the ball 5 yards is useful as we retain possession! I assume you berated Featherstone when he came on as he very rarely passes the ball more than 5 yards! We have 4 forwards to do the creative side and Mantom will chip in with goals this season mark my words.

Better :wink:

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:38 pm

O'Donnell - Didnt have a great amount too do but coped well with the little he did do (6)
J.Chambers - Average for me, sloppy at times and gave a free kick away which led to their goal (5)
Downing - Brilliant, other clubs will be after him no doubt (7)
Butler - Usual Performance, just love him (7)
Benning - Could well kick Taylor out of the starting 11 (7)
A.Chambers - Superb as always (7.5)
Mantom - Thought he needlessly gave the ball away at times but was ok in the main (6)
Baxendale - Quiet today, don't think being on the wing suites him (6)
Westcarr - For anyone anyone who is unsure as to what he brings, you saw it today! Worked well with Lalkovic and took his goals well (8)
Hemmings - Best player on the pitch without doubt, ran at them all day and cause problems all day (9)
Lalkovic - Took his goal well and just bags of quality, will score more in this league (8)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Unbelievable why?

Mantom does exactly what Chambers does, closes down and breaks up play. He did make a number of cross field passes during the game, but passing the ball 5 yards is useful as we retain possession! I assume you berated Featherstone when he came on as he very rarely passes the ball more than 5 yards! We have 4 forwards to do the creative side and Mantom will chip in with goals this season mark my words.

Take Chambers out of our midfield and we're in trouble, I can't say the same about Mantom. I didn't berate Featherstone as I think he should be in the team ahead of Mantom.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 pm

I don't since Mantom is a good player, and is also the only one in the centre who can strike a ball as well.

SWS1

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Grait bein a Worsul supporter, ay it?
:D :D :D :D

SWS1

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:19 pm

BTW according to the BBC, it's still half time and we are 3 up! :shock:
But we are also second in the league! :mrgreen:
Can the season end now, please? :mrgreen:

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Unbelievable why?

Take Chambers out of our midfield and we're in trouble, I can't say the same about Mantom. I didn't berate Featherstone as I think he should be in the team ahead of Mantom.

We did for 15 mins and we coped, highlighting that we have 3 capable midfielders vying for 2 places meaning healthy competition.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Fish wrote:
paddy wrote:.....4785 there,.......

Nearly! 4783. Soton made it 4788? We need a recount

3000 were there for the wedding.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:01 pm

Cracking first win against a team we made look very poor. Maybe they are actually poor, maybe they're not, but from the off we taught them a footballing lesson for half an hour or so and it made me all the happier that I haven't got to watch the kind of dross all season they will have to. They scored from their first serious effort and it knocked us off our stride a little. After half time they, expectedly, came at us a bit but the third goal ended the game and we again were in control. The outright skill, pace and tricks of Lalkovic and Hemmings matched that of the Brandy/Pato roles and if the team keeps it up, there's no reason why the attack can't score a similar amount of goals. Very promising start all round...

O'Donnell - not alot to do but looked ok. Early days but I have concerns about him not coming off his line enough at times - hopefully i'm wrong.
Chambers - solid as ever.
Benning - good game and showed signs of improving reading the game despite some rough treatment from one of their many donkeys.
Downing - misread one ball over the top but is a Rolls Royce.
Butler - solid at the back as usual. May be disappointed he didn't score.
Chambers - solid, another commited display.
Mantom - don't understand the criticism - did ok. Early on in the game he was particularly involved.
Baxendale - maybe not his best game but thought he was neat and tidy.
Hemmings - we called him MOTM before they did officially. Was a thorn in the side of Tranmere all game with pace and skill - hopefully it will be his year.
Lalkovic - real box of tricks. Loads of skill, put plenty of effort in and just needs the ball to feet whenever possible. Could be the gem of the team.
Westcarr - two goals, worked hard, linked play well - another 99 games like this and maybe he'll win people over :roll: The decision to stop the game by the ref when he was about to shoot was disgraceful and robbed him of the match ball.

Featherstone - did a job
Hewitt - came on late, no real time
Sawyers - looked bright, few nice touches of promise
Last edited by kshammer on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 pm

kshammer wrote:Cracking first win against a team we made look very poor. Maybe they are actually poor, maybe they're not, but from the off we taught them a footballing lesson for half an hour or so and it made me all the happier that I haven't got to watch the kind of dross all season they will have to. They scored from their first serious effort and it knocked us off our stride a little. After half time they, expectedly, came at us a bit but the third goal ended the game and we again were in control. The outright skill, pace and tricks of Lalkovic and Hemmings matched that of the Brandy/Pato roles and if the team keeps it up, there's no reason why the attack can't score a similar amount of goals. Very promising start all round...

O'Donnell - not alot to do but looked ok. Early days but I have concerns about him not coming off his line enough at times - hopefully i'm wrong.
Benning - good game and showed signs of improving reading the game despite some rough treatment from one of their many donkeys.
Mantom - don't understand the criticism - did ok. Early on in the game he was particularly involved.
Hemmings - we called him MOTM before they did officially. Was a thorn in the side of Tranmere all game with pace and skill - hopefully it will be his year.
Lalkovic - real box of tricks. Loads of skill, put plenty of effort in and just needs the ball to feet whenever possible. Could be the gem of the team.
Westlake - two goals, worked hard, linked play well - another 99 games like this and maybe he'll win people over :roll: The decision to stop the game by the ref when he was about to shoot was disgraceful and robbed him of the match ball.

Featherstone - did a job
Sawyers - came on late, no real time

Didn't realise we had two sets of twins

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm

IHTC. wrote:
kshammer wrote:Cracking first win against a team we made look very poor. Maybe they are actually poor, maybe they're not, but from the off we taught them a footballing lesson for half an hour or so and it made me all the happier that I haven't got to watch the kind of dross all season they will have to. They scored from their first serious effort and it knocked us off our stride a little. After half time they, expectedly, came at us a bit but the third goal ended the game and we again were in control. The outright skill, pace and tricks of Lalkovic and Hemmings matched that of the Brandy/Pato roles and if the team keeps it up, there's no reason why the attack can't score a similar amount of goals. Very promising start all round...

Westlake - two goals, worked hard, linked play well - another 99 games like this and maybe he'll win people over :roll: The decision to stop the game by the ref when he was about to shoot was disgraceful and robbed him of the match ball.

Featherstone - did a job

And Westlake upfront, thought we'd sold him to Sheff Utd a couple of years back :mrgreen:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
IHTC. wrote:

Featherstone - did a job

And Westlake upfront, thought we'd sold him to Sheff Utd a couple of years back :mrgreen:

They do look similar

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:27 pm

:lol:

I was calling him Westlake today at the game - watched Sheff Utd last night so it was lodged in my brain. Sawyers X2 was another fudge up - i'm on top form.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:27 pm

It wasn't just two teams that met today, to me it seemed like two eras. The modern era represented by the home side - getting it down, passing, moving, interchangeable positions and altogether sexiness. Up against a by-gone era of long-ball, big blokes and trying to kick the skilful players out of the game. As upstairs was shut I was sat right by the dug-outs and to be honest Moore looked shell-shocked with that first half an hour. It was football from the gods and he and his team looked lost. We could have been six up in the first 30 minutes. In any era, the ref was poor.

All really positive stuff. I'm a bit apprehensive about the 'keeper. he looks a bit of a Subbutteo 'keeper to me in that it looks like someone behind the goal is holding him back by a stick. His indecision in the last minute should have resulted in a pen and a Butler red card which would have put a dampener on an otherwise fantastic day.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Cracking performance. Smith is doing a fantastic job of turning Walsall FC into one of the most attractive sides to watch in the football league. Full credit to Smith, his management team and the players for buying into his philosophy.

O'Donnell - Decent enough game for me. Bearing in mind it was his first official full debut I think he did pretty well.
J.Chambers - Gave away a couple of fouls in dangerous areas but overall, superb.
Benning - Quality. With performances like this Taylor (whom I rate highly) might struggle to get back in. N.B. Wolves can do one.
Downing - Baller. Awesome.
Butler - Captain Buts. Fab!
Baxendale - Quiet game but worked his northern dangles off for his side.
Mantom - Important member of the side. A lot of Mantoms work both on and off the ball gets unnoticed. Decent game for me.
A.Chambers - Same as Mantom.
Hemmings - Tremendous. Easily my Man of the Match.
Westcarr - Smith is realising his mans potential. Cracking performance and superb brace.
Lalkovic - Fits our style a treat. Another who will be massive for us this season. Hell of a strike on his first full proper debut.

Subs:

Sawyers - Looked absolutely class when he came on. Exciting prospect.
Featherstone - Very tidy indeed. Will hopefully push his team mates hard this season.
Last edited by Walsall_Casual on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:32 pm

PT wrote:It wasn't just two teams that met today, to me it seemed like two eras. The modern era represented by the home side - getting it down, passing, moving, interchangeable positions and altogether sexiness. Up against a by-gone era of long-ball, big blokes and trying to kick the skilful players out of the game.

We said the same thing on the way out.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 pm

PT wrote:Moore looked shell-shocked with that first half an hour. It was football from the gods and he and his team looked lost. We could have been six up in the first 30 minutes. In any era, the ref was poor.

We really battered them in proper footballing terms, didn't we. One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is the three really good saves Fon Williams pulled off in quite quick succession in that first half. Without them - from the league's best goalkeeper - we'd have been well out of sight at half time.

PT wrote:All really positive stuff. I'm a bit apprehensive about the 'keeper. he looks a bit of a Subbutteo 'keeper to me in that it looks like someone behind the goal is holding him back by a stick. His indecision in the last minute should have resulted in a pen and a Butler red card which would have put a dampener on an otherwise fantastic day.

Agreed - I think that's where there's room for improvement. If there's one thing to take heart from, it's that Jihn Ruddy was exactly the same, if not worse, when we had him on loan. He's a regular in the England squad now, so it is something that can be coached. Hopefully Cutler will sort it out with him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm

There was some actual coaching before the game with the keepers. Ive never seen that :lol:

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 pm

What a fantastic start to the season. My main observations are as follows;
1.WIthout the 3 deserters we still have a team that play football that is a delight to watch.All credit to the management team.
2.Closing the upper teir is the way forward.The atmosphere was fantastic today.It felt like a away game type of crowd.loud and passionate.The opening of the upper tier with our fan base was a disaster.More Indian weddings please!
3.Early days but the weak link appears to be the keeper.Hopefully I'm wrong but I feel there is work to be done in this area.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Well done the lads - I had fears of getting nothing from the scouse neanderthals!
And the reports are great too.

One quote caught my eye as it's worthy of Shakespeare or at least some outstanding wordssmith.
latviancheese wrote: A shot flew past his face, he was caught out by the obvious.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
Sadsfan wrote:
ToeJoe Jnr wrote:

Unbelievable why?

Seriously? We will be fighting to keep hold of Mantom if he keeps improving the way he is. I think he is a fantastic player. Not that Featherstone isn't, very tidy player, but I do feel he needs to up his game ever so slightly to push for a place in our team now.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Firstly, if I had to sit downstairs every game I'd hand my season ticket back. No fudge view of the spaces and distances.

Good performance. Their goal was never a free kick.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:35 pm

tinned wrote:Firstly, if I had to sit downstairs every game I'd hand my season ticket back. No donald view of the spaces and distances.

Good performance. Their goal was never a free kick.

How could you tell with such a poor view ? :lol:

swiftbob

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 pm

So good that when we have to knock it long It feels wrong, also 9 of the starting 11 players were here last year just the keeper and Milan new arrivals from last season, impressive considering players we lost, Hemmings, I hold my hands up he was awesome didn't think he had it in him

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season